Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Tomb Raider explores the intense and gritty origin story of Lara Croft and her ascent from a young woman to a hardened survivor. Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold.

Developed by Crystal Dynamics starting back in 2009, the group have decided to take the franchise in a different direction but still keeping the action and puzzles but now mixing in a survival, cinematic and upgrade system that we have seen poorly executed in previous titles but shows great promise in some videos you can check out on the official site. Tomb Raider is not only a prequel to Lara Crofts adventures but in some senses a reboot to an IP that needed a break from the lime light.

The survival mechanic seems to limit the player in what they can do at first and creates a more intense sense of game play as Lara tries to escape wolf attacks, gorilla mercenaries and live through the harshness of nature itself.

The games industry seem to be really pushing for the game to be a success and the video interviews show a lot of commitment and the developers are being genuinely honest about the feedback they have gotten.

http://www.tombraider.com/gb/base/brandsitepreorder?refer=211&

Platforms Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC
Release date: 5th march worldwide

Gameplay features
>Base camp setup - act as hubs to quickly travel from one area of the island to the next
>XP and stat upgrades for weapons and Lara herself - Think Batman Arkham Asylum/City
>Metroidvania style areas - some areas are seen but inaccessible until you obtain or earn items/XP to open up new areas.
>Environmental hazards to you and the enemies that you can use to your advantage.
>QTE sections - I know some of you don't enjoy those, it looks well implemented
>Survival instinct - helps point out hidden items and puzzles.
>Treasure hunt and item collectibles

The game seems to be providing some interesting pre-order goodies depending on your region. The Steam store are giving away more bonuses the more pre-orders are made so be sure not to miss out on some DLC and free rather good co-op games.

NOTE - The Steam pre-order has hit its quota and now all pre-orders will come with the following:
One free copy of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
DLC "Tomb of the Lost Adventurer" Explore the final resting place of an intrepid adventurer, and solve a puzzle involving a crashed plane to claim your reward.
DLC Shanty Town Multiplayer Map: A ramshackle area features steep climbs, multiple ziplines for quick escapes, and deadly traps to set for your enemies.

Oh did I forget to mention? Yes this game has Multi-player not much is known but it seems to be based on small areas used to ambush and hunt other players.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/?snr=1_4_4__100_20

Videos/trailers
The graphics look incredible from how fire moves, to the rain effect plus the dark gritty scenery mixes so well with the action sequences and the static scenes.

Tomb Raider: "Survivor" Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YFtaYE-qQ&feature=youtu.be

Monastery Escape Gameplay Walkthrough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2NjZtEiosgA

Tomb Raider [UK] The Final Hours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJR1T-cGebQ&feature=youtu.be

:siren:Oh and just because some people don't seem to be sure, yes this Tomb Raider game actually has tombs to raid, glad we could clear that up.:siren:

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ronnie posted:

gorilla mercenaries

I wanna see this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
With one mispelt word you've just done a far better job of marketing and advertising this game than anyone involved with it's production, OP.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

That was a really slick and professional promo video.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Thanks Dan, with that typo fixed I hope Square Enix takes me on as it's PR spokesman!

I always found the earlier games to be incredibly tedious and some puzzles can slow the game to a screeching halt but I like what they have done so far or what they are showing. I am a little weary we haven't seen many actual game play trailers and prey this isn't going to be like Aliens Colonial marines where we get a huge song and dance, then are greeted with mediocre triple A garbage.

The developers do seem to be pushing my buttons and I sure hope this game offers what it promises, because the whole survive alone on a stormy island full of danger sounds like a good romp!

So yeah key collecting isn't my bag but murdering deer and potential rape! That's what I look for in my games.

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 19, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
This is the first interesting Tomb Raider game since... well...

This is the first interesting Tomb Raider game. Looks like a very nice mix of Arkham Asylum, Far Cry 3 and Uncharted. Still not sure how the gameplay works exactly (lack of videos is kinda worrying), but the Monastery Escape Walkthrough is very cool. I'm surprised that this reboot is so brutal, I'm pretty sure I just saw Lara die by a huge branch puncturing her chin and brain :stare:.

edit: Yup, that's it. That's some Dead Space poo poo right there.
VVVVVVVVV

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2013

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Is this really what people want from a tomb raider game?

SpaceGirlArt
Mar 29, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

Jesus Christ. Is this really just a game gently layered around a long series of gruesome death sequences?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

...Well kind of now.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SpaceGirlArt posted:

Jesus Christ. Is this really just a game gently layered around a long series of gruesome death sequences?

That one really nice Resident Evil had some of that and was a good game. As long as they don't go too crazy with scripted 'holy crap' deaths ala games that Sierra made back in the day then it'll be fine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's a wierd, slightly off-kilter subculture on sites like youtube surrounding gruesome player character deaths in games and Tomb Raider is a game that often tops those lists and compilations, etc. etc. Ignoring that, though, the death sequences have been a part of Tomb Raider since day one effectively and it seems like they're really committing to the idea of a survival game and making the island and it's inhabitants something that can kill you, which is interesting and seems like it's the right move.

That said, the entire pre-amble to this game's release has inexorably colored the tone of the violence and the graphic content in this game and if I were the publisher, I'd be easing off on showing off that angle and probably delving into showing more of the open, non-linear areas instead.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Video game marketing is based around the idea of how cool it is to kill people/see people dying. Why would they want to show any of that?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I haven't been too interested in this game and I started getting sick of the ledge hopping of the 2nd trilogy. I recently went back to playing the old games and I still enjoy them because they do have some interesting parts and environments.

I have been turned off by the marketing for this game. But I also get a Far Cry 3 vibe from the game as well

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Dan Didio posted:

There's a wierd, slightly off-kilter subculture on sites like youtube surrounding gruesome player character deaths in games and Tomb Raider is a game that often tops those lists and compilations, etc. etc. Ignoring that, though, the death sequences have been a part of Tomb Raider since day one effectively and it seems like they're really committing to the idea of a survival game and making the island and it's inhabitants something that can kill you, which is interesting and seems like it's the right move.

That said, the entire pre-amble to this game's release has inexorably colored the tone of the violence and the graphic content in this game and if I were the publisher, I'd be easing off on showing off that angle and probably delving into showing more of the open, non-linear areas instead.

This. Tomb Raider always had really gruesome deaths, they just never had the technology at the time to show it. Lara falling in one of the billions of spike pits in TR2 was just a really low res version of that. Crushed by rocks, eaten by sharks, TR deaths were always gruesome. As long as the new game keeps that feeling from Legend when you enter some giant cave or room with different paths to go through and like 4 connected puzzles where you sit down and do that Indiana Jones crouch where you drop to a knee and rub your chin while looking around figuring out how you're going to navigate stuff, it'll be a great addition to the series.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone knows where you can adquire this game the cheapest? Or if there's gonna be an extra sale on Steam? 10% off before reviews doesn't cut it for me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

Yes. Half the fun of Tomb Raider is killing Lara in the most horrible ways. Who didn't take the occasional swan dive off a neck-breakingly high cliff?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

OxMan posted:

This. Tomb Raider always had really gruesome deaths, they just never had the technology at the time to show it. Lara falling in one of the billions of spike pits in TR2 was just a really low res version of that. Crushed by rocks, eaten by sharks, TR deaths were always gruesome. As long as the new game keeps that feeling from Legend when you enter some giant cave or room with different paths to go through and like 4 connected puzzles where you sit down and do that Indiana Jones crouch where you drop to a knee and rub your chin while looking around figuring out how you're going to navigate stuff, it'll be a great addition to the series.

I guess the problem I have with this is that the new trilogy did have the technology, and there is nothing in there nearly as gruesome as what is shown in that gif. Even if it was, it usually occurred off screen such as if you failed a QTE

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Well, in a weird way, TR games ended up feature Lara dying a lot, it is weird to seeing them actually focus on that though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the way, if anyone is curious about the Scavenger Hunt preorder promo Gamestop is doing, it's pretty simple:

Every Monday, you get a trivia question and a photo challenge. The trivia is always about the game, and the answers can be easily Googled. The photo challenges make you take a picture of something. This week's was "Something that makes music", last week's was a boat (Real or toy), the week before was "Someone you admire" etc.

One catch is that they only permit you to participate in the photo challenges if you add a picture of yourself to your profile. As far as I can tell they don't use this photo for anything and nobody else sees it, but they require it.

Completing the challenges earn you sweepstakes entries for stuff you're not actually going to win, and DLC for when the game comes out. They all seem to be skill boosts. I'm not sure if they're early unlocks or exclusive though.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I fail the rape QTE do I have to play a series of rehab and psychiatry minigames?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

notZaar posted:

Yes. Half the fun of Tomb Raider is killing Lara in the most horrible ways. Who didn't take the occasional swan dive off a neck-breakingly high cliff?

I have found memories of finding ways of getting yourself killed in the tutorial mansion level of the first Tomb Raider.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I am actually pretty excited for this game because it looks like a gritter Uncharted, which I'm totally fine with. I was going to get this for the PS3 but I picked it up for cheap in SAMart.

Apparently they did say a while ago that the PC port will be pretty good. (Of course anyone can just say that) but yeah. I don't know how much of a role that a publisher might take in QAing PC ports, but Square Enix published Sleeping Dogs and the PC port for that came out pretty fine.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Liquid Penguins posted:

Reminds me of of those first Aeon Flux shorts where Aeon dies gruesomely in every episode. Pretty bizarre for a triple A Ubisoft Squeenix title.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 20, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
This looks actually pretty interesting, with some cool stuff happening with cover degradation when enemies shoot at you.

The only thing that aggravates me is that the new voice actress is a) not very good and b) not very English. She's spent far too long in LA and picked up some terrible rhoticity.

I understand why they abandoned Keeley Hawes, as they needed a new voice, but they really could have picked somebody with better enunciation :(

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Reminds me of of those first Aeon Flux shorts where Aeon dies gruesomely in every episode. Pretty bizarre for a triple A Ubisoft title.

Tomb Raider isn't Ubisoft in this case, it's developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by SquareEnix.

Also the OP doesn't mention multiplayer, which this game will have. I don't know if there's anything special about it, but I imagine it's similar to Uncharted's MP. The multiplayer portion is being worked on by Eidos Montreal, the same guys who did Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Wait... Multiplayer! I didn't see that anywhere! How would that even work!? Thanks for the heads up.

As for the gruesome deaths; it is a stple of the previous games in some crude fashion but I think they add more tension to the game, watching you mess up and having Lara suffer for it makes you want her to survive and try harder at succeeding, plus it's less lazy then just having the game fade to black or have her body go in to doll physics.

I remember in the old games jumping off high cliffs and having Lara scream as she plummets to her death always made me wince and feel kinda bad for screwing up. Then I decided to blame it on the camera. :)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Honestly, the violent deaths bother me, but ultimately more so because we've literally seen more footage of Lara getting beaten up and murdered than we have of any actual gameplay. I don't know what the systems handle like, I haven't seen a single tomb or new moves, I don't know who any of the characters are, but I sure as hell know that Lara can die violently. The marketing on this is so hosed.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
IGN did a full hour of gameplay while a live audience watched (it actually crashes in the first 3 minutes and they had to reload the game). They also take a bunch of questions from the audience at the end. The gameplay looks solid enough, though I really don't care for QTEs in any game ever.

I don't really think there's any chance of it being an A:CM situation at this point. We've seen plenty of examples of what we're going to get.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Honestly, the violent deaths bother me, but ultimately more so because we've literally seen more footage of Lara getting beaten up and murdered than we have of any actual gameplay. I don't know what the systems handle like, I haven't seen a single tomb or new moves, I don't know who any of the characters are, but I sure as hell know that Lara can die violently. The marketing on this is so hosed.

People like to see pretty girls killed in unpleasant ways. It's the basis of a million horror movies and all those creepy-rear end videos on youtube of female characters getting killed in games like resident evil.

Lets not start that debate though, an argument on misogyny is a surefire way to get the thread locked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, this is what makes the death stuff so uncomfortable. Every time I look for stuff on this game I'm just bombarded with "Lara dies horribly" or "Lara is endangered and weak" poo poo. It really is like someone is advertising a snuff film game, except even freaking Manhunt showed more gameplay than this.

There is gameplay footage out there but it inexplicably isn't the focus of the marketing.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more

Spalec posted:

People like to see pretty girls killed in unpleasant ways. It's the basis of a million horror movies and all those creepy-rear end videos on youtube of female characters getting killed in games like resident evil.

Lets not start that debate though, an argument on misogyny is a surefire way to get the thread locked.

There's a difference though. Pretty girls getting murdered in horror films (outside of poo poo like SAW) are usually gratuitously sexualised and get killed for being dumb or making dumb decisions. And it's often done in a humourous way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRJWz8QO8ag NSFW I guess.
The pretty but not overly sexual protagonist female (read Neve Campbell for Lara Croft) isn't stupid and usually escapes being murdererd and there's nothing remotely funny about a static blood stained camera lingering on showing us our lead character trying to pull a spike out of her brain. It's just unpleasent.

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.
I really want this game to be good, but the scarcity of actual game footage is really off-putting and I think this is gonna have to be a game where we wait until release to find out how it actually plays.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This is the only game I have ever per-ordered, ever.

This game will loving rule, and I was waiting so hard for a real thread.

That hour long IGN playthrough takes away all my fears. The combat isn't exactly what I wanted, but its the cool hip thing to do in games now so I will let it slide.

The only real kinda bad thing they did was in the IGN video Lara kills probably over 50+ men and shes acting like a scared girl in all the cut scenes, but when you have control of her shes an ultimate bad-rear end.

But I can overlook that.

halwain
May 31, 2011
So are there actual Tombs to explore or is this just Uncharted: Lara Croft edition?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I don't exactly trust the brand or the studio, so I am going to give this one a cautious rent. If it ends up being Uncharted 2, GOTY good, I'll pick it up.

It will probably be a lot like Legend, the only game in this series I have liked - 8 hours, never play again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

halwain posted:

So are there actual Tombs to explore or is this just Uncharted: Lara Croft edition?

There are, supposedly.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
If it lives up to its promises, this game would be pretty awesome, but I'm thinking that we're ultimately going to get a sort of blend of Uncharted and Resident Evil. That's what all the footage has basically looked like. If they can put some really smart level design into the game, you may have a solid title, but I'd like to play it first before I form an opinion, or at least watch somebody play the first thirty minutes and see how the gameplay works.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've slowly had my enjoyment of the Tomb Raider games whittled down wich each installment, from the boxing day of 1997 when I purchased Fifa '97 for my brand new Playstation while my dad chose Tomb Raider 1 through to dad buying Chronicles and me not even touching it to purchasing Anniversary on day of release and getting a sealed TRA box with a copy of Legend inside it.

But I'm kinda hoping this game is at least half-way decent since theres been gently caress all games wise this year.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

RentCavalier posted:

If it lives up to its promises, this game would be pretty awesome, but I'm thinking that we're ultimately going to get a sort of blend of Uncharted and Resident Evil. That's what all the footage has basically looked like. If they can put some really smart level design into the game, you may have a solid title, but I'd like to play it first before I form an opinion, or at least watch somebody play the first thirty minutes and see how the gameplay works.

Theres an IGN video where they play for an hour. It really did put all my fears to rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9i_U9y4BWI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Hizawk posted:

Theres an IGN video where they play for an hour. It really did put all my fears to rest.

Fair enough, I'll have to look for it. My Tomb Raider experience has been with the PS2 reboot (the one that everyone really liked, not the one everyone really hated) and with Anniversary on the PS3 and I've found both to be cumbersome to play, sporting awkward control schemes and really dodgy platforming, with confusing level design and a terrible camera.

Well, the PS2 one was alright, actually, it was just very boring. I swapped it for God of War and never looked back.

• Locked thread