Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Since I've had a few people tell me to make a thread about these guys, here it is: meet Tycho and Refurb!

Such enthusiasm.

Tycho is a 2-year-old corgi mix that I found at the local humane society about a year ago. Stumpy legs and huge freakin' head. Fraction mentioned that he looks like he's part JRT as well, I think I have to agree.

He's incredibly friendly, quiet and almost never barks. I had him for about 6 months before I decided that I would get a cat. Tycho had been around a couple of other cats that used to live with me before and had no problems, so I hoped that he wouldn't fight with a cat too much.

Back at the end of September, FISHMANPET over in the YOSPOS cat thread posted this picture of a tripod kitten:

along with a video of her bouncing around like crazy after a toy. She was at a shelter about 20 miles away, so I figured I should go give her a visit.

It turns out that she'd been trampled by a horse when she was about a month old and was brought in to the shelter with her leg completely twisted around. They were forced to amputate the entire leg. I met her three weeks after the surgery, amazingly well recovered and energetic.

Yep, there's your problem.

I christened her Refurb and brought her home that night. After a week of isolation in the master bedroom/bathroom, she was ready to meet Tycho.

He didn't quite get what she was. But, neither was hostile towards the other, so that was a good sign.

A week later, she'd taken over the dog bed. He didn't mind, though.

Refurb really likes cameras. Really, really likes cameras.

There's so many more of those pictures.

Over the next couple months, the two of them seemed to get used to each other a little more. I was initially worried about something the shelter had mentioned - "prey instinct," where a hobbling or limping animal will appeal to a dog in a predatory way. Tycho started following Refurb around the house a lot. Not hostile, though. Just keeping an eye on her, it seems, whenever she's not in the room with us.

Now, it seems, they're the best of friends.

So, that's Tycho and Refurb - my stumpy land mammals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I hope we will get many more photos about the adventures of your leg deficient pals. :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh lovely, a thread about these two. Didn't know Tycho was from a shelter as well.

Have you got any of the pictures where Refurb is booping Tycho on the nose still? :3:

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Just this one, as far as I can tell

I forgot to post one of my favorites of Refurb:

And I just got home so I figured I'd take a fresh pic of play time

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I just want to say it was really brave of you to adopt a cat that was not only missing one leg but who also apparently can never ever actually close its mouth.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Your cat is the opposite of Tard. He's smiling all of the time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh good, that was my favourite of the nose booping pictures.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
A few gifs

El Gar posted:

I just want to say it was really brave of you to adopt a cat that was not only missing one leg but who also apparently can never ever actually close its mouth.

To be fair, your cat is the opposite of mine - an emotionless and empty shell.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
And a few reasons why the YOSPOS catte thread is one of the greatest things on earth:

:wtc:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

Golden-i posted:

In these her eyes look like they are two different colors, but in all the other ones they both look bright green. That's a strange and adorable cat you have there. And your doggie is adorable too. :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm gonna guess refurb never shuts up? :3: I like that kinda catte.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

I like this. Tycho was obviously day dreaming, gets snapped out of it, but can't be bothered to fully turn around.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Buggiezor posted:

In these her eyes look like they are two different colors, but in all the other ones they both look bright green. That's a strange and adorable cat you have there. And your doggie is adorable too. :3:

Not sure why some of those came out as neon green as they did. This is more like her real eye color:

AtomikKrab posted:

I'm gonna guess refurb never shuts up? :3: I like that kinda catte.

Pretty much this, yep.

Most pictures come out either like that or with a blurry mouth. She's got a very squeaky meow, though, which is really adorable.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Could we get a video to hear this alleged squeaky meow for ourselves?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Sure, here's some squeaky refurb bouncy laser chasing action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzPdnk0Jl8

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Lots of cat pictures so far, here's a dog nose.

I love watching these two interact, it's getting very predictable.

One minute they're chill...

Then it's play Time! FIGHT CLUB :black101:

e - I think that last gif is my favorite of those two so far.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Refurb is so freakin' cute. As a fellow dilute tortie owner, I salute you.

The other day I was browsing imgur for the first time ever and the third thing I clicked on was an album of all of Refurb's meowing pictures. I don't know whose album it was but, I was happy anyway.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

squeee posted:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Refurb is so freakin' cute. As a fellow dilute tortie owner, I salute you.

The other day I was browsing imgur for the first time ever and the third thing I clicked on was an album of all of Refurb's meowing pictures. I don't know whose album it was but, I was happy anyway.

Might have been mine, I submitted an album a month back or so at the request of a friend. Led to this on buzzfeed:

Just to show she's not 100% evil, here's a few more.

Dog kennel claimed.

A comparison of her back in October vs. February:

My, how much she's changed.

I was testing out my new camera and managed to find the setting that captures souls.

:stare:

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 22, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I think this is about the closest we're ever going to get in real life to one of those cartoon fights where there's a giant cloud of dust with occasional heads and limbs popping out of it for a moment at a time.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb doesn't just meow a lot. She yawns a lot, too.

Dem teef.

Golden-i fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2013

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
We just got some fresh snowfall here and I realized that Refurb is too young to have seen snow before... I think you all know what had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9dgvmjxfY

Keelbone
Sep 3, 2011

beyond the sunset leads my way

Golden-i posted:

Sure, here's some squeaky refurb bouncy laser chasing action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXzPdnk0Jl8

That squeak right at the start! :kimchi:

She moves a lot faster then I expected her to.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Golden-i posted:

We just got some fresh snowfall here and I realized that Refurb is too young to have seen snow before... I think you all know what had to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9dgvmjxfY

Yessss.... hurl dat catte into the snow. It for some reason is such fun to see them fwoomp into the soft fluff.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Looks like something is amiss...

Yep. Dog's lovin' it though.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
These two are the opposite of what I'd expect. The dog doesn't like to cuddle at all. He just likes to be near people, like on the couch with me or on the floor by my feet, but if you even just rest your hand on him he'll move away. The cat, on the other hand...

Click for big

Space lap cat.

Tycho got a turtle valentine for V-day. This is him appreciating it, I think.

Click for big

Also, I love how cool cat eyes are.

Click for big

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Is Refurb becoming less noisy with age or are you just able to capture her in those rare moments more often?

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

xcheopis posted:

Is Refurb becoming less noisy with age or are you just able to capture her in those rare moments more often?

She's still noisy. She used to meow like crazy at the green focusing light on my old camera. The new camera, while taking better pictures, does not have a focusing light.

It's not impossible to catch the moments, though.

She's meowing in that last one, it's just hard to see.

Couple random ones:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah, most of the pictures you post in YOSPOS are her being a chatty little beast.

I love watching cats stretch! I also seethe with jealousy.

edit: Tycho is a doof-ball.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Love this. :3: I always try to grab pictures of my cattes stretching their toes, but I always fail. :(

XzeroR3
Nov 16, 2000
Thank you. My cat's leg had one of its rear legs amputated two days ago due to my fuckup, this thread helps.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Sorry to hear that. They recover very impressively, all things considered.

More pictures! Click most of them for bigger versions.

And I think the dog is a masochist or something, he really likes getting his rear end kicked by the cat.

"Will you be my friend?"

WHACK

"Ehuehuehuehe"

And a shot of Refurb losing a fight to an inanimate piece of fluff from a dog toy.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So freaking cool. I've always been amazed at tripod animals, how well they seem to adjust to getting around.

I also couldn't resist doing a thing.

Mighty Amoeba
Jul 10, 2006

I am the mightiest of them all!

That's amazingly terrifying.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
It's been a couple months since I updated this thread, but the "Ideas for the forum" thread has inspired me!

I've got lots of new pictures/gifs of these two! You can click on most of them for larger versions.

Not a Single. gently caress. Given.

Her eyes have gotten super green, much more so than when I first got her.

Bunk beds has become a near daily thing around here.

Careful around Tycho, he's a real ladykiller:

Not Refurb, though. She's all business:

Her business still happens to be meowing. All the drat time.

She still forgets that she's missing that leg :smith:

:unsmith:

And missing leg or not, she's still a cat and will be messed with to an appropriate degree using laser pointers or any other means at my disposal. :colbert:

I'll keep updating this thread with more stuff if people are interested enough.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Golden-i posted:

Bunk beds has become a near daily thing around here.

AHHH. It kills me.

catamar
May 23, 2008

Golden-i posted:

Not a Single. gently caress. Given.

Tycho's eyeliner is especially Pete Wentz-y in this one.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Oh my god :swoon: Pretty sure this is the greatest thing. Ever.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Golden-i posted:

Please do. Refurb and Tycho are The Best Dog and Cat Buddies. :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Can't stop staring at refurb trying to scratch with the missing leg. so Fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the tits
Mar 17, 2011

mophymophymophy

Golden-i posted:

Never stop. Refurb and Dogface consistently make my day.

• Locked thread