Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veins McGee posted:

I don't know if its a real recruiting picture or not but it made me lol.

Oh yeah these are legit.

My old company's supply sgt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Those are amazing, I just noticed the

SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY
SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY SUPPLY

in the background

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh wow, I thought those were fake.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's we see some Syrian opposition fighters sneak up behind a tank, then send in a guy to drop a grenade into it. Slighty :nws: for obvious reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yck3EZeyOD0

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brown Moses posted:

Here's we see some Syrian opposition fighters sneak up behind a tank, then send in a guy to drop a grenade into it. Slighty :nws: for obvious reasons

All the suggestions for viewing after were Harlem Shake videos

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Did the grenade explode? I saw two guys jump out of the tank and run away from the camera.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Did the grenade explode? I saw two guys jump out of the tank and run away from the camera.

I'm not sure it did, free tank I guess.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

E: nm, I was mistaken.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Brown Moses posted:

This is why you support tanks with infantry. How many times are people going to have to learn that lesson the hard way? Though I think that tank was already disabled? It just sat there as the rebels shot at it for some reason.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Brown Moses posted:

Was the tank already on fire when he dropped the grenade? It looked like a little flames coming out the rear of it in the 1080p version.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Military Working Dogs! puppypuppypuppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEo2afOy-5I

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Can you US fellas answer me this, does the Garand below have its bolt in?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's Jabhat al-Nusra using a claimed 50 IEDs to attack a convoy in Syria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mcQrU-zv84

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Can you US fellas answer me this, does the Garand below have its bolt in?

I can't say with certainty from that picture alone because if the bolt is in it is locked back (which is why you can't see it and why you can see the follower where the bolt would be if it was forward; also the charging handle is locked to the rear), but I would be shocked if it wasn't in since it would look rather funny when the bolt was supposed to be forward, which would be most of the time. I'm not familiar with the M1 manual of arms, but I would imagine the Marine in the picture is performing something like inspection arms, which is why he has the bolt locked back.

Generally speaking with drill rifles they leave the bolt installed but snip the firing pin/otherwise render it inoperable and plug the barrel.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Brown Moses posted:

It's a bit scary how media savvy this Salafist group is getting.

Also I guess they're not afraid of a follow up air strike on the convoy's wreckage. Given how eager these guys always are to admire their handiwork they seem like an easy target.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

iyaayas01 posted:

I can't say with certainty from that picture alone because if the bolt is in it is locked back (which is why you can't see it and why you can see the follower where the bolt would be if it was forward; also the charging handle is locked to the rear), but I would be shocked if it wasn't in since it would look rather funny when the bolt was supposed to be forward, which would be most of the time. I'm not familiar with the M1 manual of arms, but I would imagine the Marine in the picture is performing something like inspection arms, which is why he has the bolt locked back.

Generally speaking with drill rifles they leave the bolt installed but snip the firing pin/otherwise render it inoperable and plug the barrel.

Okay thanks for that, I am specifically looking for pictures of marines with no bolts in their Garands. I have not had much look so far though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Okay thanks for that, I am specifically looking for pictures of marines with no bolts in their Garands. I have not had much look so far though.

Specifically Marines, or just a Garand w/no bolt? I can take out mine tomorrow if that's good enough, but I don't think you're going to find any kind of "action" shot with a visibly removed bolt. Even high school drill Garands have their bolts.

I think the bolt is in place in that picture...I think I can see the edge of it, but it could just be the ramp underneath. I can't remember exactly how far back it locks. And yes, that's an inspection as mentioned.

Edit: As I sit here and think about it, you won't find such a picture. Without the bolt, the mechanism won't function; it won't lock open.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What kind of casualties would that convoy take? I saw a lot of soft-skinned vehicles, so right off the bat that's a few casualties. I expect that the rebels would have moved to assault immediately after, or at least fired on the convoy. Since they were filming the wreckage, they obviously secured the site, which leads me to think that the Syrian army was unwilling or unable to counterattack.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can someone sum up this whole Syrian conflict in a couple sentences in a non-GBS way? Whose side are we on again? I thought at first it was like "yeah, rebel! You're oppressed!" But?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Christoff posted:

Can someone sum up this whole Syrian conflict in a couple sentences in a non-GBS way? Whose side are we on again? I thought at first it was like "yeah, rebel! You're oppressed!" But?
20 second oversimplification:

Arab spring hits Syria, Syrian dictator (Assad) responds with brutal crackdown, and a bloody civil war ensues with many atrocities committed. The opposition has been on the receiving side of most of the atrocities, and Assad is almost universally considered the bad guy.

US is firmly on the side of the Syrian opposition, and formally recognized the Syrian Opposition Council as the legitimate government of Syria, and has provided a lot of non-military aid to help stem the humanitarian crisis. Russia has a base in Syria and a vested interest in Assad not falling and hasn't let the UN do much, either. Add to this that a significant chunk of the opposition are muslim extremists, and US has gone as far to label some of the opposition as terrorists, and it gets really murky.

TLDR: it's OK to cheer for the opposition.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 17, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

grover posted:

20 second oversimplification:

Arab spring hits Syria, Syrian dictator (Assad) responds with brutal crackdown, and a bloody civil war ensues with many atrocities committed. The opposition has been on the receiving side of most of the atrocities, and Assad is almost universally considered the bad guy.

US is firmly on the side of the Syrian opposition, and formally recognized the Syrian Opposition Council as the legitimate government of Syria, and has provided a lot of non-military aid to help stem the humanitarian crisis. Russia has a base in Syria and a vested interest in Assad not falling and hasn't let the UN do much, either. Add to this that a significant chunk of the opposition are muslim extremists, and US has gone as far to label some of the opposition as terrorists, and it gets really murky.

TLDR: it's OK to cheer for the opposition.

Just to add to that, as the conflict has gone on Jihadists from across the globe have headed to Syria and Jihadists groups like Jabhat al-Nusra (with linked to Al-Qaeda in Iraq) have become increasingly powerful. There's also elements of Kurdish separatism in the north of the country that's also make things increasingly complex. Basically the whole thing is a terrible mess with almost every realistic outcome being terrible for Syria and the region.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So, if we were to go there for whatever reason. Exactly what side would we be on? Or would it just be "peacekeeping?" Not trying to derail this thread I'm just confused as to where we're "supposed" to stand. So it went from "Hell yeah rebel!" To "oh this is going a bit far, we don't like that religion and those dudes, nevermind"

Content -

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We want the opposition to win because Assad and everyone he's associated with is a bastard. But 'the opposition' is actually a whole mess of different groups, most ethnic based, some ideology based, some of which are relatively OK, some of which are worse bastards than Assad / pretty much Al Qaeda or however you think of these things. Most of them are also very excited about killing each other when the government isn't around - Libya's an even bigger ethnic clash mess than Iraq is. None of them are in any shape to run the country or even keep it one piece when Assad falls. We're not getting officially involved because a) QUAGMIRE b) we can't pick allies for poo poo and don't want to help/arm guys who just turn around and blow up Americans. Also the Russians have commitments with Assad because they have a base there and the less we get involved the less they have to. Depending on the ethnic groups we ally with/against it also affects Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon etc so it's not contained within current Syrian borders.

Oh, and there are chemical weapons, advanced MANPADS and all other sorts of fun stuff wandering around that'll end up on the black market sooner or later. Meanwhile the ratio of guys we like / extremists drops every day, and the people think after all our fluffy speeches that the Americans have abandoned them, which in the loopy logic of the Arab world turns into we have some deal with Assad or some poo poo which is going to do wonders for diplomacy down the line.

So it's basically like Libya, only the stakes are higher because of the location, and we got burned real bad on Libya so now we're not touching the oven at all

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

We want the opposition to win because Assad and everyone he's associated with is a bastard. But 'the opposition' is actually a whole mess of different groups, most ethnic based, some ideology based, some of which are relatively OK, some of which are worse bastards than Assad / pretty much Al Qaeda or however you think of these things. Most of them are also very excited about killing each other when the government isn't around - Libya's an even bigger ethnic clash mess than Iraq is. None of them are in any shape to run the country or even keep it one piece when Assad falls. We're not getting officially involved because a) QUAGMIRE b) we can't pick allies for poo poo and don't want to help/arm guys who just turn around and blow up Americans. Also the Russians have commitments with Assad because they have a base there and the less we get involved the less they have to. Depending on the ethnic groups we ally with/against it also affects Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon etc so it's not contained within current Syrian borders.

Oh, and there are chemical weapons, advanced MANPADS and all other sorts of fun stuff wandering around that'll end up on the black market sooner or later. Meanwhile the ratio of guys we like / extremists drops every day, and the people think after all our fluffy speeches that the Americans have abandoned them, which in the loopy logic of the Arab world turns into we have some deal with Assad or some poo poo which is going to do wonders for diplomacy down the line.

So it's basically like Libya, only the stakes are higher because of the location, and we got burned real bad on Libya so now we're not touching the oven at all

What's really lovely is that we didn't get burned in Libya. We helped pretty much the right people and they are more pro-Western than they might have been otherwise. However anti-interventionist and anti-Obama factions have done their best to convince us that Libya is now an Al Qaeda Muslim Brotherhood America Hatopia. Libya is probably the best foreign military intervention we've done since Kosovo but that doesn't agree with everyone's politics.

e: pictures thread

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's some young people in Syria playing a game where they pretend to be firing a mortar, only using live cluster munitions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM4nUf05do

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:stare:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Stultus Maximus posted:

Libya is probably the best foreign military intervention we've done since Kosovo but that doesn't agree with everyone's politics.

And Kosovo was (and is) a loving mess, so all that really is saying is that our interventions over the past decade have been loving retarded.

Even though it was a "good" intervention, Libya is still having (and will continue to have for many years) major second and third order effects...the issues in Mali right now? Some of that can be directly traced to Libya, specifically the proliferation of arms across the Maghreb.

Mirage 2000Ds on their way to N'Djamena.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Brown Moses posted:

Here's some young people in Syria playing a game where they pretend to be firing a mortar, only using live cluster munitions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM4nUf05do

There is no loving way.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MARINES HAD TO TAKE THE BOLTS OUT OF THEIR RIFLES FOR OBONGO INAGURATION OMG!

This looks legit, though. The charging handle is forward.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There is no loving way.
Please please tell me those were disarmed with the explosives removed...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

grover posted:

Please please tell me those were disarmed with the explosives removed...

The fuze is still present, and judging by the hundreds of videos I've collected so far they don't consider them a danger.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Worst part is the little boy getting involved and the kids in the background shouting every time they hang a round. Teach 'em young. :smith:

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Civ desk jockey here, but the aftermath doesn't seem like it's from the same area to me. Pre-ambush there's visible buildings and trees, and the horizon is a treeline. It also looks like they're driving along a dyke or road. The aftermath looks like it's in the middle of nowhere.

Also the IED shot looks like something Hollywood rigged up.

E: Watched it a few more times, and there are a couple small buildings in the background. And the first blowed up wreck they show has a graphic on the side that matches one of the vehicles in the column. Weird. It still feels off, but maybe that's just me.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 18, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

MARINES HAD TO TAKE THE BOLTS OUT OF THEIR RIFLES FOR OBONGO INAGURATION OMG!

This looks legit, though. The charging handle is forward.

Well holy poo poo. Yeah, that's what would happen. That's so loving dumb. no way those enlisted dudes make enough money to buy ammo in this loving market

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

Well holy poo poo. Yeah, that's what would happen. That's so loving dumb. no way those enlisted dudes make enough money to buy ammo in this loving market

It seems kind of dumb unless they also take the bolt out during the Evening Parade(I assume the President goes to one or two of those a year).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wouldn't expect the kind of person to get angry at this over Facebook to know who Anwar Sadat was.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to get all freeper in here, but do they really not trust anyone in our own military....wait why am I asking that question.

:negative:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I don't trust anyone in our military unless you mean trust them to put their balls in my coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mission first.

• Locked thread