Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Q: I'm trying to get into MMA. Are there any good podcasts that cover MMA news?

EDIT: Something for beginners.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

CaptainYesterday posted:

Q: I'm trying to get into MMA. Are there any good podcasts that cover MMA news?

EDIT: Something for beginners.
Co-main event is more listenable than most.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Q: Why did they kill wrestling :smith:

I'm sure you'll find wrestling a) can't be stopped; and b) won't be stopped. W.R.E.A.M. etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some boxing questions:

1) Standing eight count, did they get rid of it? If so, why?

2) What are all these "International" and "Intercontinental" titles in boxing? What is their purpose, what are they for?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

LordPants posted:

Some boxing questions:

2) What are all these "International" and "Intercontinental" titles in boxing? What is their purpose, what are they for?

1) Depends on the commission

2) Promoters want to have "champions" on their cards, so they encourage organizing bodies to create new titles. The organizations then charge the title holders regular fees to keep the belts. Everyone gets paid except the fighters, who are ripped off. Business as usual for boxing.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

LordPants posted:

Some boxing questions:

1 - similar to what happens in an MMA fight and both guys get stood up prematurely, it can disrupt the flow of a fight with a direct detriment coming since the judges likely have to score it as a knockdown.

2 - see above. It is a cash grab.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Q: What is "roidtech"? (other than that one youtube video)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Ditch posted:

Art

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ditch posted:

Roidtech is what makes this guy so excited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT1r55vwjM

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Ditch posted:

Some slick poo poo

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ditch posted:

Mark Coleman sparring with Kevin Randleman. It displays grappling skills that just aren't very good with a lot of grunting. The two guys seem especially bulky, the title insinuating that they have been using roids and their and that is the source of their success since they obviously don't have much skill.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Haraksha posted:

Mark Coleman sparring with Kevin Randleman. It displays grappling skills that just aren't very good with a lot of grunting. The two guys seem especially bulky, the title insinuating that they have been using roids and their and that is the source of their success since they obviously don't have much skill.

You must have been the pimply scrub Coleman double legged at the Ikea

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is roidtech a thing outside of this forum?

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

no

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I showed roidtech to my sambo coach and he was greatly amused.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I danged loud and proud when I was bodylock'd in my takedown class. I like to think Kevin gets a dollar every time that happens.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
what's always confused me about roidtech is that Coleman and Randleman are awesome wrestlers but somehow look so bad on the ground, worse than HS wrestlers on their first day of bjj.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

what's always confused me about roidtech is that Coleman and Randleman are awesome wrestlers but somehow look so bad on the ground, worse than HS wrestlers on their first day of bjj.

I dunno, the way Mark slowly wokrs his way into half guard is some slick poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For different states' ACs, how long beforehand is it known which judges will be judging a fight?
When looking at robberies or other fights where it seems like the judges have some ulterior motive, I wonder how long beforehand the corrupt parties might need to negotiate something to buy the judges.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

kimbo305 posted:

For different states' ACs, how long beforehand is it known which judges will be judging a fight?
When looking at robberies or other fights where it seems like the judges have some ulterior motive, I wonder how long beforehand the corrupt parties might need to negotiate something to buy the judges.

It's far far far more likely that a lot of judges are just incompetent and/or don't watch fights.

To actually answer the question though, I was able to find an article from June 15 last year announcing the ref and judges for the Silva/Sonnen 2 fight that took place on July 7th. I found one for Jan 22 about the Feb 2 Aldo/Edgar fight. Seems somewhat inconsistent but I haven't really found a good source for the assignments.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I always thought they had maybe already trained hard and were just loving around.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Sphinxster posted:

I always thought they had maybe already trained hard and were just loving around.

No, Mark's porch (where they train) isn't a full size wrestling room, so they probably caught their breath getting there. I also noticed neither Coleman nor Randleman where wearing wrestling shoes on the mat. No street shoes, guys :rolleyes:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
This facebook page is one of my favorite things. Lots of incredible old videos.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It was posted in the UFC PPV discussion thread after the weigh ins that some guys put on 15 or more pounds after weigh ins and it has me wondering - what (if anything) does all of this fairly drastic weight cutting and gain multiple times a year do to these fighters physically? I can't imagine it's good for the body but are there any cases where it was particularly harmful to one of them?

And is there a reason fighters cut drastically right before a fight and then gain the weight back instead of just staying at fight weight during training leading up to the fight? Are the few extra pounds they get from cutting then dehydrating really worth ending up in less than optimal condition the night before a fight? A lot of them look almost sickly thin during weigh ins.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

it's pretty loving bad for your kidneys. pissing blood is common.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It was posted in the UFC PPV discussion thread after the weigh ins that some guys put on 15 or more pounds after weigh ins and it has me wondering - what (if anything) does all of this fairly drastic weight cutting and gain multiple times a year do to these fighters physically? I can't imagine it's good for the body but are there any cases where it was particularly harmful to one of them?

And is there a reason fighters cut drastically right before a fight and then gain the weight back instead of just staying at fight weight during training leading up to the fight? Are the few extra pounds they get from cutting then dehydrating really worth ending up in less than optimal condition the night before a fight? A lot of them look almost sickly thin during weigh ins.

Just a reminder that fighters only do this a few times a year. Kids in high school wrestling do this every week during the season.

As for why fighters do this, it's because being big and lifting weights is an important attribute for fighting, along with looking good and not knowing jiu-jitsu.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

poo poo can kill you. When I was in high school they banned plastic weight cutting apparel because a handful of high school and college wrestlers died. Luckily, UFC guys generally have a coaching team behind them who can help them not to die, and they only have to do it a few times a year. It always sucks, but 'rasslers have to do it all the time. The most I ever had to cut was 15 pounds in 24 hours as a district alternate as a freshman because the #2 seeded guy got hit in the head with a bowling ball. It was pretty lovely, but I didn't piss blood. But yeah, like ForbiddenWonder noted, it's super bad for your kidneys.

e: beaten by Kensei

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The main reason they do it is to maximize their size, which gives an actual advantage in a combat sport for various reasons.

If I got down to my fighting weight during the camp and stayed there until the weigh-ins, then I would only have 24 hours to gain new mass. That's not a realistic window to put on any weight at all and you're not going to be wanting to do the kinds of exercises necessary in that time frame anyway.

If you stay well above weight during your camp and then cut, you have 24 hours to hydrate your body back up to that weight. This means guys sometimes fight 15-20 lbs (and actually even higher) over the class's weight limit.

That extra weight translates to more power in their hits, more raw strength to grapple with, and more weight tiring the other fighter out as he tries to control you or you lay on him. The advantages really far out weigh the risks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they do something now to combat that? Like have the weigh ins twice or closer to the event or something? Or am I completely making that up?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
No, not in mma at least

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

LordPants posted:

Don't they do something now to combat that? Like have the weigh ins twice or closer to the event or something? Or am I completely making that up?

In the UFC? No, they weigh in a day before. In wrestling? Yeah. They weigh in a couple hours before a dual/meet. It's a lot easier in MMA to rehydrate/regain strength.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I believe thai boxing has a system where the commissions show up to your gym a few times a year, weigh you, and use that weight to determine which weightclass you should be fighting in.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eat This Glob posted:

In the UFC? No, they weigh in a day before. In wrestling? Yeah. They weigh in a couple hours before a dual/meet. It's a lot easier in MMA to rehydrate/regain strength.

Yeah wrestling I meant, sorry.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
know who didn't cut weight? frankie edgar. look how he turned out

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

maffew buildings posted:

*cue a bunch of posts about how Frankie Edgar has never lost a fight*

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Bas Rutten too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When you consider the fact that Bas was a striker with absolutely zero wrestling who learned grappling initially by watching earlier matches on shows he was fighting on, the fact that he had the career he had is a massive overachievement.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

When you consider the fact that Bas was a striker with absolutely zero wrestling who learned grappling initially by watching earlier matches on shows he was fighting on, the fact that he had the career he had is a massive overachievement.

Bas Rutten's Harley Davidson Keys to Victory
  • BING
  • BANG
  • BADDA BOP
  • hydrocodone by the God-damned handful

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

• BING
  • BANG
  • BADDA BOP

The BADDA BOP is really important, it allows a person to break another man's internal organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

• BING
  • BANG
  • BADDA BOP

There is nothing better than a 48 year old man making funny noises while describing how to hurt people with a dutch accent.