Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flython
Oct 21, 2010

What other Bowie movies would you recommend? From what I remember the only other thing I've seen him in is Zoolander.

Teetotaler here just chiming in to say I've really been enjoying the podcast and I look forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Flython posted:

What other Bowie movies would you recommend?
There's not enough Bowie movies. :( I'm pretty sure I've only seen him in Labyrinth and Zoolander. I tried to watch The Man Who Fell to Earth, but it was extremely slow-paced, so I ended up giving up on it. I've heard good things about The Hunger, though.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

VoidBurger posted:

There's not enough Bowie movies. :(

That's a real shame. Here's hoping we eventually get a Venture Brothers movie they can review.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

VoidBurger posted:

There's not enough Bowie movies. :( I'm pretty sure I've only seen him in Labyrinth and Zoolander. I tried to watch The Man Who Fell to Earth, but it was extremely slow-paced, so I ended up giving up on it. I've heard good things about The Hunger, though.

If you haven't heard our Prestige episode yet, half the reason we did it was because we love Bowie as Tesla. I don't remember if we did Bowie voices for it, though. I do want to do Man Who Fell to Earth or Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence for the cast sometime soon.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Hewlett posted:

If you haven't heard our Prestige episode yet, half the reason we did it was because we love Bowie as Tesla. I don't remember if we did Bowie voices for it, though. I do want to do Man Who Fell to Earth or Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence for the cast sometime soon.
Oh dang, I forgot he was in Prestige! Probably because I haven't seen Prestige! He was also in Fire Walk With Me, but the problems with that is (a) you apparently need to watch all of Twin Peaks before watching that and (b) I heard it was kinda lovely anyway.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

VoidBurger posted:

I know firsthand about that guest commentary thing - some folks don't translate to podcasts as well as they think they will, so that's pretty forgivable. And I understand that most of the silly remarks are meant to be silly, but perhaps it's just hard for me to hear certain ones that way... possibly because I feel like it's hard to make fun of Labyrinth for being frivolous because it seems to embrace that. For example: Making fun of 2012 is great because (I'm under the impression that) that movie played it pretty straight. But if someone were to critique, say, an older James Bond movie for not being realistic, that's crazy talk that's missing the point. Or getting caught up on nitpicky details when the bigger picture isn't affected at all by it. I dunno, I think it crossed the line a few times into that weird territory for me. But anyway, this might all be obvious stuff that you've tweaked since then and might not relevant anymore anyway~ :buddy:

Just got back to the thread after being out for a bit, and simply wanted to address the whole "you're missing the point by calling things unrealistic" (since I think you may be talking about our Diamonds Are Forever episode) thing: I wasn't under the impression that we were lambasting the movie because the things that were happening were unrealistic (I don't remember us ever saying "Well THAT wouldn't happen in real life". Rather, my big thing with the movie is that the tone just skewed too far into that realm of goofiness and aloofness that it just seemed desperate to me, and the campy comedy doesn't really work for me in that installment (for the record, I love some of the campiness of many of the Bond movies, especially the early Connery and early Moore films). Our other criticisms include Connery looking really tired and bored of the whole thing, the supporting cast not being particularly good (though we do actually think Tiffany Case is an interesting Bond girl), and the movie not making sufficiently good use of its Vegas location, which is often part of the appeal of Bond movies.

I fear(ed) you were making the assumption that we were actually making value judgments about these movies from a tactical realism point of view, instead of just cracking jokes. We know that those details don't matter; they're just things that pop in our heads and we say them. We know that it doesn't matter how the villain in Oldboy got rich, or why he didn't just say why he was upset to Dae-su, but in the moment it's fun to ask that question.

I know this is all probably redundant, and I don't want to seem like I'm harping, since you've been great; it's just that, thinking about it, I'm genuinely surprised that someone could get that impression about our reviews from the podcast, making me think we're not articulating ourselves as well as we should be.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 16, 2013

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The Man Who Fell to Earth is incredible, gently caress the haters.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Hewlett posted:

Good stuff

I haven't listened to Diamonds Are Forever yet, I just used Bond as an example of the top of my head. :) So I dunno how that episode went or not. (Actually, I'm not sure if I've seen that installment of Bond. I should fix that...)

It honestly might be a tone-of-voice thing I'm not picking up on or something. I don't know why I'm having a hard time discerning between dumb jokes and dumb complaints. I don't even have Aspergers to blame for this!! :spergin:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

VoidBurger posted:

I haven't listened to Diamonds Are Forever yet, I just used Bond as an example of the top of my head. :) So I dunno how that episode went or not. (Actually, I'm not sure if I've seen that installment of Bond. I should fix that...)

It honestly might be a tone-of-voice thing I'm not picking up on or something. I don't know why I'm having a hard time discerning between dumb jokes and dumb complaints. I don't even have Aspergers to blame for this!! :spergin:

I do admit we're very much on the dry side sometimes; however, I enjoy when Jared finishes up one of his Hard Science or Hard History segments with "but I may just be noticing this because of my crippling autism."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Your Dante's Peak episode makes me hope you guys do a Volcano episode at some point. Volcano makes no bones about the fact that it's a big dumb disaster movie, and while most of the action sequences are patently ridiculous (I imagine all the bad science would make Jared's head explode :psyboom:), it's a lot of fun in spite of itself.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hey everyone, we're going to have our Lincoln episode up tomorrow, but in the meantime I wanted to post our official Oscar pool guesses! We normally have these in the episode ourselves, but suffice to say, having listened to the actual recording of that section of the podcast, it's real boring to actually listen to, so I'm just writing it here and on the post itself:

Best Picture:
Jared: Lincoln
Clint: Life of Pi

Best Actor:
Jared: Daniel-Day Lewis, Lincoln
Clint: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actress:
Jared: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Clint: Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Supporting Actor:
Jared: Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
Clint: Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook

Best Supporting Actress:
Jared: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Clint: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Best Director:
Jared: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Clint: Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Best Original Screenplay:
Jared: Zero Dark Thirty
Clint: Moonrise Kingdom

Best Adapted Screenplay:
Clint: Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Animated Feature
Jared: Wreck-It Ralph
Clint: Paranorman

Best Foreign Language Film:
Jared: Amour
Clint: Amour

Best Cinematography:
Clint: Skyfall

Best Editing:
Clint: Argo

Best Production Design:
Clint: Anna Karenina

Best Costumes:
Clint: Les Miserables

Best Makeup:
Jared: Les Miserables
Clint: The Hobbit

Best Original Score
Jared: Thomas Newman, Skyfall
Clint: Mychael Danna, Life of Pi

Best Original Song
Jared: "Skyfall", Skyfall
Clint: "Skyfall", Skyfall

Best Sound Mixing:
Clint: Skyfall

Best Sound Editing:
Jared: Skyfall
Clint: Django Unchained

Best Visual Effects
Jared: The Avengers
Clint: Prometheus

Best Documentary:
Jared: How to Survive a Plague
Clint: Searching for Sugar Man

Best Short Doc:
Jared: "Open Heart"
Clint: "Inocente"

Best Short Film:
Jared: "Death of a Shadow"
Clint: "Buzkashi Boys"

Best Animated Short:
Jared: "Paperman"
Clint: "Paperman"

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 21, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

Since it's the Oscars next weekend, we decided to go drinkin' with Lincoln, our third Spielberg movie so far! I'd seen it before, but it was Jared's first time, and we both rather like the film; it's fairly no-frills, and feels like Spielberg at his more sedate. While the Tony Kushner script is a bit wonky at times, we loved DDL and the large ensemble cast, and we get pretty drunk while talking about just how mythic they make DDL's Lincoln. (Jared does get a bit far gone by the end, I will warn - these longer movies still get to us somewhat if we're not careful.) We do manage to work in a bit of history with Lincoln's cocktail, however, using Knob Creek with applejack to create something that's a bit like what Lincoln might have served in his brief stint as a tavern owner. I also figured out that my DDL-as-Lincoln is not too bad. :smug:

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 21, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODES! :siren:

Forum favorite General Ironicus joins us for O Brother, Where Art Thou?, a film he suggested to us quite a while back. It was a hell of a lot of fun, we get into plenty of great discussion, and Ironicus and I play one of the more entertaining quizzes we've had in quite awhile.

Also, since I skipped last week somehow, we follow up our Mary Poppins episode from last year with Bedknobs & Broomsticks, bringing our Disney princess Cherish along for the ride.

Enjoy!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
One thing I was sort of edging toward but didn't explicitly lay out, is Everett the villain? He's probably the most morally low character in the whole thing, and in order to make him look relatively good the other 'bad guys' turn out to be actual klansmen, pretty much the nuclear option in evil characterization for something set before WWII.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

One thing I was sort of edging toward but didn't explicitly lay out, is Everett the villain? He's probably the most morally low character in the whole thing, and in order to make him look relatively good the other 'bad guys' turn out to be actual klansmen, pretty much the nuclear option in evil characterization for something set before WWII.

I think there's certainly something there - one thing I never got around to talking about was the idea that Everett is always engaging in disguises and dissembling of some sort, whether it's lying to Delmar and Pete, lying to Stephen Root about the band, putting on the beard to be the Soggy Bottom Boys, etc. He is only concerned with the truth as far as getting his wife back is concerned, or when it otherwise benefits him. I don't think he's the villain, per se, but in that way the movie is once again like The Odyssey - Ulysses wasn't really a villain either, but he was certainly a trickster whose morality was extremely flexible. Both look like good guys, but only in comparison to the monsters/"ob-STA-cles" they contend with.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 7, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hewlett posted:

I do want to do Man Who Fell to Earth or Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence for the cast sometime soon.

Merry Christmas is a fantastic film. If I were more local to you guys I'd try and sneak into the recording for it.

I have grown to enjoy your podcast and I blame Grant for this.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, suffice to say I'm very grateful for Ironicus' modest e-celebrity right now, as our O Brother episode is by far our most popular we've had in awhile.

Been busy this weekend so I forgot to do this, but we have our St. Patrick's Day Special, where we lay into the 1999 Hallmark TV special The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns. Little can really be said about it, except it features Randy Quaid as a romantic lead, Whoopi Goldberg as a sassy banshee, Roger Daltrey hamming it up as a fairy king, and a whole cast of Irish/Scottish/British actors who clearly loathe every loving Irish stereotype they have to perpetuate. You see, leprechauns must always be drunk at all times, and are perpetually confrontational and prone to brawling! Isn't that hilarious?! :argh:

(NOTE: If you can't stand middling-to-poor Irish accents, feel free to skip the first ten minutes or so - Jared and I have an Irish-off where we see who can hold their Irish accent throughout the podcast the longest.)

Schedule Update:

3/21 - Fantasy Mission Force
3/28 - A Fistful of Dollars

4/4 - Jurassic Park
4/11 - Robot Jox
4/18 - The Third Man
4/25 - The Game

Mystery May (all films with the word 'mystery' in the title):

5/2 - Mystery Train
5/9 - Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame
5/16 - Mystery Men
5/23 - The Mystery of the Wax Museum
5/30 - Magical Mystery Tour

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Before you watch Fistful of Dollars one of you needs to watch Yojimbo, because the amount of influence it had on Fistful was pretty significant and might be worth commenting on.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TTBF posted:

Before you watch Fistful of Dollars one of you needs to watch Yojimbo, because the amount of influence it had on Fistful was pretty significant and might be worth commenting on.

I like the way you think - luckily I own it on BR. :thumbsup: Don't you worry, I'll have plenty to say on that - might even see if Jared wants to watch it beforehand as well, or if I want to just be the 'expert' on that aspect of the film.

On a different subject, how would everyone feel about us adding non-podcast reviews on the website? For example, Jared and I were thinking of breaking up the week surrounding the release of the podcast (which is usually on Thursday) with two types of articles - one day, I would review a new release, and another day Jared would do a writeup on an older movie or forgotten gem (usually on Netflix). We figured it would be a way to add more content while still keeping things relevant; the new releases thing is especially interesting, since our podcast usually just covers what we want/listener requests, making it slightly harder for new people to find us.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

So like I said last week, we decided to start doing new releases/forgotten gems blogs - I just started my segment Fresh Pour, where every Sunday I'll be talking about two new releases. It's pretty rough, especially since I tried to keep them short-ish, and it's been a long time since I've written reviews at this length; let me know what you think!

Tuesdays, Jared will be releasing his as-yet-unnamed forgotten gems segment, so look out for that.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Here's Jared's first column on forgotten gems, Rare & Vintage - here, he talks about The Prisoner of Shark Island, the 1930s John Ford film. I think it turned out pretty drat good, myself; really makes me feel like I need to step up my game with my reviews.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, we have one of our best episodes in awhile, as we take a close look at A Fistful of Dollars. Seriously, after the past couple of episodes, where we had to deal with bafflingly bad or opaque films, we are able to dig into quite a bit of content with this one - surprise, surprise, a good movie gives us a lot to talk about! It also helps that we had on one of our better guests, our good friend Todd, who's always good for discussion (and suffering through my obscure quiz questions). Take a listen!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Words can hurt man, words can hurt.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Words can hurt man, words can hurt.

Haha, don't take it too personally - I only mean our Fantasy Mission Force and Magical Legend of the Leprechaun episodes are ones I'm not super proud of, because they didn't give us too much to dig into. The O Brother one you did with us is tops. If anything, those two episodes (O Brother and Fistful) serve as more evidence that the show works best with a guest.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 29, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I'm just playing. And now that I've had time to listen I agree, this was a really great one.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I'm just playing. And now that I've had time to listen I agree, this was a really great one.

Btw, got your suggestion (I assume it was you), and between that and rewatching Ferris Bueller for the first time in more than a decade last night, I agree we need to get on some John Hughes.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah, I'm on a first name basis with the suggestion box. We're bros. And covering Ferris Bueller is another way to guarantee our mutual friend's attendance no matter when she starts working the next day.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Yeah, I'm on a first name basis with the suggestion box. We're bros. And covering Ferris Bueller is another way to guarantee our mutual friend's attendance no matter when she starts working the next day.

Magnificent!

EDIT: On an unrelated note, looking forward to seeing GI Joe Retaliation and The Host for my writeups this weekend.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 29, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Got my reviews of GI Joe Retaliation and The Host up if people want to take a look.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

gently caress you, we're doing Jurassic Park. Nuff said.

Next week, also gently caress you, we're talking about Robot Jox.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Well that has got to be the highest quiz score in Alcohollywood history. Now I'm even more hyped about seeing it in 3d this weekend.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

Well that has got to be the highest quiz score in Alcohollywood history. Now I'm even more hyped about seeing it in 3d this weekend.

Remember to drink for butts. (Also, make sure you're not drinking giardiniera juice; man, Jared's punishment shots PUNISH.)

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

You say this as if I'm not always looking at butts 24/7. My head always pointed down? That's not low self-esteem, that's a guy checking out butts.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Jurassic Park 3D is in the States now when I'm not and will be in Germany in September when I'm not. All I want is to see one of my favorite movies in theaters. :(

Great episode, though!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I have now listened to every episode. I don't know what your recording setup was for the first one but please never do whatever it was again.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I have now listened to every episode. I don't know what your recording setup was for the first one but please never do whatever it was again.

Hah, yeah, it was pretty shoddy. Basically, our guest Gavin always insisted on speaking as quietly as possible and sitting really far away from the mic. I also got better at encoding and ripping and whatnot; we've really come a long way from where we started. Suffice to say, your advice shall most definitely be heeded.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 10, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Listening to the JP episode now. Good lord if I did that drinking game I'd be a dead man.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'd love to hear you guys do an episode on The Lost World.

After going to see Jurassic Park over the weekend, it made me go back and watch the sequel for the first time in a decade, and my god is that movie just a clusterfuck. There are some great ideas in it, but it's clear neither Spielberg nor David Koepp really cared how best to fit them together. The setpiece where the two T-rexes send the trailer over the cliff is pretty spectacular, even if it is kind of a rehash of the same scene in the first film.

Maybe the most telling difference between Jurassic Park and The Lost World is that Jeff Goldblum seems to be playing two completely different characters, both just happen to be named Ian Malcolm.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

I'd love to hear you guys do an episode on The Lost World.

After going to see Jurassic Park over the weekend, it made me go back and watch the sequel for the first time in a decade, and my god is that movie just a clusterfuck. There are some great ideas in it, but it's clear neither Spielberg nor David Koepp really cared how best to fit them together. The setpiece where the two T-rexes send the trailer over the cliff is pretty spectacular, even if it is kind of a rehash of the same scene in the first film.

Maybe the most telling difference between Jurassic Park and The Lost World is that Jeff Goldblum seems to be playing two completely different characters, both just happen to be named Ian Malcolm.

Man, I haven't seen The Lost World in forever, but from what I remember it really was a clusterfuck; I'm sure we'd have a lot to say about Ian's adopted daughter who uses her ballet kung-fu to kill a dinosaur. I'm sure Jared's read the book too, so he'd be able to walk me through what remains from the first book/talk about how the second book actually goes (since they just ignored it for the film, despite the fact that they made Crichton write a sequel so they could make a second film).

It would almost be interesting to do a double feature of that and Jurassic Park III, Iron Man-style; the third one is just a weird animal to me. On the other hand, it has one of my favorite sort of dream supporting casts (William H. Macy! Tea Leoni! Michael Jeter!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
One problem I had with The Lost World was that it does a really half-rear end job of trying to address and extend the themes of the first film, when it's clear it doesn't have a whole lot to say. You can tell it wants to talk about preserving ecosystems and the damage done by corporations and all that stuff, but once Spielberg puts it out there, he kind of just gives up. The whole thing feels like a long string of excuses for him to put a T-Rex in San Diego so he can play around with King Kong for a bit.

The third one takes Jurassic Park back to B-movie territory, where the plot is very simple and not particularly ambitious, and I think it works more than it doesn't. It's certainly a less chaotic film than The Lost World.

• Locked thread