Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
I am so happy that I got to see Bomb 4 times in the last week but am so sad I won't see Bomb ever again.

lessthankyle are you the guy that really likes Smith Street? Will (who is actually the sweetest guy ever) said they're planning a US tour this year/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

CodfishCartographer posted:

Streetlight made the official announcement of April 30th on their website, along with another new music clip: https://soundcloud.com/pentimentomusic/003-1

23 seconds... TOM! :argh:

The instrumental break 13 seconds in, :fap: Why must you torture me so Tom? :smith:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, these clips just sound like more Somewhere in the Between. Does Tomas ever plan on doing something new with the band's sound? If the album is going to be more of this, I'll be giving it a pass.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, these clips just sound like more Somewhere in the Between. Does Tomas ever plan on doing something new with the band's sound? If the album is going to be more of this, I'll be giving it a pass.

I'm asking this in an honest way, what more do you want?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

This is amusing, since any time a band tries something new with their sound, everyone freaks out and calls them terrible and asks why they don't do more of the same thing they always did (like RBF, Big D, LTJ).

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

ObsidianBeast posted:

This is amusing, since any time a band tries something new with their sound, everyone freaks out and calls them terrible and asks why they don't do more of the same thing they always did (like RBF, Big D, LTJ).

In Reel Big Fish's case, Cheer Up is easily their best album.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Wait, In With The Out Crowd isn't LTJ's best album!?

edit: I like to pretend Strictly Rude is Big D's last canon album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I feel like the RX Bandits went through that kind of backlash every single time they released a new album.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Well the RX Bandits never really had a consistent album-to-album "sound" in the way that every Reel Big Fish album sounds kind of similar or every earlier Big D album sounds kind of similar. I just feel like they went further and further off the deep end and went from sounding like early Bosstones to sounding like Guster.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Well the RX Bandits never really had a consistent album-to-album "sound" in the way that every Reel Big Fish album sounds kind of similar or every earlier Big D album sounds kind of similar. I just feel like they went further and further off the deep end and went from sounding like early Bosstones to sounding like Guster.

I was just trying to make a funny :cry:

Seriously though, The Resignation and And the Battle Begun are loving awesome albums

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Why Do They Rock So Hard? is my favorite RBF album by a country mile.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I feel like the RX Bandits went through that kind of backlash every single time they released a new album.

They evolved over time but the results were mixed. I liked Progress and ... And The Battle Begun, but I thought the first one was awful -- I don't even remember the name -- and I thought The Resignation was very hit-or-miss. I barely remember Mandala and if they've done anything since I don't know about it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Grandmaster.flv posted:

edit: I like to pretend Strictly Rude is Big D's last canon album.

Going along with this, I always get mad when Strictly Rude gets trashed, because aside from Deadpan and Snakebite, which I'm not entirely sure aren't the same song, that album was pretty drat good. Not Gipsy Hill, but it sure as gently caress wasn't Doped Up Dollies or whatever that steaming pile of poo poo was called.

e: Fluent In Stroll, those 5 minutes I forgot the title were some of the best in my life.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 19, 2013

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mandala was kind of boring and I don't think it's a coincidence that there were no horns at all on it. They broke up soon after, I think they're all doing different things and I don't think any of them were ska-related.

Thing is, even though Progress/Resignation/Battle Begun were increasingly less and less ska-oriented, the horns were still very much a part of the music, leading to some awesome horn lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyd0D03YaQY&t=21s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvrOHjfxLvI

I loved the Bandits not just because they were an awesome band, but because they kind of pushed the boundaries of ska in a pretty unique way, and it bums me out not that they were constantly evolving their sound, but that they seemed to really try to distance themselves from the whole ska thing in general.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I loved Mandala, it was my least favorite of their Albums, but that's hardly a defamation

this loving song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgPVefAbVU

e: also, Matt Embree's voice gives me the tinglies

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2013

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Gabbleduck posted:

I am so happy that I got to see Bomb 4 times in the last week but am so sad I won't see Bomb ever again.

lessthankyle are you the guy that really likes Smith Street? Will (who is actually the sweetest guy ever) said they're planning a US tour this year/

That's awesome news. If they come back to BK, I wouldn't put it past Jeff doing something at the same show.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

lessthankyle posted:

That's awesome news. If they come back to BK, I wouldn't put it past Jeff doing something at the same show.

Me neither. They're all in love with each other.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pretend I posted RX Bandits- Infection because I'm on a phone and can't.

They're playing Skate & Surf even though I'm 99% sure they played a farewell show in 2011.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Wait, In With The Out Crowd isn't LTJ's best album!?

Jesus gently caress that thing's an abortion.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Pretend I posted RX Bandits- Infection because I'm on a phone and can't.

They're playing Skate & Surf even though I'm 99% sure they played a farewell show in 2011.

That's pretty sweet, I didn't know they were bringing S&S back. I love that both S&S and Bamboozle (which was the original S&S) now exist simultaneously.

Wikipedia says they did a Brazil tour last year and that the breakup was more of a hiatus, but who knows?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first RxB album (released as The Pharmaceutical Bandits) was Those drat Bandits...

They recorded it while they were still in high school, and it's much more California Third Wave than their subsequent albums.

You're right about them distancing themselves from that sound, though.

I think it was Warped Tour 2002 or something when a fan kept yelling, "Teen Idol! For the love of God, play Teen Idol!"

Matt stopped and said, "Listen. Playing that song would be like loving an ex--that I don't even like."

It's a fun album, and quotes from the bonus track still pop into my head once-in-a-while, but I can see why a musician would want to move on.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I got my non-ska-friend to finally get it! All it took was one listen of Don't Stop Skanking off the new(ish) Reel Big Fish album. I threw BTMI and Streetlight and the Taxpayers and Toasters at him and all it took was Reel Big Fish. It's a Skamas miracle.

Edit: RBF should just throw dancehall parties, the new Streetlight makes me nervous but I actually quite liked Somewhere in the Between, and I would post daily in a celt rock thread. Gonna see Flogging Molly on March 8th. I haven't seen them since high school which was pre-Float, so I dunno if they're gonna be great or disappointing or what.

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy crap I can actually make it to that BTMI show next week in LA. Now to find someone who also has a magnificent BTMI-boner.

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 19, 2013

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
Rx Bandits is one my favorite bands. Personally, I think every album they put out was better than the previous one. As much as I liked them when they played ska music, the progressive rock or whatever genre it is they turned into is so good. I remember reading they called it GrooveTech or something like that. That style really showcased how good of musicians they were. Especially C-Gak. That man is a beast on the drums.

Also, best Rx Bandits side project is The Sound of Animals Fighting. Would love to see something new from them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgXx558cZhU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Mandala is the best Rx Bandits album and that was a fantastic band that got better with every release.

RIP

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I actually really like Those drat Bandits a lot for something unpolished. It's not quite Kearbey Nights level but I like what they have to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHM2c2FUDM

owns.

Although I used to hear this song on WFNX (RIP. 101.7 in Boston) a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG1S298Ytd4

FNX owned. They used to regularly play non-Impression that I Get Bosstones tracks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

FNX owned. They used to regularly play non-Impression that I Get Bosstones tracks.

FNX was the only station I've ever heard finish Green Day's Brain Stew and go straight into Jaded :911:
I heard them play Fall of Troy and Mars Volta sometimes too, that station was so good

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Edit: RBF should just throw dancehall parties, the new Streetlight makes me nervous but I actually quite liked Somewhere in the Between, and I would post daily in a celt rock thread. Gonna see Flogging Molly on March 8th. I haven't seen them since high school which was pre-Float, so I dunno if they're gonna be great or disappointing or what.

Your wish is my command.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

X Ray Monster posted:

The JB Conspiracy's new album - (Pretty sure they have a new album finally coming out. If their 4 song EP "The Calm" that came out a while ago is anything to go by, the album will be amazing)

Holy poo poo. Streetlight and JBC release an album in the same year? The end is nigh.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
But when does the new Johnstones album come out?

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

But when does the new Johnstones album come out?

They released an album last October called Suck. Did you hear that one yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyrA47s8cW8

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

This is why nobody takes Canada seriously

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

X Ray Monster posted:

I unironically want that but I can't find anywhere to buy it. Amazon doesn't even have it as a CD, or at least Amazon US doesn't.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

X Ray Monster posted:

Finally, an album to match Sex.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

guppy posted:

I unironically want that but I can't find anywhere to buy it. Amazon doesn't even have it as a CD, or at least Amazon US doesn't.

Try here on Stomp Records' page. http://www.unionlabelgroup.com/bands/18/johnstones/. There's a link on the right side of the page to buy it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks.

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
The Lions new album This Generation came out today. About halfway through it right now and it's awesome. Great ska/reggae album. It's the band I mentioned a few days ago with Deston Berry and Alex Désert of Hepcat on vocals. It's available on Spotify right now. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere else though.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/0e0m99zxFDnUwneG6uBGyF
This Generation

Guess I'll share another band I just found out about that you guys might like. A female fronted ska punk band called Upbeat Allstars. They have a really great sound and their singer is pretty awesome. Check out their album Wake Up.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/54bMBhlenQC7kmneUygUKS
The Boss
You Win

X Ray Monster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 26, 2013

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
An 8-bit version of Less Than Jake - All My Best Friends Are Metalheads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52xsAufg5I

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm seeing LTJ in Baton Rouge in March. Just happen to be down there for my g/f's family trip. Can't wait!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Have you ever wanted to feel suicidal? You should go to a Sublime with Rome concert.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Have you ever wanted to feel suicidal? You should go to a Sublime with Rome concert.

I feel like you're saying they put on a bad show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Whoa, from streetlightmanifesto.com:

quote:

Hello Friends
So, somehow, we’ve made it to 2013.
The band you know as Streetlight Manifesto started as a humble recording project in a New Jersey basement 10 years ago. While we were working on our first record, we never could have imagined that the music we were putting together would start a chain reaction in our lives that would result in our traveling the world for a decade, playing in countries we only read about, taking on the lives of full-time touring musicians for, essentially, our entire 20′s. When we finished that first album, we had hoped to put on a local show to celebrate its completion. That show turned into a tour, that tour turned into a few tours and those few tours eventually turned into a lifestyle. For 10 years now, Streetlight has been one of the biggest parts of our lives.

Today, it’s time to announce to our fans and friends that we’re turning the last page of this particular chapter of our lives. We’ve solidified plans to tour our well-traveled asses off for one last year, until the end of 2013, at which time we will be not necessarily be moving on from the band, but changing our approach to what we do with the majority of our time. More specifically, we will no longer be touring year round, nor will we be touring much at all anymore. We have decided to step away from the table before we get sick of our favorite meal; we’ve seen enough bands over the years grow old playing the same songs for decades, going through the motions, slowly fading, and more depressingly, continuing on for all the wrong reasons. We’re moving on to preserve what we created, to be able to look back on it proudly, before we find ourselves looking around and realizing that we’ve become what we swore we’d never be. In the last few years, we’ve all hit the 30 year mark, and we’re ready to try some new things; some of us are ready to do a little bit of the ol’ settling down, some of us are excited to pursue different musical avenues, and some of us just want to live a slightly less hectic lifestyle. We’re doing this now for all of these reasons, not to mention 10 years is nice, neat chunk of time to devote oneself to something before moving on. Doing this next year, at 11 years wouldn’t be nearly as dramatic, nor as poetic.

As for our actual plans for the future, this is what we have in mind: No more long tours and no more year round traveling. BUT! Streetlight is not actually breaking up, and we have no plans to ever do so, really. As of now, we still plan to play festivals, both in the US and overseas, occasional one-off shows here and there and even sporadic short-run tours. Hell, we may even do an extended tour a few years from now, who can say? One thing is certain, though: we will still make music together. We’ve recently submitted an album (The Hands That Thieve) to the record label we’ve been under contract with since the beginning, and with that, we are now free of a very contentious, very unhappy relationship (you may have heard, ha!) that has caused us much frustration and anguish over the years. We have no plans to ever sign with another label and we will happily continue to release records, on our own and on our own terms. Who knows, maybe now that we won’t be touring all the time, we can squeeze out records a bit faster than our usual snail’s pace.

SO! Today we announce The End Of The Beginning Tour, a multiple leg outing that will last until the end of the year, sort of like our last hurrah before we settle into Streetlight’s new mode. We’re doing two short runs in Europe (one in the UK including the Slam Dunk Festival shows and one on the mainland including Groezrock and Monster Bash), playing at this year’s Skate and Surf Fest, squeezing in a few college shows, then we’re heading across the USA in June for the first of two domestic tours. The first one is the shorter, smaller city leg, to be followed by a massive 6 week major city tour in the fall/winter, after which we will be bidding you all a semi-farewell. We will be announcing more legs and more shows as the year progresses. To be honest, we will likely never play the majority of the places we’re playing this year again, so come out for one or two last hurrahs with us. We’ll be playing the classics, new songs, acoustic and alternate versions of songs, you name it. We can pretty much guarantee we will do our utmost to make these last shows be some of the greatest of our 10 year existence. We are proud of what we’ve done, and more importantly HOW we’ve done it, and we plan on holding ourselves to that high standard throughout this year and onward.

So, enough rambling; we need to cut this short before the waterworks start. In closing: We are done being a full-time touring band, but not done as a band. Also, this can never be said too many times: we can’t stress or repeat enough how grateful we are to all of you for enabling us to live this life for a decade; to travel the world, to see and experience all that we had access to because of Streetlight has been the gift of a lifetime. Thank you, thank you, thank you. See you at the shows!