Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

dog nougat posted:

I keep seeing people talk about coil whine on their graphics cards. What's the difference between that and the fan just being loud because it's moving a lot of air?

Edit: I found this wikipedia article about it. I'd it really that loud/so prevalent that it's a big deal? I don't think I've ever noticed any sort of coil noise, just the fan being loud as gently caress on my 570 HD.

Different people have different frequency responses in their hearing. Your hearing also changes as you age, hence the prevalence of hearing aides among the elderly. The effect is also very hardware dependent so it's entirely possible you've never had a card that was very noisy in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I get that coil whine noise in Minecraft and Skyrim and it's quite annoying, have to play with headphones on. No other game i play at the moment does that and I have no idea how to fix it but limiting fps helps.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

I keep seeing people talk about coil whine on their graphics cards. What's the difference between that and the fan just being loud because it's moving a lot of air?

Edit: I found this wikipedia article about it. I'd it really that loud/so prevalent that it's a big deal? I don't think I've ever noticed any sort of coil noise, just the fan being loud as gently caress on my 570 HD.

I had a Gigabyte one before and it was loud, so I returned it and exchanged it for an asus 570 and the noise went away. Supposedly it's because some manufactures (gigabyte) was using shittier components on their cards.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
IIRC there's something you can do with gluing down coils, although it may also do gently caress-all to help (also it'll invalidate your warranty clearly). Alot of EVGA cards are known for whine as well. All you can really do it swap out the card for a different PCB revision, or deal with it.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I actually considered opening it up and use some glue but it just sounded lovely to do to a 300 bucks piece of electronics that I just bought :v:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Curiously, my EVGA GTX680 has coil whine specifically in the main menus in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games. Nowhere else.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Does anyone have an opinion of the Windforce 3x coolers, compared to "normal" ones on GTX 680? It's just 20$ more, thinking of getting that

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

td4guy posted:

Curiously, my EVGA GTX680 has coil whine specifically in the main menus in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games. Nowhere else.

That's just STALKER being STALKER. Happened on my 260, 6950, and now my 7950. The Zone does mysterious things to graphics cards.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skilleddk posted:

Does anyone have an opinion of the Windforce 3x coolers, compared to "normal" ones on GTX 680? It's just 20$ more, thinking of getting that

They're much better than the normal one as long as you have even slightly reasonable case airflow.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Skilleddk posted:

Don't get the Windforce 5X ones though, using a bunch of tiny fans makes for a bad noise profile and reliability.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Thanks, got the Gigabyte GTX680 Windforce 3x. I use an antec 1200, should be ok for airflow

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Has anyone here ever dealt with the Lenovo Ideapad series of laptops and their mobile GPU's crashing? I have a Y570 with the Nvidia Geforce 555M that I bought last year that suddenly decided that a functioning video card was a problem. It started with any program attempting to use the card causing a BSOD, then progressed to the switch for activating the card staying permanently on or off, and then ultimately the computer failing to recognize the card is even there. I've tried new/old drivers, drivers from the manufacturer's site, deleting and reinstalling the Nvidia software, and system restoring to before the problems started to no effect. I can't find a solution online and I've read that Lenovo tech support just "reimages" the laptop without solving the problem. I can't really afford to leave the computer at a service center for a few weeks because I use it for school, so I was hoping someone technologically literate here can help me out.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
It sounds like a hardware issue, so there might not be anything you can do.
Try reinstalling the GPU drivers from Lenovo's support site.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, downloaded the latest drivers from the Lenovo site, things worked, then I restarted the computer. Got the the "do not turn off the computer, updating" message, and now the same problems are back. I have no idea what to do. :bang:

Edit: I found a properties tab for the Nvidia card in the control panel and it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" with an error code 0000002b, which apparently means that a usb device is not recognized. For some reason my computer can't find the card itself but occasionally after driver re-installs it works temporarily.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 13, 2013

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I had that same problem. I had to system restore to a point a few weeks before and that solved my issues; they haven't come back since.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
System restored, restarted computer, and unusually, I managed to get through some menus in Orcs Must Die! before a buzzing sound went off and the computer BSOD'd rather than just crashing immediately upon loading the game. Still not working.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't have a warranty left it's probably time to disassemble it, reseat the videocard, apply new TIM and blow out any dust. If you have warranty left you should let their service center deal with it and borrow another one while it's there if you really can't get along without it. It's incredibly unlikely it's a software problem.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 13, 2013

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Installed the new GPU easily (GTX 680), the difference between my old one is just loving staggering :stare: I managed around 20-30 fps maxed in Crysis 2 with the 5970, now I'm at a stable 60. Next up is Battlefield 3!

edit: And the temperatures, 25c idle and 55c under full load in Crysis 2. That's where my old card was idling, I'm in love :allears:

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech has received confirmation from AMD that the initial Radeon HD 8000-series launch will not replace their high-end desktop parts, which is why those charts showed their 7800 and 7900-series as stable through 2013. They DO plan to release a new GPU architecture by the end of the year to replace these products in the desktop. In the near-term, AMD will releasing new Radeon HD 7000-series parts based on the Oland GPU, which is a reconfiguration of existing GCN designs.

Overall, no new high-end videocards before the end of the year, but some low-end parts, especially mobile and older rebrands, will get slightly freshened.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has received confirmation from AMD that the initial Radeon HD 8000-series launch will not replace their high-end desktop parts, which is why those charts showed their 7800 and 7900-series as stable through 2013. They DO plan to release a new GPU architecture by the end of the year to replace these products in the desktop. In the near-term, AMD will releasing new Radeon HD 7000-series parts based on the Oland GPU, which is a reconfiguration of existing GCN designs.

Overall, no new high-end videocards before the end of the year, but some low-end parts, especially mobile and older rebrands, will get slightly freshened.

Is nVidia's strategy the same too?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

craig588 posted:

If you don't have a warranty left it's probably time to disassemble it, reseat the videocard, apply new TIM and blow out any dust. If you have warranty left you should let their service center deal with it and borrow another one while it's there if you really can't get along without it. It's incredibly unlikely it's a software problem.

I was thinking the same - could be heat-related damage but hard to tell. Ranger, if you're up to it, you can try doing a partial disassemble and cleaning it out with compressed air, might be worth it just to see if anything is clogging up the fan or heatsink. I used to be sorta iffy on doing any sort of laptop repair, but sometimes you just gotta take a risk and figure things out. I found a quick resource that might come in handy, a video that walks through a full disassemble of your model (doubt you'd want to do that but you can maybe get the back panel off at least to check for fan debris/problems). I have an older T61 and remember it had some heat issues, and I said "gently caress it" and got some online guides/walkthroughs, went step-by-step and carefully took everything apart, cleaned it well, put new thermal paste on the CPU/GPU, and reassembled all within a couple hours. Definitely worth a shot and doesn't hurt to learn how to fix that stuff on your own if you're ever in dire need and can't afford (or wait for) a service place to do it.

Ideapad Y570 video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tE_i91q5vw

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Tab8715 posted:

Is nVidia's strategy the same too?

Not precisely, but pretty close. Currently, Maxwell (follow-up to Kepler, along with a 20nm node shrink) is slated for a 2014 release. GeForce 700 will be "Kepler Refresh," the way GeForce 500 (Fermi refresh) was to GeForce 400 (Fermi). The first Kepler Refresh chip, GK110, has been shipping as the current generation of Tesla cards for a bit now, and it's expected to become a GeForce card with the ultrapremium GeForce Titan sometime soon. Much as AMD is "expected if you read between the lines" to refresh the HD 7000 series without fundamentally changing much, Nvidia is going to swap Kepler for Kepler Refresh for GeForce 700 this year. Well, maybe; right now it's mostly just a shitload of rebrands.

All subject to change.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Don't forget, we have the GTX Titan hitting next week.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Let me get this straight,

We're not going to see any massive architectural changes until 2014 aside from maybe a die-shrink?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, except not even a die-shrink. Just new configurations or minor architectural refreshes. Subject to change*.

*May not change.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Yes, except not even a die-shrink. Just new configurations or minor architectural refreshes. Subject to change*.

*May not change.

What do you mean by a new configuration?

I currently have a 7850 but at some point I'm thinking about picking up a 2560x1600 at some point in the not-so-distant feature. I'm currently using a 24" that's 1920x1200 and I'd like to buy another a flank the 30" with two 24's in Portrait Mode.

That'd be a resolution of about 4960x1920... I think this would kind of work out? Anyway, if I were to invest in the this setup I think it'd want to wait until the latest and greatest came out or maybe not I'm waiting a year.

staan
Mar 4, 2002
sup

Tab8715 posted:

What do you mean by a new configuration?

I currently have a 7850 but at some point I'm thinking about picking up a 2560x1600 at some point in the not-so-distant feature. I'm currently using a 24" that's 1920x1200 and I'd like to buy another a flank the 30" with two 24's in Portrait Mode.

That'd be a resolution of about 4960x1920... I think this would kind of work out? Anyway, if I were to invest in the this setup I think it'd want to wait until the latest and greatest came out or maybe not I'm waiting a year.

I dont think this will work, first of all the 30" will not be able to display the 1920, and eyefinity only (so far) allows you to use monitors in portrait or landscape, but not a combination

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

staan posted:

I dont think this will work, first of all the 30" will not be able to display the 1920, and eyefinity only (so far) allows you to use monitors in portrait or landscape, but not a combination

Blah, you're right. Games wouldn't be able to draw the difference. There goes that idea...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
"New configurations" means the same microarchitecture but different numbers of compute units, like a GK104 (GeForce 680) has 8 SMX units for 1536 shaders, and GK106 (GeForce 660) has 5 SMX units for 960 shaders, or Tahiti (Radeon 7970) has 32 CUs for 2048 shaders and Pitcairn (Radeon 7870) has 20 CUs for 1280 shaders. AMD is going to push out GCN (a.k.a. GCN1) to the low-end with a 384 shader unit.

staan
Mar 4, 2002
sup

Tab8715 posted:

Blah, you're right. Games wouldn't be able to draw the difference. There goes that idea...

You can still run all three side by side, im running a 24 center with 23's flanking and its not very noticeable.
Maybe consider a 27 for the mid so the difference wont be so great.
You'd be running 5760x1080 but believe me any eyefinity is still much better than none.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Skilleddk posted:

Installed the new GPU easily (GTX 680), the difference between my old one is just loving staggering :stare: I managed around 20-30 fps maxed in Crysis 2 with the 5970, now I'm at a stable 60. Next up is Battlefield 3!

edit: And the temperatures, 25c idle and 55c under full load in Crysis 2. That's where my old card was idling, I'm in love :allears:

I only have a 660 but it makes a huge difference in power/heat especially while idle. It's just that over a lot of summer I found myself unable to leave the gpu idle. I did so much gaming and it warmed up my apartment a lot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Some new (legit?) nVidia slides about Titan here.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there some trick to getting Windows 7 to recognize a GPU that's PCIe 3.0? I have a nVidia 660 attached to an Asus P8Z77-V LX (Z77 ATX), and while I'm getting video the nVidia control panel doesn't seem to see the card at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Maarak posted:

Is there some trick to getting Windows 7 to recognize a GPU that's PCIe 3.0? I have a nVidia 660 attached to an Asus P8Z77-V LX (Z77 ATX), and while I'm getting video the nVidia control panel doesn't seem to see the card at all.

Can you be more specific? were you able to install the nvidia drivers and its showing as a geforce 660 or whatever in device manager?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Some new (legit?) nVidia slides about Titan here.

They benchmarked a 3-SLI Titan? Who in gods name throws down that kind of money?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They seem to have a really hard time getting the heat under control. I remember previous rumors were that it was going to run at something like 700MHz. It's not dramatically faster than a 680 despite having almost double the compute units. I think they had to go 2x 690 and 3x titan in order to show an improvement. A single 690 is probably faster than a single titan and they're both in the 900$+ range.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Don Lapre posted:

Can you be more specific? were you able to install the nvidia drivers and its showing as a geforce 660 or whatever in device manager?

I got frustrated and did a fresh install of windows 7, installed the motherboard drivers, downloaded the windows updates, then installed the newest driver. However, now I'm getting a blank black screen after the windows logo appears. Safe mode works still luckily.

edit. Prior to re-installing windows, the card showed up as a generic videocard in device manager.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

They benchmarked a 3-SLI Titan? Who in gods name throws down that kind of money?

I'm pretty sure nVidia can benchmark whatever they feel like...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

To be fair, thats four GPU's vs three, still an impressive showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
And who's really going to be the target market for an $800-$900 beast? The person who just wants one video card, or the person who already owns two 690s?