Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Ugh, I'm going to have to disassemble all of my lines and figure out what the hell is going on - I just emptied a 10# CO2 canister after a month, most of which I've been preoccupied with the Bar Exam. Obviously I've got a leak somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugh, I'm going to have to disassemble all of my lines and figure out what the hell is going on - I just emptied a 10# CO2 canister after a month, most of which I've been preoccupied with the Bar Exam. Obviously I've got a leak somewhere.

Any reason you can't get a new tank, turn it up to full, and use a squirt bottle full of soapy water?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

My BAR exams usually involve seeing how many different beers I can drink!(See what I did there with the words? Good Luck).

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Label Peelers. I will now have enough 1 gallon Mead batches going to have a constant supply, being able to have a new gallon finish every month while another begins. This is my favorite paradox if it can be called that. I'll also be making KotiKalja (Thanks Divine Shadow) for a quick something else every once and a while, probs have to bring it in to work since I don't know if drinking 2 gallons of it in 4 days is healthy.

Shadow: Most of the online recipes say that its only good for 3-4 days in the fridge. Is this true or can that be combated by letting it ferment an extra day or two before bottling?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From what I've heard it doesn't turn undrinkable or bad after so and so much time, the yeast just eats all the sugar and the taste turns into something else. More beer like I've heard. This is my first time trying it out. Commercial kotikalja is pasteurized and back sweetened (often with old fashioned saccharine) to last. I guess you could do something like that at home too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RagingBoner posted:

Any reason you can't get a new tank, turn it up to full, and use a squirt bottle full of soapy water?

I did that last time and I didn't find anything.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
How do you identify infection in mead or beer?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Who Dat posted:

If one hasn't previously seen a floating mold colony, pellicle, or vinegar mother, there's a decent chance they'd have trouble telling it apart from yeast rafts, hop gunk, or wads of protein. Molds probably the easiest because everyone's seen moldy bread.

So the best way is to really just taste a sample. Smell can tell half the story but regular old yeast can have some pretty lovely primary flavors that can vent off before you've got proper beer. You can notice certain infections from the crashing gravity too.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

zedprime posted:

Smell can tell half the story
Just don't stick your head in the Goddamn pail and inhale deeply :argh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Who Dat posted:

It generally tastes pretty foul.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
The only legitimate infect that I think I've ever had was many colors, fuzzy, and both the smell and taste made you consider calling a doctor about exposure to dangerous chemicals.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Who Dat posted:

If your talking about that mead you made a few weeks ago, it ain't done yet. Let it age and the harsh tastes will smooth out.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Marshmallow Blue posted:

If your talking about that mead you made a few weeks ago, it ain't done yet. Let it age and the harsh tastes will smooth out.

Oh, no. I mean yeah that mead. It tastes fine, but I saw some white stuff floating on the top. Looks like yeast though, idk.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I had something like that on my mead, too. I am sure it's just yeast, as mine looks, smells, and tastes great.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Fun surprise: opening the valve on your kettle to drain the strike water into your mash tun, and having two cone hops come flying out after apparently hiding inside the ball valve for the past two months. I need to get a screen on this thing.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I am getting ready to brew my Belgian tripel and got some of that "blow the airlock" Trappist yeast. Should I still make a starter? Will that blow the airlock too? I'm aiming for a 1.090 OG when it's all said and done.

I'm scared. Hold me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

he1ixx posted:

I am getting ready to brew my Belgian tripel and got some of that "blow the airlock" Trappist yeast. Should I still make a starter? Will that blow the airlock too? I'm aiming for a 1.090 OG when it's all said and done.

I'm scared. Hold me.

Making a starter is about having the proper amount of yeast as to not stress out the yeast and potentially give off off-flavors or finish early. I don't think it will have anything to do with blowing off the airlock or not.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

he1ixx posted:

I'm scared. Hold me.

Unless you have like three packs of yeast, yes you need a pretty big starter.

(Also try a blowoff tube)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Angry Grimace posted:

Unless you have like three packs of yeast, yes you need a pretty big starter.

(Also try a blowoff tube)

I'll make a starter then. I just wasn't sure if the high activity of the yeast obviated the need for a starter as well.

Will the starter need a blowoff tube too? I'm assuming no but I have a hard time wrapping my head around this yeast. I just want to be prepared!

On another note, I built my keezer today. Perlicks are installed and it looks great. No more picnic taps for me!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

he1ixx posted:

Will the starter need a blowoff tube too?

I stopped using airlocks/foam stoppers on my starters because they're usually more trouble than they're worth (and kind of overkill). Now I just use a sanatized piece of tinfoil, which works perfectly fine and makes it easier to continually aerate and let off CO2 so you don't run into a blowoff situation.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What is the little standoff spacer piece that goes between the draft tower and faucet called? Mine is plastic and it broke and I want to replace it with a metal one.

Just tapped a half barrel of Sierra Nevada. Delicious. The only problem is the faucet valve seems really touchy and I'm afraid to attach my Sierra Nevada tap handle to it because the weight makes it seem like it would turn on by itself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Brewing a Spotted Cow clone right now and while I'm mashing I'm assembling all my various bits and pieces of equipment I need and.....poo poo, I'm missing two pieces of my three piece airlock. I've got a stopper but no tubing small enough to stuff in it to fashion a blowoff tube. I do have a sour beer in secondary right now that's probably not throwing off much CO2, should I steal that one for the night and slap on some sanitized foil? Or I guess I could just wait to pitch the yeast tomorrow morning? The homebrew store opens at noon.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I would just put the airlock on and cover the opening with tinfoil until you can get one from the homebrew shop tomorrow. This is assuming you have the base of the airlock and are missing the tophat and lid.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Josh Wow posted:

I would just put the airlock on and cover the opening with tinfoil until you can get one from the homebrew shop tomorrow. This is assuming you have the base of the airlock and are missing the tophat and lid.

You would be correct! And goddammit I know the other pieces are here somewhere, they couldn't have just walked away. :mad:

Edit: Oh hey, I realized I can stuff some tubing into the base of the airlock too, thereby fashioning a blowoff tube. I guess I will do that!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 17, 2013

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I do my starters in a 2L Erlenmeyer flask on a stir plate with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil left barely open. I've never had an issue pitching infected yeast.

I'll even let it stir for 30-60min open to oxygenate the starter wort before pitching the vial.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Oh hey, I realized I can stuff some tubing into the base of the airlock too, thereby fashioning a blowoff tube. I guess I will do that!

Congrats you now have the same blowoff assembly I've used for the last three or so beers I've made. One of these days I will get around to making a less restrictive blow off assembly but :effort: This one works pretty well.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Who Dat posted:

The most obvious (and common) ones look like this

or this

If you have a plastic ale bucket, you're kind of poo poo out of luck for determining whether or not it's infected until you open it up in the latter stages of fermentation. If you're worried because of a "rotten egg" smell, don't, because that's just how some yeasts smell in the first few days.

Just sanitize the poo poo out of everything and you generally shouldn't have any problems.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Careful with kegerators guys, mine just leaked into my basement straight from a faucet that was off.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I just pitched S-04 into 5.5 gallons of 1.070 wort with very little head space, 12 drops of Fermcap is going to keep me safe, right guys? :ohdear:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Probably depends on ambient temp more than anything. That is a good yeast though, smells amazing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

revmoo posted:

Probably depends on ambient temp more than anything. That is a good yeast though, smells amazing.

I'm not a fan of S04 fermented at anything higher than like 68. You wouldn't think a couple degrees makes a big difference but it really does.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

revmoo posted:

Careful with kegerators guys, mine just leaked into my basement straight from a faucet that was off.

Lol what?

Brewed up a Rye Pilsner today and dropped it into a buddy's fridge. Smelled drat nice. First lager, no idea about temperatures during fermentation - who has the best advice? Palmer?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One time, my cat pushed open a faucet while I was away on vacation, vented a nearly-full keg and my full CO2 tank, too. That'll teach me to use a dildo as a tap handle. :saddowns:

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Jacobey000 posted:

Lol what?

Brewed up a Rye Pilsner today and dropped it into a buddy's fridge. Smelled drat nice. First lager, no idea about temperatures during fermentation - who has the best advice? Palmer?

What specific yeast did you use?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

internet celebrity posted:

I just pitched S-04 into 5.5 gallons of 1.070 wort with very little head space, 12 drops of Fermcap is going to keep me safe, right guys? :ohdear:

I'd prep for blowoff just in case. I used 2 packets of S-04 per fermenter in an Imperial Stout and it did not just blow the airlocks, it blew the lids off the buckets and coated the entire inside of my ferment fridge with a fine layer of yeast goop. Granted, I did not have any Fermcap in, but that stuff is beastly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just finished brewing, not sure how successful this batch is going to be. Going for a Spotted Cow clone, due to dumb math decisions its was supposed to be a 3.3gal batch, but even after 90min boil I ended up with 4gal...oops. Went to put my improvised blowoff tube onto my carboy and found that the bung I purchased recently was too small for it. :downs: Dumped it all into my 6gal bucket and stuffed it into my fermentation fridge. Even if it's not a successful clone it will probably still become beer.

Now to clean up!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jo3sh posted:

I'd prep for blowoff just in case. I used 2 packets of S-04 per fermenter in an Imperial Stout and it did not just blow the airlocks, it blew the lids off the buckets and coated the entire inside of my ferment fridge with a fine layer of yeast goop. Granted, I did not have any Fermcap in, but that stuff is beastly.

Had this happen with a trappist yeast, except it was a huge tripel and it was in my brewbuddy's closet. Haha.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
The rye saison I brewed, oh, a month or so ago, is probably my favorite beer I've made so far. I think it can still be improved a bit, though. It was basically:

10 lb pilsner
3 lb rye
1 oz liberty @ 90
1 oz liberty @ 60
.5 oz liberty @ 30
1 oz Strisslespalt @ flameout
Double infusion at 122F for 30 mins, then 150F for 90 mins, fermented with Wyeast 3711 at 75F ramped up 2 degrees/day for 5 days, then left alone for a few weeks before crashing and kegging.

It finished at about 1.008. I decided not to do a sugar addition, because I wanted to keep the recipe fairly simple and I wanted to see how dry this yeast would go without it. Also, since it's not 105 degrees outside, I thought it'd be okay if it wasn't quite as dry. It's also already towards the bigger end of the style, so I didn't really want much more alcohol anyway. The double infusion was just to get a feel for this equipment, this is only my 3rd all-grain beer and I just wanted to see if I could nail the temps (I came sort of close).

I'd probably scale back the hops considerably next time. I'm not really getting much flavor from the liberty hops, just a sort of vague bitterness. I think it butts up against all the character from the yeast, so maybe that's why it's hard to tell what exactly the hop flavor is like. I think I'd probably use the same fermentation schedule, the yeast really shines on this and is nice and funky and every beer I pull seems to be just a little bit different. Sometimes citrus, sometimes hints of banana, sometimes really bready. Maybe it's just me and my palate, but I don't really care, I like it a lot.

Anyway, it finished really cloudy, even though I cold crashed at about 34 for a few days before kegging. Is this just something that goes with using rye (first time brewing with rye), or is it likely something else? The yeast, maybe?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Who Dat posted:

Oh, no. I mean yeah that mead. It tastes fine, but I saw some white stuff floating on the top. Looks like yeast though, idk.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had films on the top of a few batches and they turned out fine. Just be careful when racking not to disturb it too much and avoid sucking it up at the end.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Sirotan posted:

Even if it's not a successful clone it will probably still become beer.

Now to clean up!

Every brew day of mine in a nutshell! haha.

I'm currently trying to make some cider with Nottingham yeast. I really want to lock down a standard juice/yeast combo I can use then get fun hehe. Last time I used Honeycrisp apple cider, which I love, but it is MEGA-holy-crap one dimensional when its fermented. Shan't be trying that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jacobey000 posted:

Lol what?

I've done a few pilsners on the below schedule to good effect. There's probably some shortcuts you can take but lagers are just kind of a long, slow pain in the dick which is why there are so few craft examples--they tie up valuable tank space for many months.

* Chill wort to about 46F. Pitch yeast, set thermostat to 50. Yeast activity will raise the temp.
* Let primary fermentation run for a couple weeks.
* When it's about done, ramp thermostat up to 60 for a couple days for a diacetyl rest. You should get noticeable airlock activity when you do, and a gravity drop of up to another .008 or so.
* After a couple days, start dropping the temp by like 5 degrees a day until you're down around freezing.
* Rack to keg, continue to lager near freezing in the keg for 2 months.

These were all with WLP800, different yeasts will respond differently I'm sure. This yeast is funny, it sits and sits and sits in suspension then suddenly one day it all drops out and you can read the newspaper through a glass of the beer. The before and after taste difference is night and day. If it's being a bitch and taking too long you can cheat with gelatin of course but then it's not REINHEITSGEBOT :hitler: