Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I didn't enjoy regular Shogun 2 naval battles but FoTS were pretty entertaining when you figured out that the front facing cannon on your kotetsu was the best gun in the game and could 1 shot basically any ship.

I don't know if they fixed it but a fleet of 3 kotetsu were pretty much unbeatable (I never lost a match with them) in FOTS multiplayer if you used the mastermind strategy of full steam ahead until in range, reverse while firing until the other guys boats explode. I'm ashamed to say I did this a lot, but in my defence I was trying to get all the units unlocked and I hated sea battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

It looks like they are keeping the Beserker and Night Hunter Units, were those guys a thing in Germania, I thought Beserkers were much later in the Viking Age.

They were but I don't mind that they add some fun ahistorical units for flavor, I'm surprised that they didn't mention anything about cavalry since weren't the Subei pretty into that according to Caesar?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2013

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they had historically accurate horses. I want Macedonian horses to be powerful but slow, the Parthians fast and nimble and the Gauls riding in ponies :spergin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

They were but I don't mind that they add some fun ahistorical units for flavor, I'm surprised that they didn't mention anything about cavalry since weren't they pretty into that according to Caesar?

Yeah, I enjoy the approach that they start out from a historical foundation but go with the pop-culture version when it makes things more entertaining or interesting. Like the ninja units in S2, or the screaming german women and head-throwers in Rome I.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Getting ready to go back and play some older TW games that I haven't messed with in awhile.

- Empire / Napoleon: I never really played much Empire or Napoleon. What mods do you guys recommend for them, if any? I'm probably more interested in the larger scale of Empire over Napoleon.

- MTWII: Played tons, but not in awhile. What mods are recommended for Kingdoms? I never played a Rome / Byz game and would like to try that.

Thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Getting ready to go back and play some older TW games that I haven't messed with in awhile.

- Empire / Napoleon: I never really played much Empire or Napoleon. What mods do you guys recommend for them, if any? I'm probably more interested in the larger scale of Empire over Napoleon.

- MTWII: Played tons, but not in awhile. What mods are recommended for Kingdoms? I never played a Rome / Byz game and would like to try that.

Thanks!

I think there was never a mod scene for Empire and Napoleon. Something regarding lack of mod tools, I think.

Kingdoms got some great mods. I'd recommend Lands to Conquer (I don't think it's available any more though, all links are dead) as a MTW2+, and Stainless Steel 6.4 as an overall harder, kinda more realistic mod (you can set some stuff to improve the realism, or reduce it, such like supply lines and winter attrition).

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Thanks!

I'm not sure if you just meant mods to make Vanilla Kingdoms better (in which case you want Stainless Steel) but Broken Crescent is a great mod if you want to play Byzantium outside of Vanilla. It shifts the campaign map away from Europe to the Near and Middle East and parts of Central Asia and India meaning Byzantium is in the Northeast of the game and you thus you focus (mostly) on trying to hold on as Islam's power waxes. Oh and while more recent M:TW 2 mods have surpassed it, BC's units look pretty good, especially the Byzantine ones:

The mod has solid gameplay and does some clever stuff with AOR restrictions.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

It looks like they are keeping the Beserker and Night Hunter Units, were those guys a thing in Germania, I thought Beserkers were much later in the Viking Age.
Berserker wear bear pelts and only the commander in the foreground appears to be one. The others are Ulfsarks(Wolfskins), which are lighter infantry mostly known from Age of Mythology and historians today don't see them as a different class any more but rather berserkers that couldn't afford a dead bear.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Thanks!

Stainless Steel or Broken Crescent are definitely the goto mods for MTW2. SS if you want a tough vanilla version (although the AI cheats like a motherfucker in this mod to make it tough) or Broken Cresent if you're tired of staring at Europe.

Napoleon is just great as it is, but get one of the mods that unlocks all the factions for the grand campaign.

I personally love Empire for its scope, but the campaign AI is probably the weakest on this one because of it. As much as I hate the maker, DarthMod for Empire worked well in fixing the battle AI, at least. I'm not convinced the strategic AI is any better, though. One thing I really didn't like about DarthMod that I would rethink if I were to play again: it makes recruited troops drain population, making it harder to recruit from America, which is the only place with populations <500K.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I heard that Rome I has trouble with big cities eventually getting restive and revolting no matter what you do. Is this true? And if it is, are there any good fix mods?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I heard that Rome I has trouble with big cities eventually getting restive and revolting no matter what you do. Is this true? And if it is, are there any good fix mods?

The fix is move your garrison out of the city, crank up the taxes for a few turns, let it revolt, then retake the city and exterminate the populace. I've never had a real problem with squalor with EB, though, as long as I build the health buildings.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Having some weird graphic problems that hopefully someone else has dealt with because I've tried everything. All my soldiers and generals look like the elephant man.

You can't see it in those screens but their heads are even mongoloid looking on the campaign map. I've tried everything short of reinstalling. Everything else looks fine and my agents are normal looking. It's the same on every setting and I've tried defragmenting/verifying the cache. Anyone have any ideas? I guess it doesn't make it completely unplayable but in fights all the troops look shittier than shogun 1 units.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That usually looks like something that happens when you force AA through your drivers, though that usually affects a bunch of stuff on screen instead of just that small part of the UI.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

It is a big problem, which as someone said can be taken care of by allowing revolt and retaking, however, that is just tedious to me and you can easily edit the stats of buildings to include +health, so pretty much every game I play the city walls also afford a certain level of health.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Asehujiko posted:

Berserker wear bear pelts and only the commander in the foreground appears to be one. The others are Ulfsarks(Wolfskins), which are lighter infantry mostly known from Age of Mythology and historians today don't see them as a different class any more but rather berserkers that couldn't afford a dead bear.
Ah yes the Ulfsarks, how I loved going on the Age of Mythology editor and making armies of them fight :allears: Age of Mythology was the best RTS.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Sober posted:

That usually looks like something that happens when you force AA through your drivers, though that usually affects a bunch of stuff on screen instead of just that small part of the UI.

Don't know how to do that so don't think that's it unless forcing your AA through drivers is something that can happen automatically. Thanks though. And if it was just part of the interface I wouldn't care but every single head looks like that in the fights too, and some armor has weird clipping issues. Also I can only see spears up close. Zoom out even a little bit and they disappear. Never had any of these problems till a few days ago.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Thanks!

For Empire I like A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita. Like everyone says the campaign AI for Empire is not so hot, mainly in how it deals with multi theater nations: it doesn't. I don't think any mod can fix this, and even though Darth Mod claims he makes all sorts of adjustments to stuff the CA devs said his changes are bullshit because they literally can't be done. APE: Terra Incognita adds some new features like manpower and supply which simulate extra resources needed to field armies and they are separate for each theater. This limits your main power base to Europe and makes your territories in the Americas or India rather difficult to hold as you can only make large numbers of troops in Europe and ship them overseas. The AI doesn't have to play by these rules of manpower and supply but they are still limited (as is the player) to creating local colonial(militia & indigenous style) troops in the Americas and in India. I feel like it does a pretty good job of making it feel like running a giant world wide empire is no joke, as opposed to just 'get money, spend it anywhere yeaaaaaa'.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1163

For Napoleon I would go with Darth Mod(he toned down the sperglord poo poo somehow). Napoleon is really such a huge improvement on Empire that actually the base game is probably the best of any TW to that time. Darthmod has a nice launcher that with let you turn on and off a bunch of poo poo easily, includes some graphical mods and bunch of different tweaks. If you computer can handle it, turn on the 40 units per army mod, it makes the game incredible. The AI full embraces it too which is excellent.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=513599

For both games I 100% suggest turning off the mini map, and depending how good you are at RTS games, the unit flags also. Shogun embraced the fact that the AI will never be as good as the human and let you do legendary mode which turned off those features. Honestly I don't think it does much to Shogun considering how compact the armies are, but in Napoleon(especially with the 40 units per army) the battle will span across the huge battlefields(which normally never see action on more than 1/4 of it) and I think it really strikes a balance between how the player can manage a smaller group of units very well better vs the AI controlling an entire army somewhat poorly.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 16, 2013

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Trujillo posted:

You can't see it in those screens but their heads are even mongoloid looking on the campaign map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid posted:

Mongoloid refers to populations that share certain phenotypic traits such as epicanthic fold and shovel-shaped incisors and other physical traits common in most of Asia

:v:

As for ahistorical units, I hope they still have flaming pigs. Or were they actually a thing? Turns out they were.

Endman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 16, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Any way to turn off the radar in Med 2?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I never understand the hate for Shogun 2 naval battles which I basically always fight. Nothing like getting a massive stack of the little bow ships with fire arrows and torching the enemy fleets.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Yeah, it makes playing some barbarian factions (Scythians especially) a pain in the arse, but civilized factions should be able to finish the game before it becomes a problem.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I never understand the hate for Shogun 2 naval battles which I basically always fight. Nothing like getting a massive stack of the little bow ships with fire arrows and torching the enemy fleets.

The problem is there's no variation in how they play out. It's essentially just move and attack. In Napoleon positioning actually matters because being upwind or downwind determines how you can maneuver.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

My laptop can't run Shogun 2 and I really want Rome II so I'm trying to look at new laptops down the line and found this one.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+17.3%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/7917075.p?id=1218862019838&skuId=7917075

I'm not really good with understanding computer specs, but it has a nice price and I was wondering if it would run Shogun 2 or potentially Rome 2 well?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

yeah you can kite the hell out of most fights and win regardless of your make up, but then you realize you've just wasted 20 minutes doing it and...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

achillesforever6 posted:

My laptop can't run Shogun 2 and I really want Rome II so I'm trying to look at new laptops down the line and found this one.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+17.3%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/7917075.p?id=1218862019838&skuId=7917075

I'm not really good with understanding computer specs, but it has a nice price and I was wondering if it would run Shogun 2 or potentially Rome 2 well?

I'm not a computer expert but ... I think run, yes. That's about it though. It hasn't got a dedicated graphics card so I wouldn't be hopeful; aren't the Total War games some of the most demanding on the market now?

Also does anybody know any mods for Shogun 2 that increase upkeep costs? I know I'm the minority here but I can't stand huge armies. Or if anybody knows how I'd edit the values myself...

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Koramei posted:

I'm not a computer expert but ... I think run, yes. That's about it though. It hasn't got a dedicated graphics card so I wouldn't be hopeful; aren't the Total War games some of the most demanding on the market now?

Not really no, there are a lot of games more demanding on the GPU than Shogun, they do tax the CPU though when the battles get bigger. Supposedly they're aiming for a high degree of scalability with Rome 2 as well.

Edit: But no, that laptop wouldn't run shogun well, are you committed to having a laptop? Also if its Rome you really want to play it would be better to wait and get something when it's released because you'll get better performance for the price by then.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2013

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
It will probably run, but like poo poo. I know my stuff because I don't have a gaming pc, rather a laptop that struggled to run it at minimum, and more recently, a laptop that can run it fairly well at average.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Shorter Than Some posted:

Not really no, there are a lot of games more demanding on the GPU than Shogun, they do tax the CPU though when the battles get bigger.

I don't mean to derail but, like what? I can think of maybe half a dozen examples but that's it; most PC exclusives these days are indies, which admittedly sometimes run like poo poo but I wouldn't really count them just for bad optimization. In terms of graphical fidelity Shogun 2 is just about top of the line.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Shorter Than Some posted:

Not really no, there are a lot of games more demanding on the GPU than Shogun, they do tax the CPU though when the battles get bigger. Supposedly they're aiming for a high degree of scalability with Rome 2 as well.

Edit: But no, that laptop wouldn't run shogun well, are you committed to having a laptop? Also if its Rome you really want to play it would be better to wait and get something when it's released because you'll get better performance for the price by then.
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I would rather have a laptop just because I like the portability of it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Consider replaying the old Total War games on your laptop. Rome and M2 run pretty well on mine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Consider replaying the old Total War games on your laptop. Rome and M2 run pretty well on mine.
That they do, I never seem to find the time to play them though, I always get procrastinated by other things.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I would rather have a laptop just because I like the portability of it.

You should check out the Cyberpower laptops, they're pretty decently priced and should be able to run the newer Total War games pretty easily. My desktop is a Cyberpower (~6 years old, can't be bothered building one from scratch but I do keep it upgraded) and my roommate's laptop is a Cyberpower, both work flawlessly. Also I kinda have a thing about not giving money to Best Buy.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Promontory posted:

This won't make any sense if the unit's upkeep costs more than the merchant generates, but you can stack multiple traders on top of the same resource that way.

:psyduck: How did I never think of this? Does each merchy earn gold for trading the resource?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Squalor in Rome is simply a result of having a large population. You cannot reduce it (other than decreasing the population), and you're not supposed to.

It reduces reduces happiness and population growth, while health increases both. So while health buildings will let you increase the city size, their bonus to happiness will only even out the increase in squalor. And the bigger the city grows, the more garrison troops you need to keep their public order bonus the same. Only the number of troops counts, so in vanilla Rome, peasants are the best garrison troops. Once a city grows beyond 20000, you can no longer get the full garrison bonus.

The most important things is to be careful with buildings that increase your population growth without also increasing public order in some way, i.e. farms, and to prioritize those that affect public order without increasing growth (execution squares, arenas, taverns, etc.)

Training lots of peasants will reduce the population a bit while also increasing the garrison size, so that can help.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 17, 2013

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Recruiting big trains of peasants from your capital cities and marching them to the frontier to disband is a good way to let new towns grow fast, and keep the squalor down in your core cities.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

the JJ posted:

:psyduck: How did I never think of this? Does each merchy earn gold for trading the resource?

Yes. They'll all start earning traits, too, if you meet the requirements.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Squalor in Rome is simply a result of having a large population. You cannot reduce it (other than decreasing the population), and you're not supposed to.

It reduces reduces happiness and population growth, while health increases both. So while health buildings will let you increase the city size, their bonus to happiness will only even out the increase in squalor. And the bigger the city grows, the more garrison troops you need to keep their public order bonus the same. Only the number of troops counts, so in vanilla Rome, peasants are the best garrison troops. Once a city grows beyond 20000, you can no longer get the full garrison bonus.

The most important things is to be careful with buildings that increase your population growth without also increasing public order in some way, i.e. farms, and to prioritize those that affect public order without increasing growth (execution squares, arenas, taverns, etc.)

Training lots of peasants will reduce the population a bit while also increasing the garrison size, so that can help.

If you train peasants, then disband the unit, does the population go back into the city?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Tyack posted:

If you train peasants, then disband the unit, does the population go back into the city?

Yes, all units actually.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is actually a tactic used to rapidly tech up frontier cities, which you needed to do in order to efficiently feed units into the frontline meatgrinders.

I don't want Total War to become a grognardy wargame, but I do think that the ideal of its concept is for nations to have one or two 'standing armies'. The scarcity of generals in Napoleon and Shogun, as well as the fact that units regenerate when attached to a general is already pushing the game in this direction. Ideally fighting without a general should be a terrible idea that you should want to avoid at all costs.

The next thing that needs to happen is a bit more work on is on how battles happen. Currently armies fight either over cities or directly between cities - other battles don't happen. You are unlikely to ever see an AI defend a bridge, and if you do you can simply march around to another crossing point. Likewise there's no need to ever step into an ambush. All that 'zone of control' has really done for the game so far is winden the area you have to move to avoid a fight you don't want. The game needs some concept of supply lines and lines of communication so that there's some way to manoeuvre on the strategic map to force a fight where you want to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I agree with Alchenar. I actually like that focus on standing armies - when preparing for Realm Divide as the Oda, I prioritized getting provinces with natural chokepoints, while avoiding the ones without them. I ended up with three armies and a mobile reserve. Its a shame cavalry is so underused in Shogun 2 - my first two Cavalry units were the ones you get after becoming Shogun. :v: