Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My wife and I went back to our native New England for Thanksgiving this year and treated ourselves to a raw bar blowout. A dozen oysters for each of us, plus ceviche, clams, crab, lobster, etc. Best $200 I've spent in the past year. On top of that, while she was out wedding dress shopping with her sister, I plowed my way through a pile of sushi at our favorite place. gently caress Leviticus :colbert:. Since moving to the midwest, I don't eat fish I didn't catch, unless it's breaded and fried. Damned flatlanders don't know what they're doing with seafood/shellfish.

e: Oyster snipe

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

gently caress yeah, New England. We know our fuckin' seafood.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

gently caress yeah, New England. We know our fuckin' seafood.

Bettah than any othah, brothah.

As an aside, great piece in Savuer about Fall River, Mass. this month. Well worth a read. My old lady (a Portuguese Masshole) is sure to enjoy it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

shallots and thyme sounds like a good shellfish marinade - was it like ceviche done mignonette style? or cooked and then doused with a shallot/thyme oil? or what. gotta take notes

Raw scallops sliced thin, not mignonette really since the acid came from fresh tomatoes. Just minced shallots, thyme, finely ground black pepper and olive oil.

I wish lobsters could be all coral. Except the claws.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I suspect that pickled pork may be among the most delicious substances on this God's earth.

I love red beans and rice.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kenning posted:

I suspect that pickled pork may be among the most delicious substances on this God's earth.

I love red beans and rice.

I've seen a few times at one of the more ethnic stores here and I keep on saying I'll buy the next time I make. I really need to go this, damnit. I've heard nothing but awesome things. I love making red beans and rice and chili because I'm almost always experimenting with them.

I don't know if anyone else posted, but someone scooped up Guy Fieri's domain and posted a mock menu

http://www.businessinsider.com/guy-fieri-parody-menu-2013-2

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 20, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

These people defended Guy Fieri's restaurant. I don't even. Their review even points out just how bad the food is for the price!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Definitely want to run this game:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't know if anyone else posted, but someone scooped up Guy Fieri's domain and posted a mock menu

The GF and I loving hate him; around our house he is simply known as "rear end in a top hat".

But we LOVE his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives; he really finds some amazing local food. I love to watch people put so much TLC into scratch cooking, specially when it's based on old family recipes. We've also been inspired to make our own versions of some of the food we see.

Guy's incessant mugging is loving annoying, and he is totally disrespectful to the cooks he interviews. God forbid the owner be a cute chick, and then his maturity level drops from 15 years-old to about 12. I'd like a "Garfield without Garfield" edit of the show where they just bleep out all of his dialog.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF and I loving hate him; around our house he is simply known as "rear end in a top hat".

But we LOVE his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives; he really finds some amazing local food. I love to watch people put so much TLC into scratch cooking, specially when it's based on old family recipes. We've also been inspired to make our own versions of some of the food we see.

Guy's incessant mugging is loving annoying, and he is totally disrespectful to the cooks he interviews. God forbid the owner be a cute chick, and then his maturity level drops from 15 years-old to about 12. I'd like a "Garfield without Garfield" edit of the show where they just bleep out all of his dialog.

This man speaks the truth. I want to see an episode where maybe you hear him confirm what some of the ingredients are, you see the stuff being made, and you see the paying customers enjoy the food. Edit him and his dumb rear end out of the show. Or failing that, can I see him get shoved accidentally trip into a meat slicer, or buffalo grinder.

And it very often seems like the cooks on the show can't stand him being there. Just some of the glares he gets, just daggers, staring at him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show and I hope to god that his getting these places in the limelight is helping these companies. But is it possible to keep the format and drop the douche?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would 100% play Cooking D&D.

Also they should replace Guy Fieri with that stoned dude who does the eating competition show.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fun DD&D drinking game - after Guy puts his hand up for a fist bump, take one drink for every second it takes for the white guy he's invariably interviewing to realize what's going on and respond with his own fist.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Samsung ad from the 80's

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So I'm looking at these protein bars, like the Clif bars, etc. And decided to read the ingredients. It's basically sugar, really saturated fat (PALM OIL no less), and more sugar, heaped upon sugar. What the gently caress is even the point? If you're going to eat candy, why not loving just eat candy? And the protein in it is soy protein isolate, which is gross.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

dino. posted:

So I'm looking at these protein bars, like the Clif bars, etc. And decided to read the ingredients. It's basically sugar, really saturated fat (PALM OIL no less), and more sugar, heaped upon sugar. What the gently caress is even the point? If you're going to eat candy, why not loving just eat candy? And the protein in it is soy protein isolate, which is gross.

My cousin and her fiancé are both triathletes, and I know they use them for training. I can't fathom why anyone not spending that much time on physical fitness would find them useful, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Basically if you'd like to have a candy bar they're a slightly better choice than a Snickers or whatever. Also I've found them useful when I'm at work and can't stop to eat but can scarf a Clif Builder. Essentially they are a sweet treat that doesn't make you feel like total poo poo after eating them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I don't know. Looking at the ingredients, I feel like most of the "healthy" crap is there for green-washing reasons (is there a nutrient equivalent of green-washing? if so that's what I mean).

Soy Protein Isolate, Beet Juice Concentrate, Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Kernel Oil, Organic Rolled Oats, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa, Organic Soy Protein Concentrate, Vegetable Glycerin, Natural Flavors, Organic Dry Roasted Almonds, Rice Starch, Cocoa Butter, Inulin (Chicory Extract), Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Fiber, Organic Sunflower Oil, Soy Lecithin, Salt.

So basically, lab soy protein. Then sugar (beet juice). Beet juice concentrate is like 50 grams of sugar per 100 grams. Then more sugar. Then more sugar. Then palm loving oil. First four ingredients already sound horrible. Oats to bulk it out. Good. Chocolate, good. Cocoa, good. Lovely so far. Then back to weird lab protein. Then glycerin? WTF are you trying to make soap? Natural flavours, whatever. :eyeroll: Almonds, good. Rice starch is sugar, and you may as well treat it as such. Cocoa butter is more fat. Pretty much at this point in the ingredients list, everything else is just sprinklings.

This is disgusting. I'm kind of like, at this point, I'd sooner mainline pure lard, while chugging a soda. It seems like they're using all those buzz words, like organic and .... organic. Listen. Organic sugar is still loving sugar. Palm Kernel Oil has 82 grams of saturated fat per 100 grams. That's really really disgusting. PURE LARD IS 39 g sat fat per 100 grams. I think the reason that they can get away with the not completely horrifying nutritional information is that the serving size is just shy of 70 grams. If 8 of the 68 grams of Clif bar is fat, you're talking 11% of the mass of the thing being fat. 20 grams of the 68 is sugar. That's nearly 30% of the mass being sugar. That makes me ill just to think of it.

I mean seriously, just eat the actual candy, get the satisfaction of good quality chocolate, and get on with your day, instead of trying to fool yourself that a package of salt, sugar, and sawdust is going to be a "better option". I know this dude who eats one for breakfast every day, because it's possible to count the calories from it.

Yes, he's fat.

dino. fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 21, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

quote:

I know this dude who eats one for breakfast every day, because it's possible to count the calories from it.

This has always bothered me. If one owns a kitchen scale (which one should), they can count the calories in anything! Four calories per gram of carbohydrate, four per gram of protein, and eight per gram of fats. Or go online to one of the literally thousands of calorie-counting websites and plug numbers into a calculator. It's really not difficult.

e: oh man did I ever space out on that one, incorrect chemistry fixed. Thanks, bart!

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 21, 2013

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
You get bonus arsenic from the rice syrup, too.

The glycerol is there to keep it moist.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
As a triathlete on hiatus, protein bars and their like are necessary for endurance sport training. Basically you use them during long runs and bikes where you are burning every carb at a ridiculously high rate. As you do longer and longer triathlons, you have to replace your carbs and electrolytes every 45 minutes or so. An Olympic triathlon requires one to swim about 1 mile, bike 25 miles and run a 10k. The mile swim is definitely going to take a lot of carbs to perform and the problem with the swim is that it is impossible to recoup carbs while swimming unlike biking or running. So, immediately after the transition and on the bike, one has to re-carb up to get even the base energy needed for a 25 mile bike ride after a 1 mile swim. I've recalled during training sessions where I feel like I haven't eaten for a couple of days during the run even though I consumed 3 cliff bars and a gu.

In short, energy/protein bars have a legitimate realized need for endurance athletes but aren't probably meant for general consumption. A triathlete/cyclist/long distance runnner has the choice between gu - basically a carb paste or cliff bars/honey stingers/over-carbed gummies/something you can chew during the race. IIRC, Jelly Belly makes some of their products for endurance sessions since they are, basically, candy but usually the carbs in candy aren't enough for an endurance athlete. Also keep in mind, the distances become longer and longer, the more involved one becomes in a sport - triathlons are usually doubled in distance: Oly is 1 mi swim, 24 mi bike, 10k run; Half Iron is 1.2 mi swim, 50 mi bike, half marathon; Iron is 2.4 mi swim, 110 mi bike, marathon. So every doubling of a distance necessitates one getting better at choosing and consuming various overloaded carb products.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 21, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vagueabond posted:

This has always bothered me. If one owns a kitchen scale (which one should), they can count the calories in anything! Four calories per gram of carbohydrate, four per gram of protein, and eight per gram of fats or sugars. Or go online to one of the literally thousands of calorie-counting websites and plug numbers into a calculator. It's really not difficult.

Um, sugars are carbohydrates.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The old taffy like power bars rule because they can survive months kicking around in a backpack or toolbag.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bartolimu posted:

Um, sugars are carbohydrates.

Right, that'll teach me to go to bed instead of posting. Failing at elementary chemistry...sheesh.

---

bartolimu posted:

Hey, at least you know the difference most of the time. My friend's boss was "doing Atkins for a while" and came into work every day with a huge frapuccino with whipped cream and extra sugar. He had no idea what carbohydrates were, but that Atkins diet was going to be super easy! :downs:

I mean, glucose is C6H12O6, and I know that. I guess I just went to a weird headspace and conflated stored energy per gram and the food pyramid. Bizarre.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 21, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vagueabond posted:

Right, that'll teach me to go to bed instead of posting. Failing at elementary chemistry...sheesh.

Hey, at least you know the difference most of the time. My friend's boss was "doing Atkins for a while" and came into work every day with a huge frapuccino with whipped cream and extra sugar. He had no idea what carbohydrates were, but that Atkins diet was going to be super easy! :downs:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
The Times ran a great article on the evolution of food science and the development of highly addictive junk foods. Think of the Cliff bar as a better branded version of all this and I think it makes sense. Great read, either way.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I've been smugly using "Organic Agave Nectar" to sweeten stuff, like coffee and sauces, for months now. I somehow just allowed myself to believe there was some way that cacti were magically creating jugs and jugs of delicious syrup. It's just another form of fructose I guess.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Very Strange Things posted:

I've been smugly using "Organic Agave Nectar" to sweeten stuff, like coffee and sauces, for months now. I somehow just allowed myself to believe there was some way that cacti were magically creating jugs and jugs of delicious syrup. It's just another form of fructose I guess.
It's all sugar, either way. And the body treats it as such. It baffles me when people genuinely believe in their heart of hearts that brown sugar is somehow healthier than any other sugar. OK, so it'll have a trace more iron in, because of the molasses, but it's still sugar.

Or those ones who think that sea salt, or himalayan rock salt, or whatever other fancy salt is a healthier salt. Or that because olive oil is a "healthy fat", they shouldn't worry about dousing stuff in it. If you've got a lard butt, it's not going to make a difference how healthy the fat is; it's still destined south, damnit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

It is, but one agave plant does (or at least can) produce jugs and jugs of delicious syrup. If you let the plant put up its seed stalk, then excise the stalk while leaving the plant alive, it will slowly bleed sap into the middle of the plant, where it collects and can be harvested. The supply constantly refreshes, and enough plants can support a family's drinking water needs (assuming they don't mind the occasional insect floating in your sugar water).

So yes, tons of sweetener can come from one plant. It's inefficient, though. Modern agave syrup production harvests the plant, cooks it, then squeezes out all of the sap to boil down.

dino. posted:

It's all sugar, either way. And the body treats it as such. It baffles me when people genuinely believe in their heart of hearts that brown sugar is somehow healthier than any other sugar. OK, so it'll have a trace more iron in, because of the molasses, but it's still sugar.

Or those ones who think that sea salt, or himalayan rock salt, or whatever other fancy salt is a healthier salt. Or that because olive oil is a "healthy fat", they shouldn't worry about dousing stuff in it. If you've got a lard butt, it's not going to make a difference how healthy the fat is; it's still destined south, damnit.
A lot of people refuse to believe we're bound by the laws of thermodynamics. Magical cleansing diets will save us, don't worry about long-term good nutrition or calorie balance or anything like that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

A lot of people refuse to believe we're bound by the laws of thermodynamics. Magical cleansing diets will save us, don't worry about long-term good nutrition or calorie balance or anything like that.

But my colon cleansing regimen makes me feel so much better! It really detoxifies me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

But my colon cleansing regimen makes me feel so much better! It really detoxifies me.

One of the worst fine dining experiences of my life had nothing to do with the restaurant (dear, departed Rosemary's) and everything to do with the company: a chiropractor's assistant who Had Wheat Allergies and was concerned about Gluten Being the Antichrist. She nattered on for some time about how terrible wheat was and how we didn't evolve eating grains and shouldn't because They Create Toxins and that's why we feel horrible blah blah blah. We couldn't get the tasting menu because she didn't want any roux-thickened sauces or other stealthy wheat sources, and it would be dreadfully impolite for us to have five courses while she only had two, wouldn't it?

After that long diatribe she started espousing the many benefits of pet chiropracty, which apparently can cure everything from hip dysplasia to distemper. My friend the veterinary tech was dining with us. I learned a lot about sarcasm and acerbic wit during that meal, so maybe it wasn't wasted after all.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

One of the worst fine dining experiences of my life had nothing to do with the restaurant (dear, departed Rosemary's) and everything to do with the company: a chiropractor's assistant who Had Wheat Allergies and was concerned about Gluten Being the Antichrist. She nattered on for some time about how terrible wheat was and how we didn't evolve eating grains and shouldn't because They Create Toxins and that's why we feel horrible blah blah blah. We couldn't get the tasting menu because she didn't want any roux-thickened sauces or other stealthy wheat sources, and it would be dreadfully impolite for us to have five courses while she only had two, wouldn't it?

After that long diatribe she started espousing the many benefits of pet chiropracty, which apparently can cure everything from hip dysplasia to distemper. My friend the veterinary tech was dining with us. I learned a lot about sarcasm and acerbic wit during that meal, so maybe it wasn't wasted after all.

I'm sure she had fascinating facts and opinions about vaccinations.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

Oh god. I got sucked into one of these discussions (again!) the other day. My calm, rational, vegetarian, drama-teaching, afro-drumming and extremely polite friend blew a gasket in a small thermonuclear explosion when someone told him that his severely autistic son would've been perfectly fine if instead of the MMR vaccine they'd just given him homeopathic profylaxis, all spurred on by a well-meaning new-age hippie friend of ours posting a picture from this man's facebook wall and taking it seriously.

His mindblowing bullshit vaccine statement - found here - uses the wonderful power of statistics known as "numbers I've just pulled out of my own rear end" and he even admits it. It's so far past stupid that I actually get angry about it.

Idiot posted:

VACCINATED MALE CHANCES OF DEVELOPING CANCER 1 IN 2
VACCINATED FEMALE CHANCES OF DEVELOPING CANCER 1 IN 3 (...)
THE CHANCES OF DEVELOPING CANCER IN YOUR LIFETIME IF YOU HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A VACCINATION: 1 in TWENTY ONE MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (...)
The 1 in 3 and 1 in 2 are well publicized and know stats from the ACS.. and the only conclusion stat on there from me, and it's based on studying this issue (meds mostly) for over 30 years and that is 1 in 21 million chance if someone was not vaccinated.. which is a very conservative estimate.. it might be more like 1 in 200 million (...)

Oh, content. I made panzanella. It was good. Tomatoes should've been more ripe though. I long for summer.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I find great satisfaction in the fact that evolution is on our side.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

therattle posted:

I had a first date with a girl a while back and the topic of vaccinations came up. Long story short apparently because she never had most of her vaccinations the fact that she's never died means it's all a scam to make money and purposely give children autism disorders. I started to try to counterpoint but then I just asked for the cheque.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I never got smallpox or polio even though I never got vaccinated, that's proof that vaccinations are a scam

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Steve Yun posted:

I never got smallpox or polio even though I never got vaccinated, that's proof that vaccinations are a scam

Essentially her argument yeah, oh and also: "I won't vaccinate my kids for ANYTHING"

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
The one in twenty million assumption actually works if you also assume all unvaccinated kids die from measles instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://guysamericankitchenandbar.com/

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Just so this thread doesn't become gassed and we're giving credit where it's due - http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/02/guy-fieri-fake-menu-stolen/62338/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eat This Glob posted:

My wife and I went back to our native New England for Thanksgiving this year and treated ourselves to a raw bar blowout. A dozen oysters for each of us, plus ceviche, clams, crab, lobster, etc. Best $200 I've spent in the past year. On top of that, while she was out wedding dress shopping with her sister, I plowed my way through a pile of sushi at our favorite place. gently caress Leviticus :colbert:. Since moving to the midwest, I don't eat fish I didn't catch, unless it's breaded and fried. Damned flatlanders don't know what they're doing with seafood/shellfish.

e: Oyster snipe

I just realised that Eat This Glob was waxing lyrical about oysters.