Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

SpazRobot posted:

You'll get even more spam that way. Once the spams for "akjsdhdklashj@yourdomain.com" start rolling in you'll probably want to set up a whitelist :)

Even worse than this is when a spammer realizes that you have your account set up this way, and starts using your domain as the forged From header so that bounce messages are actually accepted and the spammed mailserver thinks it is actually from you. Even properly setting up DKIM/SPF/DMARC isn't particularly effective and doesn't deter the spammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Stealthgerbil posted:

Is anyone familiar with Cpanel or plesk? I am looking for something that would allow my friends to set up websites without having to bother me and am wondering which is better?

I'm not familiar with Plesk, but cPanel is pretty simple, and has videos for a lot of common tasks.

You can check it out for yourself, they have a demo page. http://cpanel.net/demo/

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Comradephate posted:

I'm not familiar with Plesk, but cPanel is pretty simple, and has videos for a lot of common tasks.

You can check it out for yourself, they have a demo page. http://cpanel.net/demo/

Plesk has a better track record for security. However if you want more flexibility as well as a UI you can try out virtualmin/webmin, it's free and I'd suggest it over the paid alternatives unless you have a very specific reason for going with either cpanel or plesk.

tj9991
Jun 1, 2005
Skript Kiddie
After five months of hosting with Apis Networks I have cancelled and moved to Linode. I do not recommend Apis Networks for anyone planning on using PHP.

I experienced issues getting PHP to report errors rather than serve a blank page. Referencing multiple PHP and .htaccess methods of turning on this feature, I never fully resolved the issue. The tech support I received was mediocre. Following their instructions exactly did not solve the issue.

Frustrated, I looked for a new host. I have known of Linode for some time, but the prices were too steep for small projects. Deciding to give it a try, I set up a node with Nginx, PHP FastCGI and MySQL. Having root access is a breath of fresh air after using shared hosts for years. I doubt I will be leaving Linode any time soon, unless a competitor can provide better specs for the price.

Side note: pages are loading 5-10x faster on Linode than on Apis Networks. The Linode data center in CA may be much closer than Apis Networks (I reside in WA) but I doubt it would make such an impact.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
There are plenty of VPS providers that will provide better specs for the price - ramnode, digitalocean, serveraxis are a few that comes to mind. I think DO has a coupon floating around that will give you $20 credit, which is enough for 4 months of hosting on a 512mb/SSD VPS.

I am going to stick with Linode because they're proven, and aside from that bitcoin thing, have a pretty good track record. The way backup works is handy as well.

If stability is not critical to you, then you can have a look at serverbear, which lists the various vps options along with benchmarks.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

tj9991 posted:

After five months of hosting with Apis Networks I have cancelled and moved to Linode. I do not recommend Apis Networks for anyone planning on using PHP.

I experienced issues getting PHP to report errors rather than serve a blank page. Referencing multiple PHP and .htaccess methods of turning on this feature, I never fully resolved the issue. The tech support I received was mediocre. Following their instructions exactly did not solve the issue.

Frustrated, I looked for a new host. I have known of Linode for some time, but the prices were too steep for small projects. Deciding to give it a try, I set up a node with Nginx, PHP FastCGI and MySQL. Having root access is a breath of fresh air after using shared hosts for years. I doubt I will be leaving Linode any time soon, unless a competitor can provide better specs for the price.

Side note: pages are loading 5-10x faster on Linode than on Apis Networks. The Linode data center in CA may be much closer than Apis Networks (I reside in WA) but I doubt it would make such an impact.

I handled your issue. The problem was two-fold, first you designated a separate file to log errors outside the default, which merges Apache and PHP errors into /var/log/httpd/error_log. Ownership of the log file precluded the HTTP server from logging errors. Permissions still was not changed when I examined your setup further. Second, the error reporting level configured via .htaccess was downgraded, which excluded E_WARNING and E_NOTICE types (9999 or so if memory serves me correct). Only fatal errors would have been logged even if permissions were corrected. PHP documentation recommends using 2147483647 as your error_level in a .htaccess directive.

Odd you had such a speed discrepancy. If you still want to troubleshoot speed issues, send me a PM or e-mail with your IP and traceroute to 64.22.68.16, which is based in Atlanta. It may be a gross exaggeration as server loads are minor, around 0.25-0.5 on Helios around the clock.

edit: E_NOTICE/E_WARNING

nem fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 21, 2013

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

rawrr posted:

There are plenty of VPS providers that will provide better specs for the price - ramnode, digitalocean, serveraxis are a few that comes to mind. I think DO has a coupon floating around that will give you $20 credit, which is enough for 4 months of hosting on a 512mb/SSD VPS.

I am going to stick with Linode because they're proven, and aside from that bitcoin thing, have a pretty good track record. The way backup works is handy as well.

If stability is not critical to you, then you can have a look at serverbear, which lists the various vps options along with benchmarks.

Don't forget betaForce (which is in the OP now). We offer permanent 20% discounts to Goons and according to some testimonies we have bested Linode in performance.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

However if you want more flexibility as well as a UI you can try out virtualmin/webmin, it's free and I'd suggest it over the paid alternatives unless you have a very specific reason for going with either cpanel or plesk.

I actually went with virtualmin and its been working great. I got a WHMCS license and it seems like I may actually be able to make some extra money rehosting my vps. I still have plenty of cpu power after setting up my websites and minecraft server so if I can pay for the VPS it would be perfect :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This probably isn't the right thread but I can't find a better one so I'll try here.

I'm trying to migrate my web server from IIS 7.5 (on Server 2008 r2) to IIS 8.0 (on Server 2012) using the Microsoft Web Deploy extension thing. It makes the zip and that seems fine, but when I try to import it I get this error:
ERROR_FRAMEWORK_VERSIONS_DO_NOT_MATCH.
The specific text is:

quote:

The versions of the .NET Framework Configuration Provider (machineConfig64) are different on the source (2.0) and destination (4.0).
Both servers have .NET 4.0 and .NET 2.0 installed and showing up in IIS. None of my app pools use 2.0.

Looking at the deploy package contents, there are four properties that are coming out with a value of 2.0:
.NET 32-bit root Web configuration
.NET 32-bit machine configuration
.NET 64-bit root Web configuration
.NET 64-bit machine configuration

I vaguely understand what these represent but I can't work out where to change them to 4.0 instead of 2.0.

I tried disabling the "Framework Mismatch" rule during the import but the same error still appears.

Or is there an easy way to move my site without Web Deploy maybe? It's nothing complicated, just some forum installs. I don't even use ASP.NET at all, everything is PHP.

If anyone has ideas I would be extremely appreciative, I've been bashing my head against this for hours and getting nowhere. Thanks!

JZA-Jenius
Apr 25, 2007
Drops Megaton Bombs More Faster Than You Blink
I apologize in advance for this possibly dumb question, but I'm just starting to learn about all this stuff.

Right now, I've got my personal site/CV/portfolio thing hosted on my school's server space, but I think I'm going to subscribe to Lithium to move my stuff off the school server. The $10 plan looks like it will work for me, since I doubt many people will be visiting my site.

My question is about Domain stuff...

I noticed that a few of you suggested using a separate domain registrars and hosting services. Why is that? Also, is there an advantage to paying ~$15/year for a domain with Gandi.net instead of paying ~$9/year with Internetbs.com. I saw that DarkLotus said that Lithium gives you ownership over your domain name. Is that the same thing as buying from Gandi/Internetbs/etc.?

Sorry again for the dumb question. I'm just trying to figure this stuff out.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It doesn't really matter where you register your domain from, they all function exactly the same. However, some will include value added services such as making your name and address details private, since they are otherwise publicly available.

It's just good practice to register your domain elsewhere, so that if your web host ever disappears or becomes sketchy, you still have control over it and can point it elsewhere. You technically should have ownership over your domain even if your host registers it for you, it's just that some are sketchy about it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I'm trying to implement DMARC on one of my domains. I'm running into problems but I'm not sure why.

When you send someone money, paypal email the recipient apparently "from" your address:

pre:
To: fred smith <fredsmith@hotmail.com>
Sender: sendmail@paypal.com
Subject: You've got funds.
Received: from mx0.phx.paypal.com (mx1.slc.paypal.com [173.0.84.226])
paypal.com publish an SPF record which says 173.0.84.226 is allowed to send their email.

I sent a hotmail user money using paypal yesterday.

I've just had a DMARC report from hotmail which says the paypal message was quarantined because it failed DMARC:

pre:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<feedback>
    <report_metadata>
        <org_name>Microsoft Corp.</org_name>
        <email>dmarcrep@microsoft.com</email>
        <report_id>852d8509aab349bebb39358087f414ef@hotmail.com</report_id>
        <date_range>
            <begin>1361538000</begin>
            <end>1361624400</end>
        </date_range>
    </report_metadata>
    <policy_published>
        <domain>milkiegalore.com</domain>
        <adkim>r</adkim>
        <aspf>r</aspf>
        <p>quarantine</p>
        <sp>quarantine</sp>
        <pct>100</pct>
    </policy_published>
    <record>
        <row>
            <source_ip>173.0.84.226</source_ip>
            <count>1</count>
            <policy_evaluated>
                <disposition>quarantine</disposition>
                <dkim>fail</dkim>
                <spf>fail</spf>
            </policy_evaluated>
        </row>
        <identifiers>
            <header_from>milkiegalore.com</header_from>
        </identifiers>
        <auth_results>
            <spf>
                <domain>paypal.com</domain>
                <result>pass</result>
            </spf>
        </auth_results>
    </record>
</feedback>
It seems to suggest the SPF record for paypal.com passed, but that it was interpreted as a FAIL for the purposes of DMARC, and the message was quarantined.

Is this happening because of SPF alignment? (i.e. because the SPF domain doesn't match the MAIL FROM domain?)

Can anything be done about it?

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.
I've got a business website that's been on shared hosting for a several years and that's working out fine at the moment, but as the inventory shifts more and more from tangible stuff to digital content, I think I'm going to need something else eventually.

I was looking at VPSes, but before I jump in for real, I was wondering if anywhere offers a cheap "toy" VPS that I could play around with and figure out how it works. I've had websites since the mid '90s, but never anything that wasn't fully managed by the host and all I had to do was FTP files to it.

Also, are there any good tutorials or other documentation that explain... whatever it is I need to know? Like, from the ground up -- assume I know nothing at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Qotile Swirl posted:

I've got a business website that's been on shared hosting for a several years and that's working out fine at the moment, but as the inventory shifts more and more from tangible stuff to digital content, I think I'm going to need something else eventually.

I was looking at VPSes, but before I jump in for real, I was wondering if anywhere offers a cheap "toy" VPS that I could play around with and figure out how it works. I've had websites since the mid '90s, but never anything that wasn't fully managed by the host and all I had to do was FTP files to it.

Also, are there any good tutorials or other documentation that explain... whatever it is I need to know? Like, from the ground up -- assume I know nothing at all.

You can get one for literally 2 or 3 dollars if you watch LowEndBox.com, there was a DigitalOcean coupon where you basically get 3 or 4 months service free.

If you want tutorials, any basic Linux tutorials will do, but check out the Linode Library - http://library.linode.com

It's generic enough help that you can use on any server, virtual or not.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I want a VPS to toy around with, but how are they for also actually hosting a webpage. It's just going to be a small personal site, with low traffic, but is it enough of a pain that I should also get cheap shared hosting for my site. I don't want to have to spend a ton of maintenance time just to keep the personal site up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mmm11105 posted:

I want a VPS to toy around with, but how are they for also actually hosting a webpage. It's just going to be a small personal site, with low traffic, but is it enough of a pain that I should also get cheap shared hosting for my site. I don't want to have to spend a ton of maintenance time just to keep the personal site up.

So much better than shared hosting.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

So much better than shared hosting.

OK. How much ram should I be looking at to host a simple (html, possibly a light php framework) site, plus maybe some git and some overhead to toy around with?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

mmm11105 posted:

OK. How much ram should I be looking at to host a simple (html, possibly a light php framework) site, plus maybe some git and some overhead to toy around with?

Even the smaller 512MB hosts will be fine. I host a few PHP sites (and BIND, and postfix, and Murmur, etc) all on a single 512MB RAM Linode.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

madsushi posted:

Even the smaller 512MB hosts will be fine. I host a few PHP sites (and BIND, and postfix, and Murmur, etc) all on a single 512MB RAM Linode.

Cool, someone mentioned that lowendbox.com above, and some of those prices seem amazing. Anyone have a VPS with one of these? Any good?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

Cool, someone mentioned that lowendbox.com above, and some of those prices seem amazing. Anyone have a VPS with one of these? Any good?

I wouldn't get something advertised on LEB unless it's just to gently caress around with.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

LEB is full of fly-by-night shysters, stick to the big names

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Milkie Galore posted:

LEB is full of fly-by-night shysters, stick to the big names

I'd love to go to linode, but as a poor student, I can't do $20 a month. I'd have to keep it at $10 or less, are there any options in that price range, or should I just go with shared?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

intovps, prgmr

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
buyvm.net is my new favorite thing.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Comatoast posted:

buyvm.net is my new favorite thing.

I've got like 4 with them, Only had downtime when they moved their San Jose VMs to Las Vegas, then again when LV had a power outage (they gave me SLA credit for the whole month, though total downtime was maybe a day). 0 problems with their Buffalo location.

Read the reviews on lowendbox before going with any provider there, a few of the companies are pretty established and reliable though.

edit: one of my VPSs with them is 256mb RAM/250GB HD/2.5TBper month KVM for $7 a month, good deal for that much storage

madsushi posted:

$5/month - Digital Ocean.

Reviews for them have gotten worse on LowEndTalk recently

text editor fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 5, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

mmm11105 posted:

I'd love to go to linode, but as a poor student, I can't do $20 a month. I'd have to keep it at $10 or less, are there any options in that price range, or should I just go with shared?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

text editor posted:

Reviews for them have gotten worse on LowEndTalk recently

Got mine 2 months ago - basically for a shell to run an IRC client. Have had to reconnect to IRC only once or twice. With other value providers I would get disconnected multiple times a day and lose access to my VPS for minutes at a time.

tj9991
Jun 1, 2005
Skript Kiddie

madsushi posted:

Seconding that. I switched from Linodes $20 plan to DO's $20 plan. The extra resources make a huge difference for my uses of the server. I believe DO's speeds aren't quite as fast as Linode's but I could be wrong.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

mmm11105 posted:

I am waiting for a chunkhost - they offer a free option, although you have to wait a while.

In the meanwhile, I grabbed the Digital Ocean coupon and am doing my own VPS. So far, it's a good experience. Pretty simple to fine tune what you want - lots of tutorials if you think you are screwing something up. Go for it.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Throwing it out there again - betaForce (VPS hosting) is goon run, our goon clients say they enjoy the performance better than Linode, plus we have web-anything-specialists on staff. Oh and 20% off permanently for goons.

We're in the OP and here's our SA mart thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Look at the testimonials and give us a shot. We offer a risk free trial as well.

As for low end box, yeah. We advertised our ultra budget boxes on there and got featured on the front page. We were flooded with so many scammers from China and Brazil trying to sign up. I think we got 1 legit client from it. Total waste of effort.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

theBeaz posted:

Throwing it out there again - betaForce (VPS hosting) is goon run, our goon clients say they enjoy the performance better than Linode, plus we have web-anything-specialists on staff. Oh and 20% off permanently for goons.

We're in the OP and here's our SA mart thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508988

Look at the testimonials and give us a shot. We offer a risk free trial as well.

As for low end box, yeah. We advertised our ultra budget boxes on there and got featured on the front page. We were flooded with so many scammers from China and Brazil trying to sign up. I think we got 1 legit client from it. Total waste of effort.

I know you have good intentions, but please refrain from advertising in this forum. It's really not the place, that's why we have SA-Mart. Can you imagine if all of the shared hosting goons starting making GBS threads up this thread every time someone asked about shared hosting vs vps hosting?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Sorry, I didn't until I saw Apis reply to a concern about their service and thought it might be fair game. I'll refrain from doing it again!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I got a box from buyVM and its pretty good. I am paying $25 a month for 4 cores and 2gb of ram and it seems fine. Thinking of selling shared webhosting from it because I am barely utilizing the system. Maybe I should just let people sign up for free to gain some experience with this stuff.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Linode made a huge announcement today. They're making some absolutely insane upgrades right now. Apparently, they're gonna be posting a series of blog posts over the next few days describing the upgrades. http://blog.linode.com/2013/03/07/linode-nextgen-the-network/ is today's. Highlights:

• Across the board 10-fold bandwidth cap increases. I have a Linode 512 with 200gb of bandwidth. I now have 2tb of bandwidth.
  • Everyone gets a 5x increase in outbound speed. Speeds increased from 50Mbit/s to 250Mbit/s.

They're rolling out more updates over the next few days, so I'm excited to see what they offer. Gotta love Linode!

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Fangs404 posted:

Linode made a huge announcement today. They're making some absolutely insane upgrades right now. Apparently, they're gonna be posting a series of blog posts over the next few days describing the upgrades. http://blog.linode.com/2013/03/07/linode-nextgen-the-network/ is today's. Highlights:

• Across the board 10-fold bandwidth cap increases. I have a Linode 512 with 200gb of bandwidth. I now have 2tb of bandwidth.
  • Everyone gets a 5x increase in outbound speed. Speeds increased from 50Mbit/s to 250Mbit/s.

They're rolling out more updates over the next few days, so I'm excited to see what they offer. Gotta love Linode!

Good news, and I'm happy to pay a bit more for a VPS I can trust. I just wish linode came with more ram..1GB for $40 can get tight.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

take boat posted:

Good news, and I'm happy to pay a bit more for a VPS I can trust. I just wish linode came with more ram..1GB for $40 can get tight.

Since they're saving their bigger announcements for the next two posts, RAM and/or CPU could very well be coming up.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

madsushi posted:

Since they're saving their bigger announcements for the next two posts, RAM and/or CPU could very well be coming up.

Yeah, I don't wanna jinx it, but I'm really hoping this is it too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Spin up another cloud server"

Rackspace's tools are just so god-awful. I can't even find 2 of the 3 servers we have.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
Just spun up my first Digital Ocean vm for a new project ~fingers crossed~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Fangs404 posted:

Linode made a huge announcement today. They're making some absolutely insane upgrades right now. Apparently, they're gonna be posting a series of blog posts over the next few days describing the upgrades. http://blog.linode.com/2013/03/07/linode-nextgen-the-network/ is today's.

This makes me very happy. I've switched to BuyVM for the increased transfer but their performance wasn't the same as Linode's. Now I can go back and happily sign up again.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 19, 2013