Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Last night I decided to watch The House I Live In which seemed to get great reviews from most. I have to say, I just wasn't that into it. I understand that the war on drugs is lovely and some of the stories were upsetting but I expected more than the message of "whitey is trying to suppress minorities". Does anyone else fell similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't get what you're objecting to, there. The prosecution of the war on drugs is disproportionately targeted toward urban minorities, which in turn feeds the for-profit prison industry, which experienced record growth over the past 20 years.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WebDog posted:

They have their global app which is a monthly fee for limited content. It's interesting as it's generally helping gauge what is popular enough to be sold overseas.

He did one last year about Westerns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuw8MgvmAE

And if you want more about Native American's on film, there's also Reel Injun

This was pretty enjoyable.

I understand that westerns used to be commonplace and now it's a bit of a niché genre but I wish people would stop being dramatic and call that the death of the western. Especially when something like Deadwood was around during the making of that and never mentioned.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Cleanflix is a pretty fascinating documentary on Netflix. It covers the (grossly lucrative) business of censoring Hollywood movies and selling them to Mormon audiences. Over the course of things a main subject emerges, and his personality and story are pretty unsavory. For me, though, the best bits were near the beginning, contrasting Brigham Young students talking about their disgust with obsenity in films and Hollywood personalitis (including Soderbergh!) discussing the merits of such content. It's pretty goddamn fascinating, especially hearing Philip Sherman Gordon get into the psychology of limiting oneself to sanitized content. Check it out.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Finally got around to watching Undefeated and goddamn, why did it take me so long to watch this thing?!

If you liked Undefeated or generally enjoy High School football movies, then check out The Hopeful which is about high school QB Cody Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7gz3CW-75o

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't get what you're objecting to, there. The prosecution of the war on drugs is disproportionately targeted toward urban minorities, which in turn feeds the for-profit prison industry, which experienced record growth over the past 20 years.

There is maybe a bit more to it: standard moral panic and disinformation on the part of the media, the desire of existing government agencies for self-preservation, and the arms race on both sides, etc. Caveat: I haven't actually watched it yet, so it may actually include these things, but if it doesn't they're things I'd want covered.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Cleanflix is a pretty fascinating documentary on Netflix. It covers the (grossly lucrative) business of censoring Hollywood movies and selling them to Mormon audiences. Over the course of things a main subject emerges, and his personality and story are pretty unsavory. For me, though, the best bits were near the beginning, contrasting Brigham Young students talking about their disgust with obsenity in films and Hollywood personalitis (including Soderbergh!) discussing the merits of such content. It's pretty goddamn fascinating, especially hearing Philip Sherman Gordon get into the psychology of limiting oneself to sanitized content. Check it out.

I was actually at a Q&A screening for this a while ago. I second the recommendation.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I've just watched one called Kumare about Vikram Gandhi who decides to create an alter ego as a Indian guru in order to perform a social experiment about spiritualism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUzG6YKuvo

It's delightfully insane.

EMZ998
Dec 11, 2007
x+x+
Im curious, does anybody know the status on the availability on the next in the UP series and what are the best versions available for purchase or service stream eg. Hulu or netflix?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Here is quite an interesting and almost two hour long documentary about Pirates.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

DannyTanner posted:

The Beckoning Silence

Based on the book by Joe Simpson (guy who broke his leg in Touching the Void), this documentary focuses on a 1936 attempt of climbing the north face of the Eiger, and why it inspired him.

If you liked Touching the Void, this is worth a watch.

Vimeo links: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

This was very good. It takes a while to get interesting, but I was getting pretty emotional at the end.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 2, 2013

Peyote
Apr 19, 2004

Diodeous posted:

If you liked Undefeated or generally enjoy High School football movies, then check out The Hopeful which is about high school QB Cody Keith.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7gz3CW-75o

This is a hacky documentary about an uninteresting rich kid whom you ultimately end up despising. I also suspect there is a heavy religious bias behind the making of this movie.

The only good comparison with The Undefeated is between the have and have-nots in high school football, and between good and poo poo documentaries.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Peyote posted:

The only good comparison with The Undefeated is between the have and have-nots in high school football, and between good and poo poo documentaries.

...or that it's a documentary about high school football where it seems like the film-makers have an incredibly high level of access. Let people judge for themselves

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
It's been a long while since I've seen it, but Year of the Bull is a football doc that I remember as being good. About a high school phenom from the ghetto who gets huge interest from colleges. Follows him during his senior year.

his career stalled when he was expelled from UF for assault, went to a poo poo college, and wasn't drafted

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

There's some point deep in the middle of this where the narrator apparently reads aloud a line like "Tinge of guilt here." while talking about the slave trade.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
The BBC just showed a 10 year later follow up to The Staircase.

Death on the Staircase: The Last Chance
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qhl0g/Storyville_20122013_Death_on_the_Staircase_The_Last_Chance/

I didn't actually see the original, but found this really good and perfectly accessible to those who haven't heard of the case.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Would like to see that, but its only available in the UK. Is this the one made by the same guy who made The Staircase?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
From a quick look at IMDB its the same guy, it looks like it will be shown in March on the Sundance Channel, dunno if thats easily getable in the states.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/28/new-episodes-of-the-staircase-premiere-january-7-on-sundance-channel/159338/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Animal-Mother posted:

There's some point deep in the middle of this where the narrator apparently reads aloud a line like "Tinge of guilt here." while talking about the slave trade.

If you wanted them to go into detail about history, causes and ethics of 17th and 18th Slavery a different more serious documentary would have been better. This one seems pretty tounge in cheek in most parts but does a good job pointing out Pirates were honestly bastards in most respects.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty cool to realize that many of the films discussed in this thread are distributed by Oscilloscope Laboratories, the film company owned by Adam Yauch. He also directed Gunnin' for that #1 Spot, which is quite good. Hopefully they don't suffer now that he's gone.

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
A treat for you, thread: Adam Curtis's fantastic documentary "The Way of All Flesh" is on YT. I saw this on BBC2 back when it was new and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. It's the story of Henrietta Lacks, her line of cancerous, yet immortal cells and a wider look at how modern science has attempted to fight cancer, as well as a hard look at some highly questionable medical ethics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lMrp_ySg8

Re-watching it now, it's possibly dated a little. I think he's often quite patronising to Henrietta Lack's relatives, for example but it's still an astonishing story.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Promethea posted:

A treat for you, thread: Adam Curtis's fantastic documentary "The Way of All Flesh" is on YT. I saw this on BBC2 back when it was new and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. It's the story of Henrietta Lacks, her line of cancerous, yet immortal cells and a wider look at how modern science has attempted to fight cancer, as well as a hard look at some highly questionable medical ethics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lMrp_ySg8

Re-watching it now, it's possibly dated a little. I think he's often quite patronising to Henrietta Lack's relatives, for example but it's still an astonishing story.

It's been up on his blog in higher quality for a while now.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

A documentary about the founders of the Pirate Bay and the court case in Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOKXCEwo_8

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

MRC48B posted:

Has anyone seen "Central Park Five" yet?
Yes, it is really saddening. Watch it with a crowd if possible, the reactions of the outraged audience were priceless.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This is a wonderful documentary directed and narrated by the magnanimous Werner Herzog:

It's not available for free, but trust me, it is worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWycuaWJFCM

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Grizzly Man is on Netflix Instant and you should watch if you haven't seen it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

How is Herzog magnanimous?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

How is Herzog magnanimous?

Hey :colbert: This isn't about my loose interpretation of adjectives, it's about how awesome Grizzly Man is.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

escape artist posted:

This is a wonderful documentary directed and narrated by the magnanimous Werner Herzog:

It's not available for free, but trust me, it is worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWycuaWJFCM

His new documentary Happy People is really great as well.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

cloudchamber posted:

His new documentary Happy People is really great as well.

He's got a whole backlog of documentaries that I need to see. Grizzly Man was my first, but certainly won't be my last.

Also, if you guys are fans of the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre, this is a documentary worth tracking down:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286214/

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZnfC-V1SY

Pretty much :gbsmith:

The ending is pretty rough.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

<removed>

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 11, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Louis Theroux has dozens of great documentaries, many available on Youtube.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

escape artist posted:

Louis Theroux has dozens of great documentaries, many available on Youtube.

Cant reccomend these enough. The Jimmy Saville documentary, made before the revelations of what we now know he was up to, is pretty chilling in retrospect.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spuckuk posted:

Cant reccomend these enough. The Jimmy Saville documentary, made before the revelations of what we now know he was up to, is pretty chilling in retrospect.

What's weird is that the Savile doc makes it seem like it was an open secret at the time, and that was twelve years ago. Or at least there's some knowing baiting going on there which Savile doesn't exactly deny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Irvine Welsh wrote a short story about a guy who was clearly meant to be a Saville analogue, and he made that character a child molester, as well. It was kind of an openly discussed rumour from what I've erad about it.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a good documentary on Iran out there? Like a history one. I know bits and pieces here and there, but I'd like to see if there is anything better out there.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The documentary on the incredible band Silkworm came out today: http://buy.couldntyouwait.com/ It's $5 which I don't have currently, but it's loving Silkworm.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
After watching the Chernobyl doc posted earlier I've go a hankering for some cold war documentaries, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

Poison Jam posted:

After watching the Chernobyl doc posted earlier I've go a hankering for some cold war documentaries, any suggestions?

Atomic Cafe is one of my favorites as well as Trinity and Beyond.