Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hello good GWS'ers,
We know that people are waiting in line to fellate you due to the quality of your Cincinatti chili with beans...

This is where you tell us about that!

We also know that you photograph your food creations just about as much as you do your pets - this is a thread for that! (Food - pets are purely optional, and not at all encouraged, unless they're an ingredient - then knock yourself out).

This thread is where you tell people, what you made for dinner last night, what you cooked for breakfast or how beautifully you packed a brown bag for school lunch, and by all means solicit advice, or hand over recipes to your admirers.

What kind of post are we looking for here?
*Pictures are a plus, but not a must, however, do not expect people to think that you're awesome without the picture
*Quick and dirty with crappy cell phone pictures are ok
*Nicely lit pictures is ok too
*Do not declare that your camera cannot 'capture red' when posting steak pictures
*Be ready to answer questions - because people will want to copy you
*Newbies are most welcome, however you should be prepared to get friendly advice, sometimes not in a friendly tone of voice, but just remember that the people means well, and are not always able to use their inside voice before putting fingers to the keyboard, if you take offense to this, it is you who are in the wrong.

The old thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437879

If your pictures suck, and you actually made an effort...
http://goonswithspoons.com/Photography

Edit: Also - the title of this thread is sponsored by Mrs. Hat

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

A simple cheeseburger with red onions and pickles. I eat a lot of burgers, sometimes the simpler, the better.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Valentine dinner for the wife.

Brown sugar cured duck breast with Cointreau infused cranberry wild rice and butternut squash sauteed in butter and honey. The sauce is a blackberry gastrique.

e: she did not appreciate my plating, she just wanted the goddamn food. :chef:

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 15, 2013

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
For Valentine's Day I made Chicken Marsala:

And my valentine made Strawberry Rhubarb pie:

The chicken marsala was a goon recipe and came out incredibly. My only innovation was to add a dash of corn starch to thicken the sauce.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Valentine's Day Dinner
(Please excuse the interspersed smudgy camera-phone photos. I was busy cooking. :) )

AMUSE

Pacific Oysters
House-made horseradish sauce

STARTER

Prosciutto-wrapped Grilled Endive
Mâche rosettes, bleu cheese, 18 year balsamic

SECOND COURSE

Smoked Salmon Tartare
Crème fraîche, capers, parmesan tuile

THIRD COURSE

Prosciutto Skewers
La Quercia Prosciutto Americano
12 month aged manchego, toasted walnuts

FOURTH COURSE

Diver Scallops
Prosciutto Americano chip, cremini mushroom sauce
white cheddar + truffle cauliflower mash

DESSERT

Pot de Crème au Chocolat

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey, new photos for the new thread.

I didn't make it, but the neighbor girl dropped off some homemade pączki with plum filling. :3: So yummy.

However I did make cracklin cornbread with a drizzle of rye honey.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Okay going after Casu Marzu is pretty intimidating, but this was Valentine's Lunch. Just a pretty simple two courses. We made the pasta together. Boyfriend almost never cooks but he really likes making homemade pasta with me so it was a fun thing to do for Valentines.

The appetizer course was a play on breakfast. Instead of bacon, eggs and pancakes it was pork belly topped with some sea salt with a maple-dijon mustard type dipping sauce, served over a masa cake and a sunnyside up egg. I'd never worked with belly before really! There's things I would change for next time but in general it was delicious.

Then lunch was a simple homemade pasta with some olive oil, pancetta, curly parsley and parmesan/romano cheeses. I got to shred my own peccorino romano off a block but the block of parmesan was too expensive at the store. :(

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

That looks great!

Dunno if it is me, but I usually buy 5 pounds of parmigiano and about the same of pecorino at the same time, and recently the pecorino seems to disappear quicker...

The pecorino is great on pizzas, where I find the parmigiano kinda lacking..

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Valentine dinner for the wife.

Brown sugar cured duck breast with Cointreau infused cranberry wild rice and butternut squash sauteed in butter and honey. The sauce is a blackberry gastrique.

e: she did not appreciate my plating, she just wanted the goddamn food. :chef:

I approve of your Valentine's Day menu choices.

Sous vide duck breast with blackberry wine sauce, potatoes Anna, and roasted asparagus.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Inescape, your dishes look really nice!

I am really liking that salmon tartare. Lots of good posts for the first page of the new thread

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Lunch

Pepper crusted tuna (not mine - but it was really good)

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
I attempted salmon nigiri

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Very well done. I've made vegetable rolls before but never any fish. Place by me has "sushi grade fish" I should try one day.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Akito12345 posted:

I attempted salmon nigiri

Woah those are gorgeous :swoon:

What kind of knife skill does that require?

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
Not as much knife skill as you'd think. You just need a very sharp knife and to only slice it in one direction. If you saw the fish it kind of falls apart...No Bueno. Also wiping your knife clean after each cut helps.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
That looks boss.

I really should do some research on sushi grade fish in North Jersey. I'm sure best bet is probaby NYC, maybe Fort Lee.

e: I'm gonna post my sushi questions in the general thread

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 15, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That looks boss.

I really should do some research on sushi grade fish in North Jersey. I'm sure best bet is probaby NYC, maybe Fort Lee.

By "sushi grade" do you mean "frozen" ?

Because sushi grade had no real meaning and the only way to kill parasites properly is to cook or freeze.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That looks boss.

"sushi grade fish" is a term that doesn't really mean anything. there's no grading system that uses this term. any caught-frozen fish would be sufficient.

e: ^^ copycat

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 15, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I find that two things define the quality of the salmon when picking it for sushi..

Freshness (smell, and look at eyes) and the look of the tail to see if it was caught wild or farmed (if in doubt, buy Alaskan).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Apple/cranberry sour cream muffins.

Fried egg, black beans and rice, and cheese on pumpernickel.

Tempeh and mushroom stew with cornmeal dumplings, ready for the road.

A non-photogenic apple pancake with apple/cranberry jam.

Spinach/potato/tomato/black eyed pea curry.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Valentine's Day Dinner:

sous vide lobster tail with buerre blanc, roasted fennel, and chanterelles
beef heart tartare (hard to see in the top-right corner) (great, easy recipe - although we skipped the fresh tomatoes in favor of sun-dried - http://www.thedailymeal.com/chris-cosentinos-beef-heart-tartare-puttanesca-style)
72 hour short ribs with a sunchoke/horseradish puree, port reduction, and some roasted potatoes
Pot de creme for desert

Photo-montage courtesy of the girlfriend.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Spinach/potato/tomato/black eyed pea curry.

Recipe? This looks wonderful.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

rj54x posted:

Recipe? This looks wonderful.

Figures that someone would be interested in the one I cheated on a bit and also made up as I went along.

We've had some "Sri Lankan curry powder" (bought at a heritage festival) for ages and I want to get rid of it, so I tossed potatoes in that and olive oil and roasted them until crispy. Sauteed an onion with more potatoes, added ginger, lemongrass, and a chile, cooked awhile, added tomatoes (5 or so medium ones), cooked awhile longer, then stirred in spinach and previously cooked BEPs, cooked until spinach was wilted, added in roasted potatoes, a bit of lemon juice, and more spices.

So basically "cook a bunch of things with the spices you want."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Took a grilled cheese sandwich, pried it open, put stuff in. Please ignore my grotty keyb.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So basically "cook a bunch of things with the spices you want."

The foundation of all realistic cooks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I approve of your Valentine's Day menu choices.

Sous vide duck breast with blackberry wine sauce, potatoes Anna, and roasted asparagus.

I'm so jealous, roasted asparagus was part of my planned menu, but after blowing so much money on steaks and scallops I couldn't justify $8 a bundle.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Don't fret, its sort of a classic but I tend to shy away from asparagus on date night anyways

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Don't fret, its sort of a classic but I tend to shy away from asparagus on date night anyways

How considerate... It negatively affects taste I am told.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Shredded beef tacos, jalapeno pepperjack cheese, homemade pico de gallo and hand made whole wheat tortillas! Also a side of spicy black beans.

I had never made tortillas before, but these are so much better than store bought. :chef:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Against all odds, I managed to cook up some blackened snapper with red beans and rice for my family. The fish turned out really well, but I think everyone would have been happy to just chow down on the beans.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

'Murica!

Not photographed:
Greens, pulled pork sandwiches, other stuff..

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
picadillo

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

In lieu of having a real bbq, I made broiler teriyaki :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love your platter. I need to find a second one.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Terrible cell phone picture, but heavenly burger. My wife was craving potato chips tonight, I was craving burgers. Nice 80/20 ground with bacon, shredded melted cheddar, purple onions and topped with baked potato chips.

EDIT: I cringe in shame of the Italian Dressing in the background. It's, um, ok and it gets my 10 year old to eat salad rather than pick at it.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 18, 2013

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

squirrelzipper posted:

EDIT: I cringe in shame of the Italian Dressing in the background. It's, um, ok and it gets my 10 year old to eat salad rather than pick at it.

Lately, my theory with salads is that, if you have to add a greasy gooey dressing to make it edible, you need to add MORE STUFF instead. Thin sliced carrots or radishes? Onions? Croutons? Avocado? (<3) Whatever it takes, you should be pleased by a relatively random forkful that has anything other than lettuce in it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

squirrelzipper posted:

A recommendation could be getting some of the good balsamico and good olive oil, and blow your mind on the clarity and crispness of the veges after just a few drops.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
I roasted a chicken

some beets, potatoes, parsnips and carrots

finally I made a parsnip cake and some star anise ice cream (I was too impatient to let it set completely..)

Good lunch for a monday.

Aumuller fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 18, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made ravioli for the first time ever!

Whole wheat ravioli with a spinach and garlic filling. Very good! Now I see why people have pasta rollers. I rolled it as thing as I possibly could and it was still thicker than I'm used to. They probably would have been more tender if they weren't 100% whole wheat, but hey I like them and will eat them The sauce was my standard red meat sauce. :)

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Empty the fridge stir fried noodles with a chili/coconut/peanut butter sauce.

Coconut sticky rice with a super ripe mango.

• Locked thread