Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Misogynist posted:

Just discovered Adremelech's Psychostasia. Don't know how I missed this for so long.

This is a fantastic and underrated album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
HOLY poo poo gently caress EVERYTHING ELSE READ THIS

Bolt Thrower limited USA tour dates! (With Benediction)

23.05: Maryland Deathfest, MD
25.05: Pomona, CA - The Glass House (w/ Autopsy)
26.05: Oakland, SF - Metro Operahouse (w/ Autopsy)
28.05: Portland, OR - Star Theater
29.05: Seattle, WA - Neumos
31.05: Chaos In Tejas, TX
01.06: Chicago, IL - Reggies

gently caress yes! Gonna see em twice now! MDF and Chicago!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
What the gently caress, nothing in boston...

Won't they end up flying out of here on the way back to england?

Good news if you're on the west coast though.

:(

Reive
May 21, 2009

Radio Paranoia posted:

All this and no mention of The Monolith Deathcult? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQdvaU-JlY

Honestly one of my favourite technical death metal bands, and their new album is coming out soon!

Hot drat is that a good track, and album, looks like I have a new band for my very selective metal taste.

Speaking of which, anyone know anything similar to Between the Buried and Me with less screaming?
Don't get me wrong I love 'em, and screaming, but the clean vocal parts of their tracks are fantastic and I'd like more like that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Reive posted:

Speaking of which, anyone know anything similar to Between the Buried and Me with less screaming?

Dream Theater

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Wyzt posted:

Haha I like how Oakland is listed as being a city in San Francisco.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

QPZIL posted:

I've found that Manowar is the best workout music.

Other bands play, Manowar body builds.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Wyzt posted:

Sup fellow MDF attending goon. I can't loving wait till Deathfest, I'm going to try and sweet talk my boss into giving me that weekend off so I can go to the rest of the days besides Thursday and Sunday. Have you been to Baltimore before? I live about 10 minutes from Sonar, so if you need a recommendation on where to get some good food or anything about the city, let me know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, Jess And The Ancient Ones have new stuff coming out. A three song EP, to be exact.

Here's a music video of one of those songs: http://youtu.be/5hgWxb1bXkE

It's certainly cool but I'm not quite sure yet if I like it as much as the stuff on the debut album.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Rocking out to Grand Magus right now and loving it. This is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for.

Right now my 'listen to' list is:
Grand Magus
Primordial
Keep of Kalessin (newer stuff - Armada)
Blind Guardian
Baroness
Nevermore
Shadows Fall
Toxik
Realm
Infernal Majesty
Morbid Saint
Demolition Hammer
Forbidden
Grim Reaper
Portrait
Speedwolf
Brocas Helm

Other stuff I forgot to mention that I like:
Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Death Angel (totally can't believe I forgot them!)
Skeletonwitch (I like them despite the growly vocals, so maybe there is hope for me)
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

Thanks again for all the friendly recommendations!

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Death Angel reminds me, tangentially, of one of the greatest thrash metal albums ever. Have you heard Dark Angel - Darkness Descends yet?

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Reive posted:

Don't get me wrong I love 'em, and screaming, but the clean vocal parts of their tracks are fantastic and I'd like more like that.
Maybe Last Chance To Reason? There is still a pretty good amount of screaming on Level 2 but the singer of this band does some really interesting harmonies. Plus they made a video game to go with their concept album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYqnVvaXVg

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ScarletBrother posted:

Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Skeletonwitch (I like them despite the growly vocals, so maybe there is hope for me)
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

Savatage is probably right up your alley.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

John Magnum posted:

Death Angel reminds me, tangentially, of one of the greatest thrash metal albums ever. Have you heard Dark Angel - Darkness Descends yet?
I'll go ahead and suggest Sepultura's Beneath the Remains as well. Play these two back-to-back and you're guaranteed to get whiplash.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ScarletBrother posted:

Rocking out to Grand Magus right now and loving it. This is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for.
Right on, Grand Magus are loving dope.

ScarletBrother posted:

Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
To go on this tangent:
Astral Doors. It's absurd how much Nils Patrik Johansson can sound like RJD at times. Seriously.
White Wizzard. One of the better representatives of modern day "retro metal".
Bruce Dickinson. Iron Maiden's great and all, but Bruce's solo stuff kicks a thousand shades of rear end as well.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Solid recommendations, but I would add Dark Quarterer. They're an underappreciated Italian band who've been around since the mid '70s, released a masterpiece of an album in 1987 (with horrible production), and just re-recorded it for the 25th anniversary. Keep in mind, the singer is 59 years old on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yslnrLazl_8

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
YES, forever, at Dark Quarterer. Actually, I think their production on the 1987 original is really good, it's got an excellent guitar tone. I'm not a fan of their other albums as much, but Dark Quarterer is phenomenal. I don't know that any of the compositions needed a bunch of strings and keyboards added to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhJyhGYgmbc Original 1987 version of "The Entity"

John Magnum fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 14, 2013

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Sup fellow MDF attending goon. I can't loving wait till Deathfest, I'm going to try and sweet talk my boss into giving me that weekend off so I can go to the rest of the days besides Thursday and Sunday. Have you been to Baltimore before? I live about 10 minutes from Sonar, so if you need a recommendation on where to get some good food or anything about the city, let me know.

This'll be my fourth MDF now! Pretty much know the area by heart now, haha. We tend to go cheap on food and spend most our money filling our hotel room with booze.

ScarletBrother posted:

Listen to Slough Feg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHpfugCboI

and some Chicago Locals Bible of the Devil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fpy1_SUa-0

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 14, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

Holy Grail. The new album is a little hit or miss (although the title track is badass), but Crisis in Utopia is pretty solid if you like old-school heavy metal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Went to Sabatons first show as headliners last night, not sure who liked who more: the crowd or the band. Just an amazing show, it's totally rad when the entire crowd is jumping and singing along to every single song. Sang The Caroleans Prayer in Swedish and let the crowd decide half the setlist, to boot.

Possibly the best show I've ever been to, honestly.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nordick posted:

So, Jess And The Ancient Ones have new stuff coming out. A three song EP, to be exact.

Here's a music video of one of those songs: http://youtu.be/5hgWxb1bXkE

It's certainly cool but I'm not quite sure yet if I like it as much as the stuff on the debut album.

It's definitely more psychadelic. Interested to hear the rest of the EP.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Checked the last couple pages looking for the recommendations I, apparently, imagined giving ScarletBrother. Beaten to the Savatage and Dark Quarterer recommendations. I wanna say Helloween, Artillery, and Tarot.

Also, holy poo poo. Dark Quarterer dude still has dem pipes. :stare: Do you know where I can buy this online?

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, second Artillery. Have you guys heard Aspid - Extravasation? Really cool Russian tech-thrash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIKl0ZZ4h0 Aspid - "Hey You (Pink Floyd cover)"

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

"The Gauntlet posted:

In a recent interview with Suffocation bassist Derek Boyer, Derek discussed the Brutal Big 5. For those that aren't aware, The Brutal Big 5 is death metals answer to the Big 4 (Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax). Derek not only talked about it, but went on to state that it is in early planning stages. Derek stated "We are talking about doing rotating headlining spots with Suffocation, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Obituary. We want to get all the heavy weights together and flip-flop and take turns headlining. It will be really fun to get this thing to work out.

Hopefully this becomes a reality.

:rolleyes: Brutal Big 5 :rolleyes:
This could be a good show as long as Obituary and Deicide don't play anything post '92 and MA doesn't play anything past Gateways...

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Ever since Suffocation reformed and played the New England Metalfest, ran over their set time by a half hour because they felt they were too important (singer kept going to the mic "We're fuckin suff-O-CATION man! COME ON!") and every other band got cut short, or out entirely, anything they're invovled with can eat a dick in my book.

Not to mention Old Stench is right, they are all WAY past their glory days by at least a decade. Then again so are the big-4.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

rxcowboy posted:

This is my 5th Deathfest and I'll still happily take food reccs!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Right now my 'listen to' list is:
Grand Magus
Primordial
Keep of Kalessin (newer stuff - Armada)
Blind Guardian
Baroness
Nevermore
Shadows Fall
Toxik
Realm
Infernal Majesty
Morbid Saint
Demolition Hammer
Forbidden
Grim Reaper
Portrait
Speedwolf
Brocas Helm

Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

High on Fire are the poo poo, can't get enough of them at the moment! Anyways more recs for you based on what you posted:

KVELERTAAAAAAAAAAAK!- If you like Skeletonwitch's vocals you might enjoy Kvelertak too, they're a lot of fun.
MIDNIGHT Similar to Speedwolf, this poo poo rules.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ScarletBrother posted:

Old Iron Maiden
Old Judas Priest
Old Dio
Overkill
Testament
Venom
High on Fire

Since you can handle some of the growly vocals, I don't think I've seen these couple essentials mentioned: Old In Flames, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Death.

And since you said you enjoyed Dio, Maiden, and Priest, I can recommend these: Old Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Demons and Wizards, Nevermore.

And maybe some faster stuff like Wintersun, Amon Amarth, and Ensiferum.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 14, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

nomapple posted:

High on Fire are the poo poo, can't get enough of them at the moment! Anyways more recs for you based on what you posted:

KVELERTAAAAAAAAAAAK!- If you like Skeletonwitch's vocals you might enjoy Kvelertak too, they're a lot of fun.
MIDNIGHT Similar to Speedwolf, this poo poo rules.

These bands are indeed both loving awesome.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

thepitgoddess posted:

This is my 5th Deathfest and I'll still happily take food reccs!

1: For great steaks, go to Fogo De Chao.

2: For Baltimore kitsch, go to Papermoon Diner.

3: For drunk food at 3am on the weekend go to Blue Moon.

4: Brewers Art and Max's are the two best bars in the city.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hitting up Brewer's Art while up there.

Speaking of MDF, I have an extra Thursday-only ticket if there's anyone who missed out on the 4-day passes and had to settle for a 3-day.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Morbid Florist posted:

Not to mention Old Stench is right, they are all WAY past their glory days by at least a decade. Then again so are the big-4.

I think that's the point; it's an oldies tour.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Morbid Florist posted:

Ever since Suffocation reformed and played the New England Metalfest, ran over their set time by a half hour because they felt they were too important (singer kept going to the mic "We're fuckin suff-O-CATION man! COME ON!") and every other band got cut short, or out entirely, anything they're invovled with can eat a dick in my book.

heh, I saw Suffocation with Dying Fetus, Aborted, 1349, and Carcass as the headliner... Suffocation honestly bored me.. Dying Fetus outplayed them by far with a 3 man show

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

John Magnum posted:

Yeah, second Artillery. Have you guys heard Aspid - Extravasation? Really cool Russian tech-thrash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIKl0ZZ4h0 Aspid - "Hey You (Pink Floyd cover)"

I remember seeing stuff about them doing a new album, dunno if it was true or anything...I saw like a promo for a new song like two years ago...now on youtube I see a full version....nothing else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz4qirIQ8lE

Not really diggin it sadly :(

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
The same week that Nile got confirmed in Baton Rouge in April and Down announced two SE Louisiana dates in May, Eyehategod canceled all their February and March shows.

Can't win them all, I guess.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

1: For great steaks, go to Fogo De Chao.

2: For Baltimore kitsch, go to Papermoon Diner.

3: For drunk food at 3am on the weekend go to Blue Moon.

4: Brewers Art and Max's are the two best bars in the city.

All of this is true, although Fogo De Chao is so much more than just "great steaks"

There's also a great combination american diner/indian food place that I could dig up the location of if you think you'd like that sort of thing. And Kawasaki's is a pretty good sushi joint. I also have a lot of friends in Baltimore who are filthy hippies, so if you want good vegan/vegetarian/etc dining options I could ask around.

Also you might want to ask this question in GWC; there are a number of "[X CITY] Dining Thread" threads. I don't think there's one for Baltimore yet, but you could start one, or ask in the DC Dining thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

het posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to hitting up Brewer's Art while up there.

Speaking of MDF, I have an extra Thursday-only ticket if there's anyone who missed out on the 4-day passes and had to settle for a 3-day.

Brewer's Art is nicer, but Max's selection is nuts. I used to go there all the time when I drank.

I'm going with a bunch of friends to the Thursday show, but no one else I know is going to the Sunday show. MDF goon meet?

And Fogo is pretty much the equivalent of pure gluttony on a higher class level. It's so awesome, I need to go back. I think Ruth Chris is good, but honestly it's a little over rated.

Little Italy has some good restaurants, but I really like Amicis.

I'd like to hear some vegetarian places. The only two I used to go to were Yaba Pot and One World Cafe.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

watt par posted:

I think that's the point; it's an oldies tour.

I kind of disagree with this, although their new material is iffy I still think Anthrax sounds incredible live. The other three....well, not so much.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

fatherdog posted:

Also you might want to ask this question in GWC; there are a number of "[X CITY] Dining Thread" threads. I don't think there's one for Baltimore yet, but you could start one, or ask in the DC Dining thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926

The Baltimore thread in LAN would be another good place http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032581&pagenumber=62&perpage=40

Coincidentally, the current topic there is seeing various metal / rock bands at different venues. There may even be a a few more MDF goers in there.

So sad I'm not going :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

rxcowboy posted:

I kind of disagree with this, although their new material is iffy I still think Anthrax sounds incredible live. The other three....well, not so much.

It's not about whether or not they sound good, it's about touring on decades old material because nobody wants to hear what they came up with after they ran out of ideas.

Are people paying top dollar to hear Still Cruisin' at a Beach Boys show or Rock and a Hard Place when they shell out $200 to see the Stones?