Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is the server down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd like to put in a vote for switching to 2cc. There's not much strategy with the base trainset, just keep your network small until maglevs and run everything with chimeras.

or the less spergy nuts train set

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

This looks neat, we're trying it!

edit: Hmm our version doesn't seem to be compatible with it.

less than three fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 28, 2013

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
oh, its relatively new :negative: you might need to update to a newer one

edit: there's a newer cargo distribution client here

Dred_furst fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 28, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dred_furst posted:

oh, its relatively new :negative: you might need to update to a newer one

edit: there's a newer cargo distribution client here

I'm using Chill's patchpack, not just cargodist. :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

less than three posted:

I'm using Chill's patchpack, not just cargodist. :(

The patch pack is cool but it's very outdated, there's a lot of addons that have been updated and no longer run :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sincx posted:

Is the server down?

I think I crashed it last night trying to reschedule some trains.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

I think I crashed it last night trying to reschedule some trains.

Do we want to keep the same version with 2cc, or try 1.2.3 with NUTS.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like I can't live without automated timetables and some form of cargodist Not sure what else chili got us. On the other hand, we can't stay at some old version forever, so I'm torn...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

New version please!

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Is the server down or did it change addresses? (Or are we waiting on the new setup?) :D

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!
Let's play with NUTS.

Also, set the limit for road vehicles and airplanes higher. Probably ships and trains too. thanks in advance.

sithael fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 30, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

sithael posted:

Let's play with NUTS.

Looks like we have a new thread title option: "OpenTTD: Let's play with NUTS"

What options are there out there for new cargoes and resource pathways (As in, iron -> steel -> factory -> town)? I've done a bit with town growth challenge but it doesn't have full support with cars and trucks, and FIRS has so much going on, especially with the parts needed to maintain production that it's hard to have fun with.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Okay, server is up.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

can you put up the newgrf you added for NUTS? I can't seem to get the one from the previous link to work.

Edit: Check for online content area finds the file, but won't decompress it.

Darth Llama fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 30, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Darth Llama posted:

can you put up the newgrf you added for NUTS? I can't seem to get the one from the previous link to work.

Edit: Check for online content area finds the file, but won't decompress it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/229862/OpenTTD/nuts.grf

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

You'll also need the following grfs from the old archive, as they will not download automatically

newshipsw.grf
newstatsw.grf
tgcc.grf
tgci.grf

Put them in following folder

C:\Users\Username\Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\newgrf

(Three, do you want to consider removing them? They seem like very old grfs and are likely deprecated)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

sincx posted:

You'll also need the following grfs from the old archive, as they will not download automatically

newshipsw.grf
newstatsw.grf
tgcc.grf
tgci.grf

Put them in following folder

C:\Users\Username\Documents\OpenTTD\content_download\newgrf

(Three, do you want to consider removing them? They seem like very old grfs and are likely deprecated)

tgcc.grf and tgci.grf give us our expanded cargo types, so they're around to stay. We could get rid of the other two I suppose.

Here are all the GRFs.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/229862/OpenTTD/grf.7z

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 30, 2013

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Can we get a reset at some point in the near future? There are lots of trains in 2080, and the server is getting a bit laggy.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's pretty much unplayable on anything but a fast pc on a 100 mbit connection, and I seem to be the only one who can even get in any more (time hasn't progressed), so it's about time for a reset.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Map has been reset.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Just downloaded the pack in the OP.

Holy gently caress I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is it possible to just post a complete install with the grfs for this? I can't get the 4 missing ones to work at all. I put them in a folder called newgrf under content_download but no dice.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 9, 2013

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sylink posted:

Is it possible to just post a complete install with the grfs for this? I can't get the 4 missing ones to work at all. I put them in a folder called newgrf under content_download but no dice.

put them in /data/grf.

I'll make a new archive when I get home.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

yah I found more in the data folder and got it going. Thanks though!

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

less than three posted:

Map has been reset.

Forgive me, but I can't seem to connect to the server. Is it in the public servers list?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Server's been down for a while. I must play with my excessively-detailed internet trains :qq:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I recently tried starting a coal service and not only did I waste a ton of money doing it but my company ran into the red:

Is this because the Japanese train pack has different prices or is this just me sucking at making a good coal route?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Zeether posted:

I recently tried starting a coal service and not only did I waste a ton of money doing it but my company ran into the red:

Is this because the Japanese train pack has different prices or is this just me sucking at making a good coal route?

You want to do it over a heftier distance than that with more and longer trains. Ideally, you should always have one train waiting in the station at any one time as this increases output of the adjacent industry. I don't know about the GRF you're using though, perhaps it is quite pricey. Do keep an eye on running costs when selecting a locomotive and make sure you're using one suitable to the load you're carrying - coal wants a fairly good tractive effort but doesn't really need that much speed (especially if you've got wagon speed limits going on.)

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Zeether posted:

Jonnty got the bulk of it, but a couple other suggestions:

Near the middle, the inner track has a very sharp turn; try to avoid those as they come at pretty serious penalties for speed. In general, try to avoid turning the same direction (e.g. left-left, right-right) within one train length. On the other hand, s-bends (left-right, right-left) are okay and do not incur a penalty. Little things like this will speed up service and get you more cash. You can also use more involved station designs to get a bit more efficiency out of your track. The Double Terminus station is probably my favorite, though I usually do them without the depot.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

You'll also want to learn about path signals if you haven't already - the best way to do this is turn on the "show reserved paths" option in advanced settings then play around with them for a bit until you understand what's going on.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The thing is all the additional track/cost of building stations with 2 tracks kind of makes it hard for me to be able to build trains afterwards because by then I've used up so much cash I'm afraid I can't afford even a low level train.

I did try doing a coal route without the Japanese trains and was able to get a loop with block signals going, but I guess I should use path signals from now on since they're better.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I also wouldn't recommend immediately starting off with advanced layouts until your company's got some profit going, they cost a whole bunch up-front (specially since most custom trains are pretty pricey). Make some surplus money with some simple one-track routes first and then upgrade to more advanced stuff once you can afford it.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 19, 2013

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Or setup a couple airplane routes across the map and watch the cash roll in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just started using block signals, holy poo poo, my efficiency just shot up a ton. Someday, I'll learn what those other signals do, too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Path signals are gonna blow your loving mind.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Path signals are gonna blow your loving mind.

Just don't do what I did and end up creating this complicated mess of subway lines that keep jamming up because of some specific combination of timing and signals that SEEMS like it will never happen but inevitably does.

Deep down I know that putting stuff in a one-way loop is simpler to manage, but some stupid part of me always goes "Oh you can just use path signals to get them to share the same lines intelligently in both directions :downs:" when space is limited.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I've mastered path signals, but presignals are still a complete mystery to me however hard I try.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Metrication posted:

I've mastered path signals, but presignals are still a complete mystery to me however hard I try.

I tend not to use presignals all that much, mostly because path signals work absolutely fine for 99.5% of station/junction layouts.
The advantage presignals give you is when you have a stupidly busy station, possibly with multiple entries/exits, and your aim is to minimise the time each train spends passing through. The guide in the OP is pretty good at explaining how to use them.

Here's an example of mine from earlier in this thread, of a station with 3 entry points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I must learn more of these path signals.

• Locked thread