Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I just blitz'd through this over the weekend. Amazing stuff but now I have to sit and wait for more like a chump! Why isn't everything instantaneous!?

gnome7 posted:

Onepunch Man: The only manga so well animated you can make a music video out of it.

I like the idea but why, why did they make it 360p? Such great art doesn't deserve all that artifacting. Whine aside, it works really nicely.

I really would love to see amateur attempts at animating some of the scenes though. The key frames are there, you just have to make roughly a billion inbetweens.

VVV Consider me appeased then!

Popo fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Popo posted:

I just blitz'd through this over the weekend. Amazing stuff but now I have to sit and wait for more like a chump! Why isn't everything instantaneous!?

I like the idea but why, why did they make it 360p? Such great art doesn't deserve all that artifacting. Whine aside, it works really nicely.

I really would love to see amateur attempts at animating some of the scenes though. The key frames are there, you just have to make roughly a billion inbetweens.

Because it's actually a rip of the original from niconico. I guess whoever ripped it didn't have nicovideo premium, because the version there is high quality.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

gnome7 posted:

Onepunch Man: The only manga so well animated you can make a music video out of it.

Alright, we have the OP, now we just need someone to produce the rest of the anime.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is it safe to start saying that Murata in a few years (maybe even now) is probably going to be the best manga/comics artist in the world? I mean, just stringing his drawings together makes a better OP than half of all the other fully animated ones.

Also, what's the song from? I really want to get a good dose of teenage angst.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Al-Saqr posted:

That is from Sum 41, "Still Waiting", I believe.

Aw drat, why do I still have a soft spot for the lovely songs I loved in High School :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Is it safe to start saying that Murata in a few years (maybe even now) is probably going to be the best manga/comics artist in the world? I mean, just stringing his drawings together makes a better OP than half of all the other fully animated ones.

Art is very much subjective. Murata is amazing, but it isn't as though technical excellence is something he has a monopoly on. Besides, comparing highly detailed art to anime OPs isn't really fair. Even when the source material includes that level of detail, anime studios rarely have the budget to animate it accordingly.

In short, be wary of hyperbole.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

That is from Sum 41, "Still Waiting", I believe.

Aw drat, why do I still have a soft spot for the lovely songs I loved in High School :(

My friend, every so and so a little bit of lovely high school songs is good for the soul, especially when it comes to anime OP's.

quote:

In short, be wary of hyperbole.

Well obviously yeah, I mean there's no way I'd say that murata is better than the myriad of masters out there, but I think his key strength lies in the feeling of motion and action he captures perfectly, the clear crisp lines he uses, his effective use of inking and the way that he blends detail with an accessible look that appeals to manga readers. Definitely my favourite current Shonen manga artist for sure.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 11, 2013

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Working at this pace, and being the overachiever he is, Murata will have only months. Alive, that is.

Also, in a world with Miura, second place is the best one can aspire to. :colbert:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Was Ms. Blizzard in the original?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Fubuki and Tatsumaki (Blizzard and Tornado) are both in the original, but they don't actually appear in the story for quite a while. They're very popular, though, so I'm guessing that Murata and ONE did the extra chapter to both satisfy fans of the original and give new readers a preview of some recurring characters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Blizzard is crazy stylish. Not that it really matters, as even with actual super powers she isn't even strong enough for class A. In other words, there are two different normal dudes in tank tops that are considerably stronger than she is.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Wait, it said she was B class? I thought she was A and had lackeys that were all B because she'd need lackeys that were decidedly weaker than her.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
They never said what level she is, just that her group is B heroes and her sister is #2 overall.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I guess that's true. It is still entirely possible that there are two tanktop guys stronger than she is, though.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

We're assuming she's rank b, based on the fact that he demonic mob kicked the crap out of her just like it did the rest of her group.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

gnome7 posted:

Personally, I prefer this one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

God dammit Murata stop being such a lateral thinker when it comes to comics, it's bad enough you're an incredible artist as it is.

Taken from his twitter.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
So when does Murata tattoo a group of bodybuilders into the next three chapters of Onepunch-man for some sick flex motion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

God dammit Murata stop being such a lateral thinker when it comes to comics, it's bad enough you're an incredible artist as it is.

Taken from his twitter.

The pinkie reveals a twist!

Also, :laffo: It's three dimensional.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

The pinkie reveals a twist!

Also, :laffo: It's three dimensional.

Murata is truly one of the greatest artists of our time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Next chapter is up in Japanese. Again, very short (unless Murata ninja edits in a dozen pages while I type this like he did last time). Murata's having way too much fun with webcomic format.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The mangapanda version is already up, and it isn't half bad this time. Very short chapter, though.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---024--?id=156888

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

No, it's all bad. They saved their images in (probably 16 color) png which made the grey tones look like pixelated poo poo, and despite the entire chapter having maybe 30 lines of text they still managed to make mistakes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

No, it's all bad. They saved their images in (probably 16 color) png which made the grey tones look like pixelated poo poo, and despite the entire chapter having maybe 30 lines of text they still managed to make mistakes.

Perfectionist, much? The chapter was plenty enjoyable.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The chapter was enjoyable. Mangapanda's translating and editing were not. They flubbed the meaning of several lines, for instance making it seem as though Genos was worried about Saitama in the scene directly following his upgrade. He's not worried about Saitama at all. He's worried about Saitama's opinion of him--of what his teacher would think if Genos turned and ran while Saitama himself was just chilling while the meteor came down.

And for a series where the art is one of the major appeals, having humongous watermarks pasted on top of every single page (every single downsized, pixelated page) is not a good thing by any stretch of the imagination.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 16, 2013

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Boon has put up his on Batoto now, so enjoy a version not swimming in watermarks.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

AnonSpore posted:

He's not worried about Saitama at all. He's worried about Saitama's opinion of him--of what his teacher would think if Genos turned and ran while Saitama himself was just chilling while the meteor came down.

I only read Boon's translations, but to quote his version: Genos: "Teacher lives in this city too... I can't just run away and leave him here to die!" Care to clarify?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

van fem posted:

I only read Boon's translations, but to quote his version: Genos: "Teacher lives in this city too... I can't just run away and leave him here to die!" Care to clarify?

Eh, Boon isn't a perfect translator either. He's significantly better than mangapanda but he does make mistakes too, and whether I'm right or he is, the last bit of the second sentence was added on by him. The original line is 「この町には先生も住んでいる・・・俺だけ逃げる訳にはいかない!」 which simply states that he can't run away by himself when Saitama is there. I suppose you could make a case that Genos was indeed concerned for his teacher, but that'd contradict the conviction we've seen from Genos so far that Saitama is on a level far above anything he himself can hope to achieve.

There's also the fact that later on in a future chapter, when Saitama does appear and punches the meteor, Bang is surprised by Saitama destroying it but Genos doesn't even get a reaction cut. His only shock was at Saitama actually showing up. It's possible that Genos was surprised by Saitama's strength and Murata will add in reaction cuts for him, but going solely just by what happened, I don't think it's likely.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore, could you delete the second paragraph in your post above? It contains a spoiler not for the latest released chapter but for the chapter following thereafter.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Or just tag it "future chapter of original OPM manga" in parentheses before the spoiler. It's a useless spoiler tag without clarification of what it's spoilering, but it's your fault if you know what it's about and still read it.

...though, that said, (talking about the future chapter spoiler) if you didn't guess that's exactly what's going to happen, you haven't been paying very much attention.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Einander posted:

...though, that said, (talking about the future chapter spoiler) if you didn't guess that's exactly what's going to happen, you haven't been paying very much attention.

Future chapter spoiler Well, I was hoping that Genos would finally get his moment of glory for once.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It does kinda seem out of character that Genos would be concerned for Saitama at all, from what we've seen so far he idolises Saitama's power in such a way that, if he thinks he has a chance of stopping this meteor, I sdoubt he'd think Saitama would be threatened by it. I imagine he'd think something that could actually hurt Saitama would be WAY out of Genos' weight class.

So to move on past the CIA document here, I'm hoping that when Saitama eventually shows up and solves this problem, because this manga isn't called "Genos kicks rear end", that this is how he finally gets his "hero name". I don;t think he's ever been called anything but Saitama and if he solves a Dragon level threat with just one punch then, well, maybe he will have the title foisted upon him.

Alternatively, he stays as Saitama the whole time for comedy purposes, I can see either happening.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 17, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Prison Warden posted:

Alternatively, he stays as Saitama the whole time for comedy purposes, I can see either happening.

I'm suspecting that Genos gets the credit for saving the day. It might be a bit of an obvious joke but it seems fitting for Saitama.

And we need a gif of the arm arming scene. Murata has such a great knack for evoking depth of field with just a subtle use of blurring.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You know, the entire concept of a badly drawn but amusing web comic being lovely redrawn in ultra high quality is fascinating to me. Is there anywhere that talks about how that came about?

e: I mean I know they had that one shot they did together, but it's still such a weird jump from there to "I should totally redrawn your gag comic in ultra high definition".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 17, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: I mean I know they had that one shot they did together, but it's still such a weird jump from there to "I should totally redrawn your gag comic in ultra high definition".

What's to not get? Two artists do a collaborative work, at some point they're gonna spend some time talking to each other. I wish I could draw like you do, man your writing is really good, badda bing badda boom it's raining chocolate peanutbutter cups.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
That isn't a mistake, AnonSpore, that's an embellishment. Very different things.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Eh, if we're talking about that one specific sentence, it changes what's being implied by the statement to something I think is pretty nonsensical. If it was done for the sake of making the sentence flow better it could have been done without changing the connotation of it.

e: Actually, never mind, I'm probably just being nitpicky because it's not how I personally would have done it, and also because I hate translation groups like mangapanda who will work on a project solely because it's popular and don't care about making GBS threads out subpar translation/editing jobs as long as they get it out before anyone else and therefore get the most views.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is it wrong that Mangapanda's prodigious watermarking with no regard to what's going on under the watermark annoys me more than their lovely translations?