Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Valdara posted:

Edit: Sorry. Wrong thread.

Mostly because this thread actually has activity, unlike the other one which goes days or weeks between people responding to posts or answering questions.

If it is actually that slow, does it need to be a separate thread? I guess it can be really hard for people who are trying to get pregnant to read about other people who are pregnant and have babies and stuff, but on the other hand, you're probably going to get more positive experiences and information from here...?

I don't really want to derail this one so PM me if you have opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just post in the conceiving thread. A lot of people look at it and answer questions when posted.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Simon:

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

LOL this is the best. Attitude from day one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

pixie delights posted:

Hi pregnancy thread! :) I wanted to say thanks for all the informative posts(especially the cloth diapering ones!)

I'm finally about to be in my third trimester(28 weeks friday!), so it's starting to feel like crunch time. I was wondering if anyone here has had a home birth or know someone who has? I had my last in the hospital, and it was just a negative experience. After a lot of thought, we've decided to try for a home water birth this time(assuming my pregnancy continues to be low risk). No one I know has attempted one, so I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts.

I had a birth center birth and then two home births. I had wonderful, skilled midwives who traveled with medication such as pitocin and also carried oxygen. My children's births went really well and I wouldn't hesitate to give birth at home again if I was having more babies (but we're done). If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me or ask here or whatever.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Alterian posted:

Just post in the conceiving thread. A lot of people look at it and answer questions when posted.

Fair enough; I'll keep such things out of here until it's for sure, and when it is try keep my frantic wailing out of here, anyway.

Although I think this next question does belong here. I'm a little confused about measuring dates. Whenever a woman is confirmed pregnant, does she jump from "not pregnant" to "four weeks!" or however long since her last cycle just like that? Or does dating not really begin until a doctor takes a look at the actual proto-baby?

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
While it's pretty slim to get an infection from an internal exam, I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me. I had gone to the ER on a Friday night when I had started bleeding at 11 weeks, had a trans vag exam done to confirm miscarriage...Sunday morning I ended up back in the ER hemorrhaging with a fever. I thought it was odd that I would get a fever so quickly, but I realized later if I was dilated during that first exam, I could have picked up something then. I actually didn't check to see if I had a fever till after I started hemorrhaging, because it was one of those things on the "come back right away" checklist they gave me, so I could have had the fever longer. The fact that I had cups of blood pouring out of me should have been the first clue I needed to go back in, but at that point of blood loss I guess your brain just stops working, so even though I had every thing on the checklist checked off I still didn't think I needed to go back in till I passed out on the bathroom floor. I ended having to be admitted for 2 days to the hospital. $6000 and I didn't even get a baby out of it :(

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Valdara posted:

Fair enough; I'll keep such things out of here until it's for sure, and when it is try keep my frantic wailing out of here, anyway.

Although I think this next question does belong here. I'm a little confused about measuring dates. Whenever a woman is confirmed pregnant, does she jump from "not pregnant" to "four weeks!" or however long since her last cycle just like that? Or does dating not really begin until a doctor takes a look at the actual proto-baby?

They count from the first day of the last period, which is generally fourish weeks prior to a positive test.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

They count from the first day of the last period, which is generally fourish weeks prior to a positive test.

Yep, so while your actual baby is two weeks old, YOU are four weeks pregnant, and practically all the pregnancy calendar thingies count your pregnancy weeks, not actual number of weeks baby har technically existed. This had me a little confused at first too.

I had six week cycles, so while my doctor counted from first day of my last period since that's just what they do, I kept my own private count from four weeks before the positive test (since I'd had a negative one the day before I felt pretty confident in doing that), and sure enough, my due date was moved two weeks back at the ultrasound.

More on topic, the incredibly vivid dreams, mostly nightmares, I'm having are driving me and my poor husband bonkers.
Last week he cheated on me in my sleep, then he had children with another woman that he'd forgotten to tell me about, then I showed up at someone elses wedding wearing my own wedding dress, and this morning he drove our car off a cliff with us in it. I've offered to sleep in the guest bedroom so he can get some rest, but he refused, because "I have to be there to wake you up when you're crying!" :unsmith: He really is amazing, which is what makes these dreams so drat frustrating - I never dream about losing the baby or anything like that, which would be understandable, just that he's being a massive shithead in some way, or that I'm embarrasing myself horribly somehow, and the dreams feel more real than any I've ever had.
No one told me pregnancy would entail nightly horrorfests BEFORE the baby was actually here.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

More on topic, the incredibly vivid dreams, mostly nightmares, I'm having are driving me and my poor husband bonkers.
Last week he cheated on me in my sleep, then he had children with another woman that he'd forgotten to tell me about, then I showed up at someone elses wedding wearing my own wedding dress, and this morning he drove our car off a cliff with us in it. I've offered to sleep in the guest bedroom so he can get some rest, but he refused, because "I have to be there to wake you up when you're crying!" :unsmith: He really is amazing, which is what makes these dreams so drat frustrating - I never dream about losing the baby or anything like that, which would be understandable, just that he's being a massive shithead in some way, or that I'm embarrasing myself horribly somehow, and the dreams feel more real than any I've ever had.
No one told me pregnancy would entail nightly horrorfests BEFORE the baby was actually here.

That's funny, all of my vivid pregnancy dreams have been about my husband cheating on me too.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
So Alistair has been around for 6 weeks now and we decided (she finally gave in after asking the doctor) to try the sex thing again. Sadly though it hurt her too much and really just barely got the tip in after 15 or so minutes of trying.

Did anyone else hurt bad after waiting so long? For how long? Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do to get her back on the saddle so to speak?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SmokeyXIII posted:

So Alistair has been around for 6 weeks now and we decided (she finally gave in after asking the doctor) to try the sex thing again. Sadly though it hurt her too much and really just barely got the tip in after 15 or so minutes of trying.

Did anyone else hurt bad after waiting so long? For how long? Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do to get her back on the saddle so to speak?

Having a baby can really do a number on your sex drive. I've always had a higher sex drive than my husband but after we had Connor I found sex to be really disconcerting - it was like the on off switch had broken and my body did not respond at all in the way it used to do so. It's been the only period in my life that I've needed to use a lubricant during sex and even with that it still wasn't much fun.

Time was what fixed it for me (though even now 2 years later my sex drive is lower than it was).

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Well, hell of a week and a half or so.

I told husband rather emphatically that we didn't have to stay pregnant and he revealed that he's been picking out names. So I feel better on that count. We are still, however, absolutely nowhere on the argument about which country the peanut will be born in. I've ordered a book that purports to teach you the French concerned with pregnancy and childbirth, as well as teaching you exactly how the French do things.

I've also called to try to make a first OBGYN appointment (I have no idea if I'm late on this). It's the only doctor I know of who speaks some English- you're actually not allowed to post a doctor's details online/advertise or discriminate based on whether or not the doctor speaks another language. So you have to find someone who knows someone who knows someone. So my friend at the Council of Europe gave me the name of hers- who is on holiday this week and is so jam-packed that she may or may not be able to see me when she gets back.

Her secretary, of course, only speaks French. At least I can do 'appointment' stuff in French. But it's pretty awkward going through the 'when was your last period' and explaining you have no idea because you're so irregular. To which she responds 'So, you're not really sure you're pregnant then?'. And even after I explained I had several home tests come back positive she didn't sound convinced...

This is either going to be great or terrible.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

SmokeyXIII posted:

I think it took almost three months until I had a sex drive again (even trying a little self-stimulation didn't work), so yeah, it just takes time. Also, if she's breastfeeding you're going to have hormones working against you. One cry from the baby and it was like an OFF switch.

On the dreams part, I haven't had my husband cheat on me in my dreams, just do something so incredibly callous that I'm left practically incoherent with rage. I think my brain is working out a little frustration in my sleep.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

SmokeyXIII posted:

I didn't have a vaginal birth, so pain down there wasn't an issue, but between nursing all day long and lack of sleep, sex was the last thing on my mind when the magical 6 week time frame came and went. It was at least a few months before we tried, and closer to 6 or 8 months before I was really into again.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

Well, hell of a week and a half or so.

I told husband rather emphatically that we didn't have to stay pregnant and he revealed that he's been picking out names. So I feel better on that count. We are still, however, absolutely nowhere on the argument about which country the peanut will be born in. I've ordered a book that purports to teach you the French concerned with pregnancy and childbirth, as well as teaching you exactly how the French do things.

Glad to hear things are looking clearer :) I think at least knowing you both want to go ahead with the pregnancy will make all the other stuff feel more handleable (though still a pain in the arse of course).

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
My question wasn't so much about sex drive but more about the physical pain preventing it from happening. She was totally willing but her body put a stop to it.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

SmokeyXIII posted:

Sex was painful for a long time after my first even with lots of lube. Eventually it moved to being uncomfortable instead of painful and after several months I was finally back to normal. Just keep trying, with lube, when she is into it and go slow. Try different positions and let her take the lead on everything.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I wasn't able to do much until like 8 or 9 weeks out, and honestly it didn't feel very good until about 5 months post partum. I had a second degree tear that required a few stitches. I also had issues staying lubricated until my daughter stopped nursing on demand; those hormones are a bitch. If I had a letdown during foreplay I would lose all desire and sensation, it was really difficult to deal with. I would recommend a lot of patience, support, and water-based lubricant.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I had a c-section, and still had immense pain down there when we had sex. We definitely didn't try at 6 weeks. For me, it got better around 11 months, when my period came back. We kept truckin' and were creative. Now the more we do it, the better it gets, as usual :) Sleep deprivation and breastfeeding dry you up, too. I had no libido for quite a while.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Also just ask her how she wants to proceed and do that. Does she just want you to start out by being still and letting her do the work until she gives you the go ahead? Or does she want you to go slow and follow her cues? Something else? There really isn't a magic answer. It just takes time.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I think I need an internet hug or something. We believe my girlfriend to be pregnant. It's just been too long since her last period.

We've been together since last August, best friends for a year, and have known each other for two years.

I love her to death. I'm going to be a great father; my father left when I was an infant, and my mother never remarried. So when you grow up like that, you imagine and aspire to be a perfect father.

I could see us being a family, easily. But not now! We've only been together half a year. I wanted to be,married before we had children, but not to get married BECAUSE she's pregnant. We've.had friends do that, and its fake.

I don't know what to do. Obviously, "stay with her and be a great father" but I'm unemployed! I live in a place where I can choose McDonalds or Busboy, and I've done both those jobs, and they ain't hiring.

We used condoms, and did non-vaginal more often than not. I just need Someone to tell me its gonna okay :(

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Deep Winter posted:

I think I need an internet hug or something. We believe my girlfriend to be pregnant. It's just been too long since her last period.

We've been together since last August, best friends for a year, and have known each other for two years.

I love her to death. I'm going to be a great father; my father left when I was an infant, and my mother never remarried. So when you grow up like that, you imagine and aspire to be a perfect father.

I could see us being a family, easily. But not now! We've only been together half a year. I wanted to be,married before we had children, but not to get married BECAUSE she's pregnant. We've.had friends do that, and its fake.

I don't know what to do. Obviously, "stay with her and be a great father" but I'm unemployed! I live in a place where I can choose McDonalds or Busboy, and I've done both those jobs, and they ain't hiring.

We used condoms, and did non-vaginal more often than not. I just need Someone to tell me its gonna okay :(

Has she taken a test? There are reasons for late periods besides pregnancy.

Not all marriages that start with a pregnancy are fake or end in failure. We got married because of pregnancy and insurance but we were planning to get married the next year anyway. Now we have three kids and have been together for 12 years.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
She really should take a test before you get so anxious. A positive test is pretty definitive, especially if her period is late. If she gets a negative, she should still go to her gyn to rule out pregnancy and other issues. How late IS her period?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, definitely take a test before you freak out completely over this.

And sure, it's not ideal, but from the sound of how you've thought about it and how you describe your relationship you've got what it takes to make this work. Love and care is more important than money, and it sounds like you've got those things in abundance.

Now get your girlfriend to pee on a stick.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Valdara posted:

Also, sex talks? I'm just curious.

Basically, I had to give talks on the sex lives of various marine animals. It was kind of a fun night, actually.

pixie delights posted:

I'm finally about to be in my third trimester(28 weeks friday!), so it's starting to feel like crunch time. I was wondering if anyone here has had a home birth or know someone who has? I had my last in the hospital, and it was just a negative experience. After a lot of thought, we've decided to try for a home water birth this time(assuming my pregnancy continues to be low risk). No one I know has attempted one, so I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts.
Haven't done it myself, but make sure you do your research. If you're in the UK or Canada, the midwives are quite well educated (post-grad, etc.) and generally have proper training and hospital privileges. They generally have no problems risking you out if they feel it to be warranted.

If you're in the States, it's kind of a crapshoot. You have different types of midwives, and the only ones who have certifications that would be recognized in any other first world country are the CNMs. The other kinds (CPMs, etc) are essentially lay midwives. For example, in Oregon State, the standard for certification is something like watching a grand total of 20 births over 2 years (and this was considered too onerous a requirement, so they were trying to lobby to reduce the number - oregonmidwifeinfo.com has some information on that.) To put that in perspective, a medical student who is not specializing in obstetrics and just doing a 2 week rotation in a metropolitan hospital will see double that. Not to mention that in a lot of places, you don't even need a high school diploma to practice as a midwife.

You can check the requirements by state usually, but sometimes there just aren't any regulations. Period. No defined scope of practice, no board, no required reporting of outcomes, nothing. I know in Michigan that there is a woman lobbying for all of these things (safermidwiferyformichigan.blogspot.com)

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

You can check the requirements by state usually, but sometimes there just aren't any regulations. Period. No defined scope of practice, no board, no required reporting of outcomes, nothing. I know in Michigan that there is a woman lobbying for all of these things (safermidwiferyformichigan.blogspot.com)

Thanks for all the info! We interviewed a couple of the midwives in our area and settled on an experienced CPM who works along with a CNM. We're continuing with an OB as well, just to be on the safe side.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
Super cute!

Looks like every hospital have the same blankets, hats, bassinets!

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Lullabee posted:

So, the first week has been going amazingly. We had our first set of cluster feeds this morning, but we got through it. Collin's chunking out nicely, and it seems (at least to me) that he's eating/pooping well enough that his jaundice is slowly going away. :) First time on a computer since his birth, so pictures! First is right after they pulled him out and he was super pale. He's since tanned up quite nicely (he's already darker than me!).

Talk about your handsome looker. ;) He's so chubby and cute! Glad he's doing great!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Awww, Lullabee he's just beautiful :) What a cutie.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Lullabee posted:

So, the first week has been going amazingly. We had our first set of cluster feeds this morning, but we got through it. Collin's chunking out nicely, and it seems (at least to me) that he's eating/pooping well enough that his jaundice is slowly going away. :) First time on a computer since his birth, so pictures! First is right after they pulled him out and he was super pale. He's since tanned up quite nicely (he's already darker than me!).

Such a handsome little man! Great job :)

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

Schweig und tanze posted:

It's normal for baby to measure a few days ahead, things tend to even out toward the end. Even if you measure ahead they don't tend to change the due date after the first few weeks.

Got a call from the midwife yesterday about this suggesting we indeed change the due date because of the size discrepancy. The problem is that I tracked my periods, sex, BBT, and peed on the ovulation sticks, AND my husband traveled the week after I ovulated, so we know exactly when we conceived. I told her my youngest brother was nine pounds, five ounces, and she seemed to reconsider, but I got a lot of questions of how regular my periods were and such. It was a little stressful. So we've kept the same due date in the end, but all the midwives seem a bit concerned about it.

Could this make it more likely I'd have GD? That wouldn't be a huge deal for me (I'm a pretty healthy eater), but I'm feeling anxious about this - because everyone else seems to be. Could they just not be used to people who track to conceive and huge viking babies?

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Bubble Babble posted:

Got a call from the midwife yesterday about this suggesting we indeed change the due date because of the size discrepancy. The problem is that I tracked my periods, sex, BBT, and peed on the ovulation sticks, AND my husband traveled the week after I ovulated, so we know exactly when we conceived. I told her my youngest brother was nine pounds, five ounces, and she seemed to reconsider, but I got a lot of questions of how regular my periods were and such. It was a little stressful. So we've kept the same due date in the end, but all the midwives seem a bit concerned about it.

Could this make it more likely I'd have GD? That wouldn't be a huge deal for me (I'm a pretty healthy eater), but I'm feeling anxious about this - because everyone else seems to be. Could they just not be used to people who track to conceive and huge viking babies?

From like 16 weeks to about 34 I measure ahead, at one point it was 8 weeks ahead. Nothing happened, I didn't get GD and when she was born she surprised everyone by only being 7 pounds when they thought she would be 9-10. She always stuck her butt out though and put her feet in my spine or the back of my ribcage and that's what made me bigger. Also, if it's not baby sitting weird, other things can affect the measurement, plus sized ladies usually measure ahead because of extra padding etc. Take the GD fasting test if you and everyone else is worried about it and go from there.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

Welp.... Her period started in the middle of the night a few nights ago. Her last one was around Christmas! Sorry for freaking out :blush:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Edit: Sorry, again. My mistake. I honestly thought I was in the knocked-up thread this time. I do appreciate the advice to relax, which is helpful and I am trying to take. Whether it was a chemical pregnancy or no (some women don't get positive tests until weeks in, including some women in this thread, so I don't consider that the defining symptom), it is over a week of dealing with extremely painful cramps I never get and emotions I've never had before, which is doubly hard. I'll keep my lamenting and support-asking-for in the appropriate thread.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2013

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Valdara posted:

Told my MIL that she is not going to be a grandmother this time. She was super supportive and then told me that my husband and I need to practice a lot more! We have a very open and trusting relationship with his parents, but having her telling me to go have lots of sex with her son was a little weird. Especially since with a week-long crampfest of misery, sexy time is the last ever thing on my mind. "Sex helps cramps!" I don't care! On the plus side, I'm no longer bone exhausted all the time and don't have trouble getting out of bed, my boob sensitivity is back to normal, and I still have a couple hundred thousand eggs just a-waitin' to become babies.

In short, having a chemical pregnancy sucks balls. I almost wish I could just turn off "paying attention to my body". After months of charting, I know how it does and does not behave whether I'm taking my temp every day or not. I just ordered a new battery for my thermometer, since it ran out at the end of Jan, and we'll re-start the process.

How do you know it was a chemical and not just your period? A chemical pregnancy is when you get a positive test and then your period because the egg didn't attach to the uterine wall.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Valdara posted:

Told my MIL that she is not going to be a grandmother this time. She was super supportive and then told me that my husband and I need to practice a lot more! We have a very open and trusting relationship with his parents, but having her telling me to go have lots of sex with her son was a little weird. Especially since with a week-long crampfest of misery, sexy time is the last ever thing on my mind. "Sex helps cramps!" I don't care! On the plus side, I'm no longer bone exhausted all the time and don't have trouble getting out of bed, my boob sensitivity is back to normal, and I still have a couple hundred thousand eggs just a-waitin' to become babies.

In short, having a chemical pregnancy sucks balls. I almost wish I could just turn off "paying attention to my body". After months of charting, I know how it does and does not behave whether I'm taking my temp every day or not. I just ordered a new battery for my thermometer, since it ran out at the end of Jan, and we'll re-start the process.

To be considered a chemical pregnancy you need to have had a positive pregnancy test. Having not had that, what you had sounds more like you wishing you were pregnant. I have no doubts that it was very very real for you, but you were never ever pregnant. It is not normal to display every pregnancy symptom in the book before your period is even due. Wishful thinking and your mind exaggerating normal pre menstrual crap is more likely. To be honest you need to step back and bloody relax. It will happen when it happens. In fact you are more likely to become pregnant if you don't stress out about it. If I knew the big secret of getting pregnant I would tell you, as I managed to get pregnant on the pill and using condoms. We are playing it ultra safe now, the husband had a vasectomy :D

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The OP of the getting knocked up thread has some great information and resources you should look into. Stress in general can really gently caress up your menstrual cycle, which it sort of sounds like you're pretty stressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Sorry to hop in at the end of the thread, but what is the best gift you would recommend for a new first-time mother? A friend of mine gave birth yesterday and I'd like to send her a gift.

I was thinking of also gifting her a grubhub gift card (so she doesn't need to worry about cooking for a while) and I already got her the Goon-Approved Seahorse as a baby shower gift.

She lives out in the burbs and I live in the city (Chicago) and don't have a car, so I can't easily visit, so wanted to send a little something as "congrats for finally popping that thing out after 9 months - good luck with the next 18 years". :)