Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Lake Effect posted:

Since we're on the subject of cable breaking. The only fatality from this 86 car pileup in Cincinnati was a 12 year old girl standing on the median who was struck by a median cable from another accident down the highway. I didn't even think those cables were under that much pressure.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130122/NEWS01/301220042/Girl-killed-275-pileup-mourned

Something about those median cables really bothers me. It seems like they would perform well when arresting a vehicle, but perform terribly in many other ways. I suppose the benefits of reducing head-on collisions outweigh the danger posed to people outside of a car. I can't imagine what those things would do to a motorcyclist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jork Juggler posted:

I suppose the benefits of reducing head-on collisions outweigh the danger posed to people outside of a car.

Somehow I doubt the possibility of someone standing nearby the cable(s) during an accident ever factor in when they decide to use them over a concrete center divider. Its not like medians are frequently occupied by bystanders, making the chance of someone standing in the vicinity next to zero in the event of an accident.

They also seem to be a lot easier on the car/occupants than a solid divider. Last summer I saw a full-size SUV in the middle lane merge into a compact car in the left lane at highway speed (I was fortunate enough to be 3-4 car lengths back in the middle lane at the time.) Somehow both vehicles made a 90 degree turn and smacked head-on into a cable divider. While the vehicles were damaged and most likely totaled, it was hardly the "everything forward of the firewall is compressed into a 1' thick block of engine and sheetmetal" you see in a head-on vehicle vs. concrete divider collision.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The cable dividers are alot better than the complete lack of a divider that many divided highways still have, and better than concrete walls; better on vehicles and their occupants, wildlife can get through them, they're cheaper and faster to install too, I believe. If you are stupid enough to stand near them during a pileup, you're probably too stupid to survive having a license.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

The cable dividers are alot better than the complete lack of a divider that many divided highways still have, and better than concrete walls; better on vehicles and their occupants, wildlife can get through them, they're cheaper and faster to install too, I believe. If you are stupid enough to stand near them during a pileup, you're probably too stupid to survive having a license.

Well...to be fair, the girl was 12.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 14, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jork Juggler posted:

I can't imagine what those things would do to a motorcyclist.

You wind up with 3 motorcyclist fillets.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

That's 1.5" chain...

Posted this before but....yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGyvZSnjVLc

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

some texas redneck posted:

You wind up with 3 motorcyclist fillets.

I was going to say, theyre pretty much 100% fatal to the motorcyclist. Theyre popular in Australia instead of Armco because of the cost factor, but even a minor off will cause one to kill a cyclist

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
When I worked on an ambulance I picked up motorcyclists that had crashed into all sorts of things. The cable style guard rails never seemed to cause more damage than other types. With most of the motorcycle versus guard rail accidents I worked on, the largest injuries were from the rider impacting one of the supporting posts while sliding on the ground. Admittedly this is a small sample size and totally anecdotal. Frankly I wouldn't want to strike any form of divider at highway speeds

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ferremit posted:

I was going to say, theyre pretty much 100% fatal to the motorcyclist. Theyre popular in Australia instead of Armco because of the cost factor, but even a minor off will cause one to kill a cyclist

I remember the uproar among bikers when the Victorian government first started changing over to them. What really pissed people off was that they outright refused to perform any tests on whether or not the cables were more deadly to people on motorcycles than the old metal barriers.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember the uproar among bikers when the Victorian government first started changing over to them. What really pissed people off was that they outright refused to perform any tests on whether or not the cables were more deadly to people on motorcycles than the old metal barriers.

Why would they want to do that? They are assholes about everything that isn't a beige transport appliance so why would motorcyclists be excepted?

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Pulled this out of a 2006 ML 350. Remember to not get your oil changed by "a sketchy dude".

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 14, 2013

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Munin posted:

With time, seawater and a bit of swell...

Almost 9 months in the middle of Mass Bay. We've seen worse.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Gunbus posted:

Pulled this out of a 2006 ML 350. Remember to not get your oil changed by "a sketchy dude".

'Scuse my car-parts ignorance, but is that an air filter? Instead of, say, an oil filter? How the gently caress was that even supposed to work?

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 14, 2013

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
No that's an oil filter. It's a cartridge-style filter. That's pretty much what's on the inside of normal canister-style filters, but in this case there's a reusable housing and you just replace the filter media in the middle. It's supposed to look like this:

Also, I don't know about the pedestrian safety aspects, but those cable medians are amazing at safely stopping cars. I once saw a guy running from the police try to cut across a highway median at full speed and the cable barrier caught the car like a giant rubber band. It was amazing. The whole car flew forward into the air and then got pulled back down onto the ground with minimal damage. If it was a concrete barrier it would have been a fatality for sure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

lazer_chicken posted:

Also, I don't know about the pedestrian safety aspects, but those cable medians are amazing at safely stopping cars. I once saw a guy running from the police try to cut across a highway median at full speed and the cable barrier caught the car like a giant rubber band. It was amazing. The whole car flew forward into the air and then got pulled back down onto the ground with minimal damage. If it was a concrete barrier it would have been a fatality for sure.

Imagine if he was on a motorcycle.
There's a reason the cable barriers aren't popular in lots of places. They can also slice and dice a car, if it hits the barrier on its side.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
How would another option (like a concrete barrier) be any better for a motorcyclist? Seems like you're equally hosed with any of them. And without any barrier at all the guy would have gone into oncoming traffic and hit an oncoming car.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing the barrier is generally considered a lesser evil as compared to just going into the oncoming lane and being in a head-on. More energy, twice as many potential casualties.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I imagine the only thing that would save a motorcyclist would be something like a SAFER barrier and I'm going to hazard a guess that it would be rather cost prohibitive to line our highways with them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:aaa:

That is a poo poo ton of metal to be traveling that fast!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

WTF? You can't just post this with no info.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
I'm hoping that's where the compressor was stored before it exploded!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

That looks like a walkway behind the partially demolished wall, and a sledge sans handle laying on the ground? :black101: failure?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hah yep boss was all so we're gonna take that wall out to fill in the pit with concrete.

Me :swoon: : CAN I HIT IT PLEASE

So thats the master tech's sledge. One crack and it expired. I did everything there witha Bluepoint 4 lb hammer. For everyone that made fun of me for wasting money on a hammer, :fuckoff:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have the SP tools equivalent 4lb hammer. I can't believe people told you not to buy one, the usefulness is endless.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BUILT FORD TOUGH.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it was probably towed but I have some small hope that some numbnuts was actually trying to drive that thing, sparking and howling down the road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize it was probably towed but I have some small hope that some numbnuts was actually trying to drive that thing, sparking and howling down the road.

Sport Tracs are RWD/4WD, so it'd have to have been dragged unfortunately. I can't imagine anyone knowing enough to disconnect a driveshaft and then doing that. Buzz Killington, away!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

How did that NOT make a poo poo ton of noise?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm surprised there aren't gouges in the pavement.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Apparently the backstory on that was that the owners were towing it with an enormous RV and forgot to leave it in neutral.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

I have the SP tools equivalent 4lb hammer. I can't believe people told you not to buy one, the usefulness is endless.

seriously, I have the Stanley version and I've done all manner of terrible things with it. Probably the most versatile tool I own.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

wolrah posted:

Sport Tracs are RWD/4WD, so it'd have to have been dragged unfortunately. I can't imagine anyone knowing enough to disconnect a driveshaft and then doing that. Buzz Killington, away!

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not cross a broken axle off the list of possibilities.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

Apparently the backstory on that was that the owners were towing it with an enormous RV and forgot to leave it in neutral.

Even neutral would have done some expensive damage.

To the transmission instead of the wheels/tires, but still expensive damage.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

Even neutral would have done some expensive damage.

I'm not following, how else do you tow a car behind an RV?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

With the drive wheels off the ground and on a dolly, or with the driveshaft removed.

On an automatic, the internal pump is driven by the input shaft. You don't want to tow an automatic by the drive wheels for very far, otherwise you do some very expensive damage to the transmission. And if it's AWD*, you don't want to tow it with any wheels on the ground.

* I mean full time AWD, like what you'd find on a Subaru or Mitsubishi.

Most manual 2WD vehicles can be safely towed in neutral.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
There are a lot of automatic vehicles that can be flat towed?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How come you see so many RVs towing generic cars on all four wheels? Camrys, RAV-4s, Wranglers, etc; with the type of people that drive those RVs most of the time, I can't imagine their cars are stickshift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How come you see so many RVs towing generic cars on all four wheels? Camrys, RAV-4s, Wranglers, etc; with the type of people that drive those RVs most of the time, I can't imagine their cars are stickshift.

Wranglers can be flat-towed with the transfer case in neutral. What limits some vehicles from being flat-towed is just if the driveline needs the engine providing power to have proper lubrication. There are some transmissions that don't lubricate well, or at all, when the engine is not turning the input shaft.