Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
I am really hoping we get out of the khert and back to Duane or Jivi or someone shortly. This is getting too creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Tollymain posted:

Well, it was useless on his prison but he's definitely bleeding. He just doesn't seem to care :stare:

Well, he is dead.

It would be interesting if the amulet that controls Dwight turns out to work on him as well. It could be an all-purpose intelligent-zombie control amulet. (I really just want this jerkoff not to go on a rapefest).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sette is largely the main protagonist so she's got impenetrable plot armor and can't really get anything more than minor booboos.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's kinda creepy and it's starting to put me off the comic.

Same. Especially after reading these DeviantArt cartoon and archived Formspring pages that have been linked to before. Which make the whole scene a lot more disturbing (Murkoph being the author's pet and the whole Unsounded setting being apparently built around him (:wtc:), Ashley Cope admitting to have a "licking fetish" (:wtc:x2 combo) and how look what happens here, and more...

I'll still give her the benefit of the doubt for a while, but if it turns into "Sexy Undead Rapethlon 2013" I'm out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm doubting it'll be that bad. I hope so anyway. This seems to fit with the whole thing where she pounds you over the head with a club to get basic characterization/plot/lore across if you're not reading any of the sperg-poo poo past the comic itself.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Ashley Cope admitting to have a "licking fetish" (:wtc:x2 combo)
:stonk:
Really, really didn't want to know that.

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll still give her the benefit of the doubt for a while, but if it turns into "Sexy Undead Rapethlon 2013" I'm out.

Considering how far ahead she draws the comic, the tone probably isn't going to change. This scene seems pretty representative of the comic, so if you you aren't comfortable with stuff like "undead rapists licking children", might as well stop now. That said, I'm gonna stick with it at least a little more out of sheer curiosity.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Considering the number of characters who are already out looking for some kind of monstrous undead mage (including another new character who has shown up for one page and is already way cooler than Zombie McRapey will ever be), I'm kind of hopeful Murkoph winds up the victim of mistaken identity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Do we even know if Murkoph is a wright (mage)? Or particularly good at it?

And yeah, looking forward to the evidently somewhat legendary blacktongue guy being awesome. At least the comic is full of characters she is attached to, so no one of them need go full Mary Sue.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I didn't even notice Sette had slashed his face with her dagger. Well, I kind of love the ASOIAF books, so I guess I can enjoy a character whose morality isn't even close to mine, but only if the author actually DOES something interesting with it.

So yeah, I'm going to the "Please don't let this become Mary Sue Rapes A Ton" crowd. Though the licking fetish talk kind of lets me know this won't be the case. :sigh: Well, at least I enjoyed the art style. :v:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Since he's the one doing the raping, unless her fetish involve a change in gender, I don't know if Mary Sue is the right term. I think the term "Whizzard" would fit nicely.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

Do we even know if Murkoph is a wright (mage)? Or particularly good at it?

Dunno, but let's be honest, it's not like anyone's going to be in any mood to be picky. Pretty much everybody has a bone to pick with Duane as it is, if they see an undead dude licking little girls they're not going to be asking questions first.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The worry over this is kind of silly, in my opinion. People are worrying about this guy being one of her RP characters, but all the characters were and yet most people enjoyed the comic before that. As for the content... Yeah, I can definitely see people being bothered by that, but, well, we already have Starfish, and despite what someone said he wasn't subtle at all (one of his first actions was putting his hand up a child's shirt for crying out loud) so that isn't really a change either.

In other words, worrying that it's going to become a "Mary Sue rape-a-thon" is stupid because nothing's changed. It's still the author and her friends' old characters in a world where everything is terrible. Unless the author lost control of where she was going with things, again, it's still the same as it was from the start, you just know a bit of the behind-the-scenes stuff now.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Dunno, but let's be honest, it's not like anyone's going to be in any mood to be picky. Pretty much everybody has a bone to pick with Duane as it is, if they see an undead dude licking little girls they're not going to be asking questions first.

Oh, for sure. And then whatever Duane is up to is there to complicate things further. There's potential in both him recovering and in him remaining full zombie while everyone mistakes Muphy-guy for him.

I'd be happy if the licking just lead to him having to protest that he was just tasting, he wasn't planning to eat her. Jokes about him being a zombie and all are prettymuch the only good direction to take that, er, habit.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I just binged through the archives.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress?

I usually don't drop comics shortly after actually following them, but this one...okay, we have some child slavers and some other gory stuff, no biggie.

But then it just keeps getting gorier and gorier.

On the other hand, I kind of like the whole idea behind the khert and how "magic" works. I just...

I don't know what to think. I'll follow for a while, but I'd like it to stop sinking deeper and deeper into a hole of depravity.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Axiem posted:

I'll follow for a while, but I'd like it to stop sinking deeper and deeper into a hole of depravity.
You and me both. As much as I like how clever a lot of the comic is, having the tone shift from "Sette and Duane's big adventure" to "Saw with kids" all the time is just jarring, and Murkoph looks like he fully intends to take things to as many new lows as possible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hope this Murk fellow doesn't stick around. I know Unsounded can get pretty dark at times and deals with unsavory topics but come on*.

What is it about freeform RPers (and White Wolfers, for that matter) that compels them to Get Edgy With It?

*:cripes:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hope this Murk fellow doesn't stick around. I know Unsounded can get pretty dark at times and deals with unsavory topics but come on*.

What is it about freeform RPers (and White Wolfers, for that matter) that compels them to Get Edgy With It?

*:cripes:

This is still Friday's update, it was a multi-page deal. Today's isn't up yet. Also I don't know why freeform RPers get weird, even though I was one. It's a thing that happens I guess.

Edit: Actually, forgot, no new pages today anyway. Guess we're waiting until Wednesday to see if Sette puts her knife in this guy's eye; people said he wasn't affected but he is actually bleeding in the last panel, she just scratched him is the problem. Also that he's probably dead anyway.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 18, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
New page is up. Looks like Duane is here to save Sette the comic from Murkoph.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Thank God. Please let that be the end of that.

(I seriously love the titbird.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And here I was thinking he was only going to try and eat her since it's been however long since he had done so; nope, he absolutely was going to rape her. :gonk:

And this guy is going to be essentially one of if not the primary antagonist(s). Guess he's certainly hateable enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I'd be cool with her favorite character being a villain. I could see him as sort of an evil Lord Byron.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

loving finally, Duane.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

And this guy is going to be essentially one of if not the primary antagonist(s). Guess he's certainly hateable enough.

He still feels like kind of a cheap shock character even compared to Starfish, but I suppose some things come with the territory when one of your main protagonists' primary motivation is zealous overprotectiveness of children.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh hey, this comic got a thread and I totally missed it. Cool.

I actually quite enjoy this comic- I can totally see why some of y'all are getting skeeved off by it, but for whatever reason its flaws don't bother me. I read too much bad fantasy as a child to be put off by lots of exposition- probably for the same reason, I enjoy all the tidbits of worldbuilding throughout the comic. I don't read the wiki or the formspring or whatever, and I don't feel I'm missing out at all. The story is coherent enough in the comic that I'm able to follow what's going on, and as a bonus I don't have to hear about the author's licking fetish or whatever. (Thanks not at all for sharing that little bit of info, goons :argh:)

As for the depravity, I honestly don't get why some of ya are surprised at this point. I mean, if you'd just skipped from Chapter One to the recent pages it'd be understandable, but the comic's been going into very dark places since Chapter Two- unless you missed the whole "pedophile and his gang removing the organs of children to smuggle poo poo in their bodies". I like the contrast between the relatively cheery artstyle and palette and the story- I feel like this is one of the few occasions where that actually works (which surprises me- I find poo poo like Happy Tree Friends or whatever to be repulsive).

As for Murkoph, I do agree that he's a bit grating (definitely has that "author's favorite character" vibe), but I'm surprised anyone thought he'd replace Duane or something. I don't admittedly know too much about the author outside the comic, but so far she hasn't seemed the type to place a monster like Murkoph in a role where we're expected to root for him. A lot of Unsounded's characters are quite gray, but none of the protagonists even approach Murkoph's apparent depravity.

I'm quite happy that the latest comic has everyone's favorite glowing green guy reappearing, though. I don't think there's many other ways to describe the last couple pages than :gonk:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Flipped through this today and yeah, I think the worldbuilding is pretty great, especially the juxtaposition between bright abstract fantasy and bloody, gory horror in the recent development. The demigod raven, kelp forest of trapped dead embryos and the other creepy, metaphorical creatures are awesome. Reminds me of Sandman a bit. But... then I read the rest of this thread. And holy gently caress, this could get too cringeworthy pretty fast if the author takes it in the wrong direction. Seems like when someone's roots are in deviantart and that kind of roleplay/fanfiction, they ALWAYS have to drag pieces of that awkward influence into their work, or they leave little hints of their inner depravity through the work like muddy footsteps. Oh, looking through her DA I found a drawing to go with some sort of story written by another DA yaoi type woman where a kid gives into stockholm syndrome and gets hosed by a pirate. Yup!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Flipped through this today and yeah, I think the worldbuilding is pretty great, especially the juxtaposition between bright abstract fantasy and bloody, gory horror in the recent development. The demigod raven, kelp forest of trapped dead embryos and the other creepy, metaphorical creatures are awesome. Reminds me of Sandman a bit. But... then I read the rest of this thread. And holy gently caress, this could get too cringeworthy pretty fast if the author takes it in the wrong direction. Seems like when someone's roots are in deviantart and that kind of roleplay/fanfiction, they ALWAYS have to drag pieces of that awkward influence into their work, or they leave little hints of their inner depravity through the work like muddy footsteps. Oh, looking through her DA I found a drawing to go with some sort of story written by another DA yaoi type woman where a kid gives into stockholm syndrome and gets hosed by a pirate. Yup!

It's a very noticeable "vibe" IMO, you can feel the deviantart in this comics blood pretty much. I mean a lot of stuff that many readers have no problem with stand out to me as being structured like fan-fiction concepts and DM exposition. Her rendering is really good and there is tons of vision displayed in the design (the current environment's probably be my favorite) but I'm not really holding out much hope for this not being incredibly cringe inducing on the characterization / plotting front.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah, I suppose by worldbuilding I more meant visual structuring, referring to what I liked about the "magic undercurrent" of the world.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EgoEgress posted:

I actually quite enjoy this comic- I can totally see why some of y'all are getting skeeved off by it, but for whatever reason its flaws don't bother me. I read too much bad fantasy as a child to be put off by lots of exposition- probably for the same reason, I enjoy all the tidbits of worldbuilding throughout the comic.

I love the worldbuilding, it's the beat-it-into-the-ground walls of text that are obnoxious. For instance, you can get a decent idea of how magic works from the big dog in the giant chase sequence in Mulimar: wrights casting by swapping around physical properties of objects. Duane sometimes comments on his glamours too. Pretty cool, right? But then the comic pauses for three pages in the middle of one of its biggest fight scenes in order to spell it out at great length. (Yes, I'm going to keep harping on this example.) The comic includes an amazing amount of subtle detail about the world in both its text and visuals and it's delicious, which is why it's so cloying when some breaks down into a multi-page-long infodump.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
I love how Titbird is peeking in in that last panel.

"C'mon li'l buddy, you can do it!"

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I'm a bit surprised the latest foray into disturbing territory has turned so many readers off, readers who presumably were okay with the child sacrifice/molestation/fever dream segment from earlier in the comic. Then again, I read a lot of horror and dark fantasy, so I'm finding it pretty easy to roll with the current storyline -- none of this would be out of place in any of the short anthologies I've bought lately, and I forget that might be jarring for some. But it's also apparent to me the author is intentionally going for disturbing, so it's not like she doesn't know how creepy the situations and images are.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's a very noticeable "vibe" IMO, you can feel the deviantart in this comics blood pretty much. I mean a lot of stuff that many readers have no problem with stand out to me as being structured like fan-fiction concepts and DM exposition. Her rendering is really good and there is tons of vision displayed in the design (the current environment's probably be my favorite) but I'm not really holding out much hope for this not being incredibly cringe inducing on the characterization / plotting front.
This is super interesting to me (though it might be a better discussion for the general Webcomic or Making Comics thread?) because I know what you mean by the self-indulgent flavors of fanfic or DMing, but I can't exactly pinpoint what those markers are. This makes me especially nervous as a creator, since there's an aspect of self-indulgence in any art a person makes, and you want to like your characters and plots a lot, so how can you know when you've crossed that invisible line? Most people don't seem aware when they're doing it, so I'm afraid of not being able to recognize that in my own work.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 21, 2013

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Crisco Kid posted:

I'm a bit surprised the latest foray into disturbing territory has turned so many readers off, readers who presumably were okay with the child sacrifice/molestation/fever dream segment from earlier in the comic.

For me, it's the difference between showing us that these are very bad people who do bad things and lingering at great depth on the things they're doing. At a certain point, if an author keeps going into great depth on the terrible things people are doing, I start to think that the author doesn't actually think those things are bad. And I know moral relativism blah blah blah, but it still ends up bothering me.

Kind of like how I think Psycho would be a much worse movie if we actually saw the shower scene in more gory detail. Part of art is knowing what not to show, as well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crisco Kid posted:

I'm a bit surprised the latest foray into disturbing territory has turned so many readers off, readers who presumably were okay with the child sacrifice/molestation/fever dream segment from earlier in the comic.

The main difference was that the culprits in the previous segment didn't have an aura of "author's pet" and a long series of comments from the fandom going along the lines of "he's so sexy, I wish he'd eat *me*~". This is the kind of subtle, little difference that separate "these characters are horrible and I hope they'll be stopped by the heroes" from "this author is disturbed and I'll stop reading this story" -- an important difference!

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Cat Mattress posted:

The main difference was that the culprits in the previous segment didn't have an aura of "author's pet" and a long series of comments from the fandom going along the lines of "he's so sexy, I wish he'd eat *me*~". This is the kind of subtle, little difference that separate "these characters are horrible and I hope they'll be stopped by the heroes" from "this author is disturbed and I'll stop reading this story" -- an important difference!
Ah. It's probably just as well I never read the comments, then.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Starfish and his crew are pretty blatantly absent any kind of redeeming qualities and are introduced as unsympathetic monsters even before you meet them, and yet most of their really heinous stuff sort of happens offscreen, it's gross as hell but I don't think it's reasonable to conclude from it that the author approves of what's going on; there's a difference between that and anime prettyboy who the author tries to depict as like a supernaturally charming magic man luring and then attempting to rapemurder a little girl right there in his introduction, metatextual Deviantart poo poo or no (although going by that he's also an unstoppable power-fantasy superhuman, woohoo). It's not like it's a shocking reveal that this chill-seeming dude's a serial killer, it's like he's obviously a loving serial killer but the framing is treating that like it's a sexy bad-boy thing.

It's entirely possible it'll get played off well and become a sort of 'what the gently caress' scene for the rest of the comic but for anyone who's been exposed to bad internet fiction that kinda character's like the "I'm not racist, but" of sex scenes involving knives, you can hardly be blamed for not wanting to go all the way down the rabbit hole just to see if this isn't the one time ever that it bodes good things.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 21, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Starfish and his crew are pretty blatantly absent any kind of redeeming qualities and are introduced as unsympathetic monsters even before you meet them, and yet most of their really heinous stuff sort of happens offscreen

Why do people keep saying this? One of Starfish's first actions after being introduced is to molest a little girl (sticking his hand up her shirt and feeling her up) before sending her off to have all her organs removed. This is the third or fourth time someone's tried to say that Starfish's crew did most of their bad stuff offscreen or that their evil was relatively subtle or whatever, but it wasn't. It was horrible and disturbing from the beginning, and it was always pretty drat blatant.

Really, I don't know what's worse/stupider about this ongoing panic here, people freaking out over the new villain because he's pretty and the author likes his character, or that they're ignoring/forgetting/waving away the existing child-raping and murdering bastard's actions because, I dunno, he's fat and ugly and therefore it's not a big deal or something. Not being okay with those things in general is more than understandable, but it looks like most of the people in here are freaking out because they've convinced themselves the author drew the latest strips with one hand occupied based more or less on the supposition and words of other people in this same topic freaking out over etc. It'd be fascinating if it weren't so stupid.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I got put off based on the links I found in this thread, mainly, like her Deviantart and the million word Formspring that reeks of obsessed DM. I'm obviously not writing the whole comic off until we see more where it's going, but this is a case of doing something unpleasant to the viewer that unquestionably holds some sort of appeal to the author (the licking, the character itself, etc) and that is an overall nauseating combo.

So yeah, I guess it's seeing the elements intended to repulse the viewer and garner sympathy against a villain re-played with a character that the author obviously thinks is a sort of anti-hero that the reader should like. Why show us the character attempting to molest a kid? Couldn't he just like.. threaten to slit her throat or something, just for kicks? That would get the point across pretty fast, I think! Why the sexual undertones? It's the pointless sexualization that brings part of that "DA vibe" people mentioned. Starfish isn't sexualized to the author, but give me a break, this guy obviously is.

If the author really wants to play the whole bad boy vibe with Murk, why send a little girl down to meet him? Why not save it for later, with a different foil? Etc etc etc. You see why this is dumb and creepy.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 21, 2013

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Why do people keep saying this? One of Starfish's first actions after being introduced is to molest a little girl (sticking his hand up her shirt and feeling her up) before sending her off to have all her organs removed. This is the third or fourth time someone's tried to say that Starfish's crew did most of their bad stuff offscreen or that their evil was relatively subtle or whatever, but it wasn't. It was horrible and disturbing from the beginning, and it was always pretty drat blatant.

Really, I don't know what's worse/stupider about this ongoing panic here, people freaking out over the new villain because he's pretty and the author likes his character, or that they're ignoring/forgetting/waving away the existing child-raping and murdering bastard's actions because, I dunno, he's fat and ugly and therefore it's not a big deal or something. Not being okay with those things in general is more than understandable, but it looks like most of the people in here are freaking out because they've convinced themselves the author drew the latest strips with one hand occupied based more or less on the supposition and words of other people in this same topic freaking out over etc. It'd be fascinating if it weren't so stupid.

For me it's about the presentation, not the content. I find Starfish and his henchmen to be really well done villains, not because they are monsters but because they are human. Ruthless bullies who will do unconscionable things for the promise of obscene wealth, yes, but they're still given distinctly human emotions and motivations. Even Starfish, who plunges the absolute depths of humanity's dregs and then goes a little lower, retains a certain base logic to his actions. In a way he's arguably more horrible because there's something dreadfully believable about him--you want to think that nobody could be quite so evil in real life, but you probably really don't want to find out.

Whimsical Fantasy Rapeman just seems like a really cheap and lame character in comparison, even without delving into his questionable character inspiration.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I've been aware of Murkoph and Sette for a long time based on Ashley's other works, but in the context of Unsounded itself, he's only been in a handful of pages and his face is visible in all of two. Two pages. I get that people are extrapolating based off a ton of information from outside the comic, but we don't know how much of that is relevant in the Unsounded universe or storyline. Everything ya'll are worried about may indeed come to pass, but so far in the work itself we have very little information except a villainous character tricked Sette and is actually a bad, creepy dude. It's pretty unfair to the comic to be drawing so many conclusions and speculating on motivation beyond that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Crisco Kid posted:

I've been aware of Murkoph and Sette for a long time based on Ashley's other works, but in the context of Unsounded itself, he's only been in a handful of pages and his face is visible in all of two. Two pages. I get that people are extrapolating based off a ton of information from outside the comic, but we don't know how much of that is relevant in the Unsounded universe or storyline. Everything ya'll are worried about may indeed come to pass, but so far in the work itself we have very little information except a villainous character tricked Sette and is actually a bad, creepy dude. It's pretty unfair to the comic to be drawing so many conclusions and speculating on motivation beyond that.

I don't think it's objectionable to go :stare: "Really?" at some of the information we have so far. I thought that assuming Murkoph is a pedophile rapist seemed excessive, but this last page certainly open to that interpretation. Really at this point it doesn't seem like there's much else to discussion on the topic besides turning around on vary degrees of "EW!" and "Maybe it won't be so bad!" So is there any other topic to talk about before we sink into even more degrading hyperbole?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Crisco Kid posted:

I never read her other comics or looked at any of her other stuff before and the guy was still throwin' out all the ~super special unique OC who's dark and dangerous rawrrr :3~ red flags so whether or not it actually pans out that way in fifty pages or whatever it's certainly a reading the comic as it stands currently supports