Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

You can't post these without the story...

From reddit:
So I work in the office and take photos for a shop. One day, this Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in saying that they heard a noise on the highway, then the brakes failed. Once we got the car to the shop via tow truck, a simple look underneath the car shows us what happened:
•The transfer case exploded. Half of it didn't come with the car.
•Shrapnel from the transfer case explosion caused nearby hard lines to sever or kink, and it also caused a fair bit of damage to the underbody.
•To make matters worse, the driveshaft picked up part of the severed hard line (which went to -- you guessed it -- the brakes) and everything ended up as one giant pretzel.
Suffice to say, it cost more than finding and fixing a brake fluid leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

chrisgt posted:

You can't post these without the story...

From reddit:
So I work in the office and take photos for a shop. One day, this Jeep Grand Cherokee comes in saying that they heard a noise on the highway, then the brakes failed. Once we got the car to the shop via tow truck, a simple look underneath the car shows us what happened:
•The transfer case exploded. Half of it didn't come with the car.
•Shrapnel from the transfer case explosion caused nearby hard lines to sever or kink, and it also caused a fair bit of damage to the underbody.
•To make matters worse, the driveshaft picked up part of the severed hard line (which went to -- you guessed it -- the brakes) and everything ended up as one giant pretzel.
Suffice to say, it cost more than finding and fixing a brake fluid leak.

One does not simply "explode" a Jeep transfer case quite like that, what in the hell :stare:

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Geirskogul posted:

Either way, I think a loving oven destroying your engine on the freeway is up there with "log falling off of a logging truck and careening through the windshield" on my pant-making GBS threads list. Not quite as high, but very close.

I feel like AI should be smarter than this. If the car hit the oven with enough force to displace the core support and cause major suspension damage, do you guys think the oven would still be square?

The car is junk. It's going to the scrap heap, and they put the oven in there because it's junk too and it's going to the same scrap heap. I've done the same thing before (put an old barbecue in a Miata tub).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Savington posted:

If the car hit the oven with enough force to displace the core support and cause major suspension damage, do you guys think the oven would still be square?

Oven square? How about the dead giveaway intact windshield?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

Oven square? How about the dead giveaway intact windshield?

Haha, I post a pic with no explanation, and everyone jumps to a conclusion. The truck and range are being junked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Beach Bum posted:

One does not simply "explode" a Jeep transfer case quite like that, what in the hell :stare:

I bet it was in 4hi above the speed restriction and on dry pavement.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Godholio posted:

I bet it was in 4hi above the speed restriction and on dry pavement.

I think they also do that when run low on fluid for extended time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Haha, I post a pic with no explanation, and everyone jumps to a conclusion. The truck and range are being junked.

I thought it was pretty obvious that's what's going on. I suppose not based on the discussion.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Horrible structural idea!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

White trucks can't dunk.

I'm so sorry

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 20, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
If the seats are out, that probably doesn't weigh much. I'd worry about wind, though. :ohdear:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Previa_fun posted:

White trucks can't dunk.

I'm so sorry
Ooh! Ooh! I got one!

That's a real... hoopty ride... :smugdog:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Previa_fun posted:

White trucks can't dunk.

I'm so sorry

No no, I think that was quite acceptable.

Who the gently caress in their right mind thinks that is a good idea?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DJ Commie posted:

I think they also do that when run low on fluid for extended time.

Mine didn't, but I was at least smart enough to stop driving it when it started popping and jerking as I drove due to the shift mode fork pads melting, the mode collar grinding into the fork, and the teeth no longer making full contact with the mainshaft and chain sprocket. If I'd driven it for much longer it probably would have ended up like that one.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

No no, I think that was quite acceptable.

Who the gently caress in their right mind thinks that is a good idea?

the kind of loving retard that starts an "offroad truck build" by getting the body 6 feet in the air on a stack of home improvement products. You KNOW a massive set of tractor tires, deuce axles, leaf springs the shape of barrel hoops, and tractor link heims are going under that turd. And it'll still have about 2-3 feet of clearance under the body due to the farmyard-fuckstick-fabricated suspension mount setup and drop transfer case.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

the kind of loving retard that starts an "offroad truck build" by getting the body 6 feet in the air on a stack of home improvement products. You KNOW a massive set of tractor tires, deuce axles, leaf springs the shape of barrel hoops, and tractor link heims are going under that turd. And it'll still have about 2-3 feet of clearance under the body due to the farmyard-fuckstick-fabricated suspension mount setup and drop transfer case.

Again, its a horrible idea. I often see these bro trucks with huge lifts and other gently caress off poo poo that still don't have poo poo for axle clearance.

Though its is funny to see them in the ditch on the snowy days. All that ground clearance in the world doesn't mean poo poo if you cant flex the axles.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

No joke he probably just had to do some major work on the engine such as the headgaskets or something. Not that that is a safe way to remove the cab but it does have to be removed for certain types of engine work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
E: aaand beaten

They probably (hopefully) have the body pulled off because it's literally the only way to do any sort of meaningful work on Ford's diesel engines, but the method is still very poorly executed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
oh I'm an idiot and didn't notice it was a late model Ford and that the frame was still on the ground.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

At least they stacked the cinder blocks properly.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Meh, I'm okay with it. With no engine, and possibly removal of seats and other interior bits, the cab can't weigh too much. You guys are such pansies sometimes ;)

Sure, it could be safer, but they could also be paying some shop to do all the work for 'em. I appreciate the go-getter attitude! I'm willing to be some of the stuff that I've done is way scarier. Remind me to tell you guys about the time I lit a running Maverick on fire in the parking garage of my apartment complex...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm not so much worried about the cinder blocks (at least they stacked them vertically so they won't crumble, and did 16x16 squares properly interlocked instead of stacking up a single pillar of blocks on each side) - I'm worried about those beams. Probably fine, though.

I mostly started ranting about it because every other time I've seen that kind of stack under a truck, the next few pictures were pure :banjo: "mud truck" fabrication that made me want to move to another planet. I didn't notice the frame/drivetrain were still on the ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I mostly started ranting about it because every other time I've seen that kind of stack under a truck, the next few pictures were pure :banjo: "mud truck" fabrication that made me want to move to another planet. I didn't notice the frame/drivetrain were still on the ground.

Yeah....I saw a newer body style F250/350 and immediately thought engine work.....because that was step 1 on most of the warranty recall procedures on the cursed 6 liter PowerStrokes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The way Ford shoehorned everything into those engine bays "remove body from frame" is pretty much the first step for anything other than adding fluids regardless of what engine it has.

The only really :ohdear: part of that whole setup is the front being supported by a haphazardly placed 2x6.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How did they even get it on there? With a forklift?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I don't see the point of stacking it up that far, why not just set it on the ground nearby, stacked on a few pieces of wood to not gently caress up the paint :psyduck:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm going to guess they didn't have enough people to manhandle it off the frame and carry it away. You could probably do what they did with 2-3 people, you'd need twice as many to move it around.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What is the point of setting the cab on the ground when you have to get it that high anyway? If you build the support like that and roll the chassis away, you cut out having to move the cab horizontally while it's 6 feet in the air and having to drop and lift the cab 6 feet vertically.

Salami Surgeon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

How did they even get it on there? With a forklift?

I know how I would have achieved that. They are loose bessabricks. You just lift a corner at a time and slip another row in. Pretty much how I have to get the VW off the ground because none of my jacks are tall enough on their own. Except I to use a jack for lifting still because it's too heavy otherwise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

The way Ford shoehorned everything into those engine bays "remove body from frame" is pretty much the first step for anything other than adding fluids regardless of what engine it has.

They started this in 96 with the new body style F150s. Mine was a '97 and it was a multi-hour procedure to do something simple like change the plugs. 15 minutes to do the frontmost 6, the rest of the time cursing, busting knuckles and making extension/wobble/u-joint contraptions. Whoever thought wrapping the back 1/3 of the motor with the firewall......well, let's say I'd like to get my hands on them and share the pain.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

General_Failure - Agreed, I would bet on them having lifted one side at a time high enough to get more block under it until it was that high. They did that because they lacked a lift or overhead hoist and didn't feel like paying the pros to do the job.

That cab is NOT light, I would bet at least 1200, probably more like 1500-1600lbs. Why? Because I know for a fact that a truck drivetrain I lifted with my redneck jeep crane setup weighed in around 900-1000 and it picked it up easily and trundled around the yard with it no problem. The single cab off the same 94 dodge 2500 with the doors and front fenders + radiator support removed? I only got it about 10" off the ground before I ran out of suspension travel and chain on the hoist, and the rear wheels of the jeep came off the ground every time I let the clutch out in reverse or tapped the brakes going forward. And that Ford cab is a 4 door, complete, and a decade newer, with all the NVH, rollover safety, and airbag/crash safety equipment that entails.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 21, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

What is the point of setting the cab on the ground when you have to get it that high anyway? If you build the support like that and roll the chassis away, you cut out having to move the cab horizontally while it's 6 feet in the air and having to drop and lift the cab 6 feet vertically.

If you have the materials necessary to support it 6+ feet in the air on hand already, sure. Otherwise I'd rather spend $20 on a case of beer and have 4-5 friends give me a hand lifting it off the frame and carrying it aside over $150+ on a large pile of one time use construction materials.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

If you have the materials necessary to support it 6+ feet in the air on hand already, sure. Otherwise I'd rather spend $20 on a case of beer and have 4-5 friends give me a hand lifting it off the frame and carrying it aside over $150+ on a large pile of one time use construction materials.

You are assuming there aren't any houses under construction nearby or that the truck owner isn't a builder.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Geoj posted:

that's cool and all but if you look at the picture closely (as I didn't at first), you can see that that's about as low as you can go with the cab and still be able to get the frame with drivetrain installed out from under it.

There is a reason for what they did.

Also, the whole "cab weighs at least 1200-1600lbs" thing means you better have a lot of loving strong dudes for friends, or just do what they did. That's a minimum of 200lbs per friend if my low end guess is right, I don't think most people want to try and lift 200lbs of cab off a frame and get it that far up, in synch, then walk it away from the frame, in synch, all the while risking dropping it and doing four figures in damage to the bodywork.

Oh, and here is that shift fork I complained about a while ago, crossposted from my thread:

Transfer cases like to run better with fluid in them. Who knew :suicide:

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 21, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

The only really :ohdear: part of that whole setup is the front being supported by a haphazardly placed 2x6.

That's not support, just a tip precaution. Real shops put a tall (and almost as flimsy) jack under each end of your car after the lift is up for the same reason. It doesn't support much weight, but it doesn't have to; just enough to stop a slowly tipping load in case you wrench too hard or similar.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Someone should have told that guy the first step in fixing the 6.0 involves buying a gallon of gas and a pack of matches.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
He might be well aware, some cultures use stone platforms and stacked wood for funeral pyres. Let's compare:

Stone platform? Check. Stacked wood? Check. Got a light? :v:

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
Saw this while looking at some mining vehicle carnage. Makes me cringe.

No info other then a shoddy Chinese tire.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Dradien posted:

Saw this while looking at some mining vehicle carnage. Makes me cringe.

No info other then a shoddy Chinese tire.

Holy poo poo, I wouldn't want to get within half a mile of that thing. Regular car tires are scary enough when they explode, that's god drat terrifying.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

chrisgt posted:

Holy poo poo, I wouldn't want to get within half a mile of that thing. Regular car tires are scary enough when they explode, that's god drat terrifying.

Am I stupid for thinking the best solution there is to get everyone a few miles away from it and have one person shoot at it from really really far away and behind something? The idea of that exploding makes me want to be in a different county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DoesNotCompute posted:

Am I stupid for thinking the best solution there is to get everyone a few miles away from it and have one person shoot at it from really really far away and behind something? The idea of that exploding makes me want to be in a different county.

The first solution I thought of involved .308 and a scope as well.

gently caress everything about being within 500 yards of that thing.