Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm hoping to get Converge's Axe to Fall limited edition clear vinyl LP off ebay for $5 in the next 20 hours provided that no sonofabitch realises that it's there :swoon:

Prices always go apeshit at the end of the auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Prices always go apeshit at the end of the auction.

yeah I know but I'm really trying to keep a positive vibe here

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bliggers- posted:

Think of how many other great/rare records $150 can bring. No brainer to me.

VV very well played sir VV

The Read Menace posted:

Hah, that's wierd. Is there some difference between the US and UK version?

He's got this amazing Modest Mouse/Ugly Casanova collection that consists of every single vinyl pressing. This is the very last item he needs.

The UK version has an insert exclusive to that one. I don't know if there's any other differences.

Dude is drat generous. I love the fact that he'll send me an old US copy. That's just ridiculously kind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The UK version has an insert exclusive to that one. I don't know if there's any other differences.

I will never understand these loving people.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I will never understand these loving people.

God bless 'em.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cloks posted:

Went to an antique fair today and dug through record bins that must have actually been a collection - very few duplicates and plentiful Stones, Yes, The Police and a bunch of other popular bands all for five bucks each. It was weird not to find a single Streisand record but I managed to claim the following for myself:

Kraftwerk - Computer World
The Who - Who's Next
The Who - Tommy
The Kinks - One for the Road
R.E.M. - Reckoning
10cc - Deceptive Bends

Those are all great finds. Unfortunately, owning a copy of Reckoning means that you must now seek out and collect a vinyl copy of every other REM album made before 1990- and maybe even some of the EPs/singles/comps....not for any completist "collector scum" reason, but because those albums are all loving amazing.

Fortunately, that's not too hard: By unwritten rule, every "good" used record store near a college campus has to have at least one copy of Murmur or Lifes Rich Pageant in stock for ~$12 or less and one copy of Fables for roughly 2/3 of that at all times. Anything else is a toss-up.

And if you're a real glutton for punishment, you'll start doing something similar with Kraftwerk LPs too....although that's much more difficult.....

-But seriously, collection sales/drop-offs like that are the best. I've found my best used record store/flea market hauls by far by digging through the stuff that's only just been seen and hastily priced out- the stuff still in the boxes or bins that it initially arrived in that hasn't been shelved by the staff (and seen by anyone else) yet. It's the only way I've managed to get my Smiths/Violent Femmes/Sonic Youth/a fair portion of my rarer REM stuff. You just have to be there at the right time (I'm the biggest loser in the world).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Those are all great finds. Unfortunately, owning a copy of Reckoning means that you must now seek out and collect a vinyl copy of every other REM album made before 1990- and maybe even some of the EPs/singles/comps....not for any completist "collector scum" reason, but because those albums are all loving amazing.

Fortunately, that's not too hard: By unwritten rule, every "good" used record store near a college campus has to have at least one copy of Murmur or Lifes Rich Pageant in stock for ~$12 or less and one copy of Fables for roughly 2/3 of that at all times. Anything else is a toss-up.

And if you're a real glutton for punishment, you'll start doing something similar with Kraftwerk LPs too....although that's much more difficult.....

I've already got Life's Rich Pageant, Fables of the Reconstruction and Document. I'm looking for Green right now but I'll buy pretty much any album of theirs that I come across.

I only picked up the Kraftwerk LP because I had heard about them being harder to find but I listened to it and really enjoyed it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cloks posted:

I've already got Life's Rich Pageant, Fables of the Reconstruction and Document. I'm looking for Green right now but I'll buy pretty much any album of theirs that I come across.

I only picked up the Kraftwerk LP because I had heard about them being harder to find but I listened to it and really enjoyed it.

You should be looking for Murmur. It's going to be easier to find on vinyl than Green and it's a much better album. I mean, don't get me wrong, look for Green too- it just struck me as weird that you did't mention having or looking for Murmur at all. It's like collecting Pink Floyd stuff and not getting Dark Side or Wish You Were Here.

And Computer World kicks all kinds of rear end. "Pocket Calculator" is my go-to labwork jam and "Computer Love" got sampled and turned to poo poo by Coldplay a bunch of years ago.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, I'm definitely looking for Murmur as well but Green was the first R.E.M. album I listened to and it holds a special place in my heart.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely looking for Murmur as well but Green was the first R.E.M. album I listened to and it holds a special place in my heart.

Good luck. Green was the hardest for me to find. :)

Edit: And I'm not even going to touch their '90s catalogue. That's a very expensive bag of hurt right there.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Have any of you guys ever heard from Soul Temple about the Man With The Iron Fists soundtrack?

Three loving months, no response, well beyond the PayPal Claim period, $100 of mine gone forever.

Motherfuckers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Me in Reverse posted:

Have any of you guys ever heard from Soul Temple about the Man With The Iron Fists soundtrack?

Three loving months, no response, well beyond the PayPal Claim period, $100 of mine gone forever.

Motherfuckers.

Can you get the police involved in some way? Isn't this wire fraud at this point?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"Computer Love" got sampled and turned to poo poo by Coldplay a bunch of years ago.

The story of how this happened is basically Kraftwerk in a nutshell: Chris Martin contacted the band, had no response whatsoever, and weeks later he received a handwritten note from Ralf Huetter which just said: "Yes."

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Me in Reverse posted:

Motherfuckers.

I received my set as scheduled but my buddy ordered the regular LP and still doesn't have it yet. That said, we both got an email with apologies again just last week saying the plant they were using got hit by Sandy and then went out of business, not able to fill out the rest of the order. Anyway, apparently they should have the rest by next week and will send them out then. There was some bullshit about lack of communication in there too.

You should probably just hope you got slipped off the mailing list or something. I'm still on there for no reason.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Parachute Underwear posted:

I received my set as scheduled but my buddy ordered the regular LP and still doesn't have it yet. That said, we both got an email with apologies again just last week saying the plant they were using got hit by Sandy and then went out of business, not able to fill out the rest of the order. Anyway, apparently they should have the rest by next week and will send them out then. There was some bullshit about lack of communication in there too.

You should probably just hope you got slipped off the mailing list or something. I'm still on there for no reason.

That sucks to hear, but god drat it would be nice if they replied to one of my dozen emails.

Did they contact you from soultemplemusic@gmail.com ?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm so shameful. I'm getting the fancy foil version of AMOK delivered to me on launch day. Also, I now have Amazon Prime for the next 30 days. It's like all I do is throw handfuls of my money at Thom Yorke.

"...just....just take it all and make sure the embossing is pretty!"

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Me in Reverse posted:

That sucks to hear, but god drat it would be nice if they replied to one of my dozen emails.

Did they contact you from soultemplemusic@gmail.com ?

That's the email, yeah.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

lmao, Jack White is now the official Record Store Day Ambassador.

http://www.recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/3405

gently caress Record Store Day.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
and so the cycle of this thread continues. Check Out My (Colored) Records -> What's A Good Turntable? -> Who Is Buying _____ from _____? -> Is _____ A Good Online Retailer? -> gently caress RECORD STORE DAY -> Repeat

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Is there a goon consensus on the best easy cheap method for cleaning records? I'm just talking about getting rid of a little dust, not anything crazy.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

alg posted:

How is anything he said in that article a bad thing?
For that matter, why 'gently caress record store day'?

(Neither question is rhetorical, I'm old enough that record stores aren't 'ironic' to me, they're a fond memory and hold a lot of nostalgia, so I'm asking sincerely.)

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
It's really hard to find any studio LPs by The Beach Boys, especially from Smiley Smile to 20/20 which are the ones I most desire but always end up fairly expensively-priced on eBay anyway. (Particularly mono pressings of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey, two of my favourite albums by the group.) :(

Also this:

(source)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

alg posted:

iostream.h posted:

How is anything he said in that article a bad thing?
For that matter, why 'gently caress record store day'?

"...Then I got realistic and thought to myself, "Can you blame them?" How can record shops (or any shop for that matter) compete with Netflix, TiVo, video games that take months to complete, cable, texting, the Internet, etc. etc?"...

Yeah Jack White, it's a shame record stores can't compete against ...non-music related things like Netflix and videogames? That article hits on a good point about how great it is to interact and appreciate a good book, album, movie, etc., but really - you can do that with any media and it doesn't have to be a record or other analog format. Tired of not interacting with your peers and discussing music? Then reach out to them and make an effort to strike up a conversation Buy records.

As for hating on RSD, I feel like some of it comes from:

- Participating stores can't pick what to sell from the releases. They have to buy a kit, and don't know how many of each release will be in it until they get it. They sometimes end up with a high volume of stuff that won't sell.
- Why only one day a year? Why not promote people to get out to the stores more often? Why only make small releases of things people really want, when the whole point is to reach out and get more people interested in records? All this does is excite people ALREADY collecting vinyl.
- Some stores may use this day as an opportunity to increase prices on some records as they will have mew customers that are not already aware of how much a record should cost.

This is at least my take on it all. I've been conflicted about RSD for awhile now. I always get excited about it even though I have a few problems with the workings of it... but hey, The Everglow by Mae wouldn't have been pressed on vinyl if not for RSD. :v:

Fake James fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I really should just have a file with my response to "Why 'gently caress Record Store Day?'", because I feel like I keep posting this same rant every year. Long story short, the whole thing is a shameless cash grab. The records sold for the occasion are price gouged to gently caress and back. They're often sub par quality. Often what happens is that the local businesses who participate in this event end up with a bunch of over priced unsellable inventory. Most of the people who buy the poo poo are only buying it to sell on ebay for inflated prices and are not people who actually listen to or care about vinyl records. If you really care about this medium, then it shouldn't be once a year. For a number of years in that period when vinyl was neither the main music format or considered "cool" the big labels didn't give a gently caress about the small locally owned shops. Basically if you want to know why RSD sucks, go to small locally owned music shop and ask the guy who owns the place what he thinks about it. I've yet to hear any record store owner or employee speak favorably about RSD.

Dr. Lenin posted:

"...Then I got realistic and thought to myself, "Can you blame them?" How can record shops (or any shop for that matter) compete with Netflix, TiVo, video games that take months to complete, cable, texting, the Internet, etc. etc?"...

Yeah Jack White, it's a shame record stores can't compete against ...non-music related things like Netflix and videogames? That article hits on a good point about how great it is to interact and appreciate a good book, album, movie, etc., but really - you can do that with any media and it doesn't have to be a record or other analog format. Tired of not interacting with your peers and discussing music? Then reach out to them and make an effort to strike up a conversation Buy records.

- Participating stores can't pick what to sell from the releases. They have to buy a kit, and don't know how many of each release will be in it until they get it. They sometimes end up with a high volume of stuff that won't sell.
- Why only one day a year? Why not promote people to get out to the stores more often? Why only make small releases of things people really want, when the whole point is to reach out and get more people interested in records? All this does is excite people ALREADY collecting vinyl.
- Some stores may use this day as an opportunity to increase prices on some records as they will have mew customers that are not already aware of how much a record should cost.

This is at least my take on it all. I've been conflicted about RSD for awhile now. I always get excited about it even though I have a few problems with the workings of it... but hey, The Everglow by Mae wouldn't have been pressed on vinyl if not for RSD. :v:

I can see what he's saying here. Basically we live in an age of information overload where most people have constant access to all different sorts of entertainment media. So when people are overloaded with all that it just doesn't occur to them to go to a small shop buy and record and sit down and listen to it when you can just have everything right loving now.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

For anyone who digs on Sorne, you should check out his Kickstarter for the new album 'Ego Alter'. He plans to release this one on some nicely packaged book/vinyl thing.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sorne/sorne-ego-altar-the-new-album

He released a new video today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_juJU4Jto

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ahh ok, I didn't realize there was a specific package involved, it struck me as something akin to 'free comic book day' (although without the free of course) that was just to have a special day to raise awareness for the local shops.

As far as the comparison to Netflix et al, I took that in the same vein as the above poster as a comparison of different leisure activities, not a competition between the mediums themselves. I think he makes some good points overall.

I'm actually about to go into a local shop and I intend on asking the owner their thoughts as I did notice that they're a participating location.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

I can see what he's saying here. Basically we live in an age of information overload where most people have constant access to all different sorts of entertainment media. So when people are overloaded with all that it just doesn't occur to them to go to a small shop buy and record and sit down and listen to it when you can just have everything right loving now.

It makes more sense from that viewpoint. I really interpreted it the wrong way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Leaving to go to the record store since I'm apparently in a Manic mood and want to buy anything and everything.

Wish me luck!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Leaving to go to the record store since I'm apparently in a Manic mood and want to buy anything and everything.

Wish me luck!

Are you being serious? If so- put a lock on it, man. Pull it together. Sweet vinyl or not, I'm bipolar and know that a "manic purchasing frenzy" can open up a real bag of hurt if you're not careful.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm so shameful. I'm getting the fancy foil version of AMOK delivered to me on launch day. Also, I now have Amazon Prime for the next 30 days. It's like all I do is throw handfuls of my money at Thom Yorke.

"...just....just take it all and make sure the embossing is pretty!"

Where did you order that and how much? All the amok site has are cds.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Dr. Lenin posted:

The lady running the store I went in today said that the first part wasn't true, that there is a selection to choose from that are specific to the day (kind of a 'limited edition') but that she orders as many (or as few) as she wants.

She said that she LOVES RSD, that she always sells out and has to order more of the special releases (when available) and that everyone in the business that she knows (in Central Alabama btw) loves it as well. She did express displeasure with the limited variants, especially at the scalpers who snatch them up in concerted buying efforts to throw on eBay.

She also claimed that out of the new customers that come in on RSD there's usually about 20% who she'll begin seeing as regulars throughout the rest of the year.

We talked for a while, she agrees about getting more people out in the stores and brought up some of the same points Jack White did regarding instant-on entertainment and how (for example) comparatively difficult it is to set up a decent vinyl listening station compared to plugging an X-Box into a TV.

Please don't take this is an attack or argument against you, today is the first time I've heard of either RSD or retailers having issues with it and this is strictly anecdotal remarks from one of only two retailers in this area (both of whom are owned by the same people).

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Bliggers- posted:

Where did you order that and how much? All the amok site has are cds.

It's $38.47 right now on Amazon.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

iostream.h posted:

Ahh ok, I didn't realize there was a specific package involved, it struck me as something akin to 'free comic book day' (although without the free of course) that was just to have a special day to raise awareness for the local shops.

Some stores make something different of RSD; my favorite 'local' place (only an hour's drive or so) uses it as an excuse to clear out some stock they haven't been able to move, by putting out boxes of LPs, CDs, 12"s, promo posters, and sleeveless 45s in front of the store, free to anybody walking by.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you being serious? If so- put a lock on it, man. Pull it together. Sweet vinyl or not, I'm bipolar and know that a "manic purchasing frenzy" can open up a real bag of hurt if you're not careful.

Honestly, I don't know what else to call it. Sometimes I feel like buying something just because. Usually it ends up being food.

I do have Lyme disease and sometimes have depression episodes, so good advice :hug:

To be more on topic: I ended up buyin the black pressing of Axe to Fall and two penny books about self-esteem off of eBay and avoided the record store based on your advice :v:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

iostream.h posted:

The lady running the store I went in today said that the first part wasn't true, that there is a selection to choose from that are specific to the day (kind of a 'limited edition') but that she orders as many (or as few) as she wants.

Please don't take this is an attack or argument against you, today is the first time I've heard of either RSD or retailers having issues with it and this is strictly anecdotal remarks from one of only two retailers in this area (both of whom are owned by the same people).

I was only going off of what I was told - Last year I called Reggie's and Reckless (Chicago locations) to try to find out who would have what - both told me they received a box of stuff and wouldn't know what was in it until they opened it the day of. Either it varied depending on how big the stores are, or the staff was just lazy and didn't want to check. Don't worry, I don't consider it an attack against what I stated, all my evidence is anecdotal too and just saying what I've heard said. I haven't really looked too deeply into it all.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Dr. Lenin posted:

I was only going off of what I was told - Last year I called Reggie's and Reckless (Chicago locations) to try to find out who would have what - both told me they received a box of stuff and wouldn't know what was in it until they opened it the day of. Either it varied depending on how big the stores are, or the staff was just lazy and didn't want to check. Don't worry, I don't consider it an attack against what I stated, all my evidence is anecdotal too and just saying what I've heard said. I haven't really looked too deeply into it all.

From my understanding (I shopped at Reckless that last 3 RSDs) from what I have heard from people at Reckless and Saki it's basically you order what you want and you may or may not get it. I think they tend not to go through their boxes too far a head of opening so when people say "Do you have X?" they can say "We don't know." Because if they did then some customers would be like "Hey hold X" or "Hey I called last week and you said you'd have X and now you don't" (for whatever reason) and then they have to deal with pissing people off. Better to just say "We won't know until right before we open, guess you'll just have to line up or risk it and come later."

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
RZA's Soul Temple is also issuing out a 3LP set titled Shaolin Soul Selection Volume 1. For $20 I might pick it up.

http://soultemplemusic.bandcamp.com/track/rza-x-stax-sampler-mixed-by-dj-7l

The sampler of songs sounds pretty good, but I was wondering how the quality / pressing of The Man With The Iron Fists was?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
RZA better be cutting monthly checks to Charmels for as many times as that cut's been ridden.

e: haha, i actually just re-listened to the soul temple clip and it's the drat The Emotions version.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 20, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm hoping to get Converge's Axe to Fall limited edition clear vinyl LP off ebay for $5 in the next 20 hours provided that no sonofabitch realises that it's there :swoon:

drat, $5 would be an awesome grab. If for some reason the auction skyrockets, it's still available here for $14 http://kingsroadmerch.com/converge/view/?id=1519&cid=71

Topshelf fans, they just put the new Caravels LP up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Peacebone posted:

RZA's Soul Temple is also issuing out a 3LP set titled Shaolin Soul Selection Volume 1. For $20 I might pick it up.

http://soultemplemusic.bandcamp.com/track/rza-x-stax-sampler-mixed-by-dj-7l

The sampler of songs sounds pretty good, but I was wondering how the quality / pressing of The Man With The Iron Fists was?

I sure hope everyone who orders this has a great experience, gets it on time, and gets constant email contact from Soul Temple, who I trust to not be lovely at all :allears: