Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Please tell me his wild hat being a tactical thing was actually part of the gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I bought a case of these on ebay around 2003 for $5.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

xK1 posted:

I was actually looking for wrestling trading card boxes on ebay the other day. Unfortunately I didn't find any deals like that.

Edit: I just found this set and I have no idea what's going on: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RAW-DDEEAL-WRESTLING-FEDERATION-cards-set-BOXED-WF-/251103710867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76f28e93

Looks like some hilarious bootleg set of cards

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 14, 2013

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

xK1 posted:

Hey, me too!

Me and a couple friends bought a case of theses, ended up with a whole set. The game was awful, but all the wrestler's individual powers are worded odd. Everyone has something like, "Once per game, you may 'Be The Man," or "Once per turn you may 'Holla,'" or whatever.

In addition, if I remember right, if Goldberg pulled the right hand, he could win on the first turn, regardless of what the other player did.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That match is loving hilarious. People were making GBS threads on Hogan HARD. I love how everyone boos after he no sells Arn's Spinebuster (and a beauty of a spinebuster at that) and gets the pin. That promo is great because it's obvious none of the wrestlers knows what the hell is going on.

It was even better because they did a post show analysis where Bischoff pointed out how everyone hosed it up.

And then next week was amazing. Mongo bringing out the Fridge to protect the announcers from getting harassed by wrestlers. The next segment ended with Brain getting harassed by Pittman with no sign of the Fridge.

Then the Fridge shows up at the end of the ME to stop the suspended Hogan from giving Giant, Taskmaster, and Jimmy Hart repeated unprotected chairshots so he can get a title shot from Savage after Starrcade once his probation ends.

What I'm saying is that I want the next Observer, Dave. :argh:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Toffile posted:

It was even better because they did a post show analysis where Bischoff pointed out how everyone hosed it up.

And then next week was amazing. Mongo bringing out the Fridge to protect the announcers from getting harassed by wrestlers. The next segment ended with Brain getting harassed by Pittman with no sign of the Fridge.

Then the Fridge shows up at the end of the ME to stop the suspended Hogan from giving Giant, Taskmaster, and Jimmy Hart repeated unprotected chairshots so he can get a title shot from Savage after Starrcade once his probation ends.

Hogan hitting everyone with that chair was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling. Giant has both of his arms being held, because I think Hart and Taskmaster are trying to hold him back from going to the ring, and Hogan runs down the aisle and clobbers him with an unprotected chairshot to the head. Hogan then whacks everyone else with the chair and it is glorious.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Toffile posted:

Is this the time that Pillman infamously grabs Heenan even though he was "off limits" due to his bad neck, which prompts Heenan to exclaim (uncensored on live tv) "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING?!"

edit - wikipedia cleared it up for me.

Bobby Heenan's Wikipedia posted:

At one notable Clash of the Champions event broadcast live on TBS on January 23, 1996, Heenan screamed, "What the gently caress are you doing?" when Brian Pillman grabbed him by his neck, which he had surgery on not too long before, during Pillman's "loose cannon" gimmick. Heenan returned to the air later and apologized for his audible cursing on air. According to Heenan, Pillman apologized to him for the incident backstage, citing he did not know of Heenan's history of neck problems beforehand, and more specifically that Heenan had been labeled "no-touch" by management because of his injuries.

Heenan, in later interviews, explained that the reason for his outburst was that he did not know it was Pillman who was grabbing him, as he was looking at Eddie Guerrero (Pillman's opponent) in the ring. Since Heenan was watching Guerrero on the ringside monitor (which displays the match as it is broadcast on television), he stated that he did not know that Pillman was behind him, and figured a fan had jumped the guard-rail and attacked him. The language was edited out of all WCW tapes, but can be heard in the 2006 DVD release on Pillman's career.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Is this the time that Pillman infamously grabs Heenan even though he was "off limits" due to his bad neck, which prompts Heenan to exclaim (uncensored on live tv) "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING?!"

Pillman's "I bet I can get myself fired from WCW" run was fantastic. Just the look of unease on everyone's face whenever he shows up.

It's also pretty funny that Bischoff has retroactively tried to cover it with the "No, it was all part of a bigger plan!" defence.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

"Buff's Fans"? I don't believe those were a thing. At all.

There was the time he came back from his broken neck and got naturally babyface support. Of course, :russo: lead to a swerve where he turned heel a week after he came back or something.

(I know this story's been talked about on this site before, but I just love the story so much)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rodney the Piper posted:

There was the time he came back from his broken neck and got naturally babyface support. Of course, :russo: lead to a swerve where he turned heel a week after he came back or something.

(I know this story's been talked about on this site before, but I just love the story so much)

I actually remember liking that whole story. Especially because it made it clear that you are nWo FOUR LIIIIIIIIFE.

It certainly didn't make me visibly upset like Curt Hennig turning on the Four Horsemen did (even though Hennig set himself up as a free agent who could go anywhere he wanted to and was totally courted by the nWo before taking Arn's spot BUT THAT WAS ARN'S SPOT HOW COULD YOU CURT :argh:)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Reading through these bleak Observers of the week (up to mid December 1995) is pretty crazy knowing that the incredibly dark times are about to be followed by the greatest boom period in the history of the business. Being a guy who never watched WCW during this time, watching these nitros on youtube where Hogan is getting mercilessly boo'ed around this time period really makes it far less "revolutionary" that Hogan went heel (as it's always been sort of implied). It sounds like the guy really had no choice at this point as everyone hated his guts.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Hogan just wasn't that popular anymore when they turned him heel. But yeah, I guess WWE would never want to say that even if they're on bad terms with the guy right now.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Wasn't there a period where they tested out a "darker" hogan prior to his turn? Like he was still a face but now they had given him some sort of anti-hero crap and he wore more black clothing

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Timbers Jim posted:

Wasn't there a period where they tested out a "darker" hogan prior to his turn? Like he was still a face but now they had given him some sort of anti-hero crap and he wore more black clothing

Yeah that was going on a couple of months prior to this. If you read back in the thread I think some of the other Observer updates touched on it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Timbers Jim posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tSEyBoUF68

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The best part of this is when they start booing Hogan so loudly that the truck monkeys had to pipe in cheers.

I also remember this as being the first Nitro where the "Hogan sucks!" chant started.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

What is that round his neck, why in wcw were people always riding round in monster trucks/hummers/garbage trucks, what the gently caress is that round his neck

also BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Timbers Jim posted:

Why in wcw were people always riding round in monster trucks/hummers/garbage trucks

Because it's AWESOME and wrestling needs to do this again

Give me a Ryback monster truck.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Timbers Jim posted:

What is that round his neck, why in wcw were people always riding round in monster trucks/hummers/garbage trucks, what the gently caress is that round his neck

also BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It was the 90s, man.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cena was never this hated.

Yes he is? Do you not hear the boos and the volume of the CENA SUCKS chants he gets constantly?

Also this is the best thing to come out of Darkside Hogan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfitScS91ww&t=416s

SULLIVAN TOOK YOUR MUSTACHE!

"I TOLDJA THAT'S RIGHT! I DID THAT! NOW YA KNOW, HUH?! NOW YA TALKIN'!"

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 15, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZL8wC8czg

"Lex Luger is terrified of skeletons!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thank you for this, I've wanted to see this for a while

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I love how by the end Larry and Mike have given up to and get in on the "Old Glory [move]" jokes.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Timbers Jim posted:

why in wcw were people always riding round in monster trucks/hummers/garbage trucks

This is why. It was all just a buildup to this, the pinnacle of automotive greatness.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

I'm still surprised La Parka never pulled, like, a one-day world title reign.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Claytor posted:

I'm still surprised La Parka never pulled, like, a one-day world title reign.

Be still my beating heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30AWtU-qar4

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Scirocco Griffon posted:

This is why. It was all just a buildup to this, the pinnacle of automotive greatness.

This is just a work of art here: someone alert AI to this masterpiece.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Let me guess, this story was dropped with no resolution?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Triple-Kan posted:

In addition, if I remember right, if Goldberg pulled the right hand, he could win on the first turn, regardless of what the other player did.
Goldberg is Exodia the Forbidden One. That's loving perfect.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Arbite posted:

Let me guess, this story was dropped with no resolution?

Well, the very next Nitro was the reboot of the company so I'd be willing to bet that happened.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

Well, the very next Nitro was the reboot of the company so I'd be willing to bet that happened.

According to wiki that was Ed Ferarras voice, and it didn't have a resolution to speak of.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wrong thread.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Hogan just wasn't that popular anymore when they turned him heel. But yeah, I guess WWE would never want to say that even if they're on bad terms with the guy right now.

It's not; I started watching Nitro in the summer of '97 and had no idea he was booed before the nWo era. I'm finding out about it thanks to this glorious thread.
Funny how some guys just don't know how to make the right business decisions; and analyzing WCW makes me realize this even more. I mean, look at where Hogan is right now, in TNA. Such a pop culture icon should have a business empire behind him, and should be doing gigs with the WWE, as a manager or a commentator, just for the love of the game. I guess his ego got the best of him, or maybe he just isn't that intelligent.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Rad R. posted:

I mean, look at where Hogan is right now, in TNA. Such a pop culture icon should have a business empire behind him

The meat shoes and pasta things didn't go too well for him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rad R. posted:

It's not; I started watching Nitro in the summer of '97 and had no idea he was booed before the nWo era. I'm finding out about it thanks to this glorious thread.
Funny how some guys just don't know how to make the right business decisions; and analyzing WCW makes me realize this even more. I mean, look at where Hogan is right now, in TNA. Such a pop culture icon should have a business empire behind him, and should be doing gigs with the WWE, as a manager or a commentator, just for the love of the game. I guess his ego got the best of him, or maybe he just isn't that intelligent.

He was right until his son's lawsuit and his wife's divorce.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

LordPants posted:

He was right until his son's lawsuit and his wife's divorce.

I took that into consideration as well, that's why I'm doubting whether he's an intelligent man at all. It seems to me guys like Rock, Austin and Piper have the brains, real life smarts or whatever you want to call it, while guys like Hogan, Hardy and Angle are, well, just not smart. Cause when you look at their career choices and the way they express themselves, one group is obviously not like the other.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Piper's made some VERY questionable choices.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Really, I just assume every wrestler is a fuckup in some way, and the ones who aren't are either amazing or they just haven't hosed up yet.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Watching that La Parka video reminded me how much I hated Buff's finisher. It looks like Buff is helping his opponent give him a vertical suplex or it is part of a tag finisher that is missing Scotty Riggs having the guy up on his shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Piper's made some VERY questionable choices.

Yeah, but... THEY LIVE

Rock was in some crappy movies too, Austin is doing straight to DVD, but with guys like Dolph Lundgren, so that's justified, while Hogan's best effort was Suburban Commando. But let's get back to WCW being insanely stupid, I like that. Actually, there is a connection there. Hogan was feuding with Sting and doing Santa With Muscles, which means he was on the very top of the wrestling food chain, but he wasn't a big enough superstar to do something better. One domino effect of bad decisions later, and he's in TNA.