Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Calaveron posted:

I'm just glad the comic can continue. I recently discovered it, and it's really funny, and very cute. Happy to see that everything worked out in the end.

Agreed. I archive binged the other day and am glad I did so. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Arrrrrg, how could I miss the obvious forshadowing of who would kill Belkar. It shoulda been obvious as soon as we met malack:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

Look at what Roy says. Just look.

Edit: posting from phone sucks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ikanreed posted:

Arrrrrg, how could I miss the obvious forshadowing of who would kill Belkar. It shoulda been obvious as soon as we met malack:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

Look at what Roy says. Just look.

Holy crap. Nice catch, dude, and even nicer foreshadowing by Rich in way to make it slip by most of us. Gotta love Burlew, the man plays the long game. :golfclap:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I must be missing something very obvious, and I'm going to feel like a dumbass in a minute, but what are you getting at?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I must be missing something very obvious, and I'm going to feel like a dumbass in a minute, but what are you getting at?

Bony guy with a black robe and a scythe.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Alchenar posted:

Bony guy with a black robe and a scythe.

Yeah, see? I feel like a dumbass. :p

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It is foreshadowing for the fact that Belkar will die. Malack is not bony nor holds a big scythe so it is unrelated to his killer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

It is foreshadowing for the fact that Belkar will die. Malack is not bony nor holds a big scythe so it is unrelated to his killer.

He is pretty bony, but you're right about him not having a scythe. He worships a god of death, and my guess was that a spiritual weapons will be involved.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Nenonen posted:

I'd agree heartily, but there is this...

Using Elan as an idiot savant to stumble across foreshadowing is totally something Rich would do.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Malack's tail sort of looks like a fancy pants scythe blade to go with his staff in the last panel of the latest page.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nenonen posted:

That's ridiculously picky. He's the priest of a god of death, is skinny, bone white and got mistaken for death by Elan.

run DNC posted:

Malack's tail sort of looks like a fancy pants scythe blade to go with his staff in the last panel of the latest page.

The Malack-as-death sounds just right for a major Rich plotline - clever, justified, and in plain sight.

Have they picked up on it over at GITP?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sebmojo posted:

That's ridiculously picky. He's the priest of a god of death, is skinny, bone white and got mistaken for death by Elan.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not actually foreshadowing and you guys are imagining it as such because of coincidental features.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not actually foreshadowing and you guys are imagining it as such because of coincidental features.

Could be. Pattern recognition as a survival trait for our species comes at the cost of numerous false positives. But until proven otherwise, I'm going to give Rich credit for being clever than just going with the boring "it's a coincidence" explanation.

If we're not going to try and analyze the comic and come up with fun interpretations for things, why even have the thread?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nenonen posted:

That would be a pretty good argument 3 comics ago. Now it seems pretty likely Belkar is going to die from Malack. I mean, I guess Xykon also is boney and wears a black robe, which is the obvious alternative as far as Roy's metaphor went.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nenonen posted:

Or maybe Rich has been reading too much MSPA, and the two are one and the same?

Astronomically unlikely, but hey.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Could be. Pattern recognition as a survival trait for our species comes at the cost of numerous false positives. But until proven otherwise, I'm going to give Rich credit for being clever than just going with the boring "it's a coincidence" explanation.

If we're not going to try and analyze the comic and come up with fun interpretations for things, why even have the thread?

Surely if we analyse the comic we are also allowed to discuss such analyses?

This "foreshadowing" just so far seems a lot like how Book of Revelation predicted 9/11 etc. It's not too hard to come up with a selective interpretation after the fact when the text is vague enough. Rich isn't as messed up as John the Apostle but nevertheless.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ikanreed posted:

That would be a pretty good argument 3 comics ago. Now it seems pretty likely Belkar is going to die from Malack. I mean, I guess Xykon also is boney and wears a black robe, which is the obvious alternative as far as Roy's metaphor went.

Xykon's robe is dark blue, isn't it?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nenonen posted:

This "foreshadowing" just so far seems a lot like how Book of Revelation predicted 9/11 etc. It's not too hard to come up with a selective interpretation after the fact when the text is vague enough. Rich isn't as messed up as John the Apostle but nevertheless.

If you don't know the difference between "Biblical Prophecies" and stuff in OOTS then I don't know what to tell you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ConfusedUs posted:

Xykon's robe is dark blue, isn't it?

Not even dark blue. That's just plain blue. It's not vibrant like Azure city, but there is no way to mistake that robe as black.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nenonen posted:

Dude, come on. The reference fits, Belkar's fate is absolutely in Malack's hands, and Belkar's prophecied death is pretty much due. And Rich does a lot of deliberate foreshadowing.

It's not the slightest bit strained.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I admit, I'm on the fence as to whether the comment foreshadows Malack or not. Bony, yes; Black robe, check. Scythe, though? Not unless he keeps it in hammerspace, from what I can see. And while Rich does do a lot of subtle foreshadowing, Roy's line *could* just be about Belkar dying, and therefore the Grim Reaper connection *could* just be a coincidence. After all, Roy wouldn't know *how* Belkar is going to die, so his comment there can't be as significant as "I have an important client flying in" or "When the goat turns Red strikes true".

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Oh come on we even see the thing Roy's referring to later. It's Death, of course. Bony, black robes, scythe.

This is reaching.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I don't think anyone's saying they think Roy is making a legitimate prophecy here. I do, however, think it's possible that Rich planned to have Malack whack Belkar and threw in a clue about that in advance. Dude loves to set poo poo like that up. How many years was it between us finding out there were two dragons living in the starmetal cave before he paid it off with Big Mama? By comparison, putting in a clue at the end of Don't Split the Party to be paid off near the end of the next book is positively restrained.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

jng2058 posted:

I don't think anyone's saying they think Roy is making a legitimate prophecy here. I do, however, think it's possible that Rich planned to have Malack whack Belkar and threw in a clue about that in advance.

Oh, I get that, I do; I didn't think Roy was meant to be prophesying (other than "Belkar will die"). I just felt that it was more likely to be a coincidence than the example of "There are two black dragons" followed by "and here is the second one!" Even if Belkar does end up dying at Malack's hands, I'll probably remain uncertain about whether that line was a deliberate clue, or just a throw-away gag that bears some accidental resemblance to a later plot development. (Although, if Malack does suddenly pull out a scythe, that would tilt the odds in favor of "It was intentional foreshadowing".)

Rich is a genius; I'm not disputing that. I just don't know how tangential his foreshadowing gets, since the only examples I'm aware of have more solid connections between the type of hint and the pay-off (e.g., the oracle stating he was expecting a client, and the dragon stating she visited the oracle). By contrast, David Willis once foreshadowed that a character was an alien by having a poster in the background which contained an arrow which happened to be pointing at the character. Now *that* was tangential foreshadowing, since no-one in-universe would have had a reason to see it as a clue, and If I knew Rich had handled foreshadowing this way before, I'd be more swayed.

Does this make sense? Sorry, it's rather late, and I'm trying to explain my thoughts as best I can.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Does this make sense? Sorry, it's rather late, and I'm trying to explain my thoughts as best I can.

No, no, I get it. Thing is, I'd swear I read in some of those chapter notes in the books that Rich does play those kind of subtle hint games, purely for his own amusement. I seem to recall that he even mentioned that there were a few that no one had caught yet, the mentioning of which set the GitP forums on fire for a few days until they saw something else shiny and ran off to chase that instead.

Ergo, I'm giving Rich the benefit of the doubt. To me, having a bony, white scaled, wearing a black robe, cleric of the god of death who one member of the Order already mistook for the grim reaper is too many points of correlation to ignore. The quote was: "Pretty soon, Belkar's fate will be someone else's problem. Someone bony, with a black robe and a big scythe." And now, Belkar's fate is Malack's problem.

For me that's just too many coincidences for it to be a coincidence. The fact that one detail, the scythe vs staff thing, doesn't match perfectly but is still close cannot be outweighed by all the details that do match.

Now I grant you, it could be that Rich is throwing out a red herring, assuming that at least some of us would read the clues as we have and then expect Belkar to die only for Malack to choose to spare him, because Rich loves spitting in the face of narrative conventions, especially right after pointing them out. That's a possibility.

Nevertheless, I still find it likely that we've found ourselves a Chekov's Gun that's about to go off....right into Belkar's face.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZnCu posted:

I was pretty depressed about it at the start. But then I Googled the name of the WOTC lawyer and found out part of her job appears to be sending C&Ds to bronies who sell custom pony toys with strategically placed holes.

That's not hyperbole. If you Google image search her name, most of the hits are neon plastic horse ladyparts.

So clearly she's already in Hell, and that made me feel better.

Comedy option: sell Rusty toys with strategically placed gently caress I need to sterilize my brain where's the tea kettle :cry:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
You do realize this is nobody's fault but your own.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jng2058 posted:

To me, having a bony, white scaled, wearing a black robe, cleric of the god of death who one member of the Order already mistook for the grim reaper is too many points of correlation to ignore.
The main reason I'm not able to buy into this foreshadowing thing 100% is that pale, gaunt and wearing a black robe is a completely natural look for a death cleric. To me it's more or less one point of correlation.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

jng2058 posted:

No, no, I get it. Thing is, I'd swear I read in some of those chapter notes in the books that Rich does play those kind of subtle hint games, purely for his own amusement.

You're right! I think I found one: Eric with the toy Black Dragon in #600, pretending it's eating someone, no less. Not a direct Chekhov's Gun like the oracle's comment, but definitely foreshadowing. Ergo, I stand corrected and thus find it that much more plausible that Roy's line could have been a nod to Malack. I'm not 100% convinced, but it's at least over 50% now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nice catch! I'd missed that one, myself.

If Malack whacks Belkar, I'm going to go ahead and call it correct, at least until proven one way or the other, probably in the chapter notes next year or whenever. Belkar could still get out of it, though, so we'll have to see.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

And thanks to the rereading of that arc I just did from TheAceofLungs's post, I noticed something else I never remembered before.

Bozok says he got rid of Haley's father, Ian, by writing to "some friends on the Western Continent" who then wrote something to him which got him rushing there. Then later Ian says that he got to Tyrinaria because "my sister asked me to come help her and her husband with this rebellion thing". Notice that Geoff, her husband, seems loyal to Ian, and it does say that it was Aunt Ivy who asked him to come.

Conclusion: Aunt Ivy betrayed her husband and brother-in-law. Reasons unknown, and Bozok is dead anyway, but it does mean that when we eventually meet her she's going to be up to no good. Either that, or Haley will remember Bozok's words and there will be a showdown.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

And thanks to the rereading of that arc I just did from TheAceofLungs's post, I noticed something else I never remembered before.

Bozok says he got rid of Haley's father, Ian, by writing to "some friends on the Western Continent" who then wrote something to him which got him rushing there. Then later Ian says that he got to Tyrinaria because "my sister asked me to come help her and her husband with this rebellion thing". Notice that Geoff, her husband, seems loyal to Ian, and it does say that it was Aunt Ivy who asked him to come.

Conclusion: Aunt Ivy betrayed her husband and brother-in-law. Reasons unknown, and Bozok is dead anyway, but it does mean that when we eventually meet her she's going to be up to no good. Either that, or Haley will remember Bozok's words and there will be a showdown.

Actually, if you look at the way Geoff acts, it's pretty clear he's in on it too. Not only would Geoff betraying him explain why all of Ian's escape plans fail, but it's why Geoff tries to talk Ian into going back to Ivy's place where he can get picked up again.

I don't know what hold Bozzak has on Geoff and Ivy that Geoff rotting in jail just to keep Ian out of the way is worth it...probably some kind of son/daughter as a hostage deal or some such...but it's pretty clear to me that Geoff is Ivy's accomplice in keeping Ian on ice.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

Actually, if you look at the way Geoff acts, it's pretty clear he's in on it too.
Definitely acting like double-agent 101 in that strip, yeah. I'm on board.

Also, it's funny that I thought Bozok was dead and the halfling had taken over as guild leader. Probably because I don't think we saw him again after the confrontation.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So I was playing Skyrim earlier and this happened and it made me think of OotS.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Why is your Hroar naked?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the more common Skyrim bugs is NPCs losing clothes.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah every time I come in home Skyrim my wife and kids are naked and I have to use the console commands to make them put clothes on.

e: the clothes are still in their inventory, they just unequip them. Buncha nudists.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Caerulius posted:

Why is your Hroar naked?

It's so he can be invisible! Weren't you paying attention?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Caerulius posted:

Why is your Hroar naked?

He's acting out because his father is never home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

:siren:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0870.html:siren:

Well, that's two confirmed theories with one stone.