Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I'm chiming in to say thank you to Escape Artist and Jerusalem for these amazing write-ups. It's great that you're updating the OP with links to each one as it's going to get difficult to track these down as the thread grows.

It's been a good 4 years now since I've watched The Wire in its entirety, and I think now's the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Boywhiz88 posted:

And the symbolism is that they're working against each other without realizing it.

As Jerusalem pointed out, this is an allegory for the BPD. David Simon has even said as much.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Parachute Underwear posted:

Man. Just watched the episode where Prez shoots that cop on accident. There's that closing scene where he's at the office, sitting there and looking at all their work and the equipment for the last time. Every time I see that scene, all I can hear is McNulty's, "I had such fuckin' hopes for us." :smith:

I've just reached that point as well, and it's probably only the second time where McNulty realises that his loving crusade to be the smartest guy in the shop is actually having consequences (the other being when Kima got shot). Jimmy's progression over season three is wonderful though as he becomes a bigger arsehole as time goes on. Daniels rips him, Lester tears him a new one twice, and the coup de grace comes when he talks to Breanna about D'Angelo not being a suicide. Here's a grieving mother and he basically flat out tells her "yeah, you made him take the years, and if he had flipped he would be alive, this is all your fault and you don't care at all". It's just such a crowning moment of arseholeishness (though what's worse is that McNulty's speech is more than likely true) that then after that point, Jimmy gets taken down peg after peg until he's sitting in the homicide department, hears Jay ripping Prez and walks out a broken man. He's officially done. Oh and one more thing - when he finds out about Hamsterdam, he has this little exchange with Bunny: "do the bosses know?" "gently caress the bosses!" I wonder where he learnt his insubordinate tendencies, and of course THAT harks back to Daniel's speech to Carver at the end of season one about "piece of poo poo lieutenants turning out piece of poo poo sargeants"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just traced it back - on January 31st, I finished season 2. Tonight I will finish season 5. Zzzooooooom!!

The best moment of the entire series - Daniels and McNulty ride an elevator in silence. "To be continued."

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've just reached that point as well, and it's probably only the second time where McNulty realises that his loving crusade to be the smartest guy in the shop is actually having consequences (the other being when Kima got shot). Jimmy's progression over season three is wonderful though as he becomes a bigger arsehole as time goes on. Daniels rips him, Lester tears him a new one twice, and the coup de grace comes when he talks to Breanna about D'Angelo not being a suicide. Here's a grieving mother and he basically flat out tells her "yeah, you made him take the years, and if he had flipped he would be alive, this is all your fault and you don't care at all". It's just such a crowning moment of arseholeishness (though what's worse is that McNulty's speech is more than likely true) that then after that point, Jimmy gets taken down peg after peg until he's sitting in the homicide department, hears Jay ripping Prez and walks out a broken man. He's officially done. Oh and one more thing - when he finds out about Hamsterdam, he has this little exchange with Bunny: "do the bosses know?" "gently caress the bosses!" I wonder where he learnt his insubordinate tendencies, and of course THAT harks back to Daniel's speech to Carver at the end of season one about "piece of poo poo lieutenants turning out piece of poo poo sargeants"

McNulty was completely on the mark with his behavior to Brianna. She's no De'Londa Brice or Wallace's mother, but she's not far from the mark. She shaped the destiny of D'angelo more so than even Avon and drove him to his ruin. She's not a good person dude. The kindest thing you can say in her defense is she was shaped by forces and institutions beyond her control but that doesn't exonerate her for the way she behaves.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Yeah actually to the contrary, I would say that was one of McNulty's BETTER moments. Brianna completely deserved the smackdown he lays, and as you point out he is correct. He even says he's sorry for bringing it up again because he knows nobody will give a poo poo except him, it's just another one of his smartest-gently caress-in-the-room exercises. (Though I wonder what he'd think if he knew that his investigation would eventually be a direct catalyst to the collapse of the Barksdale empire.)

Really the only difference between D'Angelo's mom and Namond's mom (who might be the most repugnant character in the entire series) is that D'Angelo had more agency, whereas Namond required a miracle.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

On the drive home, I had a random thought. Prop Joe infuriated me during season 5. He went out of his way to become disposable, how did he not see that? The guy was the only connect to a consistent flow of narcotics and after all those seasons, he decided to give it up to some young punk. I don't get it.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

escape artist posted:

I don't think he lives because of Omar's promise to Bunk, but rather, because Omar believed Slim. At that point, Omar's promise to Bunk has been nullified in Omar's mind.

Omar also executes Savino on principle in public. At that point he couldn't care less about his promise to Bunk.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

ChikoDemono posted:

On the drive home, I had a random thought. Prop Joe infuriated me during season 5. He went out of his way to become disposable, how did he not see that? The guy was the only connect to a consistent flow of narcotics and after all those seasons, he decided to give it up to some young punk. I don't get it.

I wouldn't say he willingly gave up anything, he feared for his life after Marlo starting asking questions about security for the shipment and wanted to meet the Greek.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I don't remember the sequence of events there, I thought Cheese's betrayal is what kills Joe because he's already on his way out of Baltimore to get away from Omar.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Fellis posted:

I don't remember the sequence of events there, I thought Cheese's betrayal is what kills Joe because he's already on his way out of Baltimore to get away from Omar.

This is correct. And the Greeks also give the go-ahead, too.

Sergai helped them get in contact with the Greeks. Cheese betrayed Joe. And the Greeks gave Marlo the go-ahead to kill Joe.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

cletepurcel posted:

Yeah actually to the contrary, I would say that was one of McNulty's BETTER moments. Brianna completely deserved the smackdown he lays, and as you point out he is correct. He even says he's sorry for bringing it up again because he knows nobody will give a poo poo except him, it's just another one of his smartest-gently caress-in-the-room exercises.

As a counterpoint: that was the moment I realized what a total gently caress McNulty is.

For most of the first season, I thought of him as an archetype. You know. The Loose Cannon Who Doesn't Respect Authority. And I admired the way the show went about demonstrating that archetype, because (at that time) I thought the series was still just a cop show. So things like him doing Lead and Follow with his kids, or his drinking, or his habit of going behind people's backs--all that, I thought it was just demonstrating a character we'd already seen in a new way. So I kind of admired it.

But when he talks to D's mom and completely loving ruins her, that was the point where I stopped thinking of him as an archetype, started thinking of him as a person, and actively started hating him. I mean, no one with any shred of human loving decency would say that to a grieving mother. She already fears it, and a part of her already knows it, but it's the dickest of dick moves--especially coming from someone in authority--to actively say, "Yeah, he died because of you."

He was right, I agree. But he's also a perfect example of how being right and being good aren't the same thing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

3Romeo posted:

As a counterpoint: that was the moment I realized what a total gently caress McNulty is.

For most of the first season, I thought of him as an archetype. You know. The Loose Cannon Who Doesn't Respect Authority. And I admired the way the show went about demonstrating that archetype, because (at that time) I thought the series was still just a cop show. So things like him doing Lead and Follow with his kids, or his drinking, or his habit of going behind people's backs--all that, I thought it was just demonstrating a character we'd already seen in a new way. So I kind of admired it.

But when he talks to D's mom and completely loving ruins her, that was the point where I stopped thinking of him as an archetype, started thinking of him as a person, and actively started hating him. I mean, no one with any shred of human loving decency would say that to a grieving mother. She already fears it, and a part of her already knows it, but it's the dickest of dick moves--especially coming from someone in authority--to actively say, "Yeah, he died because of you."

He was right, I agree. But he's also a perfect example of how being right and being good aren't the same thing.

Why not place the shame where it belongs? D was going to have a brand new life. She kept him from the life she could never provide for her. And it did get him killed. Because she wanted to keep her brother's drug empire, of which she was an active part and beneficiary, alive.

She sold her son out. gently caress Brianna Barksdale.

Let's not forget. Brianna sought Jimmy out. And this was a year after D's death. It's not like he went knocking on her door. He purposefully avoided her, and when she asked why, the truth hit her like a ton of bricks.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Not disagreeing. She told her son to take one for the team because that team gave her the life she'd grown accustomed to. All of her talk of family meant "what's good for me," which is a selfish-as-gently caress justification.

All that said: she knows it. And any decent person would've avoided saying that to her. McNulty isn't a decent person. In point of fact, he takes pride in lording it up over other people in those earlier seasons. He's happiest when he's loving somebody else, either in a case, in the court, or in the office. It's how he proves he's the best. (This isn't exactly a newsflash, I know, but it's who he is: he has to be right. In everything.)

Brianna isn't a good person, but she knows what she did lead to her son's death. Taking that knowledge and flaunting it in front of her, while (maybe) being something she deserved, doesn't make McNulty a good guy for doing it. If anything, it proves what a gently caress he is.

edit: rewatching the scene, he almost gleefully shows her the postmortem shots of D's neck. I'd call that flaunting at worst and inconsiderate at best. She's vile, but he's rubbing her nose in it. While it's justified, that doesn't make him a good person.

goin for dat double edit: It's a loving brilliant scene. When Bri goes to wipe the tears away you see everything her money bought: gold watches, rings, nice nails--they all rattle around.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 16, 2013

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.
I'm somewhere in between on this.

I don't see her as being as bad as Namond's mother, because the sense I got from Brianna is that she really did regard this as a family business and that protecting the family and the business was the way of life she was raised into. Namond's mother was strictly about herself. So it does come back to being a product of her environment. Furthermore if D had gotten with the family program he would've probably gotten out much earlier. But he took a course she didn't expect him to take.

For all that, she was a knowing part of a ruthless and murderous criminal syndicate so she's only sympathetic to an extent.

As for McNulty's end of it, I didn't see his conversation with her as being deliberately malicious on his part. He was basically calling it like he saw it in a very nonchalant fashion. From his point of view, she didn't come across as being a caring mother. It was more of a "I was trying to do a thing here, but nobody gave a poo poo, so gently caress it. My life goes on just fine."

No mistake, McNulty's an rear end in a top hat and not just the gaping chasm that we all possess. But this wasn't him being overtly malicious. It's just a byproduct of his eternal frustration with anything that gets in the way of him winning a round in the game, maybe tinged with a bit of genuine liking for D.

Although I'm not sure if he really connected with D and liked him the way he genuinely came to like Bodie. That may have been an affectation on his part, part of the cops and robbers game.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Again, though, she didn't learn anything in the room that she wasn't already ruminating over. She went to see him to confirm what she thought happened.

It's hard to say whether initially Jimmy had motive beyond "telling someone who cared about the kid," to paraphrase him, and String and Avon are probably right that he's trying to drive a wedge in there but that doesn't mean both options aren't possible at the same time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What episode is that, by the way, so I can re-watch the scene for better discussion?

One thing I remember is that Brianna asks McNulty "why didn't you come to me (and instead go to Donette) with this? He says he wanted to go to someone who actually cared about D. It's harsh, but it's true. What else could he have said?

I think this part is maybe middle of the road rear end in a top hat for McNulty. He's growing at that point, but he hasn't made his full conversion like when he legitimately feels remorse for losing Bodie, someone he consider somewhat of a friend. Remember in Season 1 when he finds out Wallace is dead, he's pissed because it ruins the case against Stringer, and Daniels glares at him (because Daniels sees Wallace as a person, not just a means to an end). The second season, he went out of his way to find any information he could about one of the dead immigrant prostitutes. Not for any reason other than to give her family the information, and to give himself some peace of mind. ("Have you seen what they do with the unidentified bodies at the morgue?")

We watch McNulty grow and falter throughout the series.

It's hard to say whether initially Jimmy had motive beyond "telling someone who cared about the kid," to paraphrase him, and String and Avon are probably right that he's trying to drive a wedge in there but that doesn't mean both options aren't possible at the same time.
This is how I feel. It's a little bit from Column A, a little from Column B.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

escape artist posted:

What episode is that, by the way, so I can re-watch the scene for better discussion?

Moral Midgetry (3x08).

Out of episode context, here's the youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHuCn34NMl8

(Great discussion, by the way.)

cause I feel like editing my posts like a motherfucker: I know that season 3 gets a lot of flak for being largely unrealistic,* but there are some great, great scenes. Marlo's first appearance in 3x01 is literally everything the audience needs to know about his character in less than ten words.

*Bunny's attempt to legalize drugs not being discovered, Omar and Muzone's team-up of the century, not to mention the in-your-face symbolism of the towers going down and Slim's line about fighting wars on lies

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 16, 2013

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Again, though, she didn't learn anything in the room that she wasn't already ruminating over. She went to see him to confirm what she thought happened.

Oh yeah, I'm sure at the time he initiated the whole thing by going to Donette he was working the case and trying to drive a wedge in to get her or somebody to flip. It's just that by the time he sees Brianna he's already filed it away under a lost cause and really doesn't give a gently caress. It's not that he's looking to kick her much, my take is that he's just being matter-of-fact. Brianna was in the life, Brianna convinced D to take the years. He was hoping that Donette, who as far as he knew was just the girlfriend and had no active part in things, would be upset because her boyfriend and the father of her child got murdered. Hell for all he knew at the time he goes to Donette, Brianna might've been in on the whole thing.

I don't really think he ever gave a gently caress about D. In fact when you think about it Jimmy only really gets attached when he's out of the game- S2 when he's exiled to the harbor patrol gulag, and in S4 when he's walking the beat.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Randomly Specific posted:

Hell for all he knew at the time he goes to Donette, Brianna might've been in on the whole thing.

This is an interesting point. The more I think about it, the less I think he counted on Brianna raising a stink. The two people he could've gone to ended up having their priorities reversed.

The girlfriend and mother of D's child was now sleeping with the man who murdered him (although not to her knowledge) and more importantly, got over him. That, combined with Stringer's controlling personality, meant she wouldn't really do anything with that information.

The mother who had made D go to jail for a long time and shown no reason to give her the benefit of the doubt was actually not involved and wants to know.

Jimmy didn't know about the Donette-String relationship, so that hosed his initial plan. But he also didn't count on Brianna not knowing it was a murder, so it worked out for him in the end. Much to his surprise, too.

So yeah, a little bit from column A/B. I just don't think he figured Brianna would be the one to care when she'd shown no inclination to in the past from an outsider's perspective.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 16, 2013

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
The Corner is on hbo on demand until 2/27 for anyone who has it. Its only 6 hours so you can watch it in a single sitting.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

McNulty figures out Stringer turned on Avon at the end but its hard to say he knew the opposite happened too, he seemed to take it at face value that Marlo had Stringer killed (even though Bunk correctly offers Omar as a suspect). I don't think he knew his investigation would break apart the Barksdale organization, I mean he goes to all the effort to try and officially reclassify D as a murder even though he should know full well that no department will authorize it.

I mean for all he knew, Avon was behind the murder, he even intimates as much when he talks with Brianna.

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010
I've got a question about Season 3. In order to sell the wiretapped burners to Bernard, Lester pretends to be a conman. In order to prove it, he has Bernard dial a number and Lester memorizes it while pretending to talk on a phone. Exactly what sort of con is that? Ican't figure out how you could make money just from knowing the number someone dialed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SlimWhiskey posted:

I've got a question about Season 3. In order to sell the wiretapped burners to Bernard, Lester pretends to be a conman. In order to prove it, he has Bernard dial a number and Lester memorizes it while pretending to talk on a phone. Exactly what sort of con is that? Ican't figure out how you could make money just from knowing the number someone dialed.

He can remember the tone sounds.

e: The specific con is that he takes old phones and has bogus accounts set up, if I had to guess they assumed there was an "enter your credit card number" sort of billing scheme where he memorized the numbers.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 16, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He was listening for calling card numbers wasn't he?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

SlimWhiskey posted:

International travellers frequently have/had calling codes and numbers. So if you get the card number and access code, you can bill your long distance calls to somebody else.

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world
Yeah, it's the same as watching someone enter a password on computer, Lester was proving he could watch what Bernard was entering without standing so close as to make it obvious.

Closet Cyborg fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 17, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
He explains outright that he used to go to the airport and listen to the tones people used on their long distance calling cards. Then he'd go and sell those numbers to people so they could make long distances calls on someone else's dime.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Lester is so smooth in that scene.
Bernard: "We can do business."
Lester: *lights pipe and walks away* "Mmhmmm"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It is called shoulder surfing. He isn't listening to the tones but actually just covertly looking at Bernard pressing the keys.

Hence his comment about one number being either one or the other and he isn't quite sure due to the small keypads these days.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrBling posted:

It is called shoulder surfing. He isn't listening to the tones but actually just covertly looking at Bernard pressing the keys.

Hence his comment about one number being either one or the other and he isn't quite sure due to the small keypads these days.

Does Bernard know that he's shoulder surfing, or does Bernard think he's reading tones? I've always been confused because it seems like Lester is trying to hide it from Bernard. But it might just be to demonstrate how subtly he can do it.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

3Romeo posted:

Moral Midgetry (3x08).

Out of episode context, here's the youtube clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHuCn34NMl8

Out of context, honestly, I have no problem with this scene. She comes to see him. He's not flagging her down, telling her how awful she is as a mother, but in that room, his room, in his grounds? Yeah, gently caress you. Here's how it went. And yeah, it's your fault. gently caress you for asking.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've always wondered how Lester picked up that skill. Did he do it in his misspent youth or did he learn it as part of an investigation he did before the 13.33 years in the pawn shop unit? :confused:

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world

escape artist posted:

Does Bernard know that he's shoulder surfing, or does Bernard think he's reading tones? I've always been confused because it seems like Lester is trying to hide it from Bernard. But it might just be to demonstrate how subtly he can do it.

I assumed Bernard knew Lester was shoulder surfing, but Lester was demonstrating how well he could do it without attracting attention, thus showing that he's got experience in running that particular con.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I can't help but be impressed by Stringer throughout the show (or at least to point I'm at which is Season 2). I know how you know you guys to downplay his going to a community college and the basic econ class where he only got an A- on his paper. Let's say though Stringer or Mr. Russell Bell :colbert:
ended up not being killed (alternative reality Omar and Brother Mouzone both kill each other). Could String have really made it in the real world?

I can't quite guess his age but I'd say early 30s. Let's say he finishes community college transfers and goes to university of phoenix or better yet WGU. I think he would be smart enough to earn an MBA (why a drug kingpin would need one, who knows but he could have eventually done it.) If he had been born in suburbia it would be safe to say he'd incredibly successful but The King stay the King for those born in the slums.

Could Stringer have reached near legitimacy and what would he have ended up doing? I'd look up real life examples of drug kingpins in the US reaching legitimate status but I don't think any exist.

VVVVV

Dollhouse furniture $200 on ebay

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 17, 2013

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

deoju posted:

I've always wondered how Lester picked up that skill. Did he do it in his misspent youth or did he learn it as part of an investigation he did before the 13.33 years in the pawn shop unit? :confused:

I want to learn how he learned how to make doll house furniture (looks lucrative).

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

escape artist posted:

Lester is so smooth in that scene.
Bernard: "We can do business."
Lester: *lights pipe and walks away* "Mmhmmm"

Downtown Lester Smooth. Its the tweedy impertinence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DropsySufferer posted:

Could Stringer have reached near legitimacy and what would he have ended up doing? I'd look up real life examples of drug kingpins in the US reaching legitimate status but I don't think any exist.

As Prop Joe would say, the ones who got away with it you'll never have heard of, and neither will have anyone else. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who bought for a dollar, sold for two, made their money and got the gently caress out. Their names don't ring out on the street, but they're also above ground and nobody is coming after them with a gun or a badge.

I think Stringer's problem was that he was smart enough to see the potential in branching out and going legit, but was "spoiled" by his upbringing in the drug trade. He's so used to being in a position where he can say,"I want this done by this time and in this way," and people will make sure it is loving done. If they don't, they're either dead meat or discarded with an endless number of replacements ready to jump in and do the job the other person couldn't do. In the legit world, he was dealing with people who said one thing and did another, deadlines and schedules that shifted easily, people always asking for more money without actually doing anything because they could provide "connections".

I think eventually after a few stumbles he would have figured it out, taken his licks and swallowed his pride and eased the transition with help from the likes of Levy. He'd have given anything to be in Marlo's position at the end of the series, I'm sure. Would he have been successful? I think so, so long as he was able to fully go legit rather than trying to keep a foot in both camps.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan

JimBobDole posted:

I want to learn how he learned how to make doll house furniture (looks lucrative).

I think he probably picked it up while he was in the pawn shop.

Personally I always wondered how the hell he knew so much about money laundering and property laws (ie he knew the instant he saw the document that they could bust Clay Davis with the "headshot".)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

cletepurcel posted:

I think he probably picked it up while he was in the pawn shop.

Personally I always wondered how the hell he knew so much about money laundering and property laws (ie he knew the instant he saw the document that they could bust Clay Davis with the "headshot".)

Off topic, but a buddy of mine was in the same boat buying his first house. He'd had a steady job for 8 years and the payments were going to be 1/3rd of what he paid in rent in a similar neighborhood, but he just didn't have the $ for a down payment and the closing costs. He called me to tell me that his dad had loaned him some money and I said "Don't ever tell another living soul about that. It's illegal as a mother fucker."

Thanks, The Wire, for helping me keep my friend out of jail.