Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#174 - BAND OF OUTSIDERS (BR, 5/7)

(Blu-Ray upgrade)

#656 - JUBAL (BR/DVD, 5/14)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones

#657 - 3:10 TO YUMA (BR/DVD, 5/14)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
•New interviews with author Elmore Leonard and Glenn Ford’s son and biographer, Peter Ford
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones

#658 - MEDIUM COOL (BR/2-disc DVD, 5/21)

•New 4K digital restoration, approved by director Haskell Wexler, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Two audio commentaries, one featuring Wexler, actor Marianna Hill, and editor Paul Golding, the other featuring historian Paul Cronin
•New interview with Wexler
•Look Out Haskell, It’s Real!, a fifty-five-minute documentary about the making of Medium Cool, produced by Cronin and featuring interviews with Wexler, Golding, actors Verna Bloom, Peter Bonerz, and Robert Forster, Chicago historian Studs Terkel, and others
•Excerpts from Sooner or Later, a documentary by Cronin about Harold Blankenship, who plays the adolescent Harold in the film
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic and programmer Thomas Beard

#659 - LIFE IS SWEET (BR/DVD, 5/28)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh
•Audio recording of a 1991 interview with Leigh at the National Film Theatre in London
•More!
•PLUS: A booket featuring an essay by critic David Sterritt

My take:

Band of Outsiders - will upgrade
Jubal - never seen, rental
3:10 to Yuma - boy this is really good but I don't feel any need to own it... pass
Medium Cool - it's okay, don't need to see it again or watch any of the extras... pass
Life is Sweet - never seen it, looking forward to it, rental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
More Mike Leigh releases is always a good thing. :)

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
Was Band of Outsiders out of print on DVD or am I just crazy for not having bought it? Guess it's good either way, that'll be my first Criterion in months!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
More Mike Leigh is always a good thing (always), I just wish they'd do Secrets and Lies.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I don't really try to stay on top of the release rumours or whatever so I had no idea they'd got Medium Cool (1969). Haskell Wexler, gently caress yeah.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
More Mike Leigh! More Mike Leigh! I would love to see Criterion release a box set of his early TV films.

Also, Medium Cool is loving great and has been really hard to find until now. It's gonna look amazing on Blu-Ray.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you haven't seen it you can watch Abigail's Party on Youtube, it's excellent (I'll never tire of watching Alison Steadman wiggle her shoulders around like that), and I haven't seen them but here's Nuts In May and The Permissive Society.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just wish they'd do Secrets and Lies.

Seconded.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Oh man Delmar Daves for days. Hopefully they do Broken Arrow and The Last Wagon next. I want a whole video essay on that scene in The Last Wagon when Richard Widmark punches an eagle.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

penismightier posted:

Richard Widmark punches an eagle.

You have me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It seems like a really obvious choice but maybe they're either still working on it (they seem to be friendly with Leigh) or some other company is sitting on the rights.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Medium Cool. poo poo, I'm gonna have to buy another Criterion.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Does anyone have any thoughts on the clue in the newsletter?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
My thought is I'm really bad at interpreting these clues.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm pretty sure that's Babette's Feast.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, one of the dishes she serves is, like, quails in sarcophagus or whatever, this is kind of a lame clue since it's already on their Hulu channel.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
For anyone who lives in the L.A. area The Aero theater in Santa Monica is doing a showing of Two Lane Blacktop on march 3rd, and Monte Hellman will actually be there I assume doing a Q&A.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/two-lane-blacktop-0

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

24 hour flash sale: http://www.criterion.com/sale?utm_m...ime%20dashboard

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ordered Qatsi trilogy to tide me over until the B&N sale. I wonder how much of a sales increase they see during these flash sales.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Ordering BRs of On the Waterfront, Amarcord, 400 Blows, Tokyo Drifter and Something Wild. Yup, this is happening.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

It's a shame it's so expensive to ship to Canada - an extra $15 to ship 3 blurays of Diabolique, Letter Never Sent, and Belle De Jour. I'll wait for the B&N sale in July.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

friendo55 posted:

It's a shame it's so expensive to ship to Canada - an extra $15 to ship 3 blurays of Diabolique, Letter Never Sent, and Belle De Jour. I'll wait for the B&N sale in July.
B&N will ship to Canada? I wasn't aware of that.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Could only make myself buy blus of The Leopard and Marienbad; I'll just wait until the B&N sale where I can buy A Man Escaped, among other things.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

kuddles posted:

They'll ship here, but it takes forever. Also 50/50 chance of getting your order messed up, at least from my past ordering experiences.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ugh, why you do these things, Criterion?

The Darjeeling Limited
Ivan's Childhood
On the Waterfront
Rushmore

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got a bit of extra cash this month. Went for Blus of Rashomon, Brazil, and Lonesome. I would have gotten The Man Who Knew Too Much '34, but it's already on backorder.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I got Kagemusha because I really shouldn't be spending that much money right now, but I really want to watch more Kurosawa.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
The Blob drops in two weeks, Criterion! Couldn't you wait til then for me to throw you my money?

...I went ahead and picked up Days of Heaven and Two-Lane Blacktop anyway.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

WaitsUp posted:

They'll ship here, but it takes forever. Also 50/50 chance of getting your order messed up, at least from my past ordering experiences.

I haven't had an order messed up, but the shipping can be long and they might ship your orders separately.

PhunkMonkey
Apr 15, 2001
Well dammit Criterion, you force me once again to make a purchase. I snagged Rushmore, The Royals Tenenbaums, and The Darjeeling Limited. A little Wes Anderson party it appears.

I would have snagged The Life Aquatic as well but there is no Bluray as of yet. What's the story on that one? Stuck in the queue of DVD to Bluray upgrades?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm picking up the Gainsbourgh Pictures Eclipse set, Le Notti Bianche and upgrading my copy of Brazil to Blu-Ray.

Now that I am finally giving in and not waiting for them to maybe announce a BRD of Le Notti Bianche it's totally happening.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

kuddles posted:

I've never had an issue, but I don't really mind waiting a month or more for my DVDs.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

kuddles posted:

They still use horse and carriage for delivery.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PhunkMonkey posted:

I would have snagged The Life Aquatic as well but there is no Bluray as of yet. What's the story on that one? Stuck in the queue of DVD to Bluray upgrades?

It's inevitable. Probably by next year. It helps that it has a 2K digital intermediate on the shelf ready for Blu-Ray.

By the way, if anyone is looking for hidden treasures to discover, Army of Shadows, The Gold Rush, Bigger Than Life, Island of Lost Souls, and People On Sunday are all great movies and among Criterion's best releases. The Gold Rush is a really special release considering they did a full restoration of the silent version, complete with a 5.1 orchestral score. It's as much as a difference as seeing Metropolis uncut and with its original score.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
This is excellent timing.

I have to round out a few directors so that means The Darjeeling Limited and Bottle Rocket, Le Doulos and Le Deuxieme Souffle, and Summer Interlude and Summer With Monika. For the others The Quatsi Trilogy, The Music Room, and Ugetsu.

Also, looking at the features for the Three Colors set, are the extras worth it? I'm interested in the documentary with Red and the cinema lessons with Kieslowski, but I'm pretty happy with the Miramax DVDs and love Annette Insdorf's commentary.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Picked up Bottle Rocket, Following and Pina. I recently acquired a 3D display so Pina should be interesting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm strapped for cash currently but I couldn't resist and grabbed the Jean Painleve Science is Fiction set. The preview video of that octopus is hypnotic.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Macrame_God posted:

Picked up Bottle Rocket, Following and Pina. I recently acquired a 3D display so Pina should be interesting.

Pina's real good; if it wasn't on Netflix instant, I would have grabbed it up for this sale. Didn't see it in 3D, though, I'm certain it'll be a treat.

JordanFreeman
Jan 14, 2013

I like to play videogames.
I picked up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro Box Set and Godzilla for $55. Normally I don't spend very much on film, but how could I resist a sale like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

barkingclam posted:

I've never had an issue, but I don't really mind waiting a month or more for my DVDs.
Alright, I don't mind waiting for them. Also, aside from the high shipping costs to Canada direct from Criterion, the fact that I kind of already overspent my budget this month, and that there's a couple Criterions in March I'm really excited about, I might as well wait until the B&N sale. My movie buff brain keeps acting like I'm committing some heinous sin for not participating in this flash sale, though.