Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

None of those Hummers have the ridiculous oversize bulldog hood ornament BS going on. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, it's the same "oh that's cool? let's run this poo poo into the ground!" thing.

Sounds like it needs something, not sure what. O2 sensor been done recently? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor? Fuel filter? Air filter?

I picked up from 13mpg to 19mpg in my MJ (back when it was still stock... not a chance of seeing those numbers now) and an O2 sensor paid for itself in a couple weeks. Highest I ever turned out was 23.13mpg, all 55-65mph highway driving on summer gas with a clapped out automatic on stock tires/gears.

Even my XJ with a busted transmission controller and a manual converter lockup got 17.5-19 MPG easily.

He needs some maintenance done, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Faerunner posted:

Yep... Tacky Hummers are a uniquely American phenomenon.

If you forget about everywhere else. Like this one in Dubai.

Touché.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kastein posted:

Sounds like it needs something, not sure what. O2 sensor been done recently? Plugs/wires/cap/rotor? Fuel filter? Air filter?

I picked up from 13mpg to 19mpg in my MJ (back when it was still stock... not a chance of seeing those numbers now) and an O2 sensor paid for itself in a couple weeks. Highest I ever turned out was 23.13mpg, all 55-65mph highway driving on summer gas with a clapped out automatic on stock tires/gears.

No, the O2 sensor is probably at least 7 years old. I don't think we've done it since we got it in '07 (It's a 2000, so no wires/rotor), the air filter is new as of last summer, no idea about the fuel filter, but it's in the gas tank so unless the fuel pump dies I doubt we'll ever do it.

Gotta remember though it's lifted (stock size tires right now though) and has a full roof rack/brush guard, so it's somehow less aerodynamic than stock. Also probably weighed down a little extra by the rock sliders, the armor plate under the engine bay, etc. It's a terrible vehicle for a commuter, but pretty fun off the beaten path.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

This has to be a troll. I can't believe someone would do this as a serious thing.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

kastein posted:

None of those Hummers have the ridiculous oversize bulldog hood ornament BS going on. I'm not sure who thought that was a good idea, it's the same "oh that's cool? let's run this poo poo into the ground!" thing.

Besides the lack of spikes on the doors and panels, I see nothing seriously wrong here. Ohh, I think I get it now. Yes, gently caress those people that drives around with fake pitbulls.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think they're serious, but when it reaches that level I am not really sure how to tell a serious idiot from a troll car. Either way it's terrible.

Faerunner posted:

No, the O2 sensor is probably at least 7 years old. I don't think we've done it since we got it in '07 (It's a 2000, so no wires/rotor), the air filter is new as of last summer, no idea about the fuel filter, but it's in the gas tank so unless the fuel pump dies I doubt we'll ever do it.

Gotta remember though it's lifted (stock size tires right now though) and has a full roof rack/brush guard, so it's somehow less aerodynamic than stock. Also probably weighed down a little extra by the rock sliders, the armor plate under the engine bay, etc. It's a terrible vehicle for a commuter, but pretty fun off the beaten path.

I feel you there... I think I am getting around 16mpg on my tired 4.0 in the MJ now though, on 33s, lifted, weighing nearly 4000lbs between the spares/tools/tires/armor. Maybe more actually, I'd have to check the scale receipt from the last time I emptied the scrap pile out.

I know I was getting 13mpg with a horrific fuel pump assembly leak that was literally pissing gas as I drove, before compensating for the fact that the odometer is wildly inaccurate.

Something needs doing on your jeep, I just don't know what it is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Something needs doing on your jeep, I just don't know what it is.

No doubt. I'm doing better than that in a much heavier lifted truck with an 8 (the Rover, of course).

Sounds to me like he's probably running around in open loop.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure if this is a derail or not :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Faerunner posted:

Yep... Tacky Hummers are a uniquely American phenomenon.

If you forget about everywhere else. Like this one in Dubai.

Finally, a car whose name perfectly describes it. The Bummer. :v:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Spotted at Lowe's.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

Spotted at Lowe's.

Meh, with that placement and nothing else I could see them being an enthusiast (in Iowa, though?) declaring their love for the brand. If it were where the Honda badge should go it'd definitely belong here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryhampster posted:

Spotted at Lowe's.

Maybe he's just putting badges from cars he's backed into while shopping?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

angryhampster posted:

Spotted at Lowe's.

Honda minivan immediately snaps a cam gear, oil pan dumps onto ground, immolates self.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh, are we doing Honda Odysseys with European car emblems? I can play:

Also satisfies the "replaces factory emblem" clause. And possibly the wheels as well? I'm not good with Honda or BMW wheels.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Meh, with that placement and nothing else I could see them being an enthusiast (in Iowa, though?) declaring their love for the brand. If it were where the Honda badge should go it'd definitely belong here.

Most likely an enthusiast, but doubtfully an owner. I've lived here for seven years and never seen an Alfa.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Why not. My VW had an "ELITE" badge from a Mitsubishi and a "VULCAN" badge from a bar heater.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh, are we doing Honda Odysseys with European car emblems? I can play:

Also satisfies the "replaces factory emblem" clause. And possibly the wheels as well? I'm not good with Honda or BMW wheels.
E60 5-series wheels. Probably just a convenient replacement.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Faerunner posted:

Don't forget the exhaust manifold. They love to crack, draw in excess air and throw off the O2 sensors, making the fuel system scale up the mix to compensate.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

General_Failure posted:

Why not. My VW had an "ELITE" badge from a Mitsubishi and a "VULCAN" badge from a bar heater.

I learned to drive in a 1985 Holden Camira* that had a crack in the firewall that made it flex when you pushed the clutch in, making the friction point vague at best and optional at worst**. Someone decided they would put a big blue oval badge on the back of it shortly after I took possession of it and drove it to Melbourne for the first time when I moved here.

*your pity and derision are warranted

**this might have been standard

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

angryhampster posted:

Most likely an enthusiast, but doubtfully an owner. I've lived here for seven years and never seen an Alfa.

There are three or four Alfas in various states of disrepair in a garage about 2 blocks from my house in downtown Iowa City. It may be that guy.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
No, that's every Alfa owner, everywhere.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Here's something that I saw last year. :confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6iL3wHTZc

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

^^^I don't know what you're talking about, that's pretty awesome and I'll hear nothing more of it. :colbert:

donut posted:

E60 5-series wheels. Probably just a convenient replacement.

Wasn't that generation of Honda Odyseey the one that came with Michelin PAX tires (which are essentially impossible to find, or are ridiculously expensive)? If it is, it stands to reason you'd try to find a set of non-PAX wheels so you don't have deal with that headache.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

pylb posted:

Here's something that I saw last year. :confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6iL3wHTZc

Dazzle paintjobs are pretty sweet... and maybe it's an attempt to fool speed cameras?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Dazzle paintjobs are pretty sweet... and maybe it's an attempt to fool speed cameras?

I agree that dazzle paint jobs can be pretty cool. That thing, however, looks like Vanilla Ice's pants.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Memento1979 posted:

Attention all douchebags, your Lord is in attendance. Click for big, if that floats your boat.

I think I made this exact truck on Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sometimes, you have to make your own rims.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

JaysonAych posted:

Sometimes, you have to make your own rims.

I think that's pretty drat clever. I'd be interested to see it in motion.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Welp, RIP Triumph Daytona 675 motor with 28.5k on it. Lost it at a trackday yesterday.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 19, 2013

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

MrChips posted:

^^^I don't know what you're talking about, that's pretty awesome and I'll hear nothing more of it. :colbert:

Wasn't that generation of Honda Odyseey the one that came with Michelin PAX tires (which are essentially impossible to find, or are ridiculously expensive)? If it is, it stands to reason you'd try to find a set of non-PAX wheels so you don't have deal with that headache.

Those tires, if I remember correctly, only came on the top-end trim level. That said, if the donor wheels came from a 5 Series, then I'd say you're spot-on with the rationale.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really wish I got a video of something that happened at work the other day.

Directly across from us an APR tuning house has opened up, the owner has a brand spanking 911 turbo that sounds insane, the dyno is directly across from the entrance of our warehouse, so every day I get treated to some nice sounding cars having the piss rung out of them. (however the Golf R and Polo GTI that they have sound like poo poo)

I was working around the corner and couldn't see out of our roller doors, when I heard this car fire up and sounded like one of the cars the normally that gets a run on the dyno, I hear it reverse out and take off up the street making a right racket.

It does a u-turn and comes back but still I didn't get to see it. I hear it do another u-turn, so I walk around the corner to have a look, the guy guns it and I finally see the car making this huge racket.

This piece of poo poo Daewoo Matiz comes screaming past at about 30kmh, turns out that when you remove the whole exhaust from one of them, it sounds exactly like a Porsche. I almost lost it laughing, it was such a weird thing to see.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

:rice: posted:

Concept carbon wide body kit only one in the world
:eng99:This used to be an S2000

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Puddin posted:

This piece of poo poo Daewoo Matiz comes screaming past at about 30kmh, turns out that when you remove the whole exhaust from one of them, it sounds exactly like a Porsche. I almost lost it laughing, it was such a weird thing to see.

It's a 3-cylinder, right?

3-cylinder engines can actually sound pretty good, I guess it sort of mimics half of a flat-6.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Puddin posted:

I've done this with a few cheap cars. Hole in the exhaust? gently caress it, let the thing fall of (it did). A little 2.0 or whatever with an exhaust that ends where the cat should be sounds pretty gnarly at full throttle, and no-one can work out it's you.

The best trick is to pull up at a three-lane traffic light on the end lane with a cop on the far lane when there's someone in something chavvy or ricey in the middle. Then blip the throttle menacingly and watch the cops give the look of death to the hot hatch kiddies while not even noticing your anonymous beigemobile.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Cruseydr posted:

:eng99:This used to be an S2000
I think this is in the wrong thread. Apart from those ridiculous flares that looks pretty okay.

Plus it has those wheels with 1 colored spoke which look cool in motion.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It seems to be a time attack car. Does anyone have the original link?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I reverse image searched it and it only came up with a link to a foreign S2000 fan forum. It does look like it's used for time attack though.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Zeether posted:

I think this is in the wrong thread. Apart from those ridiculous flares that looks pretty okay.

Plus it has those wheels with 1 colored spoke which look cool in motion.
Hey if they are actually racing it, I will agree I put it in the wrong thread. But those flares are pretty crazy. I saw it on Facebook with no context.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Carbon fiber body panels are one of those things that cost way too much for what it does to the point where it's more about show than anything else. But it's not my money so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
You know how you live somewhere for awhile and you start to think people are cool. Then you find the one thing to ruin it all?

Just found that yesterday. A small pickup (I think it was a Toyota Tacoma) with a plackard that stated "$3.85 a gallon. Jew Bastards." I didn't have chance to catch it with a camera, but if you're near Tallmadge, OH, you might stumble upon it.