Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aside from Caesar 3, Europa Universalis Rome, Rome Total War and Alea Jacta Est, are there any Rome-themed games worth checking out?

I hear CivCity: Rome can be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone know of any good, relatively simple, point and click adventure games? Preferably something I can find on GoG or Steam? My lady friend doesn't normally play games but she seems to have taken a liking to them. Not usually my genre so I know nothing about what's good/bad.

Any of the Wadjet Eye Games are good. Primordia and Resonance are good ones to start with, but The Blackwell Bundle (a collection of four episodic games) and Gemini Rue are also great games in their own right.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Hey all, I'm looking for western RPGs with turn-based combat.

Not necessarily new, but preferrably post-Arcanum, as I've played and enjoyed among others: the original Fallouts, Arcanum, the early Ultimas, most of Spiderweb Software's offerings, Eschalon 1&2 and Jagged Alliance 1&2. Turn-based combat is an absolute must.

I've also played a lot of 'turn based strategy with RPG elements' such as the Age of Wonders- and HoMM series, and could go for something along those lines. Not really looking for roguelikes (I like Crawl but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment). Oh, also I'm a PC-only guy.

Any ideas?

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 17, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Anachronox seems to fit your description. It's got cyberpunk and you can get it from GOG for 6 USD. Never played it, so perhaps someone else can shed some light on how fun it is.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 17, 2013

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Anyone know of any good, relatively simple, point and click adventure games? Preferably something I can find on GoG or Steam? My lady friend doesn't normally play games but she seems to have taken a liking to them. Not usually my genre so I know nothing about what's good/bad.

Although more like a visual novel than an adventure, a good one on Steam is Analogue: A Hate Story. I'm sure the Anime style turned a lot of people away from this one (including me at first), but the game has a pretty engrossing story and doesn't require any pixel hunting or strange inventory management. Just you interacting with two other characters to learn what happened in the final days of a doomed society.

Of course, if you want a free preview of a similarly styled game you can always check out some of Christine Love's other freeware games like Digital: A Love Story or "don't take it personally babe, it just ain't your story" can be found on her website here.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

AHungryRobot posted:

Need a good metroidvania.

Played:
All the Metroid games
Both Mega Man ZX games
All the Castlevanias that fit that archetype
Ex Vitro
Kirby's Amazing Mirror

Aliens Infestation is one I haven't played either but I'm really not interested based on what I've learned on it. Shadow Complex looks cool but I'd prefer suggestions that aren't that since I already know that exists.
  • Aquaria
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
  • Outland
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Joramun posted:

• Aquaria
  • Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
  • Outland
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge

All of those look pretty interesting. Thanks.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

iSurrender posted:

Not necessarily new, but preferrably post-Arcanum, as I've played and enjoyed among others: the original Fallouts, Arcanum, the early Ultimas, most of Spiderweb Software's offerings, Eschalon 1&2 and Jagged Alliance 1&2. Turn-based combat is an absolute must.

I've also played a lot of 'turn based strategy with RPG elements' such as the Age of Wonders- and HoMM series, and could go for something along those lines. Not really looking for roguelikes (I like Crawl but it's not what I'm looking for at the moment). Oh, also I'm a PC-only guy.

Any ideas?

If you enjoyed the Jagged Alliance games, you really should check out X-Com, both the old and new versions. There's also Blood Bowl, while there's a strong online community for it, you can always just play against the AI.

And I haven't played the games, so I can't say how good or bad they are, but you might want to check out the King's Bounty games, since they have turn based RPG combat, and at least enough people like them that they've made 4 of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

Metroidvania

Unepic is another one. The endgame is a bit unfun but the rest is alright. Also Bunny Must Die if you want a fairly hard one. Both of those are pretty funny in their own ways.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

iSurrender posted:

Any ideas?

Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight modpack.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

thrakkorzog posted:

If you enjoyed the Jagged Alliance games, you really should check out X-Com, both the old and new versions. There's also Blood Bowl, while there's a strong online community for it, you can always just play against the AI.

And I haven't played the games, so I can't say how good or bad they are, but you might want to check out the King's Bounty games, since they have turn based RPG combat, and at least enough people like them that they've made 4 of them.

Yeah, Ive got the new X-Com and Bloodbowl.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alea Jacta Est

Not heard of this before, did a quick google, seems interesting, is it any good?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shorter Than Some posted:

Not heard of this before, did a quick google, seems interesting, is it any good?

I don't have this yet myself, but the grognard thread had some pretty good impressions. It's a turn-based strategic-level wargame of raising armies, assigning generals/commanders to them and moving them around Meditteranean provinces. It's supposedly quite historically accurate, but the UI/game mechanics are very newbie-unfriendly so I stayed away.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

iSurrender posted:

Any ideas?

Since you dig the JA series, check out Wizardry 8. It's made by the same people and has a bunch of overlap in terms of "feel" and voice acting. It's also a masterpiece of western RPGs.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Okay, Alpha Protocol is awesome so far. Thanks for recommending it. I'm finding that I need to spice up my variety a bit though.

Can anyone recommend a decent shooter that I can play for 5-10 minutes at a time? Preferably a FPS of some sort, that isn't $50. Good shooty action that is easy to hop and in out of is key though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SquadronROE posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent shooter that I can play for 5-10 minutes at a time? Preferably a FPS of some sort, that isn't $50. Good shooty action that is easy to hop and in out of is key though.

Singleplayer or multiplayer?
If you want multiplayer, TF2 and CS:GO are pretty good for just jumping in and out of quickly, CS:GO even has two game modes (Arms Race and Demolition) where rounds don't last too long and which are pretty much perfect for this.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

Singleplayer or multiplayer?
If you want multiplayer, TF2 and CS:GO are pretty good for just jumping in and out of quickly, CS:GO even has two game modes (Arms Race and Demolition) where rounds don't last too long and which are pretty much perfect for this.

Multiplayer. Is TF2 still easy to get into? I haven't played it much since they introduced hats and crafting, but it was a ton of fun way back then. I might give CS:GO a go too, I've got CS: Source but it doesn't really scratch the itch very well. Showing its age.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

SquadronROE posted:

The Valentine's Bundle 2.0 has Serious Sam 3:BFE for sale for $6 (comes with other games, too).

^^^^^ Dammit, multiplayer.

You can also hit up Savage 2: The Tortured Soul for hybrid RPG/RPS/RTS competitive multiplayer action. And it's free-to-play.

There's always Tribes: Ascend, too. Rounds last about 20 minutes max. Also free-to-play.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

SquadronROE posted:

Multiplayer. Is TF2 still easy to get into? I haven't played it much since they introduced hats and crafting, but it was a ton of fun way back then. I might give CS:GO a go too, I've got CS: Source but it doesn't really scratch the itch very well. Showing its age.

TF2 absolutely is still easy to get into.
They have added a shitload of new items (as in guns and stuff, not just cosmetic hats) since they introduced crafting, but the vast majority of that are mostly sidegrades or things that fill niche roles if you want to play certain classes in very specific ways, the default loadouts and guns work absolutely fine for the vast majority of play.

CS:GO is pretty much a straight upgrade from Source and the new game modes might be right up your alley, though the basic gunplay is still old-school CS, which is either a hit or miss thing (:downsrim:) for most people, but if you don't mind that, the new gameplay modes certainly make the game a lot more casual, with faster rounds and less downtime if you die.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Cool. Sounds like GO is right up my alley then, as the biggest complaint I had was that the only type of game people played required sitting out for long periods of time when I inevitably died.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Douche Bag posted:

The two Monkey Island games? They're generally considered amongst the best adventure games made.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any good games out there that are a mix of Persona 4's fusion/persona element and XCOM's turn based combat?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Douche Bag posted:

Anything LucasArts, particularly the Monkey Island series.
You can follow that up with the TellTale Monkey Island games which are a bit newer, and good, but not as good as the originals.
As mentioned, the Wadjet eye games are good stories, but they rely on a lot of nostalgia factor too I think so someone who didn't grow up on the LucasArts and Sierra stuff might not fall as immediately in love, but after playing a few of them the old pixel style probably wouldn't be as jarring.
Book of Unwritten Tales is a relatively recent one (and on sale in the steam linux sale right now!) with decent story, decent (although a bit clunky if you nitpick) graphics, and (so far, at least) no ridiculously confusing "adventure game logic", so it's probably worth a look.
[edit] Ooh and Longest Journey is really good, with a strong female protagonist at that, but some of the puzzles have some stupid "adventure game logic" flaws.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ModeSix posted:

So I am looking for a building/management sim type game.

I love games like:
Sim City
Sim Tower
Tropico
Airway Sim (very deeply involved game where you manage an airline - not interest in Airline Tycoon series, hate it)
Towns (even though it's an unfinished pile of poo poo, the concept is there)
OpenTTD
SuperPower 2 (loved this, can't find my disc - geopolitical sim)

Upcoming games I have pre-ordered/funded:

Star Citizen
Planetary Annihilation
Starship Corporation

Basically I want something that is a building game (not like Minecraft), or a company management/logistics sim. I really like games that allow me to be creative in a sandboxy type environment.

I really like getting into the details. Multiplayer is a bonus.

If you liked Towns in its unfinished state, you'll love Gnomoria. Don't be put off by the fact its still in beta, the game is way more polished than Towns at this point, and the developer is really active. He kinda slowed down for the holiday season, but we usually get an update to the game every week or two, and bugs rarely (ever?) last for more than one update cycle.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Mordiceius posted:

Are there any good games out there that are a mix of Persona 4's fusion/persona element and XCOM's turn based combat?
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor is as close as you're gonna get I think.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

daveftw posted:

If you liked Towns in its unfinished state, you'll love Gnomoria. Don't be put off by the fact its still in beta, the game is way more polished than Towns at this point, and the developer is really active. He kinda slowed down for the holiday season, but we usually get an update to the game every week or two, and bugs rarely (ever?) last for more than one update cycle.

Seconding the Gnomoria recommendation. The game is still in the midst of some balancing and feature addition so be prepared for some wonky balancing stuff though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I love SimFarm an unhealthy amount. Farming Simulator is pretty terrible. Are there any other awesome farming games out there?

Also, how about polished digital versions of board games? Ticket to Ride is very well done, any others out there?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Forgedbow posted:

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor is as close as you're gonna get I think.

Devil Survivor 2, specifically. It has elements of P4's social system with a combat system similar to most strategy jrpg's.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Devil Survivor 2, specifically. It has elements of P4's social system with a combat system similar to most strategy jrpg's.

Well gently caress me for not having a DS.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

I love SimFarm an unhealthy amount. Farming Simulator is pretty terrible. Are there any other awesome farming games out there?

Also, how about polished digital versions of board games? Ticket to Ride is very well done, any others out there?

I don't know about Farming Simulators outside of Harvest Moon, but somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for.

However, Catan on XBLA is a good digital version of the popular "Settlers of Catan" board game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mafia or Western PC games.

Alternatively: "The PC Markets reply to Red Dead Redemption."

Omerta is a LOT of fun, and I like the voice acting.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turtlicious posted:

Mafia or Western PC games.

Alternatively: "The PC Markets reply to Red Dead Redemption."

Omerta is a LOT of fun, and I like the voice acting.

Gun is the closest you'll get to RDR on the PC at this point.
It's a few years old so it's not that pretty looking these days and it's really short.
But, it's fun while it lasts.

You also have Call of Juarez & Bound in Blood but they're both linear FPSes.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

Aside from Caesar 3, Europa Universalis Rome, Rome Total War and Alea Jacta Est, are there any Rome-themed games worth checking out?

Imperium Romanum and it's sequel Grand Ages: Rome. Both fairly average city builders with some neat ideas.

Speaking of which, I got Caesar 3 from GOG and booted it up again for old times sake. Before I knew it I had several hours logged and a sprawling metropolis in Mediolanum. Such a great game.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

iSurrender posted:

Any ideas?
Might be a bit of an obvious suggestion, but have you played Silent Storm? It's basically of the same "turn-based squad tactics" genre as Jagged Alliance. Set in a very cartoony WW2 with some goofy Nazi Super Science thrown in. It also has a half-expansion half-sequel thing, Silent Storm: Sentinels, that takes place just after the war and has some slight changes to the gameplay mechanics. They're bundled together on GOG for ten bucks. Absolutely among the best games in the genre.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Laughing_Stock posted:

I don't know about Farming Simulators outside of Harvest Moon, but somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for.

However, Catan on XBLA is a good digital version of the popular "Settlers of Catan" board game.

I do love me some Settlers. playcatan.com isn't too bad when I'm at work.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Ok so the wife and I gave Neverwinter Nights a shot. Too technical for her tastes. She wanted to play a more "Left-click/Right-click" functional action RPG. More Sacred/Diablo II-like.

Tried Torchlight/Torchlight II, but the requirements were too high for her laptop. Tried Sacred, but it's a bitch to get running on Win7. Nox doesn't have a co-op campaign, per se.

Any other ideas? I was thinking Icewind Dale, but I've never played it and I'm unaware of how detailed/complicated it is.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Ok so the wife and I gave Neverwinter Nights a shot. Too technical for her tastes. She wanted to play a more "Left-click/Right-click" functional action RPG. More Sacred/Diablo II-like.

Tried Torchlight/Torchlight II, but the requirements were too high for her laptop. Tried Sacred, but it's a bitch to get running on Win7. Nox doesn't have a co-op campaign, per se.

Any other ideas? I was thinking Icewind Dale, but I've never played it and I'm unaware of how detailed/complicated it is.

Best Diablo 2 vintage clone is Titan Quest.

IWD is pretty hardcore - probly not her cup of tea.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
At least as detailed and complicated as Neverwinter Nights, in my opinion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Path of Exile is a very blatant Diablo II clone and a pretty good one, but I don't recall if its system requirements would be too steep for your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What is the definitive puzzle bobble/bust a move experience? Other than arcade cabinets, if it's an arcade cabinet.