Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

soru posted:

What are you talking about?

Yeah, everything in Alloy of Law I can think of is either backed up from earlier in the text or from previous books (the whole compounding thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, everything in Alloy of Law I can think of is either backed up from earlier in the text or from previous books (the whole compounding thing).

Yeah, Brandon's biggest strength is building internally consistent magic systems. Everything builds upon something else. Once he establishes the basics, he starts doing crazy stuff by combining things in unexpected--but still consistent--ways.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, Brandon's biggest strength is building internally consistent magic systems. Everything builds upon something else. Once he establishes the basics, he starts doing crazy stuff by combining things in unexpected--but still consistent--ways.

In hindsight, it makes perfect sense that he's a compulsive Magic: The Gathering player.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I wasn't very impressed with the Sanderson "avalanche" though but maybe that's because I'm used to Erikson.

Not a real fair comparison. The entire Mistborn trilogy is like the size of one of the later Book of the Fallen installments, and there's 10 books in that, plus 5 full-length side stories and a full-length prequel. It's hard to match Erikson in scope, only Wheel of Time really compares and, frankly, it really doesn't. Sanderson does tell a much tighter story, though. Erikson tends to start and abandon plot threads pretty routinely.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Brandon just posted this on Facebook about Stormlight 2

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765326361?tag=monkeyslothst-20

quote:

This title will be released on November 12, 2013.

Now that I have high hopes, there's no turning back Brandon.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 13, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So this year he's got:

January 8 - A Memory of Light
May 14 - The Rithmatist
September 24 - Steelheart
November 12 - Stormlight 2

Clearly Brandon is more machine than man.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cicero posted:

September 24 - Steelheart

Wait, what's all this then?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yep. He's had the progress bar on his site for a while, and it has a date and cover on Amazon.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's his 'bad people get superpowers and regular people have to team up to kill them' book.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Superstring posted:

It's his 'bad people get superpowers and regular people have to team up to kill them' book.

Oh, the "I wrote this because someone cut me off on the interstate" book.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Oh Brandon Sanderson

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, just finished Mistborn and then Alloy of Law. Loved that poo poo from start to finish (but then I'm easy to please when it comes to books). Gonna read Elantris and Warbreaker next, then Way of Kings. New favorite author, for sure (and he might even cause me to actually get through Wheel if Time, too!)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: LOOK AT DAT FUCKIN HORSE :siren:

Preorder here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJGNICW

Book Description posted:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson: his debut novel for the young adult audience

More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Chosen by the Master in a mysterious inception ceremony, Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings—merciless creatures that leave mangled corpses in their wake. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles.

As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students study the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing—kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery—one that will change Rithmatics—and their world—forever.

Bestselling author Brandon Sanderson brings his unique brand of epic storytelling to the teen audience with an engrossing tale of danger and suspense—the first of a series. With his trademark skills in world-building, Sanderson has created a magic system that is so inventive and detailed that that readers who appreciate games of strategy and tactics just may want to bring Rithmatics to life in our world.

edit: this was linked above by another poster

Preorder here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steelheart-ebook/dp/B00ARHAAZ6

Book Description posted:

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn Trilogy, Brandon Sanderson, comes the first book in a new, action-packed thrill ride of a series—Steelheart.

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics . . . nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.

:munch:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 14, 2013

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I'm about a month late, but I've finally finished WoT after all this time (read books 1-9 ages ago, never bothered with the rest until I heard 14 was out, just marathoned them all from the beginning since then) and I'd like to say three things:

1)Sanderson absolutely does magic systems better than anybody else in fantasy right now. To take one example, RJ's concept of Traveling was a fairly standard 'people use magic portals to teleport' plot device that's been around in fantasy for ages. Sanderson turns this into gravity guns, remote artillery and invasion tactics in a believable way over a very short time period.

2)He's got a very nice show not tell writing style, but there are times it bogs down. Once in a while, a fight feels like he's trying to describe the sequence of buttons that must be pressed in Street Fighter to pull off a combo. It'd also help if he grounded the battle scenes a little bit more - not everyone in the book needs to be a super saiyan.

3)Despite that, anyone who put this series down in the middle out of braid tug frustration should go back and read it now, because at the start of 12, this happens:

quote:

Nynaeve reached up to her long, single braid—but stopped herself short of tugging on it. She was getting better about that.

:lol: Give the man credit.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Adar posted:

3)Despite that, anyone who put this series down in the middle out of braid tug frustration should go back and read it now, because at the start of 12, this happens:

:lol: Give the man credit.

That is the best thing I'eve ever seen. I'm just going through WOT right now for the first time (only on book 3), solely because I want to read the Brandon Sanderson Avalanche. Can't wait to get to his books!

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

That is the best thing I'eve ever seen. I'm just going through WOT right now for the first time (only on book 3), solely because I want to read the Brandon Sanderson Avalanche. Can't wait to get to his books!

I'm in the same boat, though finishing up book 2 right now.

Boy are these early 90s fantasy characters stupid

Sure we'll go through the Waygate with you Liandrin, I'm sure you're not Black Ajah or anything :downs:

Speaking of the Black Ajah, if Aes Sedai can't tell a lie why the gently caress don't they just ask every single one 'Are you a Black Ajah?' and warn them if they answer with anything other than a simple 'no' that they'll kill them.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm in the same boat, though finishing up book 2 right now.

Boy are these early 90s fantasy characters stupid

Sure we'll go through the Waygate with you Liandrin, I'm sure you're not Black Ajah or anything :downs:

Speaking of the Black Ajah, if Aes Sedai can't tell a lie why the gently caress don't they just ask every single one 'Are you a Black Ajah?' and warn them if they answer with anything other than a simple 'no' that they'll kill them.

Black Ajah can lie.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Haerc posted:

Black Ajah can lie.

Oh how convenient

(I'm going to be saying that a lot over the course of this series, aren't I?)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Oh how convenient

(I'm going to be saying that a lot over the course of this series, aren't I?)

Yes. Yes, you are. Especially in the last book. :v:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Eh, it makes some sense IMO. The mechanic is they are swearing three new oaths to Shai'tan which replace the ones they give to become Aes Sedai: Don't reveal any current plots that are in play by the Black Ajah, and to keep my secrets until the hour of my death(which comes into play later in the series). I don't think they ever reveal what the 3rd oath is.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Haerc posted:

Eh, it makes some sense IMO. The mechanic is they are swearing three new oaths to Shai'tan which replace the ones they give to become Aes Sedai: Don't reveal any current plots that are in play by the Black Ajah, and to keep my secrets until the hour of my death(which comes into play later in the series). I don't think they ever reveal what the 3rd oath is.

If my understanding of book 9 (I think) was correct, the Oath Rod can be used to remove previously binding oaths, even without swearing new ones

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

kznlol posted:

If my understanding of book 9 (I think) was correct, the Oath Rod can be used to remove previously binding oaths, even without swearing new ones

Does the black ajah actually use the Oath Rod? I'm re-reading the books so I can finally get to the last one. I'm only on 7 and have probably forgot a bunch of stuff.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Haerc posted:

Does the black ajah actually use the Oath Rod? I'm re-reading the books so I can finally get to the last one. I'm only on 7 and have probably forgot a bunch of stuff.

There's at least one other rod that seems to be something like an Oath Rod, so its possible that they have one to themselves, but that hasn't been confirmed in what I've read, so I don't know for sure.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Adar posted:

1)Sanderson absolutely does magic systems better than anybody else in fantasy right now. To take one example, RJ's concept of Traveling was a fairly standard 'people use magic portals to teleport' plot device that's been around in fantasy for ages. Sanderson turns this into gravity guns, remote artillery and invasion tactics in a believable way over a very short time period.
True, I loved some of the stuff people did with Traveling in the last book.

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do. The reason they swear exactly three new oaths (besides the obvious "ensure loyalty" thing) is to keep the signature Aes Sedai ageless face so they don't stand out from the others. So it certainly sounds like they're using an Oath Rod, even if it's not the same one.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The oath rod is actually a rod of binding which was used on criminals in the age of legend. I think somewhere someone mentions the nine rods of domination which might be the same thing.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Ika posted:

The oath rod is actually a rod of binding which was used on criminals in the age of legend. I think somewhere someone mentions the nine rods of domination which might be the same thing.

Yeah, I remember that, Sammael talks with Graendal about it at some point IIRC. Also, there is supposedly a chair of binding, which will work on non-channelers (I don't think it's ever actually shown).

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Haerc posted:

Yeah, I remember that, Sammael talks with Graendal about it at some point IIRC. Also, there is supposedly a chair of binding, which will work on non-channelers (I don't think it's ever actually shown).

The Nine Rods of Dominion is just a fancy way of saying that Lews Therin could call forth all the rulers of the world (presumably nine of them) and basically do a first among equals type meeting. It's made a bit clearer in the last book, but it's something in a blog or Q&A Jordan did at some point.

ETA: I'm almost certain the Chair of Binding is used in the middle of the series as a means of questioning the black ajah.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

SerSpook posted:

ETA: I'm almost certain the Chair of Binding is used in the middle of the series as a means of questioning the black ajah.

I thought that was the chair of remorse?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Haerc posted:

I thought that was the chair of remorse?

They might have called it that but I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't be a Chair of Binding. It's even used on criminals, just like the original was meant to be.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I think they are two separate things. :goonsay: I just looked, and according to the wiki, they are.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Different tools for different people, some ter'angreal can only work on people who can channel. Oath rods only work on female channelers, while the Chair of Remorse is basically a VR torture device.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xandu posted:

Is it just me or were the fight scenes involving Szeth weirdly mechanical compared to the rest of the book? Like I get that he wanted to introduce how the lashings worked, but none of those scenes really worked for me.

My brother refused to read past the Szeth scenes because he hated them so much.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Tunicate posted:

My brother refused to read past the Szeth scenes because he hated them so much.

I also thought they were weirdly mechanical at first, but on re-reading it I realize that it's actually a deep insight into Szeth's character that he knows the names and mechanics of the Lashings. All that knowledge should be completely lost, and he's one of the few in the world who knows it and maybe the only person in the world who can do it at that point. It's just that all that information isn't clear in Szeth's chapter, so it reads like a boring tutorial of a magic system that's completely pointless because no one else does it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

soru posted:

I also thought they were weirdly mechanical at first, but on re-reading it I realize that it's actually a deep insight into Szeth's character that he knows the names and mechanics of the Lashings. All that knowledge should be completely lost, and he's one of the few in the world who knows it and maybe the only person in the world who can do it at that point. It's just that all that information isn't clear in Szeth's chapter, so it reads like a boring tutorial of a magic system that's completely pointless because no one else does it.

I think you hit the nail on the head with what bugged me about that opening - it feels like the tutorial level in a video game.

PRESS X TO ACTIVATE FIRST LASHING

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
There's a Wheel of Time thread just so you know.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

subx posted:

There's a Wheel of Time thread just so you know.

Psssh yeah like I'm going to read that.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Just finished Warbreaker. Holy poo poo. The Sanderson avalanche was great, and getting my assumptions bitchslapped was pretty awesome.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just finished Mistborn on my second/third try (got bogged down in the first chapters previously) and I liked it well enough, up until part 4.

That ending wasn't really good, was it? :ohdear:

Or well, "too good" might describe it. Other words that come to mind: Rushed, Cringeworthy and "way to toss out all that interesting world/character building with the bath-water" (Lord Ruler, I'm looking at you).

The pacing of that whole part felt pretty off too. Guess its because its one of his earlier novels, but the plotting was way too tidy/checklist structured. Like, there were parts where the characters would sit down and LIST THE THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN* IN THIS BOOK. I'm glad he's somewhat dialed down on the Chekhov's gun stuff since.

*Or close enough.

Probably no new criticism from what I've picked up when skimming discussions on the book (wanted to avoid spoiler) but uh, yeah. My 50 cent. Enjoyable read though, despite the warts.

Maybe the sequels will surprise me? Gonna go read them next.

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis

Pimpmust posted:

Maybe the sequels will surprise me? Gonna go read them next.

Given his writing habits he probably wrote them all in pretty quick succession, so his style doesn't change much throughout the Mistborn trilogy, at least as I remember my own impressions of it, but it remains fun throughout. Book two suffers a little bit from middle-volume syndrome.

If you read some of his newer stuff (Way of Kings, Emperor's Soul), I think both his prose skill and his storytelling ability has improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Next time I reread Sanderson books, I'm going to put Elantris and Way of Kings right next to each other just to see the the spectacular improvement.