Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

You win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yeah something like this happened on our highway a few years ago. Someone was on the way to the dump, didn't bother securing his washer-dryer set in his pickup and poo poo out a top-load washer onto the left lane of the highway right after a blind corner. IIRC a Golf caught it in the nose and seriously injured the driver.

A lot of people have called me old fashioned for wanting blatantly ignorant sociopaths like that to have their hands cut off, but I think if anything it doesn't go far enough.

While not a mechanical failure, here's a video from another part of that highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVk126eilE TONGUE WEIGHT WHAT'S THAT?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Expedition? Or Explorer? I have an Explorer but for some reason I can't tell with the image.

Either way, I think a loving oven destroying your engine on the freeway is up there with "log falling off of a logging truck and careening through the windshield" on my pant-making GBS threads list. Not quite as high, but very close.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd rather take an oven to the nose than a piece of lumber or a sheet of plywood, since those can loving take your head off, but drat, I think I'll go with "none of the above" thanks.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Expedition? Or Explorer? I have an Explorer but for some reason I can't tell with the image.

I was thinking Ford SUV but the C pillar looks wrong versus my quick GIS.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah something like this happened on our highway a few years ago. Someone was on the way to the dump, didn't bother securing his washer-dryer set in his pickup and poo poo out a top-load washer onto the left lane of the highway right after a blind corner. IIRC a Golf caught it in the nose and seriously injured the driver.

A lot of people have called me old fashioned for wanting blatantly ignorant sociopaths like that to have their hands cut off, but I think if anything it doesn't go far enough.

While not a mechanical failure, here's a video from another part of that highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVk126eilE TONGUE WEIGHT WHAT'S THAT?

Doublepostan'

"Tankslappers" can happen with cars, too. I had a similar (but not as retarded) thing happen just recently while towing a motorcycle on a motorcycle trailer behind my Subaru. Jackass in the left lane decided to merge right into the corner of the trailer, causing it to whip side-to-side two or three times. I recovered (:smuggo:) by dropping it into fourth and speeding up to straighten it out (really, I was just trying to get away from the crazy person), but unfortunately the rear end who caused it sped off at 90+ mph into rush-hour traffic.

Pictures of the dents on both sides of the Subie:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good recovery. I always figured hammering it and trying to get up as much speed as possible was the way to tuck it back into shape but I dunno if I would be able to react fast enough to catch it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Previa_fun posted:

I was thinking Ford SUV but the C pillar looks wrong versus my quick GIS.

It's an Explorer.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

"Tried to buy it for a good price but the discount for the salvage title was already baked in"

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good recovery. I always figured hammering it and trying to get up as much speed as possible was the way to tuck it back into shape but I dunno if I would be able to react fast enough to catch it.

The camping and caravanning club (UK) actually recommends "firm, steady acceleration" to recover from "dangerous oscillation". The only problem with that is everyone considers themselves an expert & therefore tows >100% of their vehicle weight, meaning acceleration is not an option.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

The camping and caravanning club (UK) actually recommends "firm, steady acceleration" to recover from "dangerous oscillation". The only problem with that is everyone considers themselves an expert & therefore tows >100% of their vehicle weight, meaning acceleration is not an option.

Are they the ones that recommended the first generation Kia Cerato as a suitable tow vehicle?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Are they the ones that recommended the first generation Kia Cerato as a suitable tow vehicle?

Now, there is NOTHING wrong with the kia cer....wait, first generation? Sweet lord.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
IIRC, UK passenger car with a trailer means you're legally limited to 80kph. I remember someone telling me the Euro focus has a tow weight equal to its own mass for this reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

Yup.

Falkenbok posted:

IIRC, UK passenger car with a trailer means you're legally limited to 80kph. I remember someone telling me the Euro focus has a tow weight equal to its own mass for this reason.

60mph on a motorway, 50 on a 60 posted dual carriageway. Also max 750kg unbraked trailers.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I can't help but look at that and think 'photoshop'.

Not that I doubt the damage. I'd buy that a stove could indeed do that kind of damage to an SUV. It's just that the stove looks a little too perfect. I can't believe it would stay in one piece, let alone without any visible scratches or the like after falling off a vehicle and impacting another vehicle.

Seriously, it looks like I could take it off and put it in my kitchen as if I'd just bought it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It looks like they took the bumper/grille/engine/trans out and set the oven in the hollow because they're taking it all to the scrapyard dude.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

And in two posts this thread took a turn into bizarro-world.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Does this count? (My Flickr account, by the way.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It might, if I had any idea what the heck I was looking at.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

I would hazard a guess at the engine room fire on the cruise ship recently. Carnival Triumph IIRC.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Splizwarf posted:

It might, if I had any idea what the heck I was looking at.

That's the smoke from the engine fire on Carnival Triumph. My lens was a little fogged from the cold air.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You should post it in a smaller resolution so we really can't make anything out.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nitr0 posted:

You should post it in a smaller resolution so we really can't make anything out.

Happy?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

PhotoKirk posted:

That's the smoke from the engine fire on Carnival Triumph. My lens was a little fogged from the cold air.

So then I assume you were on it. I've always cruised on Carnival and still will, but man that seemed pretty lovely.

Edit: Pun was not intended.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Fermunky posted:

So then I assume you were on it. I've always cruised on Carnival and still will, but man that seemed pretty lovely.

Edit: Pun was not intended.
I don't think anyone would have dumped on you for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So what actually ignited? I thought it was a fire in the electrical generating system?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nmfree posted:

I don't think anyone would have dumped on you for that.

Bullshit, that stinks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

So what actually ignited? I thought it was a fire in the electrical generating system?

CNN posted:

Washington (CNN) -- The fire that crippled the Carnival cruise ship Triumph started with a leak in a fuel-oil return line running from one of the ship's engines, the U.S. Coast Guard said Monday.

Leaking oil hit a hot surface, starting the fire, said Teresa Hatfield, the lead investigator for the Coast Guard. Hatfield said there was no indication the leak in a flexible hose section was intentional.

"Fire suppression was immediately activated by the crew, first by waterfog and then by (carbon dioxide). They did a very good job," Hatfield said.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Few things from around the yard. Sorry for the crappy pictures from my phone.

Hitatchi 350 excavator. Isuzu 7.8L diesel

Volvo A30D brake disk. How does is even crack like that? Long run down a hill with the brakes on, and hit cold water?

D9L V-12.

Someone thought half a bottle of ether was a good idea.
You could honestly stick your arm in one side of the block out the other.

A30D turbo failure

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

PhotoKirk posted:

Does this count? (My Flickr account, by the way.)

Is it on fire there? That's how much cruise ships normally smoke when they are setting in port. The big spoiler thing is where all the different engine exhausts come out.

obso fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 19, 2013

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

obso posted:

I don't think it's on fire there. That's just how much cruise ships normally smoke when they are setting in port. Those big spoiler things is where all the different engine exhausts come out.

Um, she was on fire.

That was about 15 minutes after the firefighting teams were dispatched to the engine room.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Yeah I see some coming off the roof behind the GIANT tv there. But all of the black smoke up top looks normal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jork Juggler posted:

Something about those median cables really bothers me. It seems like they would perform well when arresting a vehicle, but perform terribly in many other ways. I suppose the benefits of reducing head-on collisions outweigh the danger posed to people outside of a car. I can't imagine what those things would do to a motorcyclist.

As a motorcyclist, they look like guillotines through a helmet.
But so do the single guardrails that are a foot off the ground.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I don't think that's the right way to do the Ranger front end swap.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
No picture yet, but it looks like the previous owner welded the harmonic balancer onto the crankshaft of my 327. Hopefully it's just welded to the remains of the bolt, and not the crank. Even if it is, what are the chances that it's a lovely weld with no penetration, since the early 327 has a forged crank and I'm sure they did no pre-heating?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd ask myself why he would do it to start with. hosed keyway?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I thought maybe the bolt broke in the crank, and the welder was closer than the machine shop. That's why maybe it's just welded to what's left of the bolt. Maybe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is that brake pipe? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's like a really tame version of that classic set of pictures of the people who ran over a mattress and didn't bother stopping.