Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Is the Turian soldier good for anything? I've wasted 2 respec cards on him, maxing stability so that the Striker, Typhoon and Revenant had next to no recoil, max shields and proxy mine, then redoing it to max concussion shot for more flexibility and dropping Marksman down to 3, but he still seems pretty useless. It's nice having really heavy shields and health, but if I want a tank then I might as well go Krogan or Destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
3 in conc, 5 in prox, 6 in everything else.

Prox everything and shoot, he gets a lot of passive weapon damage without the movement penalties of d-mode destroyer, prox is a pretty much always-on 20% damage boost that stacks, conc to detonate incendiary ammo for fire explosions, marksman for general shooting.

I use him to help grind out some weapon challenges - I'm doing the SMG title and ugh are so many of those bad.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just got out of my most infuriating game (yet) : I activate cloak behind cover, I let the animation end then I run out. Well, instead of cloak I must have activated the "start glowing and have a couple of giant arrows pointing at me" power, because the whole map (London) saw me and a second later I was on the ground bleeding. This happened multiple times throughout the game. My teammates were typical pubbie material and I can't drat well solo Gold when those geth assholes stop following the rules and shoot me when I'm supposedly unshootable.

So... what the hell? Lag? I got 100 hours logged and this never happened before.

Oh, and by the way, that plasma goo of death Primes fire from the opposite end of the map and that somehow follows you around corners where you think you're safe but they hit you in the rear end and you're dead? Not a fan of that either.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
London is just a lovely map, that's all there is to it :shepface:
Double so against Geth though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

seravid posted:

I just got out of my most infuriating game (yet) : I activate cloak behind cover, I let the animation end then I run out. Well, instead of cloak I must have activated the "start glowing and have a couple of giant arrows pointing at me" power, because the whole map (London) saw me and a second later I was on the ground bleeding. This happened multiple times throughout the game. My teammates were typical pubbie material and I can't drat well solo Gold when those geth assholes stop following the rules and shoot me when I'm supposedly unshootable.
Were you the only one left standing at that point? The game will periodically give the enemies your location when that happens, even if you're cloaked.

And yeah, gently caress Primes being able to stunlock you to death from all the way across the map if they can arc the shot through the slightest gap.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I haven't really played this game in a long while, but I'll probably be playing this weekend. So many new classes! :drat:

What is the maximum funhaver class? I played a fair bit last weekend, so I have some of the new things, take a look. Any recommendations?

Also add me. GT: Fanzay

EDIT: Have they fixed SMG ultralight materials? It's been a while.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 15, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fanzay posted:

I haven't really played this game in a long while, but I'll probably be playing this weekend. So many new classes! :drat:

What is the maximum funhaver class? I played a fair bit last weekend, so I have some of the new things, take a look. Any recommendations?

Also add me. GT: Fanzay

EDIT: Have they fixed SMG ultralight materials? It's been a while.

I haven't used him yet, but the Batarian Brawler Biotic Charges things then Falcon Punches their goddamned heads off. Is this to your liking?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alteisen posted:

The retarded changes to cloak really hurt her but yea she's really solid, I ignored electric slash completely and went 6 on everything speccing entirely for melee and stacking as many melee bonuses as I could on gear, omniblader on an M-8 avenger and melee enhancing consumables and its awesome, I can one shot most things even on gold.

Because shockwave is the biggest pile of poo poo biotic power ever.

Shockwave is actually pretty good now. Maybe you don't want to take it on a vanguard where it's just a distraction to the ABCs (although it can be a useful tool if you're taking a human vanguard to gold if you're playing an enemy type that's stagger happy), but it works pretty well on the other classes that have it, especially batarian. It's great for forcing embedded enemies out of cover so you can shoot them or use another power on them (since its recharge time is quick)

And maybe I could understand not taking electric slash to 6 as a playstyle choice, but skipping a power all together that allows you to waste trash, slow advancement of most enemies and set off tech combos from behind the walls of other rooms just seems silly. Not to mention that there's some issue with the collector's hit detection that basically means it's really difficult to miss them so you can basically hang out up stairs and ninja flip death down on one of the most annoying classes in the game.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

BreakAtmo posted:

I haven't used him yet, but the Batarian Brawler Biotic Charges things then Falcon Punches their goddamned heads off. Is this to your liking?

Considering one of the classes I used to play the most was the Batarian Soldier, I'd say yes! Sounds good! I'l start with that when I get to playing tonight. I hope I find someone to play with. :ohdear:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Schubalts posted:

Running through an enemy with Krogan melee like 50 times is THE BEST THING. Seriously, I went down so many times against Geth just now because of that poo poo. And then getting stun-locked because everything decided to just ignore the Krogan stagger resistance.
Sometimes it helps to do a light melee first, which has a better chance of locking on, then following up with the heavy. Charge is also a good target lock if you're playing Kroguard.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Is the Turian soldier good for anything? I've wasted 2 respec cards on him, maxing stability so that the Striker, Typhoon and Revenant had next to no recoil, max shields and proxy mine, then redoing it to max concussion shot for more flexibility and dropping Marksman down to 3, but he still seems pretty useless. It's nice having really heavy shields and health, but if I want a tank then I might as well go Krogan or Destroyer.

The best time I had with the Tyrian soldier is when I use a lighter full auto gun and spam conc and proxy all the time. Conc is great for stagger, and proxy will explode even if you shoot it directly at an enemy, so you can use it like a weird rocket launcher.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Something that doesn't seem to click with most people is that the krogan heavy melee only goes straight forward if you're pressing straight forward (or no direction). If you're still holding diagonal when you trigger it, you'll go diagonal. Annoying at first, because you won't realize you didn't let go of left or right quick enough before meleeing, and whiff slightly left or right. But once you get used to it you can turn on a loving dime in the middle of a sprint and heavy melee some poor schmuck around a corner. Not something you want to be trying every time, since it's not foolproof, but when you need it, it's pretty handy to pull out of your bag of tricks.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
So is it mostly PC goons playing this game anymore?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fanzay posted:

So is it mostly PC goons playing this game anymore?

I still periodically play--I'm on Xbox--for weekend challenges. I'm hoping for a DLC drop soon. This may be the case for others, as well.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
That's what I thought. I've slung out some friend requests.
I'll be playing this weekend, so add my GT: Fanzay for a good time.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

1st AD posted:

That Killstreak 3 one was ridiculously easy, I got it done on wave 4 of my first Gold match and I still had missiles to spare at extraction.

Same here, but I used a Drell Adept. Totally carried the game for my team, and made me remember both how fun this game can be and how loving badass the Drell Adept is.

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH

Fanzay posted:

That's what I thought. I've slung out some friend requests.
I'll be playing this weekend, so add my GT: Fanzay for a good time.

There are a group of goons on xbox that still play on a fairly regular basis, make sure you add N7 Goons to your friends list if you haven't done so already (metatag). Just send some of the people on the list a message or invite. GT: Baron von Moose by the way.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Psion posted:

3 in conc, 5 in prox, 6 in everything else.

Prox everything and shoot, he gets a lot of passive weapon damage without the movement penalties of d-mode destroyer, prox is a pretty much always-on 20% damage boost that stacks, conc to detonate incendiary ammo for fire explosions, marksman for general shooting.

I use him to help grind out some weapon challenges - I'm doing the SMG title and ugh are so many of those bad.

Seconding this, it's what I've been playing all week actually:

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Soldier/Turian/ODINR//////

It's worth noting that having maxed out HV barrels for your smgs/ars is fairly important if you want to do more than annoy bosses. Also the choice between accuracy and RoF for marksman should depend on what kind of gun you intend to roll with primarily - if you're thinking Revenant or Piranha, accuracy helps a lot. If you're going with an SMG or a less bouncy AR then RoF will do you well.

General tactics tip, vs. individual mooks just use conc shot to harass and shoot them normally, don't worry about using Marksman on everything you see (also remember conc does like 400% damage vs. barriers, really helpful vs. phantoms and collectors). When it's boss/pyro/turret killing time, hit them with a prox mine and keep shooting while your cooldown finishes up, then hit Marksman asap (refills your clip which is nice!) and hit them with 5+ solid seconds of pretty darn high DPS. Again, HV barrel kind of a must here.

Fire ammo plays very nice with all this, highly recommended. If you're short on that then warp ammo is also quite nice on its own, and gets hugely boosted if a biotic is also on your team. Have fun!

Trykt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 15, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Paracelsus posted:

Were you the only one left standing at that point? The game will periodically give the enemies your location when that happens, even if you're cloaked.

Yes I was. Is that really a thing? You're already severely outnumbered and outgunned, there's no need for an handicap like that!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burning Mustache posted:

London is just a lovely map, that's all there is to it :shepface:
Double so against Geth though.

Condor/Collectors. :suicide:

Really Collectors on any wide open map can eat a barrel of dicks.

quote:

Shockwave is actually pretty good now. Maybe you don't want to take it on a vanguard where it's just a distraction to the ABCs (although it can be a useful tool if you're taking a human vanguard to gold if you're playing an enemy type that's stagger happy), but it works pretty well on the other classes that have it, especially batarian. It's great for forcing embedded enemies out of cover so you can shoot them or use another power on them (since its recharge time is quick)

I just never liked it, found it to be inconsistent for me, only char I take it on is my Krodept and mostly because I don't have a choice if I want a detonator. On everything else I skip it, especially on the bat sent, being able to poo poo out nets constantly is fantastic.

quote:

And maybe I could understand not taking electric slash to 6 as a playstyle choice, but skipping a power all together that allows you to waste trash, slow advancement of most enemies and set off tech combos from behind the walls of other rooms just seems silly. Not to mention that there's some issue with the collector's hit detection that basically means it's really difficult to miss them so you can basically hang out up stairs and ninja flip death down on one of the most annoying classes in the game.

I just don't wanna skimp on any melee bonuses on her, unlike everyone else, the shadow's fitness provives more than just shield or melee damage, it also gives her added damage to certain armor types, I guess I could just take it to 5 and ignore the added sword effect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

seravid posted:

Yes I was. Is that really a thing? You're already severely outnumbered and outgunned, there's no need for an handicap like that!
I think it's to prevent the AI from getting confused and just standing there when they think there's no one out there, making it stupid easy for a solo infiltrator to cheese the round. It's not a constant update, as far as I know, just an occasional blip sent out that probably happened to coincide with when you popped out of cover.

It's also possible that an enemy may have seen you before you cloaked, which messes things up. It's why Shadows need to be careful when they cloak to SS against Guardians, because if anyone sees them do it then they'll be hitting shield instead of back.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hurricane IV. :getin:

I knew one gold match would do it, ditto with using a character with Dark Channel, it just rips right through banshees.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
So apparently this weekend's challenge comes with a new banner:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I just finished a gold match with a person managing to score a whooping 3000 points at the end of round 10, before those end of match bonusses. And he played all 10 rounds. :stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lynx posted:

Erotic God.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Lynx posted:

I shall toss Wasea about like a rag doll! I will tear her apart! My biotics are unstoppable!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Charlie Mopps posted:

I just finished a gold match with a person managing to score a whooping 3000 points at the end of round 10, before those end of match bonusses. And he played all 10 rounds. :stare:

Volus?

If there's one score related change I want to see in the DLC, it's giving volus credit for heals. Support Assists or something - they heal damage, get points. They heal you while you kill a bad guy, support assist.

It can be a low number of points since I'm sure it'd be super cheesable, but a good volus shouldn't finish games with 3500 points on the board.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That sounds like the average round for me with a Kishock.

I can't make that gun work.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Aphrodite posted:

That sounds like the average round for me with a Kishock.

I can't make that gun work.

Try using it at shotgun ranges instead of sniper rifle ranges.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So last night I took the old Volus PinballGuard out and decided to listen to my own advice and go 6/6/6/6/0 and took the Bonus Power evo on Charge.

Dude just would not die.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Try using it at shotgun ranges instead of sniper rifle ranges.

Or try this: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Quarian/PAPLR/KishockHarpoon10AR5AQ5/////

Charge, Cloak, Sabotage, Shoot (aim for the head), Repeat.

My first 200k+ score came from this build :)

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
:siren: Attention artistic goons: :siren:

quote:

If you’ve been playing a lot of multiplayer since the release of Mass Effect 3: Retaliation, chances are that you’ve already gotten yourself a sizeable collection of in-game banners. As proud of those accomplishments as you are, have you ever thought about how cool it would be to create a banner of your own? Well, wonder no more!

How would you like to create a multiplayer banner and have your design featured in Mass Effect 3?

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/02/15/community-banner-contest/

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Valkyrie V :suicide:

Well, maybe the gun becomes semi-useful at X ...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA .... nope :smith:

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Lynx posted:

Yeah I'm definitely doing this.

Send Sozzymandias your friend requests on 360! I am willing to try Gold but I never have just FYI. Also plat is my #1 fear.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Trykt posted:

Or try this: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/Quarian/PAPLR/KishockHarpoon10AR5AQ5/////

Charge, Cloak, Sabotage, Shoot (aim for the head), Repeat.

My first 200k+ score came from this build :)

Seconding this post (and build) - makes the Kishock really good. It may not be the most pro minmax elite gun, but you're firing lengths of red-hot rebar into a banshee's skull. Much like the Graal, it's just satisfying.

Garrus on a skateboard had better win this. For Best of the Best, of course.

e: also joined the Nomad crew last night :getin:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 15, 2013

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Hurricane IV. :getin:

I knew one gold match would do it, ditto with using a character with Dark Channel, it just rips right through banshees.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding. I unlocked a huntress yesterday, took it out for a spin and also only needed 1 gold round.

Pubbies are still hilarious though, for some reason I got 2 kick votes for running a huntress with a wraith and no consumables, so I put a few random ones on and took them off right before the countdown finished. The consumable commandos wasted all their missiles and medigel before wave 7 and I didn't bother reviving any of them afterwards. It was petty and vindictive and I don't regret it.

e: I'm not sure why I call them pubbies, I play random pubs.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 15, 2013

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

The Striker is a hilarious gun.

Has anyone had a bug where you get revived and you can't do anything except roll and shoot, but enemies don't pay direct attention to you for some reason? It happened on my Vanguard last night and I pretty much got to watch helplessly as everyone died around me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lynx posted:

The title you get is Heartbreaker, too. Never changing banners again.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Pubbies are still hilarious though, for some reason I got 2 kick votes for running a huntress with a wraith and no consumables, so I put a few random ones on and took them off right before the countdown finished. The consumable commandos wasted all their missiles and medigel before wave 7 and I didn't bother reviving any of them afterwards. It was petty and vindictive and I don't regret it.

I should probably just join the metatag but goddamn this is why I don't play Gold with randoms. Did a round earlier today to get the Banshee killing stuff out of the way. SalInf with a Black Widow IV (woop) and I doubled the nearest teammate's score by the beginning of wave 10. Didn't end up finishing the objective because two people ran right into a huge crowd and got stomped because they refused to medigel at the beginning of the round. Myself and a Ghost got it about 90% before I got magnet handed trying to kite the enemies around the map. He then got himself stuck in a corner while 2 Brutes and 2 Banshees screamed and smashed the poo poo out of him. He tried to pick himself up twice but was literally being body blocked in by every active enemy. I assume he was out of missiles at this point but I really don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Burning Mustache posted:

Valkyrie V :suicide:

Well, maybe the gun becomes semi-useful at X ...

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA .... nope :smith:

It's fine at level V. If you want to actually hit anything with it you should use it with a class that boosts accuracy, because otherwise the 2nd shot in the burst always goes wide.

Contrary to what the thread will tell you, most guns are actually pretty decent on Gold difficulty. Platinum is stupid as poo poo, and so are people who use "it's awesome without any equipment on" as a metric.

• Locked thread