Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nice lettering looks good too. I love the simple, classic designs of the old chicken feeders made by Purina and Aubrey's feeds. You might try a couple of designs with clean, bold lettering that could be switched out with someone's farm name.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

piscesbobbie posted:

Congratulations! Said artist did the artwork you are showing now? Are those Buff Brahma chickens? Beautiful artwork!

Yeah, I was just showing an example of the illustrator's work. I just picked one off the website.

Kerfuffle posted:

Also you should be more worried about taking someone's work that they worked hard to create, not that you'll go to jail. :shobon:

That was a joke. I'm an honest guy. (most of the time)

Inveigle posted:

You might try a couple of designs with clean, bold lettering that could be switched out with someone's farm name.

If you design what you would like yours to look like, I'll make it for you! It would be a privilege. I'm not much of a graphic artist. If you aren't either, maybe someone on SAmart could whip something up for you. Then you just send it to me!

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004
I just wanted to share my mealworm colony pictures here. Mealworm farming is so easy, I just can't believe it. Our first 100 from the pet store have turned into thousands only 2 1/2 months later, and they just went through their first molt. All at the same time! And the 1000 I got from Amy at West Knoll Farm started pupating the next day, and now more than 1/2 are beetles laying eggs.

I took the adult beetles from one 3 drawer cart and put them in another, after they have been laying eggs in the first for about 3 weeks now. The first one should be teeming with worms in about 6 weeks. And the aquarium worms will be ready for the chooks to eat in about 2-3 weeks.

Aquarium with teeny worms

Ready to transfer

They need veggies for moisture, but they will eat the newspaper too.

Carrots are their favorite and are the easiest to deal with.

New colony all ready for occupancy

Three life stages. The eggs I can't see to show them to you.

All done! Crushed eggshell is good for them, they'll each get some soon. And I feed them chick starter/grower mixed together, I sift the dust out for them and the chickens get the crumbles.

If you get close to the carts, you can hear the beetles rustling around in the newspaper. If you lift it up they begin digging down into the substrate to hide, they never climb up so there are no escapees. They can't cling to the glass or plastic anyway.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hyper J posted:

I just wanted to share my mealworm colony pictures here. Mealworm farming is so easy, I just can't believe it. Our first 100 from the pet store have turned into thousands only 2 1/2 months later, and they just went through their first molt. All at the same time! And the 1000 I got from Amy at West Knoll Farm started pupating the next day, and now more than 1/2 are beetles laying eggs.

I took the adult beetles from one 3 drawer cart and put them in another, after they have been laying eggs in the first for about 3 weeks now. The first one should be teeming with worms in about 6 weeks. And the aquarium worms will be ready for the chooks to eat in about 2-3 weeks.

Aquarium with teeny worms

Ready to transfer

They need veggies for moisture, but they will eat the newspaper too.

Carrots are their favorite and are the easiest to deal with.

New colony all ready for occupancy

Three life stages. The eggs I can't see to show them to you.

All done! Crushed eggshell is good for them, they'll each get some soon. And I feed them chick starter/grower mixed together, I sift the dust out for them and the chickens get the crumbles.

If you get close to the carts, you can hear the beetles rustling around in the newspaper. If you lift it up they begin digging down into the substrate to hide, they never climb up so there are no escapees. They can't cling to the glass or plastic anyway.

I saw the megathread in the BYC forum (where I am not a member) and was trying to wrap my head around the concept.

Specifically, the things the mealworms eat are materials that are edible for chickens. They can eat carrots and oatmeal. Are you converting the energy in starches into more biologically important fats and proteins? Is something gained from a nutritional or calorie perspective, or is it that they really like mealworms?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I saw the megathread in the BYC forum (where I am not a member) and was trying to wrap my head around the concept.

Specifically, the things the mealworms eat are materials that are edible for chickens. They can eat carrots and oatmeal. Are you converting the energy in starches into more biologically important fats and proteins? Is something gained from a nutritional or calorie perspective, or is it that they really like mealworms?

I bought a few hundred mealworms for something like 4 bucks because I heard chickens liked them, and I wanted to make sure they got some insects while everything is frozen and covered in snow. The chickens ended up loving them, my daughter loves collecting the mealworms and giving them to the chickens, so I put them in a tupperware container in the basement with some chicken meal and vegetables in the hopes they'll breed. I haven't gone the three drawer route (yet) because I think picking through mealworms to find and remove pupae will get old, but apparently they'll breed ok in one container too, there'll just be more predation.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We raised mealworms for a bit, but the smell and mess was too much at the old house...plus we were near enough to Rainbow Mealworms to just drive over there and buy a couple thousand of them every few months, so that made more sense.

Mealworms are like Crack for chickens, it's amazing. :psyduck:

Also, thought I'd share this:
http://www.disalmanac.com/chickens-natures-chickens/

And...ya know, just in case you always wondered:
http://disalmanac.tumblr.com/post/40861195286/how-chickens-work

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have a bunch of backyard chickens, mostly Dutch bantams, though I now also have a female silver pheasant who hangs out with them (secretly hoping for a hybrid).

Ask me about having two gay roosters who gently caress eachother on a regular basis.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I have a bunch of backyard chickens, mostly Dutch bantams, though I now also have a female silver pheasant who hangs out with them (secretly hoping for a hybrid).

Ask me about having two gay roosters who gently caress eachother on a regular basis.

So, tell us about your two gay roosters. Also, please post some photos of your flock. The silver pheasant chicken sounds really exotic!

Edit: evidently the feathers of silver pheasant roosters are VERY desirable to crafters who work in feathers. The roos' feathers are beautiful! You should definitely try to see what you might get with a hybrid! Is the female silver pheasant hen currently roosting and laying with your flock?

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 14, 2013

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do you keep the mature mealbeetles from escaping and getting into your pantry?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Inveigle posted:

So, tell us about your two gay roosters. Also, please post some photos of your flock. The silver pheasant chicken sounds really exotic!

Edit: evidently the feathers of silver pheasant roosters are VERY desirable to crafters who work in feathers. The roos' feathers are beautiful! You should definitely try to see what you might get with a hybrid! Is the female silver pheasant hen currently roosting and laying with your flock?

I'll have to get pictures of the flock later, as I'm not at the house where they are right now, but here's a classic picture of the silver pheasant facing off with my mom's cat

Unfortunately the female's feathers aren't of the shiny, bright kind, but she was hand raised and basically follows me around when she sees me. Sometimes I put her in the front pocket of a hoodie. She doesn't lay yet, though I expect she will soon, but she loves to hang around with the chickens, and they seem to have accepted her. Usually she sleeps in the house instead of the coop though, because that's how we raised her.

As for the gay roosters, I was lying a bit since I don't have both of them anymore. A few months ago, our situation was basically as follows: we had about 7 hens with 1 big, tough main rooster, and two other roosters on the periphery. Since those two were runts and weren't getting any cloaca they started to have sex with each other instead. Or rather, one of them decided to have sex with the other one, since he always seemed to be on top. Then, the big main rooster died and we found a family who would take in one of the gay roosters, so we sent him there. Anyway, it was pretty funny to occasionally see them gently caress. I was pretty shocked when I first saw it though, I almost shouted. The decision to send one of them off to a new home was my mom's, and I wish I'd stopped her so I could've made a youtube rooster softcore video set to the main theme of Brokeback Mountain. I can show a picture of the remaining one (when i get back home) though, he's the leader of the flock now.

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you keep the mature mealbeetles from escaping and getting into your pantry?

The adult beetle does not climb up but rather down. They can't climb the slick plastic or glass of their prison and there is nothing else for them to climb on, but they have no desire to climb up and out when there is so much food just lying there. When disturbed they bury themselves and are sometimes hard to find in the substrate. They also play dead when I am sifting them out but will climb on to my hand and run all around. The worms have tried to go up the walls a time or 2 but get discouraged and go back down to the food. They only have 6 legs on their long bodies.

My worry is that some other insect such as roaches or spiders will find them and invade. We don't have any of those pests yet but this is the country and they can find their way inside. The aquarium has a top with a light and enough gap for ventilation but the carts are a bit less secure. I just have to keep an eye on them and if it gets too much for this old lady then the chickens will get a huge treat until they're all gone. The only smell so far is from the wheat bran and I hope it doesn't get bad.

Chickens really love mealworms and even my shy birds will eat them from my hands. I hope to be able to share them with the wild birds here too. This plot of land could be registered as a bird sanctuary, there are so many we have to fill the feeders every couple of days. The robins cover the grass in the mornings and during the rain the last week or so. We have so many hummers in the summer we need 4 of those feeders and they still fight over them.

I've read that mealworms don't thrive in the pantry, they really have to be allowed to cultivate. Most pantries are too cool and dry, with no moisture sources, so they just don't do well. These bugs are interesting to watch, as well. If you like to sit and watch the chickens, watching a colony of mealworms should be fun for you too. They have value also, unlike a boring ant farm.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I'll have to get pictures of the flock later, as I'm not at the house where they are right now, but here's a classic picture of the silver pheasant facing off with my mom's cat

Haha! What's her name? She looks to have a lot of personality! It's so sweet that she wants to hang around with you and chooses to stay in the house. :3:

Please take some more pics of her and her flockmates later on. Her tailfeathers look pretty spectacular.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Live chicks being broadcast http://justin.tv/mathmind if you are interested.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

Live chicks being broadcast http://justin.tv/mathmind if you are interested.

I SEE POLISH CHICKS! :neckbeard:

However, I also see some dangerous things in her chick wonderland that would worry me no end...dangling string, pointy toothpicks, stuff like that. If chickens can hurt themselves on it, somehow they'll find a way.

We're about 5 1/2 weeks out from starting our incubator, our girls are really ramping up egg production and I'm hoping a few of the others will start up by then so we get a good selection. We're aiming for a set date of March 30th and a hatch date of April 20th, give or take. Right now the girls in lay are all of last year's and the year before's girls--Brahmas, Giant Cochins, Barred Rock, New Hampshire, Red Star, Americaunas & d'Uccles. Hope by the end of March that we'll also have another Americaunas & Giant Cochin, Buff Orp, White Leghorn, Brinkotter & Salmon Faverolle eggs. Weedcat (splash Giant Cochin) and Bloop (MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle) will be dads. I'm really hoping to have a broody hen at hatch so the chicks will have a mama, too.

Everyone else is too old to come into lay without it being a totally indecent 'gramma's a cougar' thing, so they are excused. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

However, I also see some dangerous things in her chick wonderland that would worry me no end...dangling string, pointy toothpicks, stuff like that. If chickens can hurt themselves on it, somehow they'll find a way.

Right now the girls in lay are all of last year's and the year before's girls--Brahmas, Giant Cochins, Barred Rock, New Hampshire, Red Star, Americaunas & d'Uccles. Hope by the end of March that we'll also have another Americaunas & Giant Cochin, Buff Orp, White Leghorn, Brinkotter & Salmon Faverolle eggs. Weedcat (splash Giant Cochin) and Bloop (MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle) will be dads. I'm really hoping to have a broody hen at hatch so the chicks will have a mama, too.

Everyone else is too old to come into lay without it being a totally indecent 'gramma's a cougar' thing, so they are excused. :keke:

Awwww...gramma cougars need love too! And it would be nice for some of the older ladies to pass on their genes. ;)
I can hardly wait to see what Weedcat's and Bloop's kids will look like!

As for that other chicken cam, I also thought the baby chicks' environment was much too cluttered and "busy." It actually made me nervous to watch those chicks! There were way too many things for the little chicks to bang into. What those chicks need is a simple, old dirt clod!

I also didn't care for how that person positioned their camera. I prefer the way VS does her chickcam, where the babies can walk right up to, and interact with, the webcam...makes things more fun and interesting! :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We're about 5 1/2 weeks out from starting our incubator, our girls are really ramping up egg production and I'm hoping a few of the others will start up by then so we get a good selection. We're aiming for a set date of March 30th and a hatch date of April 20th, give or take. Right now the girls in lay are all of last year's and the year before's girls--Brahmas, Giant Cochins, Barred Rock, New Hampshire, Red Star, Americaunas & d'Uccles. Hope by the end of March that we'll also have another Americaunas & Giant Cochin, Buff Orp, White Leghorn, Brinkotter & Salmon Faverolle eggs. Weedcat (splash Giant Cochin) and Bloop (MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle) will be dads. I'm really hoping to have a broody hen at hatch so the chicks will have a mama, too.

HOORAY CHICKAM! I am so excited. Thank you for the heads up in case I need to take time off work to watch baby chicks hatch. I have read that Cochin go broody frequently, so perhaps the odds are good you will have a mama available?

The Justin TV person, I gave her your web site address VS. She is a first time chicken owner. She ordered 27 chicks from a hatchery and they all arrived and are still alive!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Inveigle posted:

I also didn't care for how that person positioned their camera. I prefer the way VS does her chickcam, where the babies can walk right up to, and interact with, the webcam...makes things more fun and interesting! :)

Especially for the infamous "WEEEEEEEEEDCAT!" yells when the cam goes down from a chick rush at the screen. Or nice closeups of Spaghetti's "PoopybuttCam".

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Vaga42Bond posted:

Especially for the infamous "WEEEEEEEEEDCAT!" yells when the cam goes down from a chick rush at the screen. Or nice closeups of Spaghetti's "PoopybuttCam".

Velvetsparrow and 12_String have the best camera setups for close-up cam shots. :)

The most popular of my Youtube Chickam videos is: Close Up of Sleepy Baby Yellow Chick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-exh_iwO2Q&NR

For those curious, my second most-popular video is: Smokey the Rooster Frightens Baby Chicks. So adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsO5XsVOJec

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Velvetsparrow and 12_String have the best camera setups for close-up cam shots. :)

For those curious, my second most-popular video is: Smokey the Rooster Frightens Baby Chicks. So adorable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsO5XsVOJec

I'm pretty sure that at least thirty of those views for the Smokey video were me. I love how the chicks just disappear in the corner.

This video was recommended after I watched the Smokey video for the 31st time. Jake the Rooster calls his ladies over for treats. http://youtu.be/TZ8692hhQHs Jake is awesome.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

You have the best videos of prior Chickam Inveigle! I ALWAYS look at those videos! I am getting so excited! Did I hear mention the title of Spawn of Weedcat?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

HOORAY CHICKAM! I am so excited. Thank you for the heads up in case I need to take time off work to watch baby chicks hatch. I have read that Cochin go broody frequently, so perhaps the odds are good you will have a mama available?

The Justin TV person, I gave her your web site address VS. She is a first time chicken owner. She ordered 27 chicks from a hatchery and they all arrived and are still alive!

Awesome, she's doing a good job then. :) Yeah if she needs any help I'd be glad to offer it.

Inveigle, I do believe the 'Sleepy Yellow Chick' is Weedcat...or Roostroyer.

The problem with older parents is that you tend to get more chicks with problems, as I've learned firsthand--either at hatch or that show up later on, especially seemingly healthy birds that just drop dead a year or so after hatch. :smith: Older parents also lend themselves to eggs that develop and either quit or end up fully developed but dead in shell or malformed. This year it'll be interesting to see what happens not only with a young flock as parents but chicks from birds that hatched up here at the higher altitude--I hope to God that both these qualities help give us a better, healthier hatch.

I've been kicking around a thread title for this year...last year was 'Wrath of Weedcat' so maybe something referencing the girls, especially if we have a broodymama. :keke:

As for naming, I think I may START the thread 2 days early (gotta be ready for those stinkin' d'Uccle eggs to hatch early tho, the brats) and let people post name suggestions, then at hatch pick names out of a hat as the eggs hatch...it may cut some of the frantic activity around here at hatch time. :supaburn:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
One week till my hatchery surprise ships! I can't wait to target train my little chicks!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I've been kicking around a thread title for this year...last year was 'Wrath of Weedcat' so maybe something referencing the girls, especially if we have a broodymama. :keke:

VS: I had suggested "The Return of Weedcat" and you changed it to the much better "Wrath of Weedcat." Perhaps a reference to Bloop or the Millies this year? I can hardly wait to see what eggs you get from your flock for the hatch. It would be awesome to have a broody mama hen for this year's Chickam. Any good prospects in the hens? :)

Unprofessional: I'm so pumped about seeing what you get in your "Hatchery Surprise"...it's like a chicken grab bag! Do you have a video camera? (like in your cel phone). You should record the "unboxing" of your cheeping box of chicks (and turkeys/ducks). LOL! So exciting! :D

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Inveigle posted:

Unprofessional: I'm so pumped about seeing what you get in your "Hatchery Surprise"...it's like a chicken grab bag! Do you have a video camera? (like in your cel phone). You should record the "unboxing" of your cheeping box of chicks (and turkeys/ducks). LOL! So exciting! :D

That would be so cool - the unboxing of the chicks! That is a great idea Inveigle!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Call of Chiculhu

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Vaga42Bond posted:

Call of Chiculhu

In the mountain of bawkness.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

unprofessional posted:

One week till my hatchery surprise ships! I can't wait to target train my little chicks!

Will they then poop on unsuspecting people on command? :v:

I agree--if you can, video the unboxing so we can see what you get, please! Vicarious chick shipments are like Christmas presents...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Vaga42Bond posted:

Call of Chiculhu

Chido posted:

In the mountain of bawkness.

These are great. Love the idea of The Call of Chickthulhu. For the literary fans out there, the actual Lovecraft book titles are "The Whisperer in Darkness" and "At the Mountains of Madness." Other famous Lovecraft books are "The Horror at Red Hook," "The Dunwich Horror," and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." LOL! Even Lovecraft's book titles give me the creeps! :D

And Unprofessional, please say that you'll video the unboxing of the magical "Cackle Hatchery Surprise" package. I'm sure you'll have someone there to assist you anyway. Who can resist a box of loudly-cheeping bird babies? :)

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Unfortunately, no video cam or spiffy phone with said capabilities.

I do have a very nice macro lens, though! There will be plenty of pics and plenty of ID'ing needed!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I want this :stare:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coops/Hobbit-Hole-Chicken-Coop-Med-Ships-Free-p1236.aspx

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Those flowers wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hahaha! The Hobbit Coop is really cute! But yeah, the flowers would be immediately devoured. You'd have to put in new flowers every day!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

That hole isn't big enough for Roo's fluffy butt. :keke:

That said, I want one, too! Gonna have to see about building something because $2400, drat!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Hey guys, I can't afford a hobbit hole stripclub for the henhoes, but I just ordered this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/rubbermaid-6-ft-4-in-x-4-ft-8-in-slide-lid-shed-1800005.html#.USgMTldfvDc and I'm gonna modify it to be my new coop. I spent about the same in it as if I had bought the materials and built a new one, and since it's plastic I can clean it more easily.

Yay new coop soon!

Chido fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 23, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Let me tell you of my lovely chickens! I am currently trying to figure out where I stored my camera for safekeeping, so no pictures for now. I'll post pictures as soon as I can!

There are currently two chooks, Kali and Alecto. They're both egg-laying hybrids, because farmers love them some hybrid vitality, but they've got a lot of Australorp in them; so, they're black and fat and fluffy and lovely and turn green and purple in the sun. Whatever else was mixed in gave Alecto lovely red-gold chest feathers and eyebrows and a grey face, and made Kali a lot bitier than most Australorps I have had the pleasure of knowing. Needless to say, she is the dominant chook. She is kind of dumb, even for a chicken, but very brave and very happy to be picked up and cuddled and carried around in horse food buckets. Alecto is not as cuddly, but a lot smarter: it only took her a day to figure out that she could leave her pen in the morning to run around, then go back in to lay an egg, and then go back out again!

Their living arrangements are quite nice for two chickens. Their pen is about 2 metres high, 2 metres wide, and 3 metres deep. There is a nice big floor for them to scratch around on, with their feed tray and water dish suspended from the ceiling so it slowly rotates as they peck (meaning they don't have to walk the extra fifteen centimetres or whatever to eat from the other side), and so that they don't kick dirt and scraps up into their water, which is gross. They have a choice of three nesting boxes to use, filled with lovely straw, at the back of their pen; because they are silly, they prefer to use the one box right in the corner. They are frequently to be found both squashed into the one nesting box, because they are very smart. Above and behind this is their roost, which is mostly made of planks of wood and stumps and hardy cardboard boxes. They're very good at showing themselves in before it gets dark, but if I show up with delicious food as they're settling in for the night, they make a giant flying leap from the top of their roost all the way out their door, ending with a very graceful THUMP in the dirt.

During the day, they roam around the paddock they share with one fat, ageing pony. Consisting of the main paddock, the corral or whatever it is where the pony gets put when he founders, a disused dog pen, and the overgrown chicken pens, they have around 3 acres to do as they please. Alecto's favourite place is the fenced-off pony area, which is both very dusty and very shady, perfect for all-day dust baths; Kali's is wherever the pony's piles of poo have been stacked so she can scatter them, dig burrows, and forage for delicious worms and crickets. They have chicken neighbours at two of the five backyards that share fences with us: in the far corner is a flock of half a dozen or so of their sisters, and along one side live the local bantam roosters, their bevy of bantam beauties, and some truly Amazonian hens.

And now to detail their favourite foods to finish off this wall of chicken text! Kali is a very greedy chicken indeed, and will attempt to eat anything that even vaguely resembles tasty food. Her especial favourites are toes and beads on sandals or jewellery, though she is getting a lot better at that. Alecto loves foraging for tasty plant bits, such as grass seeds, squishy pigweed, and delicious lettuce buds. They go absolutely mad when it comes time for their daily tomato ration, composing of caterpillar-eaten, overripe, or mouldy cherry tomatoes. Their beady dinosaur eyes light up and they thrash those tomatoes open, fling the seeds everywhere, and then scurry all over pecking up the remains. Lychees are not a staple of their diet, but when one is found getting mouldy at the bottom of a fruit bowl, they attack them with an almost disturbing viciousness and squish delicious lychee juice all over the place. Ignoring the tales I tell them of pigeons exploding, they absolutely love eating leftover cooked rice and pasta or weevil-infested rolled oats. Sticky rice is the one thing they will preferentially eat over their daily grain ration! They also have an odd fixation on boiled peanut shells, probably because of the high salt and the delicious crunch.

Naturally they obtain their own worms and snails too, supplemented by caterpillars and witchetty grubs from the garden, and mealworms from classroom experiments (I was surprised to learn here that all chickens love mealworms!). Oh and (GROSS ALERT), I made the mistake of visiting them early one morning with an uncovered skinned knee... Alecto very quickly taught me why that was a very, very bad idea, and that chicken bites can indeed hurt like the jiggery. It is very hard to deny that a chicken is a fat little dinosaur when you see its beady eyes glistening as it stalks you for the rest of the day and you realise "Oh god, my chicken wants to eat me."

Edit: In order to make up for not asking a question and not having cute pictures, I shall ask: I have heard that tomatoes are not actually good for chickens. Is that true? So many conflicting tales! I know they're supposed to be bad for dogs (not that they seem to mind). My chickens do love eating tomatoes, but if it's bad for them, I'm sure they will deal with it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 23, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Crows Everywhere, your hens sound awesome. :) When you can get a pic, please post one.

As far as I know tomatos are just fine for chickens--mine love them. I'd be a bit concerned about the boiled peanut shells causing a blockage in the crop/proventriculus in quantity, but I've never boiled a peanut shell so I don't know if they get soft enough to not be a concern...?

My hens also jam into one nest box out of the 6 that my husband made for them (all identical) and it's the one in the corner as well. Hens like to feel they are 'hiding' their eggs to protect them from predators. My girls love the little black landscape cloth privacy curtains I installed over the next box openings. :keke:

Chido, that shed door just might be big enough for Roo's fanny.

Also, THE FEED STORE HAD CHICKS TODAY! Super-friendly Australorps, Americaunas and the fattest, fluffiest, biggest Buff Orps ever. I resisted, although we stayed and played with them a while. My kid was doing 'can we please?' puppydog eyes at me but I reminded her that our hatch would happen soon.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chido, that shed door just might be big enough for Roo's fanny.

I don't know, I think Pancake is going to give Roo a run for his money. that reminds me, Roo's butt feathers are a bit poop stained. Should I try to give him a quick bath to clean them, or leave them like that? I wanted to give Baba/flake a bath but it's been cold again lately and with her being half bald, I don't know if I want to do that to her yet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
When they're fresh, the shells are quite soft: they come packaged in a kind of briney sludge which I'm sure is delicious if you have four tastebuds, like a chicken, or my father. They do harden out after a while of being on the ground, though. I've not had problems with them so far, but I'll add peanut shells to my list of things to scoop off the ground and put in the garden/worm farm/compost every day or two after all the delicious parts have been eaten.

Kali and Alecto haven't been through a winter yet (we are in Australia), but we put curtains on the nesting boxes and sides of the pen then. They might enjoy the nest curtains all year round. I'd been worried about them overheating (or forgetting that they could go into the nest still), but if your chooks and the neighbours' don't mind, it's probably okay!

Kali is usually the more sensible layer, but when she's in the nest, waiting to lay an egg, she picks up individual pieces of straw, one by one, and lays them on her back and attempts to stick them to her neck. I assume she's just very bored by the whole process, as, unlike Alecto, she is rarely broody and seems to spend the minimum amount of time laying and tending to an egg possible.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hey Crows, my last chooks were Australorp x Rhode Island Red crosses that were big and fluffy with terrible red eyes and were glossy black with the most gorgeous red on their chest. Your chickens sound like my old ones! They were extremely good layers and good fun to catch and force hugs upon.

Mine were super greedy and would run into each other and push each other down stairs and stuff. Really friendly in the morning. I wanna see pictures of yours! Show me some big black chickens!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Are my chickens broken? Aside from mealworms, chopped egg white, scratch and feed they seem awfully picky. Apples, cabbage, no luck..