Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bob NewSCART posted:

I recommend everyone watch the documentary titled Senna, it's probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen and it's a really sad story. The season that senna passed away he was constantly insisting that the cars were extremely unsafe to drive because of how fast and uncontrollable they were and the weekend he got in his accident there were 2 other brutal crashes.

Yes. Do this right now. It's on Netflix and YouTube so no excuses if you haven't seen it yet.

Since I'm sick of seeing racing drivers getting killed, how about a video of Senna heel-toeing an NSX around Suzuka in Italian loafers?

http://youtu.be/8By2AEsGAhU?t=30s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The Boston Public Library put an enormous collection of documentary photos of wrecked cars from the early 20th century online here. It's impressive how horribly mangled cars could get at the low speeds back then when they weren't designed with safety in mind.

You can embed them in the forum by clicking the "share" button above the photo.

Truck crashes through garage several stories up East Cambridge by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

oops

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Senna is absolutely a must watch film if you post or lurk in AI. It's amazing.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

atomicthumbs posted:

The Boston Public Library put an enormous collection of documentary photos of wrecked cars from the early 20th century online here. It's impressive how horribly mangled cars could get at the low speeds back then when they weren't designed with safety in mind.

It was nice of this truck to lay over and expose it's underbelly so we can all stare at the chain drive rearend.

Truck and El Bus collide in South Boston by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/02/this-guys-car-got-stuck-at-125mph-for-an-hour/273140/

French dude with Renault Laguna adapted to his disabilities is stuck at 125mph for an hour. Roads cleared, he drives across northern France until he runs out of gas, nobody apparently hurt. Amazing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

Senna is absolutely a must watch film if you post or lurk in AI. It's amazing.

I got to see it when it came through the indie theather near me, absolutely mind-blowing on the big screen.

I think the most bizarre crash has to be Earnhardt's, just for how low-key it was. Just one big hit and then sliding along the wall, but he hit it at just the right angle to cause the ultimately-fatal injury.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEj4RNpYME

:getin:

That looks like Laguna Seca right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Unless you know of another Corkscrew somewhere, I'd say yes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

A co-worker friend from another department came rushing up to me the other day, babbling like a little boy about a Porsche in our lot that I had to see. "It has yellow rims", he wailed, "yellow rims..."

Turns out it's a GT2 owned by one of our bigshots, who came out while I was ogling it and started it up. He said he's "taken it up to 160 on the track", so it was nice to know it's being driven properly :quagmire:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

parrhesia posted:

Now have some Renault R4s.

quote:

The Renault 4 was originally powered by a 20 hp (15 kW) engine and its suspension was never intended for sporting dynamics, so it should have been no surprise that it came last in the 1962 Monte-Carlo Rally.

A Renault 4 Sinpar (the four-wheel drive version) was entered in the Paris-Dakar Rally in 1979 and 1980 by Bernard and Claude Marreau, coming fifth in 1979 and in third in 1980.

Standard Renault 4s has taken part in a drag race at Santa Pod Raceway, Northamptonshire since 2004, and covered the quarter mile in 21.438 seconds with a terminal speed of 59.14 mph.

I want one! <3

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Finishing the Paris-Dakar is a feat in itself, it's amazing that a cheap underpowered French car made for skinflint farmers could do it and return in one piece.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiV-8UYsPQ

A nice segment on the Citroen DS via Jalopnik.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Who cares about top speed at a track when you have stuff like laptimes? :confused:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TyChan posted:

A nice segment on the Citroen DS via Jalopnik.

I have a firm belief that the DS is the greatest car ever made, and that it will never be topped or outdone. I'll own one (or a C6) someday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

"It has yellow rims", he wailed, "yellow rims..."

The Scott Farkus model.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was looking at cars for sale and stumbled across a Peugeot 205 GTI (I've always wanted one) and thought I'd have a look at the dealer's website.

No less than 7 GTIs in that picture alone, and 10 in total on their website, all in absolutely perfect condition :aaa:

And it doesn't stop there, either:

Peugeot 405 MI16

Renault 5 Turbo 2

Toyota Celica 2000 GT DOHC

Alfa Bertone GT 2000 Veloce

Alfa Bertone GTV 2000

Alfa Romeo 1300 GTJ

Mazda 323 GTX

I should go visit them sometime soon...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Alfa Bertone GT 2000 Veloce

I should go visit them sometime soon...

Gorgeous car in a a gorgeous colour. Dijon mustard yes please.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Renault 5 Turbo 2

I love these so freakin much

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Moxie Omen posted:

I love these so freakin much

If nothing else, the absolutely ridiculous difference in tire widths between the front and rear really should make you take notice, it's completely ridiculous. And then there are the multiple WRC victories, of course.

Here's a high-res wallpaper I stole from Wikipedia:

(Click for ginormous)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Ahh, Group B :allears:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

KozmoNaut posted:

Alfa Romeo 1300 GTJ

Yes please.

Furthermore,

Alfa Romeo Giulia Prototype, styled by Centro Stile. Also, just like the Renault 4 pictures, there are larger versions on imgur. Just remove the l from URL.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Whats this? It showed up on my facebook feed.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A McLaren P1 that looks like somebody's coloured green in photoshop.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Indeed. But I love the red color they used in one of them. Gallery

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Peugeot 405 MI16

Identical to my first car. That was a fun car. And it tought me to hate anything that has to do with car electrics. I was this close to buying a 405 T16 once upon a time too, but the high risk of grenading the transfer case stopped me. I regret this.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

parrhesia posted:

Yes please.

Furthermore,

Alfa Romeo Giulia Prototype, styled by Centro Stile. Also, just like the Renault 4 pictures, there are larger versions on imgur. Just remove the l from URL.

I rather like that. To me it looks like a Karmann Ghia and an XJ6 had a baby.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I dunno if this makes the guy the most awesome dad in the world, or the most bogan dad in the world... either way its drat cool!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/is-this-mini-land-cruiser-owner-the-luckiest-boy-in-australia/story-fnet085v-1226577840954

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

I dunno if this makes the guy the most awesome dad in the world, or the most bogan dad in the world... either way its drat cool!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/is-this-mini-land-cruiser-owner-the-luckiest-boy-in-australia/story-fnet085v-1226577840954

Clearly awesome. I'm still trying to figure out if a real 'cruiser died to make that or what.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Identical to my first car. That was a fun car. And it tought me to hate anything that has to do with car electrics. I was this close to buying a 405 T16 once upon a time too, but the high risk of grenading the transfer case stopped me. I regret this.

You had an MI16 as your first car? You magnificent bastard, I've always wanted one myself. Although I'm quite satisfied with driving its successor right now (406 TS4/SRi). I was actually looking at buying that exact 405 this summer, but they wanted crazy money for it, so I got the 406 instead for more reasonable money.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I know we're already very used to the legal disclaimers that accompany anything nowadays, but I just have the share the opening of the warning Factory Five give in their manuals:

Factory Five posted:

While there are many things to love and be proud of in our country today there are a few things that we wish were different. With regret and a small amount of resentment we include the following warning and statement of non-liability at the advice of men with soft hands and necks the size of pencils...

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Who reads the warnings for a friggin' Cobra? Just take the car back if you're going to live like that. Be sure to include your man card. :colbert:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is not getting enough love, those are some ballsy guys. Looks like a blast, if a bit terrifying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

This is not getting enough love, those are some ballsy guys. Looks like a blast, if a bit terrifying.

It's even more ballsy if you consider the car stalled after the last turn, and that smoke behind it is electrical smoke.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, the UK likes to confuse people by having two motorsports called hillclimbing. The muddy one is usually called trials instead to differentiate it from the sprinting kind. And confuse it with the spandex-and-Gas-Gas lot instead. You can't win, really.

There's a scene in The Fast Lady where they end up taking a shortcut through the middle of one, watch out for an early Lotus (Mark IV I think?) on the startline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGOembZZSOM&t=382s

(The film is pretty typical British comedy from the early sixties, but buying a Bentley four-and-a-half litre as your first car to impress a girl can probably be classed as AI.)

Edit:
Good show, Mini. I might not like your stupid cars, but well played:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 16, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Where we're parking we don't need roads.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My god that's excellent. Reminds me of high school. We used to do that stuff all the time when we came in for our Saturday workouts for football. One time my friend tried it in his '77 Olds Ninety-Eight. After the workout, his car was quite stuck on top of the snow mound. It took about 9 guys to lift the back end of the car up and over.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I did that with an old corolla I used to drive and got high centered, it took 6 people, 3 on each end of the car to drag it off so I could drive home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Muffinpox posted:

Where we're parking we don't need roads.

HEY!

(When I got back out there were half a dozen people taking pictures. All confused.)

The only issue with that and it might not be an issue is oiling for the motor.