Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This place is incredible:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1151087-Reviews-Leong_s_Legends-London_England.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Raffles posted:

Could I get some recommendations from the London goon hivemind on some decent Chinese or Thai places in or near Chinatown?

The Four Seasons is my favourite of the main chinatown restaurants. New China is ok, not great. I've heard good things about Ba Shan on Romilly Street but have never been there myself.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Raffles posted:

Could I get some recommendations from the London goon hivemind on some decent Chinese or Thai places in or near Chinatown?

Ba Shan for Hunan food. Basically order more or less what these dudes did: http://eatlovenoodles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/at-last-general-tso-makes-it-to-london.html though I wouldn't bother with the general tso's myself.

It's my favourite restaurant at the moment though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My favourite is HK Diner (try the 5 spice braised beef brisket), but also Wong Kei, Four Seasons, and Hung's.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I just got back from Tootoomoo in Crouch End (tootoomoo.co.uk). Holy gently caress, it was good. I had some vegetable tempura that was perfect and my partner had a beef dish that wasn't on the menu and it was absolutely divine - I could eat it all day. The beef was so tender and perfectly cooked and the spices were so yummy! We had a sharing platter for dessert that had a fruit and chocolate mousse with crunchy stuff on top and a pistachio crème brûlée that I could also have never stopped tasting.

The service was friendly and attentive but without being overbearing, and their lychee bellinis were pretty nice as well as the food. I highly recommend this place, they seem to know what they're doing and, well, they're bloody fab at it!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bollock Monkey posted:

I just got back from Tootoomoo in Crouch End (tootoomoo.co.uk). Holy gently caress, it was good. I had some vegetable tempura that was perfect and my partner had a beef dish that wasn't on the menu and it was absolutely divine - I could eat it all day. The beef was so tender and perfectly cooked and the spices were so yummy! We had a sharing platter for dessert that had a fruit and chocolate mousse with crunchy stuff on top and a pistachio crème brûlée that I could also have never stopped tasting.

The service was friendly and attentive but without being overbearing, and their lychee bellinis were pretty nice as well as the food. I highly recommend this place, they seem to know what they're doing and, well, they're bloody fab at it!

Awesome, that's just around the corner. I'll have to check it out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ineptmule posted:

Awesome, that's just around the corner. I'll have to check it out.

Ditto! Lots of N Londoners here.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Asking for my dad, who recently moved to Putney Bridge area (he's on Brewhouse lane): any good places nearby? Part of his job is wining and dining people, so while fancy is good, overall excellence in food is better.

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Chez Bruce is fairly nearby

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Snipeo posted:

Chez Bruce is fairly nearby

Looks about right, thanks!. Any great non-Michelin restaurants, of any cuisine, in case he wants backups?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Steakandchips posted:

I'm up for a run at Bodeans next weekend, if any of youse are in the mood.

Hmm, I could be down for this. Around 5 or 6 on Saturday, beat the crowds? Also, I realised last time I've never been downstairs, what goes on there? Is it just more seating?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm, I could be down for this. Around 5 or 6 on Saturday, beat the crowds? Also, I realised last time I've never been downstairs, what goes on there? Is it just more seating?

Excellent!

Saturday 23rd February, 5pm at the Bodean's Tower Hill, 16 Byward Street, London, EC3R 5BA - good with you?

Yes, downstairs it's just more seating, the loos and a tiny bar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Excellent!

Saturday 23rd February, 5pm at the Bodean's Tower Hill, 16 Byward Street, London, EC3R 5BA - good with you?

Yes, downstairs it's just more seating, the loos and a tiny bar.

Gah, you and your crazy tower hill Bodean's. Soho, man!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Raffles posted:

To add to the list haozhan is superb.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

For whatever reason, I've always found Soho Bodeans to be the most consistently good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Sure, Soho it is.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor, we still on for 5pm at Soho on Saturday, yes?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Any more takers?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

Any more takers?

I'd like to but have other commitments. Plus you're all Internet freaks.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

Any more takers?

This sounds awesome, but we're going out for my brother's birthday on Saturday :(. Next time!

(For those interested, we've decided to go to Ninety Eight Bar. Looks rad.)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Y'all should come to this on March 16th so we can discuss the rise of kimchii, how poo poo cadburys chocolate tastes now and what the next pop-up trend will be!!!!!!*

*Only if you want. It is a goon meet ffs.

In actual content, I finally made it to Byron burger the other day and holy moly that was good for a chain. Very impressed, especially the bun. Their ginormo milkshakes were also extremely tasty.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

I'd like to but have other commitments. Plus you're all Internet freaks.

Freaky is just how your mother likes us.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Neris posted:

Y'all should come to this on March 16th so we can discuss the rise of kimchii, how poo poo cadburys chocolate tastes now and what the next pop-up trend will be!!!!!!*

In actual content, I finally made it to Byron burger the other day and holy moly that was good for a chain. Very impressed, especially the bun. Their ginormo milkshakes were also extremely tasty.

I go there just for the courgette fries sometimes

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Raffles posted:

Depending on how big or small you want to eat Jen Cafe and the hawker stall/Sichuan(?) restaurant next door are really great. Gonna second Ba Shan as well, good atomsphere nice food.
For dim sum Dumpling's Legend is OK, the food is good (especially for Chinatown), but the service is really, really bad because they are so busy. The price-tastiness ratio is OK if you're willing to wait. I think they supply Opium, so if you're not that pekish and have cash to burn go there instead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Cadbury's always tasted poo poo.

I just made some kimchi, but I don't think I'll make it again, unless my wife leaves me (and if I do, she probably will). That stuff stinks. I think its popularity arises from the increased interest in Korean food plus spiciness plus artisanal and fermented, traditional foods - it's like a perfect storm of foodie trends. It also tastes loving good and there is something addictive about it.

I don't like chains in principle, but I like Byron's in practice. It's good food.

Steakandchips posted:

Freaky is just how your mother likes us.

:golfclap:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Any more takers?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Sure, why not? Don't be weird. I don't put out on the first date.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Excellent.

I'll be wearing a red tee shirt.

Ramone-Kit
Mar 22, 2007

Just had lunch/dinner with a few friends at MEATMarket. I'm gonna be dragging all my friends there as soon as they can make it - probably even the vegetarians too. The Chili Cheese Fries were fantastic, though we did have to share them between the four of us. So good.

(Do I even want to guess whats in Dead Hippie sauce or is it best left as a terrible mystery?)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Late as ever, I visited Meat Liquor for the first time last week. It was ... okay.

We got there early and so there was no queue. Liked the decor but the place was as noisy as all get out. Fries were good. Burgers were a varied lot : my cheesesteak was subpar, the Chili burger was good but hardly hot. And 4 pounds for a tiny Czech "craft lager"?

When we left there were twenty or so people waiting in the rain for a table. I'll probably come back, but not soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The MEATwhatever places' cheesesteaks are terrible. The one I had from MEATMarket was very subpar. A cheesesteak should have steak, green peppers, a little onion, then smothered in cheese. Theirs is 90% onion.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The_Doctor I am running about 20 mins late as i set fire to my chopping board...

Deepest apologies. See you at about 5.20pm at Soho Bodeans!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm at Bank. Another 15 mins or so...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm here

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm sitting at the bar sort of thing. Red tee shirt, grey trousers, black trainers.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Disappointed you couldn't make it, The_Doctor.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Dude, take it to PMs

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Ooooh, stood up! IRL burn.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Neris posted:

Dude, take it to PMs

The_Doctor does not have PMs!

theunderwaterbear posted:

Ooooh, stood up! IRL burn.

I know, painful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Bad luck. On the other hand you got a sammich. Win. FWIW I will vouch for steak being a stand up goon and not likely to axe murderer anyone.

Went to Ozone for brunch today. It's a stones throw from Salvation Jane near Old St roundabout but different menu and setup. Seems to be mostly a roastery with a cafe built up around it. Beans were spilling out into the cooling tray while we ate. Coffee quality goes without saying, pancakes were double sided like a huge flat abelskiver with figs and I'm right this minute attempting to replicate the pistachio raspberry muffins. Good place.

http://www.ozonecoffee.co.uk/cafe-menu