Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Im_Special posted:

Anyone got any advice for Orcs Must Die!? I just started playing it, and with the limited upgrade skulls you get I'm a little worried of upgrading the weaker traps that aren't all that useful for late game, so what's overpowered and worthy of skulls?

Don't worry about getting 5 stars on your first run through a level. You get new toys as the game goes on, and more skulls as you complete levels, which makes it easier to 5 star earlier levels. Also, the swinging mace + tar pit is a ridiculous combo that will kill 99% of all orcs walking through them, so find a choke point and exploit the poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Im_Special posted:

Anyone got any advice for Orcs Must Die!? I just started playing it, and with the limited upgrade skulls you get I'm a little worried of upgrading the weaker traps that aren't all that useful for late game, so what's overpowered and worthy of skulls?
To kind-of answer, the Swinging Mace is just about useless before you upgrade it, but one of the best traps after, assuming you build around it and use tarpits, chokepoints, and barricades like Pants suggested.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Gonna pick up Planescape: Torment for the first (second) time. The first time I played it for about an hour and got too busy. I know about the widescreen mod and everything, but the first time I played it, I learned later on that there's little things I missed in the first area, and that bugged me. It had something to do with not killing a guard and getting back a memory or something. Is getting all these memories important from a completionist standpoint, or are they things that won't really matter in the long run? Also tips and tricks for someone who has played a ton of Infinity Engine games besides this one would be awesome.

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 13, 2013

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

bvoid posted:

Is getting all these memories important from a completionist standpoint, or are they things that won't really matter in the long run? Also tips and tricks for someone who has played a ton of Infinity Engine games besides this one would be awesome.

There is a fair amount of missable content in this game depending on who you talk to and what your stats are. I played through it a few years ago but I am, apparently, amazingly bad at the combat in the game and used the Tome O' Cheats mod for it so I could breeze through the combat while still having all the dialogue options. Whether you use the cheat mod or not, I would recommend just not worrying too much about missing stuff and just explore as much as you feel like doing and then looking up more information after seeing how your story ends.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Im_Special posted:

Assuming you mean the first game:
Swinging mace, tar, walls, wallgrinders, archers.

You get enough skulls to upgrade everything though by 5starring normal and nightmare if you have the dlc maps.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bvoid posted:

Gonna pick up Planescape: Torment for the first (second) time. The first time I played it for about an hour and got too busy. I know about the widescreen mod and everything, but the first time I played it, I learned later on that there's little things I missed in the first area, and that bugged me. It had something to do with not killing a guard and getting back a memory or something. Is getting all these memories important from a completionist standpoint, or are they things that won't really matter in the long run? Also tips and tricks for someone who has played a ton of Infinity Engine games besides this one would be awesome.

Basically, stack Wisdom, and for most of the game if you die, just pick yourself up and carry on. You are immortal after all. Hell, you have to die to unlock some abilities.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thinking of picking up Dungeon Lords MMXII but I hear a great many mixed things about it or the original game, I can never tell what people are actually reviewing.

I'd mostly like someone who has actually played this version of the game to tell me whether or not it's a worthwhile game and what there is to know before going into it.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

bvoid posted:

Dialogue with both NPCs and companions is where the game shines, and you'll miss a lot of that on a low wisdom, low int character, since the good bits are usually behind stat checks for either of the two. Wisdom is also important in getting memories back, which is kinda, sorta the point of the main quest.

Incidently high wisdom, high int makes you perfect for a mage, which IMO is by far the most entertaining way to play in the late game (warrior and thief tend towards "stand still, hit stuff" gameplay that I find dull). Since mage requires more XP, head to the market (Ragpicker Square) as soon as you leave the Mortuary (it's to the right and up, if memory serves) and find a washing lady named Mebbeth. Do her quest line and she will train you as a mage. Don't switch back, and the XP in the game should be enough to get you the good stuff by the end. Otherwise there is a good farm spot (mid-to-late game spoiler) in Curst once the poo poo hits the fan. You'll know it when you see it. The waves of mobs respawn endlessly.

Other than that, just talk to all (named) people and explore around clicking on things. Remember to check your companions now and again, since they will unlock new conversations based on both your stats and the areas you are in. It takes a while for the game to give you your first point-of-no-return, so don't be afraid to go after the main quest initially rather than hunt for side quests.

Your alignment will shift based on your dialogue choices. Lying will make you more chaotic. Good/Evil is your standard Nice Guy/Angry Jerk scale.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 13, 2013

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have a few. I am starting Assassins Creed III soon and I have played all of the others multiple times, I love the series. Is there anything I should know, such as is there a big difference between this one and the other ones?

This post was three days ago so you may not be coming back, but just in case: If you're going for 100% sync, do not fully upgrade the ship before finishing the final boat mission! The final boat mission is designed in such a way that it is stupidly difficult to get 100% sync if you have certain upgrades. I can't remember if it's one upgrade or two that will screw you. Simply, don't buy anything that makes the ship's body stronger. Upgrades for speed/mobility and artillery are "safe."

As for differences, I'm not sure if this counts because I haven't played Bro/Rev (it may not be a new feature?): You can vault over small objects while running, which is helpful when chasings/being chased. On the PS3, hold O to vault.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lady blue shanghai posted:

This post was three days ago so you may not be coming back, but just in case: If you're going for 100% sync, do not fully upgrade the ship before finishing the final boat mission!

As a related-ish note, if you find yourself getting frustrated and not having fun with trying to get 100% sync because the optional objectives are ridiculous, it's completely ok to just not do them--that may sound snippy, but a lot of the complaints I hear about AC3 are about how bullshit the optional mission conditions are, and I'll agree, some of them are, but...you don't have to do them. The game's plenty enjoyable (I think) if you just ignore them completely. I don't think you really get much for doing them anyway, it's not worth ruining the game for yourself to obsess over them.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
I received Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as a gift this past Christmas. Is it much different from the first game? I was pretty disapointed by the first one. It seemed like 80% of my play time was spent just slogging through tiresome repetitive gun fights. I liked everything else in the game (the production values, platforming, vehicle segments, etc.) but the endless lovely gun fights just about ruined it for me. I've looked up reviews and everyone says the second game is better than the first. Is the gun fighting improved in the second game at all, or at least does it make up less of the gameplay? Would I enjoy the game if I got really tired of the gun fights but liked everything else in the first one?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Narmer posted:

I received Uncharted 2: Among Thieves as a gift this past Christmas. Is it much different from the first game? I was pretty disapointed by the first one. It seemed like 80% of my play time was spent just slogging through tiresome repetitive gun fights. I liked everything else in the game (the production values, platforming, vehicle segments, etc.) but the endless lovely gun fights just about ruined it for me. I've looked up reviews and everyone says the second game is better than the first. Is the gun fighting improved in the second game at all, or at least does it make up less of the gameplay? Would I enjoy the game if I got really tired of the gun fights but liked everything else in the first one?

The uncharted series is always 80% gunplay, 20% easy environmental puzzle or running away from something. That never changes but controls are significantly tighter, enemies are slightly less resilient, and you have an auto-kill melee move if you attack someone from behind. It's a better game in every way and if you were wowed by the production values in the first game the second one will knock your socks off.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

al-azad posted:

The uncharted series is always 80% gunplay, 20% easy environmental puzzle or running away from something. That never changes but controls are significantly tighter, enemies are slightly less resilient, and you have an auto-kill melee move if you attack someone from behind. It's a better game in every way and if you were wowed by the production values in the first game the second one will knock your socks off.

And the third one is almost as good or better than the 2nd one. Do you like Hollywood movies? If you do, please get Uncharted 3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I loved UC1 and 2 but absolutely hated 3. The chase scenes are stupid as hell, the animations look worse for some reason, the gun controls are floaty as hell unless you turn on a special option, the story is literally all over the place, and most of the characters are completely wasted. I also had problems with bugs that forced me to replay entire levels. Naughty Dog's B-team worked on UC3 and it shows in every aspect.

BisKuit
Oct 24, 2007

I'll find my ham...
I LOVE my ham...
I just got Dishonored from the PSN... Any tips ?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BisKuit posted:

I'm not too far in yet, but but...

In the first real mission, try not to melee the gang members because they breathe fire.

KO'd people can still get killed, so be careful even if you're not going for a pacifist run. Rat swarms, drowning, even sliding down some stairs can kill someone.

Abuse the poo poo out of Blink. It doesn't make noise so you can blink behind someone to do a stealth takedown.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BisKuit posted:

Save the pacifist run for your second playthrough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisKuit posted:

Max out Blink first. Whether you're killing everyone or stealthing through, it's invaluable.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BisKuit posted:

You can kill about a fifth of the enemies on a level and still get a low chaos rating, if that's how you want to play it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

You can kill about a fifth of the enemies on a level and still get a low chaos rating, if that's how you want to play it.

Would you say it's feasible then to do your best to get through levels quietly and nonlethally, with the occasional bloodbath when you fail and get caught, but still end the game with low chaos?

I killed everything in sight my first time through and got the bad ending and have been considering a second run, but...I really like killing when things go badly, it'd be nice to know that that option's still on the table if my best efforts at stealth and compassion fail. I'd hate to get all the way to the end and find myself getting the bad ending again, just because I sucked at stealth towards the end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ainsley McTree posted:

Would you say it's feasible then to do your best to get through levels quietly and nonlethally, with the occasional bloodbath when you fail and get caught, but still end the game with low chaos?

Absolutely 100%.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just bought the game "Dwarfs!" during this surprise Steam sale and I absolutely love it. I had no problem conquering easy/normal mode, but I can NOT get past the first few minutes of any of the harder difficulties. Does anyone have any tips on this game? Some strategy that I might be missing?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm installing Aquaria right now, anything I should know before diving (:haw:) in?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WarLocke posted:

I'm installing Aquaria right now, anything I should know before diving (:haw:) in?

The number keys are shortcuts for songs; using them instead of the right click thing will save you a lot of grief and time. I can't remember what button it is, but it might be spacebar for dashing/twirling, which is really important for combat.
The game is pretty non-linear, but some of the bosses are total fuckers and if you're having trouble with, say, the sun temple boss, just leave and come back when you have a bunch of ridiculous food in your inventory.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Deakul posted:

Thinking of picking up Dungeon Lords MMXII but I hear a great many mixed things about it or the original game, I can never tell what people are actually reviewing.

I'd mostly like someone who has actually played this version of the game to tell me whether or not it's a worthwhile game and what there is to know before going into it.

MMXII changes the character progression system in a way that completely breaks the game - personally I'd play an older version over MMXII. Dungeon Lords is a bad game, but weirdly enjoyable in a Two Worlds kind of way. If you can put up with A LOT of jank in your janky RPGs, it can be fun to play through the first few hours - especially if you can get a co-op buddy.

I would read this review and then go buy the Collector's Edition.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Just got Binary Domain. Heard good things.

What should I know?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CowboyKid posted:

What should I know?

Blowing robots to pieces gets you more credits than a mere kill. Just keep shooting as they fall to knock pieces off. It'll also give you a Trust bonus to your active squadmates. Oh and keep rotating them around - the squad trust meters affect the ending somewhat.

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
I just got Galactic Civilization II, I got a few of the basics down but anything special I should know?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

CowboyKid posted:

What should I know?
If you normally play games with subtitles off, you may want to use them in this one. There are a number of cutscenes in Japanese and they are not subtitled if you leave the option off.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tufty posted:

MMXII changes the character progression system in a way that completely breaks the game - personally I'd play an older version over MMXII. Dungeon Lords is a bad game, but weirdly enjoyable in a Two Worlds kind of way. If you can put up with A LOT of jank in your janky RPGs, it can be fun to play through the first few hours - especially if you can get a co-op buddy.

I would read this review and then go buy the Collector's Edition.

Alright, that's a pass then.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Discussion in the Steam thread got me nostalgic and am finally installing The Longest Journey. Are there any easter eggs or classic Sierra-style 'gotcha, now you can't finish the game' type things to worry about or should I just go in blind?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I killed everything in sight my first time through and got the bad ending and have been considering a second run, but...I really like killing when things go badly, it'd be nice to know that that option's still on the table if my best efforts at stealth and compassion fail. I'd hate to get all the way to the end and find myself getting the bad ending again, just because I sucked at stealth towards the end.

That's the way I did it. It's a lot more lenient than it sounds, really, because there's a lot of guards in many of the later levels so a scrap or three won't wreck your rank.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Keep in mind that its best to use your non-lethal items first, save for like two sleep darts or something, else you go too wild. Any bone charm that makes you choke enemies out faster is also immensely helpful. Finally, don't leave unconscious people laying around anywhere. They'll die --> more chaos

KoB
May 1, 2009

CowboyKid posted:

What should I know?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blowing robots to pieces gets you more credits than a mere kill. Just keep shooting as they fall to knock pieces off. It'll also give you a Trust bonus to your active squadmates. Oh and keep rotating them around - the squad trust meters affect the ending somewhat.

Also, use BIG BOOOOOOO and the English guys while you can, you get stuck with the Japanese sniper and another guy for like the middle 1/3 or 1/2 of the game, so it can be tough to increase their trust if you didnt at the beginning.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Okimin posted:

I just got Galactic Civilization II, I got a few of the basics down but anything special I should know?
To summarize what's been said on the Wiki Page (Both pages) and add a few tips:

*The further you get beyond 'Tough', the more the AI cheats to make up for that being its maxed out point of intelligence.
*Play to your race's strengths.
*Neutral is the best morality.
*Large fleets of small ships are more effective than a few big ships, both in cost-effectiveness, and keeping the AI from trying to extort you. This strategy, however, does make striking first paramount, and essentially makes the Arceans an absolute nightmare to fight. (They always get first hit, and tiny ships are very fragile.)
*Early-game can be funded by exploration and tech trades, but most of your mid- and late-game money will come from taxes and/or trade.
*For taxes, make your people super-happy, they'll breed like crazy. Then, once the planet's full to the gills, keep them happy, and tax them as much as you can while still keeping above a 50% approval rating. Yes, this involves taking an initial loss.
*For trade, population is a big part of how much the route is worth. Always have as many trade routes as you can, and between the highest-population planets you can, if you can manage.
*On the flip-side, you could theoretically devastate a computer enemy's economy by destroying all their trade routes, but they may or may not fudge certain numbers depending on your difficulty level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarLocke posted:

Discussion in the Steam thread got me nostalgic and am finally installing The Longest Journey. Are there any easter eggs or classic Sierra-style 'gotcha, now you can't finish the game' type things to worry about or should I just go in blind?

No, you can never make the game unwinnable or get yourself killed. Most of the puzzles are pretty reasonable, but there's one in the second, maybe first, chapter that is a bit abstract. It involves getting a key off of electrified train tracks, and chances are you'll need a walkthrough for it. That single puzzle aside though, the game's pretty straightforward with logical puzzle design.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

So what should I know before playing Darksiders II?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, you can never make the game unwinnable or get yourself killed. Most of the puzzles are pretty reasonable, but there's one in the second, maybe first, chapter that is a bit abstract. It involves getting a key off of electrified train tracks, and chances are you'll need a walkthrough for it. That single puzzle aside though, the game's pretty straightforward with logical puzzle design.

It's not only abstract, it's actually bugged. You will need to assemble something for that puzzle. Save before you combine any objects. If you put them together in the wrong order, they won't work and they can't be disassembled.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's not only abstract, it's actually bugged. You will need to assemble something for that puzzle. Save before you combine any objects. If you put them together in the wrong order, they won't work and they can't be disassembled.

Yeah, that exact puzzle forced me to restart the game. Thankfully there is nothing else like it for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

WarLocke posted:

Turn on time skip in the options menu. This allows you to move around quickly and skip some pointless recurring character animations.