Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

slowbeef posted:

Without an accomplice, I can't figure out how the killer could toggle the power and be in the room when the lights go back on.

This is a murder mystery, and we haven't had a chance to inspect the circuit breaker yet. The killer could have used some kind of clever mechanism. If there's anything murderers love in mysteries, it's clever mechanisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
An explanation for the bathroom that was apparently occupied for the whole party is that the killer locked it from the start. Going off the previous Hanamura-used-laxatives idea, perhaps this is to force anyone to leave the building, leaving them indisposed for longer?

It doesn't explain why Chiaki and Monomi don't fess up to Peko leaving though. Though they are both using anime ellipsis ("....no. no one") and thus possibly lying, especially since it would be somewhat dangerous to reveal to someone that Peko is alone and vulnerable to being murdered.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Let's take a moment to consider Nagito as the culprit from a meta perspective. For one: his personality is incredibly one-note and gimmicky, to the point where keeping him around is really bland unless whatever, if anything, is under the surface doesn't come up soon. Moreover, we've spent the most time with him out of all the characters--he effectively fills the same role Maizano did in the first game. Additionally, if he is the culprit in this murder (and thus, the first to be executed) that would mean that the game's taking out both of its "legacy" characters in one go.

I don't know whether or not these factors make it more or less likely that he'll be the murderer, but they're worth taking into account.

Armanky posted:

Judging from the night vision goggles, I'd say Togami's intentions were far more sinister.

I'm thinking the night vision goggles were just part of his preparations; given how thorough and paranoid he was, planning for a power failure isn't out of the question.

Togami premeditating murder is an interesting idea though. He did arrange this entire situation, but if he was intending to murder, I think he would lay low rather than making himself such a prominent target. On the other hand, if it turned out that the person most insistent that everyone work together and trust each was lying through his teeth and planning to kill the whole time, that would be the recipe for maximum despair.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I think the most likely scenario is as someone else suggested, someone hid a knife under the table at some point, Nagito being most likely, but could have been someone who snuck one in or from the kitchen or something, who knows. The person saw the lights going off as the chance to attack someone, Togami gets his nightvision on and sees them go under the table, follows quickly and gets a chestful of action. The lights went out because Kuzuryuu attacked Pekoyama in the office perhaps, she was able to defend herself and ran off chasing him? Maybe? Doesn't explain how she got past Monomi and whatsherface in front though The three of them being out of sight are automatically the most suspicious, so I don't think they did it (how could they have run in so fast with the lights out? I doubt it), they will just be part of the case to determine what happened with the lights going off. Also the bathroom door has been locked all evening and nobody knows why, obviously the only student who could have been in there if it's locked from the inside is Kuzuryuu since all the rest were accounted for in the feast room. So it being locked may be unrelated to the murder, there's no evidence yet linking it to anything, it's just suspicious until we can investigate / kick it open.

So, ETA on Monobear making a surprise announcement about the murder, showing everyone that he knew about the party the whole time? I'm guessing immediately at the start of the next update.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Krinkle posted:

What bothers me is there wasn't a gratuitous motive offered. Togami was killed, first, because why? He knew too much is the meta reason. He'd give the plot away is the meta reason he had to die first. What is the in game motive? Nobody was threatened with anything besides getting shot by howitzers if they tried to island hop or tear down trees. Why kill Togami, specifically? Monobear, or whoever is controlling monobear, has the motive and if it's a mole, who specifically took out Togami for knowing too much, they're going to get punished the first round so that makes terrible motivation.

Whoever did the killing needed barely any push at all.

How about this for a motive?

1) I don't want to be here, I need to kill someone so I can leave.
2) This Togami guy is pretty smart and intimidating, if I kill someone he might find me out and/or inspire someone else to find me out.
3) I should kill Togami to have the best chance of getting away with murder.

Seems simple enough to me.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Evidence bullet: Togami is fat
He was stabbed by this six inch blade, right? I KINDA DOUBT THAT!!

Give this man a dollar. Togami wearing a suit of fat as ablative armor sounds right up the alley of a paranoid, but determined heir. Clearly the knife isn't going to, heh, cut it, unless it was wielded with great strength and precision, and from the pooling blood in the picture, it looks like Togami was hurt through the upper gut or chest, where there ought to be a lot of fat in the way. My bet is on the spit. The blood so far up along the undersides of the tablecloth is a bit weird, though. Maybe he really -was- stabbed from a crawlspace beneath the tables... do note how this particular table has no carpet beneath it!

Anyway, I believe the most likely culprits are Nagito or Pekoyama. They're the only ones with 'access' to the right kinds of materials, skills and opportunities to put a swift and planned end to Fatogami (martial arts in Peko's case, 'Luck' in Nagito's). This early in the evidence-gathering I'm leaning towards Nagito, really, since he had the scouting and planning advantage for whatever happened here, but it being Peko or someone else (for reasons yet unknown) is definitely possible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Monathin posted:

A thing I noticed that I haven't seen people mention yet.

The only thing missing from the preparation list that Togami rattled off was a single skewer. Emphasis only, since he distinctly pointed out knives and general purpose cutlery. Therefore, either Togami knew the knife was there, or the knife is planted evidence. Most likely the latter, the skewer will likely come up at some point.

My main suspicion is our Chef, because he has the means and opportunity, but he lacks a motive. On the other hand, Dangan Ronpa has shown that trying to factor motive in the middle of a case is a futile effort.

Also, Togami wouldn't have put a knife under the table as a special precaution, he already has the second lockbox for that. Though what was in it, however, remains to be seen.

EDIT: Why would a killer need to plant a weapon with glow in the dark tape if they're wearing night vision goggles?

Hanamura was in the kitchen though he barely had any opportunity. Added on Nagito had just as much if not more opportunism and means as Hanamura. Peko was the one who was near the circuit breakers. And Kuzuryuu disappeared but it's possible he was in the bathroom this whole time. In fact Kuzuryuu stopped hanging around with the group before they decided to use this room to hold the party. Kuzuryuu could have heard about this went over took a weapon and hid in the bathroom until lights went off. Honestly their are a lot of people that we can suspect.

On the glow and the dark weapon. Once again I think Togami brought it to stop a murder and just messed up as we heard him yelling at someone to stop. (Which I don't think he could do unless he could see.)

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Wolery posted:

How about this for a motive?

1) I don't want to be here, I need to kill someone so I can leave.
2) This Togami guy is pretty smart and intimidating, if I kill someone he might find me out and/or inspire someone else to find me out.
3) I should kill Togami to have the best chance of getting away with murder.

Seems simple enough to me.

Don't forget too that there's a gigantic timer ticking down on a suspiciously bomb-like apparatus. That on its own is a pretty good motive to get the hell out ASAP.

A note about the bathroom: All that we really know is that it was locked. If coach had confirmed that somebody was occupying it by knocking or asking, they would have also known WHO was in there. It seems odd he'd say "somebody's in there" instead of, say, "Pekoyama's in there". Unless he's respecting her privacy.

Also, regarding the night vision goggles, I think it's extremely unlikely that anybody would have used them without the intent to murder. Presumably, the blackout was part of the plan, and the knife would be grabbed and used during. So say, for instance, Togami pulled out the goggles, as some have suggested, as a safety precaution. There are a couple of things that don't make sense.

1) Why is Togami not wearing the goggles after his death?
2) How did the culprit intend to find a target short of blindly stabbing the first person they ran into? It seems rather dangerous.
3) If Togami saw somebody with a knife, why wouldn't he scream and warn everybody? Is "Hey, what are you doing? Stop that!" an appropriate reaction?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I actually think the night vision goggles belonged to Hanamura. If his plan was to drug Peko's food, flip the breaker, then walk into the dining room to stab someone, he could've used the goggles to quickly get to the dining room, stab someone, then pretend he stumbled into the room a while later as a fake alibi. It wouldn't explain who prepared the glow-in-the-dark knife, though, since he obviously wouldn't have needed it if he had the goggles on. Maybe Nagito prepared it while setting up the room after watching Hanamura case the lodge and spend a little too long lingering near the circuit breakers.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 20, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

drat, I was really hoping that Togami would live to the end of the game again, because "the survivor from the prequel" never survives. No one would expect it.

The Chairman posted:

I actually think the night vision goggles belonged to Hanamura. If his plan was to drug Peko's food, flip the breaker, then walk into the dining room to stab someone, he could've used the goggles to quickly get to the dining room, stab someone, then pretend he stumbled into the room a while later as a fake alibi. It wouldn't explain who prepared the glow-in-the-dark knife, though, since he obviously wouldn't have needed it if he had the goggles on. Maybe Nagito prepared it while setting up the room after watching Hanamura case the lodge and spend a little too long lingering near the circuit breakers.

Actually, remember that Nagito left to go to the supermarket at one point, meaning anyone could have snuck into the dining room to plant the knife.

Also, this would be a great time for oren to take a break from DR2 to finish up the DR1 stuff. :shepface:
Seriously though I can't think of a more appropriate time to finish up Togami's first set of free-time events.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 20, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm not surprised at the death, but I'm not happy either. :( I hope that we learn a lot of things with this trial. Otherwise, it really is too cruel to have him go first.

Someone is STILL locked in the bathroom. Is our Babyface Gangster in there? Did he slip in under Togami's radar and hide there the whole time, but why even do that? Unless the floorboards suggest that you can slip under the cabin, maybe he locked the bathroom from the inside and then slipped under the cabin to hide under the table? That way he can claim to have an alibi, ie. I was locked in the bathroom and couldn't get out, or something.

Peko being missing, I really don't suspect her at all, but I wonder where she is. She seems like someone that would take guarding seriously, especially for offering to do so, so I don't know.

I feel like Souda is acting kind of weird, but maybe I'm just reading into his character wrong.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
My prediction on vic/sus is 1 for 1 so far. Not sure I believe my assessment of the specific suspect will be right in this case, but I'm pretty happy with my list so far.

I'm kind of hoping this first case will be wrapped up fairly quickly, the pacing seems really awkward this time around. Hopefully the pace will start to ramp up with this first death.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if Monobear's in the bathroom, giggling every time Coach tries to open the door and yells obscenities about his need to take a poo poo.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Carrasco posted:

Let's take a moment to consider Nagito as the culprit from a meta perspective. For one: his personality is incredibly one-note and gimmicky, to the point where keeping him around is really bland unless whatever, if anything, is under the surface doesn't come up soon. Moreover, we've spent the most time with him out of all the characters--he effectively fills the same role Maizano did in the first game.

There's no accounting for taste, of course, but I feel like Nagito's one of the least one-note and gimmicky characters. For one, he actually tries to be subtle from time to time.

I also don't agree with him being like Maizono; he hasn't sucked up to the protagonist nearly enough for that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some of us have been speculating that Kuzuryuu has been murdered already, and that his corpse is sitting in the bathroom. I really kind of hope we don't lose two of the characters right away, especially since we there's so little direct interaction with the little yakuza. I'm expecting that Togami was either planning on dispatching one or more of the students while the lights were out, or he wanted to bait out the killer and failed. I would also not be surprised if the Duralumin case with all of the sharp things inside has gone missing.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah I'm going with Nagito as the first killer right now.
Here's my view just looking at the body scene and all these updates:

-Nagito was the one that prepared the whole party so he coud have brough the knife from the supermarket (in a earlier update he mentions that it has everything there so probably knifes and other murdering help stuff) and hide it under the table, he also brought some tape and something that glows in the dark to help find the knife in the darknes (my best guess is that it's the green stuff in the knife and tape also, from the supermarket).

-He probably created some special mechanism that made the lights go off at a special time. This is the only part I don't have much to add and it's just a random guess but murder mysteries always have some clever mechanism when dealing with blackouts.

-Also since he was the one that worked on tables and such(and if he knew when the black-out would happen), even in completly darkness he could go to the table where he hid the knife easily, take it, then kill someone.

-Problem is Togami being the guy he is saw something like this coming so had the night vision goggles (also from the supermarket) in the Togami Box, took then and put then on. Saw Nagito doing his thing he runned after him, went under the table, and Nagito, during the strugle killed him.

There's still some stuff I don't know about that could change my culprit, like the way the blackout started or who in the hell is in the bathroom.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 20, 2013

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Mazed posted:

We need to know more about other possible murder weapons

I think we already have one other possible murder weapon. The missing skewer from the kitchen, they went out of the way to inform us that there was just the one skewer missing after all.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Edit: Quote is not Edit, ups.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Mondlicht posted:

I feel like Souda is acting kind of weird, but maybe I'm just reading into his character wrong.

One last thing - if Souda's telling the truth, that means he would've run into whoever turned the circuit breaker back on... provided the killer was trying to sneak back into the room. (Unless there are passageways through the floorboards, etc.)

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder what happened to Gundam's earring. Everyone in the thread seems to have forgotten about it, but the fact that a murder has happened and his sprite was even altered to show his earring missing and the game drawing attention to it seems like a thing that indicates the earring is relevant.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

slowbeef posted:

One last thing - if Souda's telling the truth, that means he would've run into whoever turned the circuit breaker back on... provided the killer was trying to sneak back into the room. (Unless there are passageways through the floorboards, etc.)

Maybe I'm being too logical for a video game, but I feel like if Souda was in the hallway when the power came back on, shouldn't he have stuck his head into the office anyway? Just to be like hey Peko, what happened, etc. Instead he comes back into the main room and is totally clueless about everything, but then offers to go check the office AGAIN now that he can (his emphasis) actually find it.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Well, bugger. The death flag for me was where Togami decreed in those free-time events that Hinata was going to be his assistant, because we saw how well that relationship went down last time.

Based on reactions alone in that last post, I'd clear Nagito of suspicion - if he didn't want the body found, then discounting/discreting Owari's nose would've been the more sensible option than stepping up as leader and getting the truth exposed. That would in turn make my pick for top suspect to be Hanamura, whose culinary flair's been stymied by Togami at every turn. The dude doesn't even appreciate food beyond its caloric value, which was a source of contention at breakfast as well.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Armanky posted:

Don't forget too that there's a gigantic timer ticking down on a suspiciously bomb-like apparatus. That on its own is a pretty good motive to get the hell out ASAP.

It might be a good enough motive to kill for, but it's not a good enough motive fpr the whriters to write about convincingly, especially for the very first case of the game.

Speaking in meta-game terms (which proved fairly inaccurate last time around the DR universe), there has to be some sort of deep personal revelation about either the victim or the killer during and after the trial sequence.

That tends to suggest Nagito, especially given how the weapon was probably staged ahead of time, as he's the only one who might possibly somehow have knowledge of who Byakuya Togami was from his time prior to entering Hope's Peak Academy.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it could just as easily be Kuzuryuu. The Kuzuryuu and Togami families could have had some sort of long-term shadow government vs. criminal underworld feud going on, as Togami made it clear that they were both very heavy hitting groups.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2013

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, I really didn't want it to be Togami first yet there he is.

Most of the stuff I noticed right away has already been pointed out, such as the streamer and the knife being somewhat connected... Which casts suspicion on Nagito and Hanamura. Which kind of sucks since I was starting to really get a laugh out of Hanamura's equal opportunity perving. What's really weird is aside from the 'I want off this island now' motive, it's hard to see what a solid motive for either of them... Think it's time to wait for the next update and see the reactions before I do any wild speculating.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Monomi is acting suspicious. She's hiding SOMETHING. I wonder if Monobear had a paw in this murder, to kick everyone's asses into gear?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

slowbeef posted:

The floorboards do seem to have gaps, so that's a possibility.

It seems like motive won't be too big of a factor here, since no one knows anyone well enough to suspect them of being the traitor or have any serious malice toward anyone. This seems to be about winning the game. There's no guarantee Togami was even the intended target.

Nagito certainly had an opportunity to hide some murder weapons when setting everything up. However, if he (or anyone else for that matter) had somehow set up a system to shut down the power remotely, how did they do it in a subtle way?

Peko's gone, and she had direct access to the breaker. Would she have been able to turn the power off, kill, flip the breaker again, then leave before anyone noticed? Doubtful, especially with Souda in the area. Secret passageways are a possibility, but it still seems far-fetched. Besides, why would she leave at all? It implicates her all the more.

Kuzuryuu has been missing the whole time. Finding out what has been going on with him is a key part to figuring this out. He could have sneaked in, or he could just be off being a red herring.

And then there's so many questions. Togami's second case, for instance. What was really in there? If it was the goggles, how did he anticipate the power going out? Was he even wearing them? Where's the missing skewer? Who's in the bathroom now? What happened to Gundam's earring?

I'm eager to see how the investigation pans out. There's a lot of little details that don't fit together in obvious ways, and the last game didn't rely on misdirection very much.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
In the interest of full disclosure: The art spoiler that tumblr hit me on involved the night-vision goggles. I am so glad that they turned out to be relevant to the first case so I won't have to wait out the whole game like "Hey, the goggles haven't shown up yet!" I hope I haven't ended up knowing too much about them; I'm going to avoid speculating about them in any case.

Right now, I'm still wondering about the washroom. Last update I incorrectly guessed that Nagito would be inside, which is now ruled out. Chiaki seems ruled out too, if she's still out front, so it reduces it to Kuzuryuu or Peko. But Coach seems to have been checking the washroom since before Peko has been at her post, so if it's been the same person the whole time (which sounds likely), if it's been any person, it'd have to be Kuzuryuu. (edit: or... Monobear. But interfering isn't characteristic of him and the rules say he won't).

I'm wondering how Coach is judging that someone is inside and not that it's locked for some other reason. I think it's generally not too hard to hear someone inside a washroom, or see lights and shadows through the door-cracks, etc. As to whether it's Kuzuryuu's corpse; I'm suddenly wondering whether Akane'd have smelled it if it were. Also, maybe a little more importantly, washrooms tend to be pretty hard to lock from the outside, so if it's locked at all, I think it's safer to guess that it's locked from inside, and not that someone tossed a corpse in there and locked it from the outside.

If someone is in there, does it mean anything? I think that it establishes an alibi for whomever is in there, actually. We seem to have a very tight time-frame for the murder to have taken place in (during the lights out), and as people have been pointing out, a very tight space for the murder: the lack of a blood trail and time for corpse-moving (R.I.P. Togami :( ) seems to restrict the scene of the crime to under the table where Togami was found. Could someone have gotten from the washroom, under the table in the far corner, killed Togami, then gotten back to the washroom? That... doesn't really sound possible. If Souda's being honest (and slowbeef's suspicion of him does sound legit, but let's assume), we didn't even have a wide enough timeframe for him to get across the hallway to the office in the dark during the lights-out.

Schazer posted:

Well, bugger. The death flag for me was where Togami decreed in those free-time events that Hinata was going to be his assistant, because we saw how well that relationship went down last time.

Togami won't be our anime girlfriend after all. :(

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 20, 2013

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
In retrospect, most of us saw this coming. :(

The surprising part is where the body was found. I would have thought there was a body in the locked bathroom, in a call-back to the first case of the original game. Then again, there still might be one(we still don't know where Peko or Kuzuryuu are), though I don't think they'll spring a double murder on us in the first chapter.

Kytrarewn posted:

Speaking in meta-game terms (which proved fairly inaccurate last time around the DR universe), there has to be some sort of deep personal revelation about either the victim or the killer during and after the trial sequence.

That tends to suggest Nagito, especially given how the weapon was probably staged ahead of time, as he's the only one who might possibly somehow have knowledge of who Byakuya Togami was from his time prior to entering Hope's Peak Academy.

Actually... that's a good point. Didn't Nagito claim to have done research on all the students before arriving at Hope's Peak? So when Monobear brought up the possibility of a traitor, maybe he put two and two together and realized that Togami wasn't supposed to be part of their class.

If someone thought that Togami could be the traitor, that would give them a motive right there. Suddenly, I'm growing suspicious...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Discussions on motives at this point seem useless since there isn't a strong motive for anyone who isn't a Monomole.

Armanky posted:

Judging from the night vision goggles, I'd say Togami's intentions were far more sinister. Let me lay out my ideas for this whole thing here:

1) Togami, with the intent to murder another student, tapes one of the kitchen knives to the bottom of the table, as well as having the goggles ready to go. During the black out, he would put on the goggles, stab somebody to death, put the stuff back where he got it, and crawl back out. This way, even if they found the evidence under the table, literally anybody in the room could have pulled off the murder.

No, not literally anybody. Togami vigorously searched everyone who entered. That would leave him, Nagito and possibly Hanamura as the suspects. If he had intentions to use the party to kill, searching everyone reduces the suspect pool and would be counter-productive.

I don't think the knife is from the lodge kitchen, Togami said everything but the skewers were accounted for. Kuzuryuu is probably alive, well and in the bathroom, to make him a good decoy suspect.

slowbeef posted:

Well, let's try some Ockham's Razor here.

- The lights go out, presumably due to the circuit breakers being shut off by the killer.
- The killer comes in with night vision and a knife, stabs Togami, leaves evidence under the table, leaves
- The killer turns the lights back on

...This seems too obvious, though, and doesn't incorporate the bathroom (yet). Without an accomplice, I can't figure out how the killer could toggle the power and be in the room when the lights go back on.

Doesn't the mean the killer must be someone outside the room?

The good news is that we may have a way to determine who was in the room at the time of the blackout: Mahiru was taking photos. I think that will be important and can show if someone has slipped out if they appear in none of the photos.

At the moment, my money is on Nagito, he had ample opportunity to discover any secrets of the floorboards and hide one of the skewers and/or plant the knife. He also may have slipped out of the party. He has no lines of dialogue between Nanami leaving the party until Souda complains about the difficulty of finding the way to the office in the dark. (Although that might be his shadow just on-screen, I'm not sure.)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The biggest mystery to me is still who's occupying the bathroom crapper. If Togami's dead under the table, who's dead in there? Someone has to be dead in there, or at least searching the toilet like a man would. They couldn't have a double murder for the very first killing, could they?

paddingly
Jan 4, 2013
Oh, Togami, why? :(

Has anyone else considered the idea that maybe Togami and Nagito are in cahoots? Considering these are our "legacy" characters, maybe they decided to take an early exit for some reason? Whether its to save themselves from despair or to maybe try and prevent the others from carrying out murders? I don't know, just struck me as a bit weird to set them up as so familiar if one is going to be murdered early and the other one a likely culprit.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Overlord K posted:

Man, I really didn't want it to be Togami first yet there he is.

Most of the stuff I noticed right away has already been pointed out, such as the streamer and the knife being somewhat connected... Which casts suspicion on Nagito and Hanamura. Which kind of sucks since I was starting to really get a laugh out of Hanamura's equal opportunity perving. What's really weird is aside from the 'I want off this island now' motive, it's hard to see what a solid motive for either of them... Think it's time to wait for the next update and see the reactions before I do any wild speculating.

Me neither, but it's not like I didn't see it coming. he had said he would try to stop everyone from dying, and lord knows, we can't have that. :smith:

I'm with you on the Nagito/Hanamura suspicions, but the fact that they had such a big part in this event (sole access to the room/food for a time) i'm alsio thinking they're kinda obvious too. The fact that the lights went out removes the alibi of pretty much everyone, as theoretically anyone could have operated night vision goggles, and Pekoyama had access to the circuit breakers, so she could have killed the lights or seen who did. And then there's our bathroom hog, but i doubt it's a body, but I got nothing to back that up as it's too early for the ol double murder.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Man, Togami's gone already? We'll never find out about his secret past at this rate!

Anyway, my wild speculation theory is this: Nagito and Togami set up the knife and emergency goggles just in case something like this happened, which meant that when the blackout occured, Nagito knew exactly where Togami would be and took the opportunity to stab him through the floor with the skewer. But how did Nagito get over there so quickly from the banquet room? Well, going through the pictures before the blackout, he's not in any of them. Not in the banquet splash picture, nor in what I assume is the first picture Mahiru took (and what's the bet that that and the second photo she took just before the blackout turn out to be important evidence). Nor is he in the picture showing everyone directly after the blackout. Seems like there's ample time for him to get under the boards, stab Togami, and get out again without anybody noticing.

If the circuit breaker was set up to go off automatically, Nagito has had the best opportunity to do that. If the skewer really was gone before Hanamura got there, he's the best suspect to have taken that too. Nidai says the toilet door's been closed the entire time they've been there, and we've seen every character bar Kuzuryuu, so if it was jammed before anyone arrived, Nagito probably did that too.

Having said all that it was probably Ibuki or something.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Suspicious Cook posted:

The biggest mystery to me is still who's occupying the bathroom crapper. If Togami's dead under the table, who's dead in there? Someone has to be dead in there, or at least searching the toilet like a man would. They couldn't have a double murder for the very first killing, could they?

It's Kuzuryuu, crossdressing and admiring him/herself in the mirror.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

paddingly posted:

Oh, Togami, why? :(

Has anyone else considered the idea that maybe Togami and Nagito are in cahoots? Considering these are our "legacy" characters, maybe they decided to take an early exit for some reason? Whether its to save themselves from despair or to maybe try and prevent the others from carrying out murders? I don't know, just struck me as a bit weird to set them up as so familiar if one is going to be murdered early and the other one a likely culprit.

I have. Nagito did have the chopsticks ready before he knew there would be a vote, and it looks like Togami knew there'd be a knife under a table, and since Togami's searches meant he would enter the hall after everyone else, that gives him much less of an opportunity to tape the knife there himself. It could be that he told Nagito to hide a knife.

Plus, the strongest motivation I can think of would be to shut Togami up before he tells what he knows, which also hints at Nagito.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Aston posted:

Having said all that it was probably Ibuki or something.

She stabbed him through the heart with her nose. Try working that one out, detectives.

My money's on the Yakuza though. Is a dick, dislikes Togami. Sounds like the kind of thing the tutorial case would throw at you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Suspicious Cook posted:

Maybe that particular bathroom is this game's mastermind's headquarters (assuming it's following the same rules as DR1), and will be blocked off until the end of the game?
At any rate, major case of blue balls from getting Togami murdered. Now we'll never know if this fatso was the same Togami as the one in the first game.
And is it just me or is this game more crude than the first? I mean, you have all the absurdly creepy fanservice, Nidai screaming about making GBS threads himself, and Mikan going on about farts and stuff like that.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Pekoyama is unlikely to me, but that's primarily because I think she's in the bathroom. The top two suspects are Souda and Hanamura, but I'm basing that on their reactions.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Maybe it's not important but the blood seems to have splattered a bit, right? And it seems like from the lack of blood trail leading to the table that he was stabbed there. I could be wrong but in that small space it'd be hard to stop blood from going all over your clothes. So whoever killed Togami would probably be covered in blood. They could have changed their clothes but there'd be nowhere to hide them for long, they couldn't have left the lodge or destroyed the clothes so a search would uncover them, right?

Though maybe there is somewhere to hide the clothes well, like under the floor. Oh wait, what if they got blood on their skin too? They'd have to wash it off in the toilets or the kitchen. And maybe they could have destroyed the clothes in the kitchen with the oven too. Although why is the toilet locked? It means that if the murderer didn't lock it then the kitchen would be the place to go. Or maybe the murderer did lock it but also locked someone in there to throw suspicion that person and then used the kitchen for washing hands and burning clothes. Wasn't Hanamaru in there though? Oh I don't know where I'm going with this.

We need more clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT;

CottonWolf posted:

She stabbed him through the heart with her nose. Try working that one out, detectives.

My money's on the Yakuza though. Is a dick, dislikes Togami. Sounds like the kind of thing the tutorial case would throw at you.

I highly doubt Fuyuhiko came all the way from his cabin to kill someone in a party he didn't even want to bother attending. Beyond the fact that he'd basically have to know the whole layout of the cabin to even sneak into it somehow without any of the other 15 people there noticing him and then bring a weapon along with him, other than the other 30 weapons Togami already had on himself. Doubled with the fact he needs an accomplice and the only person who apparently relays information to him is Peko, who we've seen little more than cold indifference from the entire game when it comes to talking about anything.

What I'm saying is for it to be Fuyuhiko already would be bad writing. He's not involved with this, maybe later when he gets more involved with the group, but right now no. The only way it could be him is if he's the guy in the bathroom or that's Monobear. I wouldn't really put money on who it could be yet, as the most we know is everyone was in the room aside from Peko and Chiaki when the lights went out and Togami's body is still in the room. So it's one of the 12 people in the room that killed him.

• Locked thread