Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

RCarr posted:

I'm glad this is on Xbox, because I'll not be bothered to buy a $1000+ piece of hardware to play games on. It's so relieving.

Pretty sure this hasnt been the case in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm just giving the other sides perspective. Not everyone has a computer (especially one that can play new games). I understand why you'd be upset, but a computer is a lot more expensive than an Xbox.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

RCarr posted:

I'm just giving the other sides perspective. Not everyone has a computer (especially one that can play new games). I understand why you'd be upset, but a computer is a lot more expensive than an Xbox.

A computer isn't very expensive to someone that already has one.

Wanting this to come out on a platform you own rather than one you don't seems pretty reasonable, no? Platform exclusivity is such loving bullshit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you play a lot of games you save money by playing on the PC because games are so cheap that people accidentally create backlogs of literally hundreds of games.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, and also people buying even a mid-price laptop/pc for work/home use will probably have a video card that is good enough to play xbox360/ps3 era games. Everyone needs some type of computer nowadays and more likely than not you will probably be spending enough for something decent enough to run at least windows 7. I guess you could pull a laptop out of the garbage and save your money for a PS4, but its probably more sensible to get a computer that can do both. Also, I have no idea who are the people who are shelling out for consoles/console games (with internet access), don't even have a computer.... I don't think they exist.

(I got a laptop for $450 that can run most games at higher settings than my xbox360)

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Eurogamer showed you can get better performance than a current gen console on a PC for around £300 / $460 (though probably less in the US because that figures in VAT etc) if you build it yourself and that was over six months ago so it may well be even cheaper now: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

You would have to plug it into your TV rather than a monitor but thats no different to a console and they don't include the price of an OS (You could go Linux but theres very little chance Destiny will work on that though other games would). Nonetheless a computer that could theoretically run Destiny would not be much more expensive than a console and you can do lots of other stuff on a computer to boot.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Have they said definitively it won't be on the PC? Seems a pretty odd exception, given it's available for both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're being careful about saying exactly which platforms it'll be on because they can't mention the next-generation consoles too early. All we have to go on is that ridiculous quote about how no one plays pre-Halo FPSes these days and a few damage-control articles where Bungie people refused to undeniably rule out a PC version.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Aertuun posted:

Have they said definitively it won't be on the PC? Seems a pretty odd exception, given it's available for both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Someone asked the COO on the press day and he was generally positive towards the idea being a possibility but multiple outlets have emphasised that Bungie consistently referred to console shooters and making a console shooter throughout the day. Plus theres the Jason Jones quote brouhaha.

So it isn't confirmed and it may happen but it doesn't look especially positive either.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Anyone else suspect Bungie will be on-hand during today's PS4 announcement to say they'll be releasing there, too?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Funkmaster General posted:

Anyone else suspect Bungie will be on-hand during today's PS4 announcement to say they'll be releasing there, too?

I hope so.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Watch Dogs, God of War, Destiny and Beyond developers amassing in NYC in time for PlayStation 2013 Meeting

Don't know if they'll present but they will be there apparently.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The whole vibe from the PS4 launch is really reinforcing the idea that Bungie would have shown more but couldn't, in my mind. They are going on and on and ON about social gaming, interacting with friends, having friends play with you, and they've so far mentioned having phones/tablets/etc interact with the PS4 and your games, which was strongly hinted at in the little vidblogthing that we got at the Destiny launch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJkiwDeWqQ

This game is already Marty O'Donnell As Hell.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

They showed some in-game footage, supposedly running on the PS4, but I'm still not sure what the game is going to look like when I'm playing it. There was no HUD of any sort, for example.

I also wasn't expecting the "exclusive content on Playstation" thing or a concurrent PS4/PS3 launch.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Funkmaster General posted:

I also wasn't expecting the "exclusive content on Playstation" thing or a concurrent PS4/PS3 launch.

You've got to assume 360/720 will have different exclusive content.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

VJeff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJkiwDeWqQ

This game is already Marty O'Donnell As Hell.

At this point I'm just as excited for the soundtrack.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You've got to assume 360/720 will have different exclusive content.

There isn't any particular reason to assume Bungie can't play favorites - if Sony's analysts are saying that getting Bungie to favor the PS3/4 over other platforms will move more consoles to people who are not currently consumers, then Sony has all the right and business sense in the world to make a deal that would do that. Activision and Bungie would only gain from such an arrangement, since they wouldn't have to do an exclusivity deal on the whole game.

Sony is launching a new console, they want to hit as wide an audience as they can possibly target, so when people hear everyone say "that new Halo game is better on PS4" they just might jump ships.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'd have to imagine that when Microsoft reveals their own new console, they'll also have Bungie in. And at that point, there'll probably be more to actually show. I could definitely see exclusives on both sides of the board, too. Bungie's the kind of company that would try to do something like include an exotic helmet that looks like Mark V or an exotic weapon that mimics the AR or BR from Halo, and that would be a no-brainer for Microsoft-exclusive content. It's hard to really judge anything based on this announcement because "content" could mean anything from one piece of cosmetic gear to a whole planet/zone or a DLC exclusivity deal or something.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

dishwasherlove posted:

At this point I'm just as excited for the soundtrack.

Seriously, I love that music. :swoon:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Here's the announcement trailer for the PS4 version. A few new gameplay clips.

http://youtu.be/6kJkiwDeWqQ

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
An MMO with Halo's combat puzzle is a tasty treat for all.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
GDC Keynote starts in < 10 minutes.

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=bungies-brave-new-world-20130328

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Tiger Man.

Tiger Man...

...was wise.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
And had a :krad: tie.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
The whole thing was :krad: "That's his soul ripping out of his body"

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is there any gameplay footage in there? I'm hopping around listening to stuff and wanna know if there's anything in particular I should look at.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are a lot of concept art slides, a video of someone using the editor to build a moonbase, and some characters and animation loops we haven't seen before, but no gameplay.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is there any gameplay footage in there? I'm hopping around listening to stuff and wanna know if there's anything in particular I should look at.

It's GDC not E3 so no. E3 is a few months away though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tiger Man was noble.

Tiger man was wise.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

This is all sounding quite a lot like the very early Halo hype (pre-Microsoft) so I'm expecting they'll deliver deliver something far less ambitious and more conventional in the end. I'm sure it will be fun nonetheless, but as the great poet once said "Don't believe the hype".

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Glimpse posted:

This is all sounding quite a lot like the very early Halo hype (pre-Microsoft) so I'm expecting they'll deliver deliver something far less ambitious and more conventional in the end. I'm sure it will be fun nonetheless, but as the great poet once said "Don't believe the hype".

In an incredible reversal, Destiny will be released as a Mac-only RTS.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Steve Ballmer wont keep his anger as quiet as Steve Jobs did.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That explains why they're being so cagey about a PC release. :heysexy:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tangentially related to Destiny: We have just released our Mac OS X port of Pathways Into Darkness, Bungie's 19+ year old first person adventure game.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

haveblue posted:

Tangentially related to Destiny: We have just released our Mac OS X port of Pathways Into Darkness, Bungie's 19+ year old first person adventure game.

If you're on the fence about getting this have a read of this great LP: http://lparchive.org/Pathways-Into-Darkness/

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
There's a little more information in this article, but it sounds like we'll be hearing many more specifics come E3 (as predicted).

X360 Magazine posted:

Destiny: Bungie Opens The Floodgates On Its ‘Shared World Shooter’

Destiny is possibly the most ambitious game currently in development. We caught up with Bungie’s Joseph Staten to talk scope, multiplayer, next-gen and the importance of the player.

How far along is development on Destiny?

Well, I’m playing it every day at my desk; we’re deep into it and the great thing about the game right now is that you only really learn how the game works when it’s up on its feet and playable.

And Destiny is a pretty complicated game, it’s got an investment system and persistent characters, a big social shared world, so having it playable for real with all the systems running is a pretty big accomplishment and we’re learning a lot.

This is exactly where you want to be as designers, playing it every day with our friends at our desks, seeing what’s broken and fixing it. We’re definitely there now, that’s for sure.

It seems like you’ve had trouble actually defining what Destiny is?

It’s only been in the last six months that we’ve been able to play [Destiny] with everything running.

For a while we could play parts of the game; we could play the action shooter, the same old sandbox shooter that Bungie’s made and loved and does well. We’ve been able to play that for a while.

We could play, separate from that, our investment systems in a mock way, where we could just play through it in Excel tables with drops and loot and see how that part of the game played, but we hadn’t smashed them together yet.

We could play parts of our big open world, broken up into sections that import into our engine, but as our engine became more robust we could import large swathes of our world.

It’s been in the last six months that we’ve taken these things, that have been up and running separately, and got them all working in concert. During that time when [Destiny] was in bits and pieces, I think it was challenging for us to explain to Activision, even people on our team, what the game is going to be.

We can talk about it, we could have you read words, and walk through it in animated storyboards and sequences and say ‘this is what it’s going to feel like’.

But it was all a little bit on paper, it wasn’t in your hands and playable.

So, it’s been a challenge to describe what exactly it is. The important thing to remember about [Destiny] is that first and foremost it’s a Bungie game and those are the games we make and love.

You’re in a big world that’s populated by other players, a living world where things happen even if you’re not there.

It feels real, it’s got time of day, big open environments, it has social places where you can gather and it’s got a persistent character, someone you grow over time.

You’re going to choose who you are in this world and every decision you make influences how you look or how you fight. It definitely has properties of what you’d associate with MMOs, but it is at its heart an action game.

A Bungie shooter, but it has all these other great, great things added to it, which we think really think makes it a revolutionary experience in the shooter space.

Innovating in the FPS genre seems to be the bottom line for Bungie and Destiny?

Absolutely, I think Jason [Jones] said it well.

When you’ve got a studio that is this size and with this amount of talented people here, what do you want to point it at, what’s the big challenge you want to tackle?

Certainly, we could make standard shooters, we’ve done that and know how to do it, it’s a genre that we love, but we wanted to look into the future and think hard about what’s the future of action games?

Are they going to continue to be largely solitary, linear narratives that feel a lot like a Hollywood blockbuster or are they going to be something different?

What can we do that makes them better and enriches the experience? And we thought a lot about our co-op history. Bungie games have always been highly co-operative if you want it and we wanted to really expand that.

Could we really make a world that’s not just shared with two or three other people on your couch, but could we make it shared with dozens, hundreds of other people? Is that experience possible, is it fun?

And for a long time we thought ‘well, we could do these innovations, but is it going to result in a better game?’ And what’s really great now, as we play the game at our desks every day, we really see that paying off. The investment is worth it.

When you run into someone in the big wide world you weren’t expecting and in the shared spaces you collide for a little while, overcome an obstacle, get rewarded for it and move on, it’s a really transformative experience.

It makes you think of shooters in a totally new way. We wanted to push, not just what we’re good at, but what we think the genre can become, too.

But what about traditional storytelling, cutscenes and characters?

Sure, we talked about that when we first showed the game, but we think about the story as books.

In the straight-up campaign part of the game you’ll absolutely be experiencing stories that have a strong narrative spine, that have a beginning middle and an end.

There’ll be a cast of core characters that, like you, evolve over time.

We absolutely are going to tell good narrative stories and linear stories, but those are just part of what you can engage in with Destiny’s world.

We think of those as our ‘marquee content’ that gets you excited about the world and draws you in, but after that there’s a great deal more to be had in Destiny.

Does that mean players can expect to have the same character for the ten years that Destiny is planned for?

Well, the only thing we’re saying right now is that this is you character in the world of Destiny.

For as long as that world exists you can be that person, we really want it to be in a situation that, yeah, the decisions that you make early on in the game, they matter and they stick with you and you really grow your character over time. That’s extremely important to us.

As much as we enjoyed switching back and forth between protagonists sometimes from the Master Chief to the Arbiter, an ODST, we’re even more excited about this world where you can be a real person.

You can make interesting choices and you can stick with this character over time.

You know it’s really important when you’re in a social shared world to have an identity that people recognise, that people can remember.

And not just for your friends, but for the people you meet out in the world. ‘Oh, that’s that Hunter with that crazy cloak and that amazing spaceship.

Is that a holographic sight on his sniper rifle, that’s crazy, where did he find that stuff? Who is that guy? I’ve seen him before, I’ve matched with him in public places, I see him in the city sometimes.’

You really are going to be identified by the choices you make, so it’s really important that your character sticks around for a long time.

Is it true that players will get their hands on spaceships, will there be space combat?

Well the only thing we’re sure of right now is that the spaceship is a thing that’s going to take you from place to place. Like other things that belong to you, you are going to be able to personalise it.

You’ll certainly have some choice over which ship you have. It’s another thing like your weapons or your armour that makes you you in the world of Destiny.

Will you also present the social action in a third-person style instead of first-person?

The stuff we’ve shown in the city there has been a third-person camera. I think it’s safe to assume once you’re in a social space combat is less important so it might make sense to break out to a camera that’s a little bit more social.

In the social spaces you want to see and be seen, like walking down the carpet at the Hollywood academy awards.

When you walk into a social space you want top present yourself and it’s fun of course to see how you look as well.

Yeah, absolutely, when you’re in the city and the Tower, combat isn’t a priority, it’s interacting with other players.

Will Destiny include competitive multiplayer?

Destiny is built on a strong foundation of co-op and competitive play and it’s a Bungie game. We love competition, we love that part of the gamer.

We’re not talking about that part of Destiny yet, but you should assume that it’s a Bungie game and we love competitive multiplayer, if you love that then you’ll love Destiny, too.

Some of Destiny’s innovations – persistent characters, upgrades – were used in Halo 4, what did you think of it?

We of course look at all kinds of games from Halo 4 to Call Of Duty and certainly more MMO games or RPGs where character customistion is an even bigger part.

I think for us and the shooter space, we saw that there was some experimentation with customistation, but the big thing about customisation in most games is that it’s really siloed by activity.

You have a character for the campaign and you have another character for competitive multiplayer.

In Destiny, your character is your character. No matter where you go in the story or the co-operative activities or competitive multiplayer, you will always have that character and it will persist from one mode to another.

That is the big difference when it comes to character customisation in Destiny. You are you no matter where you go in the world.

Will there be any differences between the current-gen and next-gen versions of Destiny?

Anytime you get your hands on new hardware you’re going to try and take advantage of everything it has to offer.

I know coming up at E3 we’ll be talking more about the specific features, but just like with any hardware leap, absolutely, we’re going to push this game as far it can be pushed on whatever platform.

It’s going to look great on PS3, it’ll look awesome on 360 and it’ll look great on PS4 as well. You can bet that no matter where we are, we’re going to make the game look great.

Is there still ’30 seconds of fun’?

This is a Bungie sandbox action game, from moment-to-moment the choices that you make in combat are still just as important as it’s ever been.

If you love that fast cycle, sandbox gameplay that Bungie is known for you’re going to love this game. We’re tuning all the weapons and the combatants to make that a great 30 seconds of fun experience over and over again.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I just don't understand why ever game needs to be a godamned shooter. Look at this amazing, expansive science-fiction universe we've designed, built, and populated! What's that, you'd love some kind of sandboxy Metroid style game, or maybe even something more like an action adventure with a mixture of exploration, combat, and fighting?

Nope yer gonna shoot guys. And then you'll get XP/money/unlocks so you can shoot guys better. And then you'll shoot some guys.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
To be fair Bungie has been primarily known for shooters since the early 90s and that's clearly what they like to make. If they shouldn't be making shooters, who should?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

To be fair Bungie has been primarily known for shooters since the early 90s and that's clearly what they like to make. If they shouldn't be making shooters, who should?

Yeah, this feels less like "Everything must be shooters!" and more like "We don't know how to make anything but shooters well, and frankly, we like them."

• Locked thread