Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Krinkle posted:

What bothers me is there wasn't a gratuitous motive offered. Togami was killed, first, because why? He knew too much is the meta reason. He'd give the plot away is the meta reason he had to die first. What is the in game motive? Nobody was threatened with anything besides getting shot by howitzers if they tried to island hop or tear down trees. Why kill Togami, specifically? Monobear, or whoever is controlling monobear, has the motive and if it's a mole, who specifically took out Togami for knowing too much, they're going to get punished the first round so that makes terrible motivation.

Whoever did the killing needed barely any push at all.

Maybe it wasn't premeditated against a specific person, and the killer stabbed the first person in reach. (And Togami's so big, when he stands around the lodge, he stands around the lodge.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Sherringford posted:

I kind of liked Togami, but A MURDER! YES! Screw Togami, we got a murder and that's what matters.

This is a pretty interesting murder so far. I think the most important thing to keep an eye on is whether the murder was premeditated or not. The circumstances kind of make it seem like it wasn't planned ahead of time what with the power outage and all. They couldn't really have known it was gonna happen, so they had to have planned on the fly. But deciding to murder someone on the fly like that plus getting a weapon despite Togami's best efforts seems unlikely. But if it was planned, then Nagito would be pretty suspicious considering how he's the one who was there ahead of time to clean up the place.
I feel like the murder (or the intent to murder) was premeditated and the perpetrator was an opportunist. As you said, they couldn't have worked around all of this haphazard security without a plan, and they knew exactly where everyone was going to be (and when, how, and under what circumstances). Unless they planned the power outage (seems unnecessarily chaotic and self defeating), they probably just decided that it was go time after the lights went out.

If they actually did plan to turn off the power, I assume that some element slipped in the chaos is going to bite them in the rear end. Disorder and panic without sense has too many variables to properly control the situation, at least if you're trying to get away with murder.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Son Conan posted:

Wow, I didn't expect Togami to be the first to go. I expected to see him give into despair as he found himself incapable of keeping the others from killing each other.

These are the questions I'm asking myself right now:

1) Who (or what) is in the bathroom?

2) Where's Peko? (I'm actually going to guess that she's the person in the bathroom)

3) What is that green strip of material that's hanging over Togami's body?

4) Was Togami actually planning to kill someone and got killed instead (like in DR1)?

My current thoughts on these are:

1) Christ knows, but Monomi/Monobear's controller is an interesting shout.

2) I'm going to say she's still in the office, she would've noticed the breaker go and flipped it back to put the lights on. Which makes the kill very risky since you're counting on a third party giving you enough time to get the job done.

3) Probably the streamer you can see hanging down behind the table, the idea that the knife was attached to that is my favourite theory here so far.

4) I doubt it, Togami would've had to know the knife was there (if it was on the streamer) and I don't think he went to the lodge all day. Plus it would make no sense for him to point out that a knife was missing from the kitchen if he planned to use it as a murder weapon later.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Son Conan posted:

that one is easy, there is a matching strip of green on the knife, presumably it was holding the knife to the bottom of the table.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

slowbeef posted:

It means if your post only consists of "I'm sad Togami died!" and that's it, then it's low content. Pre-emptive strike.

There's no sort of trick where night vision can't see green, is there? No, that's ridiculous.

Even if there were, that would be a little too similar to a climactic puzzle of a game that most Dangan Ronpa players should be familiar with. Like, it may be meant to be an easy puzzle, but I can't imagine them going with something so derivative-seeming.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ugh Nagito is dead in the bathroom isn't he. If Togami died and he lived he would just say "oh by the way, everybody, here's the deal:"

e: okay nevermind I guess I'm bad at keeping track of where people are

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 20, 2013

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Also, I think it's pretty convenient that Mikan just HAPPENED to fall and catch everybody's undivided attention right at the moment somebody would need to slip back into the room. I feel some kind of collaboration going on, especially since Monobear hasn't yet established that having an accomplice is pointless unless both of you murder somebody.

It could also be Kuzuryuu though. It would seem pretty obvious if he were the culprit, but then again, 11037.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
So Porkfeet is dead with a wound on his belly. Interesting.

Also, I wonder how they managed to pull Togami, without leaving any blood trace, to below the table. Something is terribly off about that, considering how large Togami is, in this game. The green stuff on the table cloth is bothering me a little bit as well, I doubt it would be to conceal the knife.

I will try not to overthink it much, since probably it will be, again, a tutorial trial, so the answer will be kinda given out on a silver platter.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Krinkle posted:

Ugh Nagito is dead in the bathroom isn't he. If Togami died and he lived he would just say "oh by the way, everybody, here's the deal:"

Here was there just before Hinata looked under the table, and he's been there throughout the night. How could he be in the bathroom? According to Nidai someone's been in there all night.

There could just be no one in there at all and it's just been locked or something, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Catastrophics posted:

The floorboards are so old that potentially they could be lifted up and then put down without it being obvious. Somebody could climb underneath them and crawl from one part of the lodge to another.

This is probably what happened. My current theory: as soon as the lights went out, Togami crawled under the table, where he'd stashed a knife in case self-defense was necessary. However, the killer already knew this was where Togami would be in this situation, so they snuck under the floorboards and stabbed him with the skewer from under the floor. The skewer would be able to fit between the floorboards, and the way his body is positioned, combined with the lack of bloodstains anywhere but immediately around him, suggests that he was already lying down there before he was killed. (He may have also been able to take a swipe at the killer, hence the blood on the knife.)

Except this doesn't account for the blood all over the tablecloths, and while it did take him by surprise it doesn't really explain why he didn't scream or anything while the lights were off.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I gotta say, it's not looking too good for the guy who spent the entire day in the lodge, got the chance to survey the entire layout and condition of the lodge (most notably, I think, the sealed windows), and at one point stopped by the supermarket where the night-vision goggles were kept.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Skunkrocker posted:

- Dancer is a psychopath.
- Criminal is missing.
- Swordgirl had access to the breakers.
- Chef had his untensils taken.
- Gymnast smelled blood when no one else did.
- Not-nagei is not who he seems.
- Coach was denied potty time.
- Nurse is purposefully clumsy.
- Gamer knows how to use nightvision.
- Mechanic is panicking.
- Princess is not used to being bossed around.
- Musician is acting like everything is cool.
- Animalguy wants to be evil, also his earring went missing.
- Photographer has no reason, which is the best reason of all: plausible deniability.

That's a good sum-up. The trouble is, no one has reason to have genuine antipathy towards Togami -- unless the reason is incredibly petty.

Except Monobear.

So, maybe whomever the mole is (because there is a mole, how could there not be) pulled something. Though it's unlikely they're directly responsible.

Anyway, taking things a bit further...

- Saionji's a creep, but she'd be more dangerous, say, to Gundam's hamsters -- she hasn't yet expressed interest in killing humans, so she would have needed time to work herself up. Would a target as large as Togami make sense? I'd be more afraid if I were Hanamura or Koizumi, the least intimidating of this lot. She seems most likely to prey upon the helpless.
- Kuzuryuu made a scene. Unless he's critically moronic (and he's supposed to be a seasoned criminal, whatever his age), he wouldn't make the first strike because he knows he'd be suspected. In fact, he'd want to stay as far away from the rest of them as possible until he's good and ready to make a move -- but then, could this just be a deliberate alibi?
- Pekoyama seems too rational to lash out first.
- Hanamura...why would he want to kill the guy who'd clearly most appreciate his art? Unless he were actually concerned that Togami might devour everything and leave the rest of them with nothing?
- Owari was too busy stuffing her face. If she was going to lash out at Togami, it would have been when he was stopping her from digging in.
- Komaeda...I got nothin'. He's too much of an unknown. The only thing I can think of is his conspicuous similarity to Naegi and some utterly wild speculation that he is Naegi, has been brainwashed by Monobear, and is acting on his behalf.
- Nidai seems unstable.
- Tsumiki is only a suspect if she's a ludicrously good actress.
- Nanami I have no counterpoints for. She seems like she's trying to obfuscate something with her spaciness.
- Souda could have utterly freaked out. But...eh, he reminds me of Leon, and why have that guy be the first culprit twice? :v:
- Nevermind hasn't nearly gotten to the point where she's so fed up with this that she's ready to execute anybody.
- Mioda could also be trying to obfuscate something. I'm suspicious of her.
- Come on, unless they find tiny hamster bites all over Togami's jugular, can Gundam really be responsible?
- Koizumi is so non-distinctive (besides being somewhat passive-aggressive) that it feels like she's hiding something. But if she is, it probably wouldn't be revealed yet, speaking from a narrative standpoint, so why would she be the first culprit?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Son Conan posted:

Wow, I didn't expect Togami to be the first to go. I expected to see him give into despair as he found himself incapable of keeping the others from killing each other.

These are the questions I'm asking myself right now:

1) Who (or what) is in the bathroom?

2) Where's Peko? (I'm actually going to guess that she's the person in the bathroom)

4) Was Togami actually planning to kill someone and got killed instead (like in DR1)?

1) Nidai thinks they've been in there all this time, and he'd certainly be checking often. We've seen all the other students at the party except for Kuzuryuu. So there are three possibilities: Kuzuryuu is in there, dead or alive, someone other than the 16 (risky), or no one is in there at all and the door was somehow locked to make people think there was someone in there.

2) Peko could be in the bathroom now, but we know she wasn't in there earlier. See Nidai's testimony. She apparently wasn't in the storage room... although we only have Nagito's word for that. If some floorboards are loose she could have left that way, although I can only think of nefarious reasons to do so.

3) It appears to be tape. It looks like a knife was taped to the underside of the table. All the kitchen knifes were apparently accounted for, so it must have been brought in from elsewhere. I only see a few possibilities for who could have put the knife there: Nagito is the prime suspect, he had access to this place all day. Togami frisked everyone, and as the guy in charge of security he could have smuggled in a knife of his own. The third possibility is the implausible idea that someone crawled underneath, lifted the floorboards and taped the knife up underneath. That seems unlikely. It's also probably not from the duralumin case Peko was guarding, because there'd be no need for tape.

4) It depends on whose goggles those were. Togami could have pulled them off of his attacker. The goggles certainly did seem like they belonged to whoever turned out the lights. If they were Togami's, it seems more likely that he would have tried to kill someone than he had them just in case or he arranged the blackout just to try and catch someone planning murder in the dark.

Carrasco posted:

This is probably what happened. My current theory: as soon as the lights went out, Togami crawled under the table, where he'd stashed a knife in case self-defense was necessary. However, the killer already knew this was where Togami would be in this situation, so they snuck under the floorboards and stabbed him with the skewer from under the floor. The skewer would be able to fit between the floorboards, and the way his body is positioned, combined with the lack of bloodstains anywhere but immediately around him, suggests that he was already lying down there before he was killed. (He may have also been able to take a swipe at the killer, hence the blood on the knife.)

Except this doesn't account for the blood all over the tablecloths, and while it did take him by surprise it doesn't really explain why he didn't scream or anything while the lights were off.

Yeah, I like that theory. It does have some problems with how the killer knew where Togami would go and how he could slip underneath and back up quickly, but I can see how that would work.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carrasco posted:

Also quick reminder Togami was likely the one who said "Oy what are you doing! Stop it!" When everything when dark.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also quick reminder Togami was likely the one who said "Oy what are you doing! Stop it!" When everything when dark.

Right, but that's a bit too mild to be a reaction to murder.

Mazed posted:

That's a good sum-up. The trouble is, no one has reason to have genuine antipathy towards Togami -- unless the reason is incredibly petty.

Someone was probably repressing irritation at his leadership style. We've really only gotten a superficial impression of everyone so far, who knows what's going on under the surface.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
I like Togami as the first victim because typically in murder mysteries the first victim is the least developed. But Togami was actually the most developed character in this whole cast because we already spent a whole game with him, leaving more time with the new characters.

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?
So, there's not a lot to go on yet but I feel like I came up with a fairly plausible theory that explains all the evidence we have so far. I'll break it down step-by-step.

1. The knife was placed under the table, held there by glow-in-the-dark tape. This means the murder was premeditated and intended to be done in the dark (the tape was so the murderer could find it in the dark).

2. The knife would almost certainly had to have been placed there before the party started, as Togami removed all weapons and there was no opportunity to get weapons out of the box, as Togami had the key with him at all times. The only two people that we know were in the lodge beforehand are Nagito and Hanamura.

3. To turn the lights off, the murderer would need to get past Pekoyama, which is no easy task. How could this be accomplished? By drugging Pekoyama's food with laxatives, forcing her to use the bathroom. Perhaps accidentally the murderer may also have drugged Nidai's food, hence why he really needs to take a poo poo.

4. After turning off the lights, the murderer would have had to run back to the main hall to grab the knife.

5. Now, for whatever reason, Togami had a pair of nightvision goggles in the box he was carrying. He places them on and sees the murderer going for the knife. He attempts to stop them, there is a brief struggle under the table, and Togami gets stabbed.

With all that in mind, the main suspect is Hanamura. He had the opportunity to place the knife, he prepared the food and thus had the best access to drugging it, and he wasn't in the main hall at the time the lights went out.

Meeks Sisu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 20, 2013

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Is it a possibility that Peko was an accomplice of Togami? It seemed strange that he was willing to let her guard the weapons far from sight and near the breakers. Additionally he had Night Vision goggles prepared. Well, whatever his plan was, it backfired pretty badly.

Bummer Togami is out, but he had a bunch of death flags popping up.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

orenronen posted:

Mahiru-chan! This would make a great picture!

Not to distract from the whole murder chat, but by any chance is this a Fatal Frame reference you missed, or is "shutter chance" an actual thing Japanese people say?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My money's currently on Akane. She "smelled the blood", including its general direction, and was obviously growing increasingly annoyed with Togami getting between her and the food that she so desperately wanted to eat.

It works without an extra motive.

BackwardPalindrome
Dec 9, 2012

Joakim Mogren is totally rendered in the FOX Engine you guys.
I think the problem with it being Akane is that she wouldn't just straight up give herself away like that if it had been her. She seems more clever than that. I honestly have no idea who it could possibly be, though. I like everyone so much.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

What's with all the red in this shot? Isn't the blood supposed to be pink?

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

saihate posted:

Is it a possibility that Peko was an accomplice of Togami? It seemed strange that he was willing to let her guard the weapons far from sight and near the breakers. Additionally he had Night Vision goggles prepared. Well, whatever his plan was, it backfired pretty badly.

Bummer Togami is out, but he had a bunch of death flags popping up.

Alternatively, and seemingly far more likely from his character development, Togami had the night vision not to commit a murder but because he thought this would happen and he wanted to be equipped to protect the students.

It's possible Togami may not have had night vision at all and just spotted that something was up due to the killer holding the knife while it clearly has some of that possibly glow-in-the-dark tape on it. This would sort of explain where the nightvision shows up in the death clip as well.

Basically, either
- Togami yanked the night vision off the killer's face as he got stabbed and the killer elected to flee, leaving it sort of grasped in Togami's fingers as we see in the video.

Or

- The killer stabbed Togami and yanked the night vision off Togami's face at the same time, but decided to leave it where it lies (maybe Togami countergrabbed, leaving it in the position it is?)

Or, even

- There were two sets of night vision goggles. Togami was stabbed while his set was still in his hands, never managing to get them on.

I think the first point is probably the most likely.

And nthing the "Byakuya-san, nooooo!" comments. He just seemed so awkwardly enthusiastic to protect everyone. This time, this time he was going to be the protagonist, he knew it :smith:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I doubt a character gimmick is going to be the actual motive.
That and this whole thing seemed way to planned out ahead of time.
It being the mole is more likely, seeing as how Togami actually had his head on straight and might have thrown a monkey wrench into the whole students killing each other thing they where going for.

It really didn't surprise me that he's the first to go but It's also kind of sad. On the one hand having no leader and a bunch of chaotic people will make for a more frantic and interesting game.
On the other hand I would have liked to see how Togami reacted to having all his plans fall apart when people still end up dying.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Peko is the obvious suspect here, and although we all expect more from Dandan Ronpa in terms of murder mysteries, keep in mind this is the first case of the game, it's not very likely that they're going to make it super difficult for us.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

junan_paalla posted:

It's still pink, but remember that blood isn't fluorescent; it blends in the shadows to make it look more darker than it seems. The blood on the knife is pink as well as the rest of it.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Carrasco posted:

Judging from the night vision goggles, I'd say Togami's intentions were far more sinister. Let me lay out my ideas for this whole thing here:

1) Togami, with the intent to murder another student, tapes one of the kitchen knives to the bottom of the table, as well as having the goggles ready to go. During the black out, he would put on the goggles, stab somebody to death, put the stuff back where he got it, and crawl back out. This way, even if they found the evidence under the table, literally anybody in the room could have pulled off the murder.

2) Somebody else, however, has found a way into the crawlspace. If they didn't already know Togami's plan, they could have easily noticed the bright green tape holding the knife to the bottom of the table (keep in mind they're seeing this from below). It didn't matter who was planning to use it, all they had to do was wait for somebody to go for it and get them with the skewer which is undoubtedly in their possession. Alternatively, they could have wrestled the knife from Togami's grip and killed him with that, since his body is not clutching the knife.

The question now is who the culprit is. Obvious suspects would be Kuzuryuu, Peko, or Nanami, since none of them were present during the murder. So let's look at them individually.

Kuzuryuu: Pretty straightforward, he could be anywhere on the island. He mentioned earlier that he would not hesitate to kill, and it's very likely he could have snuck into the building the other students were in and worked out the plan I described above.

Peko: She was in charge of the breaker switch, so unless something happened to her or the power was cut through alternative means, she should have been able to stop anybody else from using it. It's possible that Togami and her had worked out a deal, wherein she would throw the power and he would pull off the murder. If she knew how to get into the crawlspace, it's not much of a stretch to imagine she'd be able to turn the tables on Togami. The drawback is that she gains nothing from being a collaborator (though this has not yet been established), and since everybody knows she was in charge of guarding the breaker switches, she'll have to have some crazy excuse not to have been there. She might try and say she had to run to the bathroom, not being aware that the door was locked, and that could be her downfall. This one seems the most plausible to me.

Nanami: The only witness here is Monomi, who is being oddly silent. It's entirely possible that Nanami snuck into the crawlspace and did the deed if she knew the power was going to go out or had a way to shut it off from outside. Monomi could have promised not to say anything, which would explain the silence, but it seems unlikely that she would be okay with just letting somebody potentially kill another student.

My money's on Peko being the culprit with Kuzuryuu being the prime suspect. I think her's ties up the most loose ends with the mystery, but if there are any gaping holes in my theory, please feel free to point 'em out.

Armanky fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2013

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

Adjust your monitor settings? The blood is the same color as normal (although a lot of it is darker because there's little light under the table.)

EchoPrima
Oct 17, 2012

Okay so I'm immortal but other than that I've basically got fuck all going for me!
What I find weird is the way Togami died, I mean it doesn't exactly look like someone dragged him under the table more like he was killed under the table. So how did someone stab him to death? Judging from the blood splatters he was stabbed on the front of his body, so I don't see how someone could have gotten to him unless the stabbed him through the floorboards. If anything the knife was probably planted there earlier by someone but wasn't the weapon actually used, only two people had access to the cabin before everyone else which makes them both suspicious.

Also Pekoyama is probably the one in the bathroom, which is why she's absent from the office and I'm guessing Nidai's testament during the trial will acquit her from the murder.

demonwindmill
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure the knife is a distraction from the actual murder weapon. DR1 has done that before, and this seems way too obvious. That leaves the skewer as the real murder weapon, or possibly something not yet revealed to us.
As for the murder, it's too early with not enough motive for me to make a call, but I think it's someone who was in the room. Everyone not in the room is immediately suspicious, and because of that it's a bit too obvious. Then again, the fact that Togami was going to be the first murder victim was pretty obvious as well. Regardless, I still think it's someone in the room.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Evidence bullet: Togami is fat
He was stabbed by this six inch blade, right? I KINDA DOUBT THAT!!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Well, let's try some Ockham's Razor here.

- The lights go out, presumably due to the circuit breakers being shut off by the killer.
- The killer comes in with night vision and a knife, stabs Togami, leaves evidence under the table, leaves
- The killer turns the lights back on

...This seems too obvious, though, and doesn't incorporate the bathroom (yet). Without an accomplice, I can't figure out how the killer could toggle the power and be in the room when the lights go back on.

Doesn't the mean the killer must be someone outside the room?

demonwindmill posted:

I'm pretty sure the knife is a distraction from the actual murder weapon. DR1 has done that before, and this seems way too obvious. That leaves the skewer as the real murder weapon, or possibly something not yet revealed to us.

But then, why ditch the night vision? Unless they didn't have time to hide it, and figured that was the best out of that.

The only reason the plant the knife and goggles is to make it appear that someone outside the room did it. I think.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

A thing I noticed that I haven't seen people mention yet.

The only thing missing from the preparation list that Togami rattled off was a single skewer. Emphasis only, since he distinctly pointed out knives and general purpose cutlery. Therefore, either Togami knew the knife was there, or the knife is planted evidence. Most likely the latter, the skewer will likely come up at some point.

My main suspicion is our Chef, because he has the means and opportunity, but he lacks a motive. On the other hand, Dangan Ronpa has shown that trying to factor motive in the middle of a case is a futile effort.

Also, Togami wouldn't have put a knife under the table as a special precaution, he already has the second lockbox for that. Though what was in it, however, remains to be seen.

EDIT: Why would a killer need to plant a weapon with glow in the dark tape if they're wearing night vision goggles?

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 20, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

GoatLord posted:

Not to distract from the whole murder chat, but by any chance is this a Fatal Frame reference you missed, or is "shutter chance" an actual thing Japanese people say?

They say it enough that it has an entry in the real dictionaries I checked, most of them printed way before Fatal Frame was published.

That said, since I never played Fatal Frame (and so didn't realize they kept it in the English translation) I missed a good opportunity to create a reference even though one wasn't intended.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Right now, my gut reaction is Togami was planning to off someone, but someone beat him to the punch. The way he was hunting down anything that could be used as a weapon, maybe he was trying to ensure his intended victim would be unable to defend themselves? All his talk about "No one dying on my watch" could have been just setting up an alibi right from the start.

I agree with others, the locked bathroom certainly is involved somehow. Either someone was hiding, or was hidden in there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People were saying they heard Togami's VA saying "Hey what are you doing?" in the blackout, theory right now is that Nagito put a knife under the table during his clean up (he was the one who set up the tables and stuff right?) Togami brought the night vision equipment in that case that's just for him as well as other stuff and quickly put it on. He then saw Nagito going for the weapon and cue the "Hey what are you doing?" line. Nagito obviously beats him to the knife and stabs him, and quickly returns to the confused group.

Meeks Sisu
Mar 30, 2011

Is this performance art!?
A lot of people seem to be missing the obvious explanation that Peko is and was the person in the bathroom. It has to be either her or Kuzuryuu, and there is no reason for him to be in there. And since Nidai constantly pointed out that the person in the bathroom was there since the start of the party, that gives her an alibi for the murder.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

And thus first blood has been drawn, to absolutely no one's surprise. Of course Togami had to die first, he knew way too much for his own good and was probably the most likely candidate to spoil Monobear's game this time around. However, it's rather strange that whoever committed the first murder did so with basically no discernible motive other than wanting off the island... There could be foul play involved here, and I'm not liking it one bit. Come to think of it, nothing's really stopping Monobear from directly interfering now, is there...?

Given this is the first case, I'm going to assume it's going to be fairly straightforward in its execution and not introduce extraneous details like missing or non-student actors. My list of suspects is currently as follows:
Pekoyama comes off as immediately suspicious given she was away guarding the box, however more than likely she's meant to be a red herring. Kuzuryuu mentioned having absolutely no problems with killing people to get off the island, so that actually makes him the least likely suspect in my books.

Yes, perhaps the greatest suspicion would fall on Nagito. He's the only one who's been in the lodge all day (even before Hanamura), and would've had ample opportunity to swipe the night-vision goggles and hide them in a safe place before Togami went all TSA on people at the party. Besides, having the guy whose name is an anagram of the previous protagonist's name be the first murderer sounds like something the writers would do in an attempt to shatter the audience's expectations. Bonus points if he actually does turn out to be Naegi and he went ratfuck insane at some point down the line after the events of DR1. However, this is probably the line of reasoning the game will inevitably draw us towards anyway, so I'm kinda hesitant about calling him as the culprit yet. That, and part of me is still hopeful that he is Naegi and the game eventually provides some closure as to what he and Togami were doing on the island.

Personally, though, I'm leaning on Hanamura being the first murderer. Same reasoning as Nagito - he had access to a wide array of sharp, dangerous kitchen implements (like, for example, that kitchen knife next to Togami's corpse that was obviously taped under the table, or the skewer that's most likely the actual murder weapon) since before Togami inspected the kitchen, and he's always struck me as being jealous of our Dear Leader here... Plus, if you consider his reaction when Akane mentioned smelling blood in the air, one could construe this as him getting nervous the body's been discovered already. Again, this being the first case, there's probably some sort of obvious 'tell' as to who the murderer is based on their general demeanor after finding the body, and this could be it.

Initial ranting aside, though, something doesn't quite add up here. Obviously, Togami was killed during the blackout; notice that the previous update mentioned the sound of running footsteps, which most likely correlates with the killer making their move. However, it was never mentioned where the footsteps were coming from - it's entirely possible that the killer was at the main hall the whole time. However, like slowbeef said, I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing this as the work of a single suspect. The fact that there were night vision goggles on the scene implies that the blackout was planned - but would the killer really have the time to trip the breakers, run all the way towards the party, shank Togami in the gut, and slip back out before the lights went on? Or perhaps, like some people in this page are suggesting, the goggles actually belonged to someone else, perhaps even Togami himself? What bothers me more than the murder, though, is whoever's been hiding inside the locked bathroom all this time (if there's even anyone in there at all). If there is someone inside, the fact they haven't responded at all during this whole mess makes me suspect that we may actually be looking at a double murder here - the second corpse possibly being Pekoyama or Kuzuryuu.

Mersenne fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 20, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, it could be that a murder was premeditated, but not necessarily Togami's murder.

Whomever it was had been aware that a blackout was coming, and planned on offing whomever presented the easiest target, which in this case might have been Togami. I think both the knife and the goggles are a red herring, if this was the case, probably planted by the killer. The knife is covered in blood -- could it be animal blood, from raw meat? That supports the idea that Hanamura is responsible. Who would place a knife and goggles under the table, though? Nagito, since he was in there earlier?

We need to know more about other possible murder weapons, or at the very least, the fatal wound. Come on, Monobear. Show up and give us our case document. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It looks like Togami slipped those on after the lights shut off, given how paranoid he was about everything earlier. Unless there's another pair around, it must have been someone who could see in the dark well. Do any of the students fit that bill?

Or he killed himself by falling over, I guess, since the nurse helpfully reminded us about that just before.

• Locked thread