Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
snapple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

No thanks. Too fruity.

Boner Magnet
Aug 11, 2002
:I
This is like a taste explosion!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

esperantinc posted:

No thanks. Too fruity.

They all have swirling chocolate in the commercial!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Not Skittles.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Right now he's a fact checker for New York Magazine. It's not much, but it has a certain...kind of quiet dignity.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
When I started dating my current girlfriend, she didn't like Seinfeld. She did not dislike it, but she hadn't really watched Seinfeld. I set out to fix this problem.

Recently we were discussing some social situation, and she said, "there should be an episode of Seinfeld about this." I feel as though I have succeeded at life.

Other important discussion topics:
1) Bro was a superior name to manzier. Brozier is better than both of them.
2) Velcro in the back was a terrible idea. No way it would hold up under the required tension.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Not Skittles.

All I want is an apology and for him to be fired.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

GEORGE LIKES THE BANANAS!

SO LET HIM HAVE BANANAS ON THE SIDE!

Frank and Estelle are without a doubt my favorite characters outside of the main 4. Frank gets a lot of love but was Estelle Harris absolutely perfect for that role.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Diabolik900 posted:

Not Skittles.

Too much coconut.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Frank and Estelle are without a doubt my favorite characters outside of the main 4. Frank gets a lot of love but was Estelle Harris absolutely perfect for that role.

If you want a mindfuck, you should watch the scene they filmed from The Outing where Fran Drescher filled in for Estelle Harris :stare:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

GEORGE LIKES THE BANANAS!

SO LET HIM HAVE BANANAS ON THE SIDE!

As good as they were, I still maintain that Jerry's parents were perhaps the best set of minor characters in the whole show.

The "Yaaaaaay Jerry got it open" scene still makes me howl every time I see it. It's perfect.

Also, just the small throwaway things we hear about them like Jerry's jacket story all ring perfectly true.

I do actually wonder about the "Jewish" element of Seinfeld humor, and how much of it is accessible. Growing up (I was raised in a Jewish household in a predominantly Jewish community), I always thought that every joke that "worked" in Seinfeld, based on cultural Judaism or not, worked because it was funny, and anyone who had a good sense of humor could see the merit therein.

Then I went to college, left my Jewish community, and suddenly there were people who didn't think Seinfeld was funny. It blew my mind, I remember actually calling up friends and asking them what the gently caress was wrong with these people, and over and over again the response that came back was that Seinfeld was "Jewish humor" and that I shouldn't expect everyone to like it because of that.

Obviously, I know that's not the case, as only one character of the main four come from a Jewish background. Also, there are plenty of valid reasons to not like the show. There are, however, certainly jokes that stem from cultural Judaism and I am perpetually curious about how people who may not be as familiar with that perspective digest the show, and take in those sorts of jokes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's just old people yelling. People like that.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
My grandparents weren't Jewish but they especially dug Frank and Estelle, because they were an image of themselves.

:byodame: I have no eye for fashion?!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh, I'll pay. Half price. :smug:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Two months ago, I saw a provocative movie on cable TV. It was called The Net, with that girl from the bus...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chili posted:

Obviously, I know that's not the case, as only one character of the main four come from a Jewish background. Also, there are plenty of valid reasons to not like the show. There are, however, certainly jokes that stem from cultural Judaism and I am perpetually curious about how people who may not be as familiar with that perspective digest the show, and take in those sorts of jokes.

You know that scene where Jerry goes to a Catholic Church and he has no idea what the hell anything is about and casually uses Holy Water to clean his hands? That's about as much as I know about Jewish customs* and I thought the show was hilarious and never felt like any part of the show was going over my head or referencing something I didn't understand. Larry David did a drat good job of making sure that the show was genuinely funny on its own merits.

* you guys go to Temple on Fridays and.... uhhh... you can't eat pork, right? That's about all I know.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

It offends me as a comedian!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fenix down posted:

It offends me as a comedian!

You're an anti-dentite!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
They do have their own schools!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Chili posted:

As good as they were, I still maintain that Jerry's parents were perhaps the best set of minor characters in the whole show.

The "Yaaaaaay Jerry got it open" scene still makes me howl every time I see it. It's perfect.

Morty, do you hear this? Some crazy guy is after Jerry.

I'll make a few calls. :geno:

potee fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 18, 2013

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
And every morning I eat a plum!

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Doesn't like you? How can anyone not like you?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Boner Magnet posted:

salads got nothin on this mutton

Nothin's finer, than eating in your diner! :haw:

Chili posted:

Ma? Ma? :ohdear: MAAAAA?!!!! :supaburn:

How're the folks?

Good. :)

But I agree that they were the perfect "old mom and dad" couple. My family's certainly not Jewish, and that's exactly what my parents are like/will be like in a few years.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

You know that scene where Jerry goes to a Catholic Church and he has no idea what the hell anything is about and casually uses Holy Water to clean his hands? That's about as much as I know about Jewish customs* and I thought the show was hilarious and never felt like any part of the show was going over my head or referencing something I didn't understand. Larry David did a drat good job of making sure that the show was genuinely funny on its own merits.

* you guys go to Temple on Fridays and.... uhhh... you can't eat pork, right? That's about all I know.

I couldn't agree more. I've just heard it used so many times when people don't like the show. My roommate in college insisted that the only reason I didn't like a Tyler Perry show and he didn't like Seinfeld is that we just came from different backgrounds and we didn't understand the opposing sensibilities of humor. It's not that I ever agreed with that sentiment, but I do recognize that the shows come from two different places. They also, however, have a veritable chasm separating the two of them as far as writing quality goes. So yeah, I've still been curious, but I tend to dissect and analyze humor far too much.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
:phone: Uh, look, Elaine's here, I gotta get going. Oh, by the way I'm not getting married. Tell mom. Bye.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Hank Morgan posted:

:phone: Uh, look, Elaine's here, I gotta get going. Oh, by the way I'm not getting married. Tell mom. Bye.

*rips phone out of wall*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

George I've been trying out break-up stories on the ladies and your widow thing is testing through the roof! And George, they're eating cheese! CHEESE, GEORGE! :haw:

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I find it disturbing that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
It's Open!!

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Believe it or not, George isn't at home, please leave a message, at the beep. I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I be???

Believe it or not, I'm not home!

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I stopped having sex three days ago and I dunno no Portuguese.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Stare-Out posted:

I stopped having sex three days ago and I dunno no Portuguese.

I calculated my odds of ever getting together with a Portuguese waitress. Mathematically, I had to do it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You wanted to see me, Mr. Steinbrenner?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Gyshall posted:

You wanted to see me, Mr. Steinbrenner?

Yes George, I did. Come in George, come in. George, the word around the office is that you're a Communist. You know George, it struck me today me that a Communist pipeline into the vast reservoir of Cuban baseball talent could be the greatest thing ever to happen to this organization. You could be invaluable to this franchise. George, there's a southpaw down there nobody's been able to get a look at. Something Rodriguez, I don't really know his name. You get yourself down to Havana right away.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You could put that mustard on a shoe and it would taste pretty good to me.

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Big Stein can't be flopping and twitching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
We're designing bathroom doors with our legs exposed in anticipation of the locks not working? That's not a system. That's a complete breakdown of the system.