Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

priznat posted:

They do offer that in the Nordic countries iirc, and they've been positioning themselves more and more as competition for Netflix.. But I admit, it is a long shot.

I suspect (but am not sure) they don't either have the same contracts there, or can't get their channels listed directly.

In the US (and I also suspect Canada) the cable companies pay them directly, ontop of the % of the fees they take per month. They'd lost the direct funding, or % if they break those contracts. You'd end up paying like 100/mo just for hbo go or something crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Never going to happen.

Completely wrong. Its already semi-unbundled in a Quebec IPTV service with a lovely name I've forgotten. Cable cutting is accelerating rapidly in my admittedly small sample group, I only have one friend left that may or may not have cable. Everyone else loving hates it and is slapping together any AppleTV, hulu proxy, slingbox, Netflix and loaded USB drive solution they can. And these are 50 and 60 year olds, everyone I know thats 30 and under never had cable TV to cut in the first place after leaving university.

Canadian HBO-GO on demand will be up in Canada within 2 years as part of their stragegy towards loosening CableCo Inc's leverage over them in the states.

Edit: http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=fr&cont=iptv There is your Canadian HBO served over resold DSL. When HBO's little bundle costs $12.95 on top of at $20 TV package on top of minimal-margin DSL, it clearly will never cost "like 100/mo just for hbo go or something crazy."

I hate to be a dick, but I don't think you have any clue what adults pay for television services.

Tedgewick fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tedgewick posted:

Completely wrong. Its already semi-unbundled in a Quebec IPTV service with a lovely name I've forgotten. Cable cutting is accelerating rapidly in my admittedly small sample group, I only have one friend left that may or may not have cable. Everyone else loving hates it and is slapping together any AppleTV, hulu proxy, slingbox, Netflix and loaded USB drive solution they can. And these are 50 and 60 year olds, everyone I know thats 30 and under never had cable TV to cut in the first place after leaving university.

Canadian HBO-GO on demand will be up in Canada within 2 years as part of their stragegy towards loosening CableCo Inc's leverage over them in the states.

Edit: http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=fr&cont=iptv There is your Canadian HBO served over resold DSL. When HBO's little bundle costs $12.95 on top of at $20 TV package on top of minimal-margin DSL, it clearly will never cost "like 100/mo just for hbo go or something crazy."

I hate to be a dick, but I don't think you have any clue what adults pay for television services.

Errr, wait, if you're paying for TV service, that's cable, and if they sell you hbo on it, that's bundled...

So how does that link prove what you're trying to say?

I know lots of younger people who are taking the screw cable route, I also know lots of middle aged and late 20's who've not got a clue about any of that and still happily pay for cable.

My point is, if they dropped the requirement to have a tv service of some sort, like Bell, Rogers, Comcast, TWC, Cox, they'd have to up their subscription fees to cover the losses that cable (and other cable like mediums) pay that we (as consumers of the paid tv services) don't cover.

HBO makes money in two ways 1: Cable (sat, etc) pay money to have hbo on their network, 2: subscriptions from people who are paying for cable. The Cable companies more than likely have things in the contract that says hbo can't offer their services outside direct to consumers, and in return they pay them money.

If that part is gone, someone has to make up the difference. You're crazy if you believe they could continue to offer HBO at the 12-15 dollars a month that most people get it for, if it was just streaming.

As someone who did pay for cable for years, and still pays for it for their parents, I'm perfectly well aware of the costs that come with cable, etc. Thanks.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 17, 2013

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

Rawrbomb posted:

Errr, wait, if you're paying for TV service, that's cable, and if they sell you hbo on it, that's bundled...

So how does that link prove what you're trying to say?

I know lots of younger people who are taking the screw cable route, I also know lots of middle aged and late 20's who've not got a clue about any of that and still happily pay for cable.

My point is, if they dropped the requirement to have a tv service of some sort, like Bell, Rogers, Comcast, TWC, Cox, they'd have to up their subscription fees to cover the losses that cable (and other cable like mediums) pay that we (as consumers of the paid tv services) don't cover.

HBO makes money in two ways 1: Cable (sat, etc) pay money to have hbo on their network, 2: subscriptions from people who are paying for cable. The Cable companies more than likely have things in the contract that says hbo can't offer their services outside direct to consumers, and in return they pay them money.

If that part is gone, someone has to make up the difference. You're crazy if you believe they could continue to offer HBO at the 12-15 dollars a month that most people get it for, if it was just streaming.

As someone who did pay for cable for years, and still pays for it for their parents, I'm perfectly well aware of the costs that come with cable, etc. Thanks.

You are a complete loving idiot spreading misinformation that isn't applicable to Canada. You can't do any math, speak in childish absolutes and have no evidence to support an authoritarian perspective.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tedgewick posted:

My French is poor (as in 20+ years ago grade school so I used google translate) but don't you need the minimal adsl service and IPTV bundle on the top of that page at $70/month as a minimum? I don't see a $20 "tv package" there, or am I just missing it? Unless you mean that Trio package but I am assuming that's each for 3 TVs? :confused:

Also, is that on demand or live streaming? If it is streaming and you're forced to buy that other stuff to get it, it doesn't look better than cable or satellite.

Also, chill out a bit.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

slidebite posted:

My French is poor (as in 20+ years ago grade school so I used google translate) but don't you need the minimal adsl service and IPTV bundle on the top of that page at $70/month as a minimum? I don't see a $20 "tv package" there, or am I just missing it? Unless you mean that Trio package but I am assuming that's each for 3 TVs? :confused:

Also, is that on demand or live streaming? If it is streaming and you're forced to buy that other stuff to get it, it doesn't look better than cable or satellite.

Also, chill out a bit.

http://www.colba.net/main.php?lang=en&cont=iptv
voila!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, $50 per month including the dsl connection? Looks like 24mbps too. That's not too shabby.

e: Just received a call from Telus confirming my teksavvy install tomorrow. Knock on wood we should be good to go!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

slidebite posted:

So, $50 per month including the dsl connection? Looks like 24mbps too. That's not too shabby.

e: Just received a call from Telus confirming my teksavvy install tomorrow. Knock on wood we should be good to go!

:hfive: Rogers just confirmed our cable install for teksavvy to happen on Tuesday. Here's to our setups going painlessly!

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Just switched to Start yesterday after almost a decade with Cogeco. Had to go without access for the day due to someone from Cogeco actually picking up their modem/equipment (they gave us a box to ship it back to them but I guess they really wanted their poo poo back). After 5pm the Start modem started working and now I don't have to worry about my monthly limit anymore since 250GB is more than generous for me. Start called this morning to ask if the switch went smoothly which was nice of them.

Also, the CRTC has announced that they'll reveal their decision regarding capacity based billing (CBB/UBB) rates this week. Some people are seeing Bell and Rogers (and now Videotron too apparently) offering unlimited internet as a sign that the decision doesn't go in their favour. It'll be an interesting week regardless.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tedgewick posted:

You are a complete loving idiot spreading misinformation that isn't applicable to Canada. You can't do any math, speak in childish absolutes and have no evidence to support an authoritarian perspective.

So based on the link (in English) you need a TV service to get HBO. How is that not bundled? :)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tedgewick posted:

Yeah. The only reason I actually have TV is because I don't want to gently caress around with online streams to watch TV, plus my current internet connection really isn't fast enough to stream stuff in HD.

Maybe if I switch to start my connection will be fast enough for NHL gamecenter.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tagra posted:

[edit] I'm reading that Shaw is raising their prices at the same time but I don't think I saw that in this thread... is it also true?

[edit 2] Well there's certainly bitching about it! https://community.shaw.ca/thread/3591

The April rate increases are for people with older grandfathered rates, primarily ones with bundled TV packages to reflect new channels and such that have been added over time.

priznat posted:

Sooooo shaw's 100Mbs plan is kind of tempting me, except the 500GB/month worries me. Streaming a lot of hi def movies from Netflix (spoofed into thinking I am in a super HD zone) and iTunes which add up significantly.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've only ever seen us take action on accounts where you consistently go over the stated usage limits by very large amounts, like doubling or tripling it, month after month. And even then, only on really saturated nodes. Just the other day I upgraded someone who was on our most basic bundled plan, which has a 0.5Mbps connection and a 5GB usage limit, and they were hitting the 100GB mark each month and I didn't see any action taken. They were in a smaller town and were getting double what I had upgraded them to after testing it, so that probably had something to do with it, as well.

The way it was supposed to work is that if you hit your usage limit for, say, the 100GB plan, for that month you would be bumped up to the 250GB plan and get the speed and new monthly limit that that would entail. I've never, ever seen it in practice, though.

Standard disclaimer saying that I work for Shaw and that any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks for that info! I have heard similar too but there is always the worry that the enforcements will get strict. Still, with no contract if that happens I would not be trapped I suppose..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I am now part of the teksavvy family. Telus decides to pull through for the hook-up. Getting pretty reliably 24/2.8, which is better than what I expected.

Zigmidge posted:

:hfive: Rogers just confirmed our cable install for teksavvy to happen on Tuesday. Here's to our setups going painlessly!
How did you pan out?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DSL reports is in a bit of a tizzy about this upcoming CRTC decision:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/decisions.htm

quote:

Telecom Regulatory Policy:

Disposition of review and vary applications with respect to wholesale high-speed access services: Introductory statement
File numbers: 8662-C182-201202324, 8662-C182-201200063, 8662-B54-201202259,
8662-M59-201202275, 8662-R28-201201699, 8662-V48-201201722, 8662-S9-201201342, 8662-T143-201202309

Can someone enlighten a n00b like me about why this is so important?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If I'm not mistaken that decision is the one where the CRTC will release the new wholesale rates that incumbents like Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc use to sell access to indie's like Teksavvy under the new usage based wholesaling scheme. Everyone has been using interim rates set by the CRTC for the last year or so. This is a big deal because the current interim rates are ridiculous and don't let companies like Teksavvy compete on price and makes it very hard to offer unlimited plans without essentially making their service a charity. Start.ca for example essentially loses money on their 45/4 cable plan, and under the current rates cannot hope to offer the higher Rogers speed tiers.

Coincidentally in the last couple weeks Rogers and Bell have started offering unlimited usage plans. Yeah, those unlimited plans Bell and Rogers said would crush their infrastructure and clog all the tubes during the UBB arguments.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I can't wait cause these new rates might actually make it worth it to resell dsl in certain areas I have. In addition to doing wireless.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

If I'm not mistaken that decision is the one where the CRTC will release the new wholesale rates that incumbents like Telus, Bell, Rogers, etc use to sell access to indie's like Teksavvy under the new usage based wholesaling scheme. Everyone has been using interim rates set by the CRTC for the last year or so. This is a big deal because the current interim rates are ridiculous and don't let companies like Teksavvy compete on price and makes it very hard to offer unlimited plans without essentially making their service a charity. Start.ca for example essentially loses money on their 45/4 cable plan, and under the current rates cannot hope to offer the higher Rogers speed tiers.
That makes sense. I saw a post once by Marc @ Teksavvy saying his prices have been a gamble based on this upcoming decision so now I know what he meant by that.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

That makes sense. I saw a post once by Marc @ Teksavvy saying his prices have been a gamble based on this upcoming decision so now I know what he meant by that.

Its been pretty bad actually. I forget where I read it but one company's CEO explained on dslreports that once a customer gets beyond about 300gb of usage they're losing money on the account under the current rates. Of course if they didn't offer a high cap or raised prices they'd lose customers.

Its a really mean thing for the CRTC to do, especially when at the time it was thought these new rates would be worked out in a few weeks and not close to a year. Of course the indie providers have no hope of any kind of retroactive adjustment, so the end result is a monetary punch in the teeth to the independents courtesy of the CRTC, and the incumbent providers rolling out unlimited usage plans just in time to close the gap under the new rates. Its ridiculous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw seems to have loving collapsed in Winnipeg. I can barely get above 2Mpbs when I used to easily get 25Mpbs. A bunch of others are reporting this as well.

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/1336?start=0&tstart=0

No one else to really go to here since the alternative is loving MTS DSL.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Vintersorg posted:

Shaw seems to have loving collapsed in Winnipeg.
I guess Shaw's network is pretty inconsistent depending on where you live. Cause I have a friend in downtown Winnipeg who is getting only about half what he pays for - he was on their 20mbps plan and got about 10 on speed tests so he asked them to change him down to the 10mbps plan and suddenly he was getting about 5mbps on speed tests. lovely.

However, I also live in Winnipeg in the Crestview area myself, I am on the 25/2.5 plan and I am getting >99% of those speeds on speed tests and have great real world performance. I sometimes stream real time video of my starcraft 2 games on twitch.tv (I'm a huge dork) at 1828kbps and I have no lag issues doing that while I play online, stream looks great too.

So with my connection being so fast and solid but other people having poo poo experiences, unfortunately it seems like in Winnipeg right now it really matters where exactly you live. For anyone moving or considering a change it is probably best to talk to other people in the same building or on the same block if at all possible, to figure out which ISP is better in your building/on your street. Cause I've heard plenty of horror stories about MTS and they seem like an all around lovely company, but it sounds like in some areas Shaw may be even worse.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Vintersorg posted:

No one else to really go to here since the alternative is loving MTS DSL.
Is that bad?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I'm over in Silver Heights and I have no speed problems whatsoever, but hearing that gives me some pause-- I'm looking at moving downtownish/osborne villagey soon.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

8ender posted:

Coincidentally in the last couple weeks Rogers and Bell have started offering unlimited usage plans. Yeah, those unlimited plans Bell and Rogers said would crush their infrastructure and clog all the tubes during the UBB arguments.

Holy poo poo, I completely missed this from Rogers! Already have a TV, internet & home phone bundle with them so its just an extra $10/mth for me to go unlimited. Boo yah!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Going unlimited on Shaw costs an extra $100 a month :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I expect Cogeco to pick up on this Unlimited business in only, oh, four or five years :allears:

And it'll cost $30-40 more probably.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
http://www.rogers.com/web/content/unlimitedinternet?cm_sp=internet-_-unlimited-internet-en-0213-_-slot2

There's the info on it. $30/mth on top if you don't have the tv/isp/phone bundle.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These speeds are up in the Maples area. This is supposed to the 25/2.5 plan but it's been bad for over a week now that i've noticed.

Ill be moving soon in a month or so though. If it stays this bad depending on where I go i'll be forced to move to MTS.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Out of all the cities in Canada, Winnipeg has the most saturated nodes right now, unfortunately. It very much depends on where you are; when I was living in Colony Square right downtown I didn't have any problems with my 25/2.5 plan, but my co-worker in the same building with the 100Mbps plan was having issues getting his full stated speed. I'm in St. James right now and things have been alright on the 50Mbps plan.

The thing that will help the most with the saturation is the Digital Network Upgrade we've been doing across the country, where we're finally getting rid of the analog television signal and forcing people to go digital if they don't have a cable box already. This frees up a ton of bandwidth for internet, and also allows us to start offering 250Mbps internet in those areas. I know we've done the St. Vital hubsite so far, but I can check what other parts of the city have been done or are scheduled for the near future when I get in to work today.

If anyone is moving or thinking of switching, if you PM me the address you're going to be at, I can run a saturation report on your node, which is more info than you'll get by calling in. At this point we'd rather be upfront about it rather than have people get services with us, only to get pissed off and cancel a month later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Posted this in dslr as well, but wondered if someone here might be able to shed some light on why this happens:

I am a new Teksavvy DSL customer that moved over from Telus. So far, I am happy with my speeds. Something I noticed though is that my IP Geolocates to Vancouver/Lower mainland for speedtest.net and news websites when I am actually in southern Alberta.

When I do speedtests, my speeds are fine but my ping does seem to travel a bit more than before. With my old Telus service, I used to get anywhere from 5-40ms pings, now the best I get is about 45 and usually 90-120ms.

I have done the normal powering on/off the router and PCs a couple of times.

Ideas?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coxswain Balls posted:

Out of all the cities in Canada, Winnipeg has the most saturated nodes right now, unfortunately. It very much depends on where you are; when I was living in Colony Square right downtown I didn't have any problems with my 25/2.5 plan, but my co-worker in the same building with the 100Mbps plan was having issues getting his full stated speed. I'm in St. James right now and things have been alright on the 50Mbps plan.

The thing that will help the most with the saturation is the Digital Network Upgrade we've been doing across the country, where we're finally getting rid of the analog television signal and forcing people to go digital if they don't have a cable box already. This frees up a ton of bandwidth for internet, and also allows us to start offering 250Mbps internet in those areas. I know we've done the St. Vital hubsite so far, but I can check what other parts of the city have been done or are scheduled for the near future when I get in to work today.

If anyone is moving or thinking of switching, if you PM me the address you're going to be at, I can run a saturation report on your node, which is more info than you'll get by calling in. At this point we'd rather be upfront about it rather than have people get services with us, only to get pissed off and cancel a month later.

This morning, as expected, speeds were back to normal but I suppose it's good to hear that Winnipeg is making blips on Shaw's radar. I really don't want to leave as i've been with them for at least 15 years.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

slidebite posted:

So I am now part of the teksavvy family. Telus decides to pull through for the hook-up. Getting pretty reliably 24/2.8, which is better than what I expected.

How did you pan out?

I'm paying for 18/1 so that's pretty good! Rogers dude showed up on time, on the first day, hooked us up, chatted about weed and catshit with my girlfriend and then left. Way better than the week and a half of scheduling and technical problems agony that we had trying to get hooked up with Bell's tech.

vv I don't remember what my ping used to be on speedtest but my in-game pings haven't changed so I'm pleased about that too!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 20, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Paying for 18/1 and getting that download is pretty snazzy.

Here is mine

Notice my ping doesn't seem quite as good as with Telus but splitting hairs at that.

edit: 25/2 plan so pretty much bang on with a decent upload, not that I really care about that.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 20, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

I'm paying for 18/1 so that's pretty good! Rogers dude showed up on time, on the first day, hooked us up, chatted about weed and catshit with my girlfriend and then left. Way better than the week and a half of scheduling and technical problems agony that we had trying to get hooked up with Bell's tech.

vv I don't remember what my ping used to be on speedtest but my in-game pings haven't changed so I'm pleased about that too!
That upload rate isn't very good, in my opinion. I think if you're downloading at your advertised rate, you can pretty much expect to be saturating your outbound with TCP acknowledgements, probably. Can anyone do the math on it?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I think he needs at least 2 up for that kind of download.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Kachunkachunk posted:

That upload rate isn't very good, in my opinion. I think if you're downloading at your advertised rate, you can pretty much expect to be saturating your outbound with TCP acknowledgements, probably. Can anyone do the math on it?

Seems you're right. I tested it out late last night and we top out about 17-18 mbps. I wonder why speedtest reports 30. Has anyone had this problem? Any tips before I ring them up later today?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Wirth1000 posted:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/unlimitedinternet?cm_sp=internet-_-unlimited-internet-en-0213-_-slot2

There's the info on it. $30/mth on top if you don't have the tv/isp/phone bundle.
I saw that, but I think I'll stick with TekSavvy until they do something outrageous to piss me off. I've been the beaten housewife too many times from Rogers and Bell to switch over based on one sweet deal.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Seems you're right. I tested it out late last night and we top out about 17-18 mbps. I wonder why speedtest reports 30. Has anyone had this problem? Any tips before I ring them up later today?

Are you able to share your modem stats? Most modems have an IP you can visit with your browser to get the stats. A bad upload speed is usually indicative of some bad wiring.

One other thing though: Are you always getting a really steady 0.5Mbit using different speed tests? If so it could very well be that they've got your on a weird speed profile.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ohh I'm a jerk, just got my statement e-mail and it says 18/512 :)

Everything is working as advertised which is still worlds better than how we were with DSL in a brand new building. According to that dslr post from earlier we can look forward to a speed ugprade in the spring as well!

e: The results you see are from around NA. It's pretty much as how I'd expect it. The 30Mbps result is from a TekSavvy server so it's kind of suspect. Do they run content mirrors that would benefit me in the same way?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Unsurprising based on the lead-up over the past week, but hooray!

quote:

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission announced Thursday it has established a standard billing model to set limits on how much the telecom behemoths can charge independent Internet providers who need to access their infrastructure.

That means some independent Internet providers, the biggest of which are TekSavvy and Distributel, could see “significant reductions” in the wholesale rates they pay to the dominant players like Bell, Rogers and Telus.

And that could ultimately mean not only lower prices for consumers using those smaller players, but the continued survival of indie players, who have worked to offer advantages like higher download caps, more consistent billing and sometimes lower prices.