Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CPL593H posted:

The standard black vinyl edition can be found domestically for 34.99 and free shipping here: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/john-carpenter-they-live-soundtrack-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

The colored vinyl edition is limited to 300. The black is limited to 1000.

I need this, despite already owning this:

:c00l: It's such a good soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You're probably safer listing the bad Stones studio records, since there are so many decent-to-excellent ones. Some may disagree, which is fine, but it's generally safe to skip Their Satanic Majesties Request (though I really like it), Undercover, Dirty Work & Steel Wheels. Black and Blue is uneven, people will be divided on it. Skip live records whose titles don't start with G. The real key is determining where the compilations are (there's about forty million of them) and skipping the majority of those, since they overlap so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Allen Wren posted:

You're probably safer listing the bad Stones studio records, since there are so many decent-to-excellent ones. Some may disagree, which is fine, but it's generally safe to skip Their Satanic Majesties Request (though I really like it), Undercover, Dirty Work & Steel Wheels. Black and Blue is uneven, people will be divided on it. Skip live records whose titles don't start with G. The real key is determining where the compilations are (there's about forty million of them) and skipping the majority of those, since they overlap so much.

I'll make this easier. Don't listen to anything after Some Girls. And the Brian Jones era is the best of it. Also, Satanic Majesties Request is an album everyone should at least give a chance because it's way better than anyone gives it credit for.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Eh, Tattoo You was alright...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ron Burgundy posted:

Eh, Tattoo You was alright...

Considering it was made up of mostly old material, it was okay. Some Girls is excellent. Try to find a first printing with the original cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Considering it was made up of mostly old material, it was okay. Some Girls is excellent. Try to find a first printing with the original cover.

You mean the sleeve that comes out so you can change the faces?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, after I made my post, I ended up pulling out my copy of Satanic Majesties.

gently caress, 2000 Light Years From Home is the poo poo and a half. Also Citadel, haters get hosed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, after I made my post, I ended up pulling out my copy of Satanic Majesties.

gently caress, 2000 Light Years From Home is the poo poo and a half. Also Citadel, haters get hosed.

The reason everyone shits on that album is because it just doesn't sound like any other Rolling Stones album (which is why it's my favorite) and because it's wrongfully categorized as a Sgt. Pepper ripoff, mostly by people who've never actually listened to it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I left it off the list originally because I didn't want to get controversial. I should feel bad, yes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I left it off the list originally because I didn't want to get controversial. I should feel bad, yes.

Getting controversial is good though. Circlejerking over Exile on Main Street for the 7000th time is the most boring thing imaginable. It's not even close to being their best album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Well, the thought was "Let's not drop a guy who doesn't know what the good Stones records are into a giant internet fistfight on the topic."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Well, the thought was "Let's not drop a guy who doesn't know what the good Stones records are into a giant internet fistfight on the topic."

Yeah, you're probably right. My honest advice would be to start with Aftermath and go in order until Some Girls and then stop.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

You mean the sleeve that comes out so you can change the faces?

Yes. Some of the celebrities sued and their faces had to be removed on subsequent releases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes. Some of the celebrities sued and their faces had to be removed on subsequent releases.

I never knew that. I just pulled out my copy and it appears that I have the first pressing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

I never knew that. I just pulled out my copy and it appears that I have the first pressing.

If it's got Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe, then it's a first pressing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the earliest Stones album I saw was Tattoo You, but there were a few copies. I think that based on what I saw one of them is bound to be in decent condition.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

I think the earliest Stones album I saw was Tattoo You, but there were a few copies. I think that based on what I saw one of them is bound to be in decent condition.

Don't bother. That's when they started getting lovely.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CPL593H posted:

Don't bother. That's when they started getting lovely.

You can pretty much stop with Emotional Rescue.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Honestly, even the 80s Stones have some pretty decent tracks. I mean, you can hate on the Harlem Shuffle all you want, but that doesn't mean that it ain't a good song. In fact, I can't think of a single era of the Stones that really is a complete wash... although I think most people don't really care about their new stuff.

As for the 60s Stones, if you get the American records, before Aftermath, make sure it is in mono, since I believe the stereo versions are all fake stereo. And I heard that the UK mono Satanic Majesties Request is a fold and that the American is a dedicated version, so you know where to go too if you want that.

Honestly though, I just want the 60s Stones to get a decent CD issue for a change. The original ones apparently had a lot of issues, and the modern ones are a giant hodgepodge, since they decided to release both the American and British variations of albums. It might also be nice to get all the mono mixes on CD officially. I mean, they did it for the Beatles, then Dylan, then the Kinks, then they even did it for Johnny Cash. It's time guys for the Stones.

Edit: Also, in high school, I got one detention. The man who gave me that detention plays trumpet for the Rolling Stones on their tours. Yeah, I'm a badass.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 17, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I just fell on a big collection of 45s from my girlfriends mom's friend. She was moving out of her house and we were taking some shelves down for ourselves when I saw a few thrashed Beach Boys albums and I asked if she had any phonograph equipment. She told she had gotten rid of most of her albums and record player but then came out with a massive box of 45s she had collected.
An impressive collection of a couple hundred records in about 8 of those 45 boxes from 65-69 completely labeled with her name and labeled sleeves with sometimes handwritten notes about date of purchase. Although it's not all in great condition, one or two of the boxes are still in good condition, she was the original owner of all the records and surprisingly most of the best stuff is just a little dusty.
I love 45s but my collection is mostly 70s and even a lot of disposable 80s stuff. This is a great Mono/Stereo collection of all kinds of stuff from the sixties.

The stuff beside the record player is a little bit of my old 45 collection, I had a box with the same box design as a bunch from the score.

Some of the picture sleeves, Al Wilson- The Snake on Soul City, Otis Redding on Stax/Volt

That picture of Brian Jones on the Let's Spend the Night Together sleeve is priceless. He is definitely my favorite member of that band, and although some of the later albums were a little lacking they had a ton of great singles of the decades they have been together.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Nice. When my great aunt died, and they were going through her house, I was given her collection of 45s because everyone knew I collected records. That was about 2-300 45s, from the late 50s to the mid 60s. A lot of great doo-wop and early rock n roll in there. I still haven't explored it all. Love little treasure troves like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Honestly, even the 80s Stones have some pretty decent tracks. I mean, you can hate on the Harlem Shuffle all you want, but that doesn't mean that it ain't a good song. In fact, I can't think of a single era of the Stones that really is a complete wash... although I think most people don't really care about their new stuff.

As for the 60s Stones, if you get the American records, before Aftermath, make sure it is in mono, since I believe the stereo versions are all fake stereo. And I heard that the UK mono Satanic Majesties Request is a fold and that the American is a dedicated version, so you know where to go too if you want that.

Honestly though, I just want the 60s Stones to get a decent CD issue for a change. The original ones apparently had a lot of issues, and the modern ones are a giant hodgepodge, since they decided to release both the American and British variations of albums. It might also be nice to get all the mono mixes on CD officially. I mean, they did it for the Beatles, then Dylan, then the Kinks, then they even did it for Johnny Cash. It's time guys for the Stones.

Edit: Also, in high school, I got one detention. The man who gave me that detention plays trumpet for the Rolling Stones on their tours. Yeah, I'm a badass.

The CD/SACD hybrid reissues from the early 2000s have separate UK and US versions if you're into that sort of thing.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Get everything from aftermath to exile and gently caress the rest.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Wilbur Swain posted:

Get everything from aftermath to exile and gently caress the rest.

And Some Girls. Some Girls is good.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ugh, add me to the list of people who got burned by Pop Market.

I had a good experience with them in the past, but I just had the thing everyone has been trashing them about happen. I ordered the Raphael Saadiq bundle they had yesterday, it was listed as in stock. They received my order, took payment. Now the order says "Item is temporarily back ordered"

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a refund from them? That's so sketchy.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Around this time last year Best Buy had a huge online sale on vinyl - I got The Who's Who's Next for $6, and Green Day's Dookie for $5. Any idea if that was a one time thing (as they were starting to remove vinyl from their stores, at least in my area), or do they tend to do that every year?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 18, 2013

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So vinylscrobbler.com was put up recently, and lets you create a database of your vinyl so you can scrobble to Last.fm if you are into that sort of poo poo. I've got a bunch of LPs that aren't in Last.fm's database, though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

grilldos posted:

So vinylscrobbler.com was put up recently, and lets you create a database of your vinyl so you can scrobble to Last.fm if you are into that sort of poo poo. I've got a bunch of LPs that aren't in Last.fm's database, though.

The site seems to have poo poo the bed but it looks pretty cool.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Jesus I'm old and out of touch. Wtf is a scrobble?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Oldstench posted:

Jesus I'm old and out of touch. Wtf is a scrobble?

A made-up word for tracking what you listen to on your computer to a website like last.fm, so you can see what artists/songs/etc you listen to the most often/show off how great your taste is to the entire internet.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Ugh, add me to the list of people who got burned by Pop Market.

I had a good experience with them in the past, but I just had the thing everyone has been trashing them about happen. I ordered the Raphael Saadiq bundle they had yesterday, it was listed as in stock. They received my order, took payment. Now the order says "Item is temporarily back ordered"

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get a refund from them? That's so sketchy.

I still haven't received the White Stripes bundle I ordered back in November, though I looked it up just then and it's "shipping soon".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Someone just offered me $100 for my Modest Mouse - Night On The Sun EP and I'm... doubting whether or not to.

For sentimental reasons. Even though I never listen to it anymore, the music meant a lot to me during my late teens.

Am I being a sentimental fool?

e: 150 now...

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 19, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Someone just offered me $100 for my Modest Mouse - Night On The Sun EP and I'm... doubting whether or not to.

For sentimental reasons. Even though I never listen to it anymore, the music meant a lot to me during my late teens.

Am I being a sentimental fool?
You can make $100 in other ways but you can never buy back your youth, man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

You can make $100 in other ways but you can never buy back your youth, man.

Like, all the songs on that EP or on Everywhere And His Nasty Parlor Tricks which I also own.

$150 for those four songs is an amazing deal. Why am I having trouble with this.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

$150 for those four songs is an amazing deal. Why am I having trouble with this.

Because you don't want to sell it. If you don't need the cash why bother?

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Think of how many other great/rare records $150 can bring. No brainer to me.

VV very well played sir VV

Bliggers- fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 19, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I did it. Why? Because the guy was looking specifically for my UK pressing. He's paid me 150 + shipping and he's sending me his old US copy in return as well.

Today was a good day :)

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

Hah, that's wierd. Is there some difference between the US and UK version?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

Around this time last year Best Buy had a huge online sale on vinyl - I got The Who's Who's Next for $6, and Green Day's Dookie for $5. Any idea if that was a one time thing (as they were starting to remove vinyl from their stores, at least in my area), or do they tend to do that every year?

It was probably a one time deal. In fact it was hilariously stupid what they did. They decided to liquidate all their vinyl stock. So lots of stuff was dirt cheap. So naturally a lot of people bought poo poo. Then a few days later all the big selling titles were marked up to two and three times their original prices (or even more because I saw some Sabbath and Hendrix reissues priced at 65 dollars). I guess some moron figured "Well if this stuff is is popular, we ought to jack up the prices.".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm hoping to get Converge's Axe to Fall limited edition clear vinyl LP off ebay for $5 in the next 20 hours provided that no sonofabitch realises that it's there :swoon: