Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm a firm believer that drugs can help though. Ask Stephen King

Weed, sure. But heroin? C'mon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think it's a guy who backslid into hard drug abuse being grouchy and that people are letting the "Wayne is losing it!" narrative color their interpretation of events. At any rate, trying to affect more outrage than Drozd seems to feel over the deal is a little much.

Just for clarification, I'm pretty sure Steven was talking about alcohol and not heroin. He went to rehab for drinking back in 2010, but as far as I know he hasn't touched heroin since he quit back in 2001. And thank god for that.

Not to say that relapsing into drinking is a Good Thing, but you know what I mean.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just for clarification, I'm pretty sure Steven was talking about alcohol and not heroin.

You seem to be way more up on Lips stuff than I am, but the troubles have been characterized as "drug-related" and not mere "alcoholism" and that's the type of distinction people tend to make.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

You seem to be way more up on Lips stuff than I am, but the troubles have been characterized as "drug-related" and not mere "alcoholism" and that's the type of distinction people tend to make.

I'm pretty sure that if anyone in the band has been doing drugs the past few years, it's Wayne. I could be wrong, though.

Anyways, the Lips are going to be playing WB's SXSW showcase on March 14, and it's going to be streamed live here. It also looks like they've been shooting a music video over the past few days, so maybe we'll finally get to hear something new from the record soon.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Well, there is this video of the recording sessions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk4K-UzqKp8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^^That's awesome.

CPL593H posted:

Normal people don't make good art. I just accept the fact that most of the people who make stuff I like are crazy assholes.

Axl Rose is an rear end in a top hat racist, but I will never stop listening to Gn'R :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

leica posted:

Axl Rose is an rear end in a top hat racist, but I will never stop listening to Gn'R :colbert:

You should though, because they're Guns n Roses.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I suppose you don't like Motley Crue either. Figures :rolleyes:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leica posted:

I suppose you don't like Motley Crue either. Figures :rolleyes:

I loving hate Motley Crue.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm a firm believer that drugs can help though. Ask Stephen King

An ex-alcoholic and cokehead who has been sober since the 80s?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I loving hate Motley Crue.

Do you like any 80's hair metal? (serious question)

I grew up during that period so I guess I have a soft spot for it :3:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leica posted:

I grew up during that period so I guess I have a soft spot for it :3:

Not at all. In fact I have a special hatred for it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Slackerish posted:

An ex-alcoholic and cokehead who has been sober since the 80s?

Isn't also "he was on a lot of drugs at the time" the go-to excuse for the worst elements of his worst books?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Kalos posted:

Isn't also "he was on a lot of drugs at the time" the go-to excuse for the worst elements of his worst books?

No. Most folks regard his earlier stuff as being his best stuff and the only books I've heard long-time fans rip on were books 5-7 of the Dark Tower series and he was clean as hell when he wrote those (I liked them all).

Not that that has anything to do with the Flaming Lips though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

leica posted:

Guns N Roses weren't hair metal. :colbert:

Appetite for Destruction is still a fantastic album. It was literally the Never Mind the Bollocks for the 80s (in good AND bad ways).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

precision posted:

Guns N Roses weren't hair metal. :colbert:

They were part of the same scene and came out during that time so technically yeah they were. They just sold a hell of a lot more records than everyone else so some people think they are exempt somehow.

Hair metal gets a bad rap because of all the horrible bands, but there were some really good talented bands too. I went to a lot of shows during that time and they were some of the best shows I've ever seen. Monsters of Rock comes to mind, good poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Talking Heads and Blondie came out at the same time as the Ramones and played at CBGB all the time but I wouldn't call them punk rock.

Do you have a different word for like White Snake and Ratt and Poison or something? Cause those are what I think of when I think Hair Metal and I wouldn't say they sound like GNR. I was born in 89 though so I don't have first hand experience with that scene.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
These Sure Are Some Flaming Lips 2013: Conversations about Hair Metal and Stephen King

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Slackerish posted:

These Sure Are Some Flaming Lips 2013: Conversations about Hair Metal and Stephen King

The only thing good about Stephen King is that people took some of his books and made them into way better movies.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

CPL593H posted:

The only thing good about Stephen King is that people took some of his books and made them into way better movies.

The Dark Tower series is pretty awesome :colbert:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Ok you've had some provocative opinions before but now you are just trolling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Talking Heads and Blondie came out at the same time as the Ramones and played at CBGB all the time but I wouldn't call them punk rock.

The Talking Heads and Blondie aren't anywhere near the same zipcode as the Ramones come on dude. If anything I would put them in the New Wave genre not punk.

Have you seen pictures of GnR right around when they were signed? They were a hair or "glam band".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal

quote:

Mötley Crüe with Girls, Girls, Girls (1987) continued their run of commercial success,[24] and Def Leppard with Hysteria (1987) hit their commercial peak, the latter producing a hard rock record of seven hit singles.[17] L.A. band Faster Pussycat released their eponymous début, but the greatest success was Guns N' Roses, originally formed from a fusion of bands L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose, who released the best-selling début of all time, Appetite for Destruction (1987). With a "grittier" and "rawer" sound than most glam metal, it produced three top 10 hits, including the number one "Sweet Child O' Mine".[41] Such was the dominance of the style that Californian hardcore punk band T.S.O.L. moved towards a glam metal sound in this period.[42][43]

Like I said, just because they sold more records doesn't make them exempt, they are a hair metal band. Watch the Welcome to the Jungle video and tell me Axl Rose isn't the lead singer of a hair band.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 17, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

Ok you've had some provocative opinions before but now you are just trolling.

Considering that one such film was made by one of the greatest directors who ever lived I don't see why this would be controversial.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Considering that one such film was made by one of the greatest directors who ever lived I don't see why this would be controversial.

You're talking about the Shining, and personally I would say that both are great in their own rights. Outside of that you have a made for TV movie that's only good thing is Tim Curry's Pennywise, a vastly overrated Shawshank Redemption, and then a pile of flaming poo poo.

Also I can understand defending Appetite for Destruction-era Guns and Roses but Motley Crue sucks poo poo.

For content, I listened to the 6 hour song the other day, the whole thing, and found it to be a nice experience.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

You're talking about the Shining, and personally I would say that both are great in their own rights. Outside of that you have a made for TV movie that's only good thing is Tim Curry's Pennywise, a vastly overrated Shawshank Redemption, and then a pile of flaming poo poo.

Also I can understand defending Appetite for Destruction-era Guns and Roses but Motley Crue sucks poo poo.

For content, I listened to the 6 hour song the other day, the whole thing, and found it to be a nice experience.

Everyone forgets how good Misery is. The IT "movie" is a steaming pile of poo poo. The Mist is surprisingly great (make sure you watch the black and white version), Carrie is another classic, The Green Mile was really good. There's probably others I'm forgetting. And yes there are plenty more that are total stinkers. But anyway, I find his books unreadable.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
King's short stories tend to be way better than his novels, since he doesn't have enough time to crawl completely up his own rear end.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

Everyone forgets how good Misery is. The IT "movie" is a steaming pile of poo poo. The Mist is surprisingly great (make sure you watch the black and white version), Carrie is another classic, The Green Mile was really good. There's probably others I'm forgetting. And yes there are plenty more that are total stinkers. But anyway, I find his books unreadable.

Ok, point taken. I didn't think the Mist was that hot, but I was also thinking IT, The Running Man, The Lawnmower Man, The Langoliers, The Tommyknockers, the Dead Zone, the television version of the Shining, ad nauseum. His books aren't literary masterpieces, but they are easy to read page turners that are fun. If you don't like even his good works, then I respect that.

And my point was most of his better stuff came while he was constantly strung out on drugs. After he kicked the habit his books have been really hit and miss, with more misses than hits honestly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cujo, Pet Sematary, Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Thinner, 'Salem's Lot...

The point is that when you think "Steven King film adaption", most people think "wow, who greenlit that one?"

...I like The Running Man, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Cujo, Pet Sematary, Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Thinner, 'Salem's Lot...

The point is that when you think "Steven King film adaption", most people think "wow, who greenlit that one?"

...I like The Running Man, though.

This is why my original comment was "some of his books".

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

"Oh, gee! 12 new posts in the flaming lips thread! Maybe a single was released or some cool flips news emerged!!"

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

WASDF posted:

"Oh, gee! 12 new posts in the flaming lips thread! Maybe a single was released or some cool flips news emerged!!"
Yeah, can we please stop this derail and talk about The Flaming Lips?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hughesta posted:

Yeah, can we please stop this derail and talk about The Flaming Lips?

OK.

So what do you guys think is Steven Drozd's favorite movie based on a Steven King novel?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. Did you know Stephen loves Kiss? I bet he loves glam metal too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
- Appetite For Destruction contains little or no songs which closely resemble the dominant glam-hair metal scenes. It has many which are radically different to that sound; "Mr. Brownstone", "Out Ta Get Me", "Nightrain", "Welcome to the Jungle", "You're Crazy" are in direct opposition to any hair-glam of the time.

- That the band dressed in a hair-glam style was not their idea; Geffen essentially forced them into it. Regardless, the way a band dresses really shouldn't reflect on what genre their music is. :confused:

Sorry this derail happened but I wanted to correct those two glaring bits of wrongness.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who cares, this thread was due for a derail because it was getting boring.

And clearly you're in denial about GnR being a glam band. Deal with it, it's on Wiki :v:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is Bon Jovi a glam band?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
what do you guys think Wayne Coyne's favorite Stephen King book is?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Desperation.

Sorry, it was too easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Slackerish posted:

what do you guys think Wayne Coyne's favorite Stephen King book is?

The one with the giant spider, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

You guys know that the C.C. from 'Ode to C.C.' is the guitarist from Poison (and Part 1 has a backwards sample of Talk Dirty to Me in it) and that Wayne has admitted that Chrome Plated Suicide is a pretty blatant ripoff of Sweet Child o' Mine, right?

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 18, 2013

• Locked thread