Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
A new Anciients track is streaming on Pitchfork. It happens to be one of my favorite tunes on their upcoming album, so dig it! Lengthy, proggy, plenty of twists and turns- good stuff. The 2xLP is available for preorder from Season of Mist as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Misogynist posted:

On more of a prog track, if any of you guys dig Existem, they just made their debut a free download on Bandcamp:

http://existem.bandcamp.com/

Hey, thanks for the shoutout. Kind of weird to make the announcement and see someone post about it here in the thread. We're working on new stuff and ought to have a new EP out this summer, if you care.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rightio, I was busy with my own band last year and it looks like I missed out on a lot of awesomeness.

What greatness came out last year that wasn't Epicloud\Apochryphon that I missed?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Did you get the new Pig Destroyer or Converge?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
New Dream Death track. Surprisingly not terrible.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

Did you get the new Pig Destroyer or Converge?

Not reeeeeeaaaallllllly into the really brutal stuff. Slaughter Of The Soul is about as heavy as it gets for me. Like a good bit of thrash.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Hey, thanks for the shoutout. Kind of weird to make the announcement and see someone post about it here in the thread. We're working on new stuff and ought to have a new EP out this summer, if you care.
poo poo, now I feel obligated to kick a few bucks your way instead of freeloading. :)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Rightio, I was busy with my own band last year and it looks like I missed out on a lot of awesomeness.

What greatness came out last year that wasn't Epicloud\Apochryphon that I missed?

Well I dunno if you missed them, but just to be on the safe side:

Grand Magus - The Hunt.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
My copy of Vexovoid arrived last night. Just finished listening to it for the third time. Gotta say, it's up there with Outre as Portal's finest work. Top 5 of 2013 contender. 2013 is starting off wonderfully.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
I just found the most kickass metal thread on /mlp/

Taught me a few things.

Protest The Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCdGNe3Bvs

Ne Obliviscaris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KM1_nV5Ayk

Dopethrone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI_TkKugolM

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Protest are pretty great but the further they move away from Kezia they move the less interested I get.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Dopethrone are badass. I had them on repeat for a good while here recently.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

54.4 crowns posted:

I just found the most kickass metal thread on /mlp/
what

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm sure it's something that most definitely isn't my little pony at all.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
While I wouldn't bother recommending any of those bands personally (:smuggo: ), I'm pretty sure you could have obtained them from reading the various metal threads on this forum without delving into the nether regions of the internet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Remember a few years back when youtube was awash in terrible metal AMVs?

PMVs.

Yes, that is a thing that exists.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

IRQ posted:

PMVs.

I am so glad I am out of touch sometimes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

54.4 crowns posted:

Taught me a few things.

I'm certainly learning a few things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

IRQ posted:

PMVs.

The Wu-Tang "Shame on a Nigga" one was pretty funny back before the Brony poo poo was a real-life thing

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New Imperium Dekadenz track, I really like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY8W2FyHRqc&hd=1

Album will be out March 15th

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 20, 2013

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

You heard me...

IRQ posted:

PMVs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuURDtiwic

:smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Please tell me more about the music emotionally stunted, almost pedophiles find enjoyable.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
This is a metal thread. What else would we talk about?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

John Magnum posted:

... Satan.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

sips wine

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John Magnum posted:

:iceburn:

In unrelated news, the first track from rear end Boner - Bloodlands is now up on their Bandcamp. I think it is pretty good.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Have you guys heard Luciferion - The Apostate? The first five tracks are really awesome death metal, extremely fast-paced and riffy but with cool synthesizers and a shitload of Dark City samples. Skip the rest of the album, it's really bad demo versions of their mediocre first album. (Check it out if you're really hard-up for early Morbid Angel clones.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5d3bSji41A

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Francostein posted:

Please tell me more about the music emotionally stunted, almost pedophiles find enjoyable.

I dunno, I thought they enjoy electronica and dance music more than anything else (like most furries do)? But honestly that's not here or there!

To bring things on topic, what's some good rock 'n rollish stuff that's a bit heavier than the norm? I know a fair amount of stoner metal fits into this, but I also dig stuff like Carcass's death and roll work, which beats out Entombed's work for me; newer Entombed doesn't sound that death metal to me, to be honest!

I also know of Debauchery of course, they rule when I'm in the mood for some corny poo poo.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Midnight - Satanic Royalty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQVnyDAY_wU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Seconding this. Also check out Black Breath and Skeletonwitch, two other bands in the sane vein.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I dunno why, but death n' roll and black n' roll are just rad.
e: Why, yes, I am fishing for suggestions.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

rxcowboy posted:

Seconding this. Also check out Black Breath and Skeletonwitch, two other bands in the sane vein.

Totally ahead of you on the second part. Saw them in concert, they put on a fuckin' fantastic show.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm about to commit metal blasphemy.

I loving cannot stand Slayer.

I like some faster\thrashier stuff (I loving love Exodus and a fair bit of Testament\Overkill), a fair bit of non-cheesy melodeath (eg: At The Gates), but I just gave Reign In Blood another listen.

What the gently caress am I missing here? Every song sounds pretty much exactly the same, which isn't a good thing if it was a poo poo song in the first place. There's a lot of awesome riffs peppered throughout the album, but there's an awful lot of not-exciting, no-impact and nigh-incomprehensible trem-picking. It really sounds like the 14 year old guitarist who just learnt how to trem pick and play a few Black Sabbath riffs.

What's really annoying for me is that they will do something pretty loving sweet like the intro to Piece by Piece or the galloping\rolling riff when Reign In Blood kicks in full that makes me go: "Oooooohhh!" but then they'll switch to some poo poo riff straight afterwards. The riffs they sit on are the riffs that I hate, but the riffs they brush over are the riffs I dig.

For a lot of stuff, even if I dont like it, I can generally see the appeal. I do not get Slayer at all.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I'll agree with you. I like Hell Awaits a fair amount, and I haven't listened to Show No Mercy much, but I don't really care about Reign in Blood. I think a lot of the attempted heaviness just sort of turned into mush.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a big slayer fan as well but I don't mind them really. Then again everyone has different tastes of metal and that's probably why there's so many loving subgenres.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I think it's mostly just what they are, what they represent, and what they helped do during their time. It definitely hasn't withstood the test of time. I listened to them alot during my younger years when I was getting into metal, but not so much anymore.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I don't know about that, even by 1985 and 1986 there were a lot of incredibly fast, heavy, proto-death-y thrash metal albums. And then you have poo poo like Master's Unreleased 1985 Album that would have been nearly a decade ahead of its time. Slayer were certainly pretty popular, but I don't know that they were an indispensable piece of extreme metal's evolution.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I have probably said this many times. I do not care for Slayer much at all but Show No Mercy is loving amazing. It is easily one of my favorite thrash albums, maybe even among my favorite metal albums overall.

It's been a long time since I last listened to Hell Awaits but I think it's OK.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh and the event that bought this on is because Lombardo pulled out of doing Australian shows. He hasn't been paid in 2012 apparently and doesn't like that 90% of Slayer's tour money goes towards expenses and only 10% goes to the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm about to commit metal blasphemy.

I loving cannot stand Slayer.

I don't think this is blasphemy at all, I think it's more of listening to Slayer in context.

What I mean by that is that if you look at Slayer in the early to mid 80's, while they weren't the heaviest/fastest/best out there, they were certainly one of the most well known heavy metal acts around. I think Slayer was a stepping stone for many people into lesser known acts, and their popularity certainly helped other acts get signed which opened more doors later down the line.

My problem with Slayer is that they should have just gone the gently caress away about 20 years ago. Pretty much everything they've released from the 90's on up has been generic at best, terrible at worst. This would be somewhat forgivable if they sounded great when they played their old poo poo live, but they simply don't. King's voice is gone. I know they make good money touring since they are part of the Big Four, after seeing them live a couple of times you can clearly hear how far downhill it's gone.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of any of the Big Four. I could cherry pick and make a best of CD of all of them, and be perfectly happy never listening to anything else but that best of. Especially for Megadeth.