Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

dud root posted:

Avoid the OSA class & dont spend points on these skills at all for a first SS2 playthrough: PSI, Exotic weapons

Except dump enough points into Exotic to equip the Crystal Shard if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StickySweater posted:

Does anyone remember a review series with the really spergy narrator? I remember it being pretty funny, but I only remember him reviewing Tomb Raider 3.

You mean the "Lara Croft should have breast cancer!" thing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0lzbCK9f8

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

pyrotek posted:

Is there a way to emulate EAX today?

macnbc posted:

Yes, if you still have a Soundblaster card. Creative ALchemy converts old EAX titles to be compatible.

This is actually unnecessary with the patch that came out a couple of months ago!

SS2 Patch notes posted:

- Option to use OpenAL (if available) instead of DirectSound. Includes support for audio effects in Windows 7 without an EAX-enabled driver (e.g. ALchemy)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

So basically go Marine and broken guns only? Sounds like fun~.

There's at least 3 or 4 guns that completely ignore the breaking effect or have no recoil. The one easiest to remember is the Assault Rifle in the locked room on the first level by the crew quarters(Med, I think).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

There's also a config file option to disable weapon degradation entirely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

macnbc posted:

So I've been reading about how System Shock 2 got to GOG today, and it's really loving weird.

So, as is common knowledge, the legal situation of SS2 is a complete tangled clusterfuck. GOG had been trying to cut through it for years with pretty slow progress.

Meanwhile, this new upstart studio called Night Dive appears out of nowhere and somehow manages to get the digital distribution rights.

Night Dive contacted GOG, GOG's lawyers confirmed they were legit, and off they went.

There's an RPS article interviewing Night Dive and GOG about it, but this whole thing is just strange. EA, GOG, and everyone else couldn't get the legal situation resolved for years and years and suddenly this new studio comes out of nowhere and gets them?

I don't get it.

I looked up Stephen Kick and found his LinkedIn. He's a freelance artist, not that much experience honestly but he is involved in the industry to some degree. Based on the interview, he spent 4-5 years himself trying to untangle the legal issues. Honestly, this isn't the first story about some random guy investing personal resources to get an ancient game's rights. Greg Pabich bought all the assets to Active Enterprises just so he could officially release Cheetahmen 2.

But in the end, we win so the details aren't that important as long as I get my game!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

There's also a config file option to disable weapon degradation entirely.

That's the rudest thing you can do. Don't do that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The best thing to remember is to turn the music off completely. It ruins immersion and is often bad to boot. (I'm looking at you super-upbeat breakbeat track when you first get out of Cryo B).

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Dang guess I can't lord over anybody with my SS2 disc anymore. Oh well I still have half of the games in that most wanted list.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oldstench posted:

The best thing to remember is to turn the music off completely. It ruins immersion and is often bad to boot. (I'm looking at you super-upbeat breakbeat track when you first get out of Cryo B).

Whoa, whoa you shut your mouth.

SS2 has a fantastic soundtrack.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oldstench posted:

I don't think stepping out of Cryo B for the first time would have had nearly the impact it did for me without the music.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
When I was playing SS2 for the first time, I got to one point and literally didn't move for about 15 minutes.
I could hear an invisible arachnid hanging around somewhere, and was waiting to hear it move so I could know that I would have a chance of spotting it before it attacked me.

It is a game where you will probably spend most of your time below 100% health, looking for some junk food to eat to get your health up a bit.
You'll be running low on health and still hang onto your medkits because you'll need them more at some point in the future.

Enemies come in different flavours of gently caress you and although the game does let you feel as if you're turning into a proper badass, there's always enough new stuff going on to keep you on your toes.

In short, it's a brilliant bastard of a game that everyone needs to play.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

kingturnip posted:

When I was playing SS2 for the first time, I got to one point and literally didn't move for about 15 minutes.
I could hear an invisible arachnid hanging around somewhere, and was waiting to hear it move so I could know that I would have a chance of spotting it before it attacked me.

The best thing was that the positional sound (especially if you had EAX and were wearing headphones or had surround sound) was good enough you could pinpoint where it was from the sound alone. It could be memory playing with me, but I swear no games since have done positional audio as well as the dark engine games.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
Hauling rear end through Fluidics Control to the soothing strains of Coolant Tubes and having the Rec deck music become even more frightening after hearing "Stay out of the mall if you can. It crawls." One of the best game soundtracks ever.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving christ! SS2 coming out on gog is the best gaming news I've read in years! I still have my original disc version box here, but the disc itself is at one of my friends. He borrowed it in like 2002 and never returned it. I think it's time to gift him (and all my other friends) this and then require my disc back loving pronto.

quote:

"The Polito form is dead, insect. Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN."

I can actually feel the shivers running down my spine.

EDIT: Sorry for that, spoilered it just in case.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 14, 2013

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

^^^^ spoiler that!!!!

I am so damned worried that someone will pick up System Shock 2 and mod out weapon degradation, play it on something other than the hardest difficulty, or with some silly hack that turns it into a shooter. A shooter!

I really am. This game was meant to be played not knowing a damned thing about it, and reacting to what in other games would be game-breaking inconveniences.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 14, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New players please tell me your reaction to the cyborg midwife, thanks.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Jesus loving christ! SS2 coming out on gog is the best gaming news I've read in years! I still have my original disc version box here, but the disc itself is at one of my friends. He borrowed it in like 2002 and never returned it. I think it's time to gift him (and all my other friends) this and then require my disc back loving pronto.

I can actually feel the shivers running down my spine.

EDIT: Sorry for that, spoilered it just in case.

Yikes, I hope no one that hasn't played the game saw that.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Has anyone said anything about the coop or connectivity? Has that been updated at all or is it even in the game? I assume we'd have to use hamachi anyway. If anyone has any tips re: SS2 coop and making it work they'd be appreciated.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

al-azad posted:

Greg Pabich bought all the assets to Active Enterprises just so he could officially release Cheetahmen 2.

Oh my god, is that true? :allears: if so that's ridiculous and amazing.

Do we know how much it cost? Hah!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god, is that true? :allears: if so that's ridiculous and amazing.

Do we know how much it cost? Hah!

A lot. It was $60 during the Kickstarter, I should have hopped on that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I really shouldn't buy SS2 since I'm out of work with a sprained foot but gently caress it. You guys have sold me on it.

I'm assuming it won't be over $10

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

al-azad posted:

New players please tell me your reaction to the cyborg midwife, thanks.

Don't remind me of that, that may be the only thing that legitimately scared me in a game until Amnesia came out.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of things called SS2, I just bought Silent Storm 2: Gold Edition, and I can't wait to play it again :allears: I'm going to be using every explosive I can get my hands on, I love destructible terrain. :black101:

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Heti posted:

Has anyone said anything about the coop or connectivity? Has that been updated at all or is it even in the game? I assume we'd have to use hamachi anyway. If anyone has any tips re: SS2 coop and making it work they'd be appreciated.
It does have multiplayer and it is co-op only. Just use Hamachi and you'll be fine.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Douche Bag posted:

I really shouldn't buy SS2 since I'm out of work with a sprained foot but gently caress it. You guys have sold me on it.

I'm assuming it won't be over $10

It's ten bucks.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
SS2 being released is such great news. I bought the game as soon as it came out and it quickly became one of my favorite games; I was disappointed that it had sold so poorly and got such limited marketing. Was also bummed when I heard that the original ending cutscenes had been lost (hard drive crash I think) so they had to quickly throw something together--the ending worked, but I guess the planned one was much better.

I'm happy that all the people who missed out on a fun and creepy game will get a chance to see it.

Even though I still have my disk, I'll pick up the digital version. Hoarders: The Elevator Edition will begin anew!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
YESSSSS instant buy. I don't care if I can't get it running on a mac, someday i'll probably buy a windows computer again and that game will the first thing i install.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've never finished SS2, and when it comes out tomorrow I might trying playing through it co-op with a buddy. Assuming they didn't remove that feature for some reason. Does the game adjust enemies and items at all for multiple players or should we up the difficultly and make sure to ration supplies?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Contest Winner posted:

I've never finished SS2, and when it comes out tomorrow I might trying playing through it co-op with a buddy. Assuming they didn't remove that feature for some reason. Does the game adjust enemies and items at all for multiple players or should we up the difficultly and make sure to ration supplies?

Pretty sure the game doesn't really adjust for those things in coop. Cybernetic modules/nanites are given to both players but I think ammo and other resources are limited.

The coop was kind of added later and not really balance from what I know.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

GoldenNugget posted:

Pretty sure the game doesn't really adjust for those things in coop. Cybernetic modules/nanites are given to both players but I think ammo and other resources are limited.

I played through a bunch of the game in 4 player co-op a few years ago. It can work as long as you have 1-2 people spec heavy into melee and make sure you never ever waste a bullet.

It's sure as poo poo not balanced, but it can still be fun.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.
Play System Shock 2 tomorrow or take the wife out for Valentine's day?

Wife or Shodan?

Choices, choices....

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

GoldenNugget posted:

It was still fun, though. Things are still scary even when there are two of you!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gehenomm posted:

Play System Shock 2 tomorrow or take the wife out for Valentine's day?

Wife or Shodan?

Choices, choices....

Shodan will always wait for you. Can't say the same about your significant other.

Unless you killed her and replaced her with a robotic wife. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

doctorfrog posted:

I am so damned worried that someone will pick up System Shock 2 and mod out weapon degradation, play it on something other than the hardest difficulty, or with some silly hack that turns it into a shooter. A shooter!

I really am. This game was meant to be played not knowing a damned thing about it, and reacting to what in other games would be game-breaking inconveniences.

You can rest easy some of us are purists and like to experience a game's authenticity exactly as it's meant to be experienced. I hardly ever use "mods" on a game unless I absolutely have to.

It's fantastic to see GOG reaching yet another milestone. They are getting close to having everything a PC gaming nut could possibly want.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

doctorfrog posted:

Alternately, people reading this thread are likely to go pure psi. But I guess that's not worse?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 14, 2013

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

So I suppose I better buy this game and play it hey? I'm getting mixed signals from the thread.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Alternately, people reading this thread are likely to go pure psi. But I guess that's not worse?

I went pure psi on my first playthrough back when it came out and I endured. The best thing is not to worry about it, because honestly the game isn't that difficult.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Guys, I'm thinking of staying up for this :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

404notfound posted:

Guys, I'm thinking of staying up for this :ohdear:

It needs to hurry the heck up. At least I'll just be getting out of work when it comes out over here. I'm excited about the extras that will come with it.