Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also worth noting: Japan got the Zelda Oracle games on the 3DS VC today; apparently Aonuma's written something about the impending NA/PAL release on Miiverse, but I don't have a Wii U so I can't read it.

This is some of the best news I've heard about 3DS Virtual Console games. Sure, Link's Awakening was good, but the Oracles are pretty much the best Zelda games ever. That's a day one buy for me right there.

Any word on whether they'll have any special functionality hacked in for sharing rings and secrets between the two games, or will we still have to use the old password system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Laser Spider posted:

This is some of the best news I've heard about 3DS Virtual Console games. Sure, Link's Awakening was good, but the Oracles are pretty much the best Zelda games ever. That's a day one buy for me right there.

Any word on whether they'll have any special functionality hacked in for sharing rings and secrets between the two games, or will we still have to use the old password system?

You'll now be able to access the home menu and use the in-system notepad to write down the password! No external paper writing utilities required! :downs:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
The Oracle games coming out on eShop is one of the best pieces of news. I'm so excited to grab them. Even though I somewhat recently played through both of them.

Having never played the Monster Hunter franchise, I think this demo is finally my time to check it out. We'll see how this turns out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The demo for Castlevania is up in Europe in case you would like to see how it turned out.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I've been wanting to wait until Crashmo drops in price, so thanks to Nintendo for letting me get it on sale.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Monster Hunter demo is up in NA, though it wasn't appearing under the recent arrivals. Searching for Monster Hunter will get you to the main game hub and you can download it from there, though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Monster Hunter demo opens up with a screen saying it is incompatible with the Circle Pad Pro

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Dehry posted:

The Monster Hunter demo opens up with a screen saying it is incompatible with the Circle Pad Pro

That is amazing.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Dehry posted:

That's...just the demo, right? Right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They're releasing the CPP XL in Europe because of Monster Hunter. While it's a dumb thing the demo doesn't support it, I imagine it's to reduce its file size.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Just a note, looks like the NA WiiU eShop also has the 50% off Mighty Switch Force sale like EU

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

The T posted:

You'll now be able to access the home menu and use the in-system notepad to write down the password! No external paper writing utilities required! :downs:

How long has there been an in-system note pad? How do I get to that?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

citizenlowell posted:

How long has there been an in-system note pad? How do I get to that?

Since launch, I believe. Press the pencil at the top of home menu.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

It's funny how often I forget that stuff. Like that you can open the web browser with a game suspended in the background, ashamed to say I needed some gamefaqs refreshing on links awakening.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chance posted:

It's funny how often I forget that stuff. Like that you can open the web browser with a game suspended in the background, ashamed to say I needed some gamefaqs refreshing on links awakening.

That doesn't work with non-3DS retail titles, does it? Whenever I try going to the home menu while playing a VC game it asks me if I want to quit or make a save-state.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ChaosArgate posted:

That doesn't work with non-3DS retail titles, does it? Whenever I try going to the home menu while playing a VC game it asks me if I want to quit or make a save-state.

It won't work with DS/DSiWare games or GBA ambassador games, but it works with everything else.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only problem with the in-game browser is that it's usually much faster to just pause the game and pull up a walkthrough on my smartphone than it is to open and load one on the 3DS. The same with the notes feature--when I was playing VLR it was a lot easier to take notes in a real pen-and-paper notepad than it was to switch back and forth to type in passwords and such.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Okay, I've got a problem: I tried to add funds to my eShop account with my credit card but it gave me an error and nothing went through, okay whatever. A day later, I see that it charged my card but it didn't add any funds to my account. Who do I call to complain about this? Nintendo's customer support section on their site doesn't tell me anything.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Is the charge the same as the amount you tried to add? Nintendo may have just put a hold on your card, then never released it due to the error. Give it a few days and maybe it'll clear up.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Yes, it's the same amount. It's been about 3 days already though and still didn't clear up.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

yellowcar posted:

Yes, it's the same amount. It's been about 3 days already though and still didn't clear up.

Does it say "Pending" or does it list a date. If it's pending, it's not a real charge yet and will go away.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The T posted:

Does it say "Pending" or does it list a date. If it's pending, it's not a real charge yet and will go away.

Yeah it's in Pending. I guess I'll wait a bit then.

Thanks guys.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Retro City Rampage will finally come out on WiiWare on February 28 for 1000 points. It will include the NES prototype as one of the arcade games.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Yechezkel posted:

Retro City Rampage will finally come out on WiiWare on February 28 for 1000 points. It will include the NES prototype as one of the arcade games.

"PC players will also get to experience the bonus mode thanks to a free update scheduled to release alongside the WiiWare version." Oh thank God. For a moment I thought Nintendo went berzerk and forced him to make the NES version Wii-exclusive.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
But PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 versions won't get it. :argh:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Where are the Donkey Kong Land games? They are conspicuously absent.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Where are the Donkey Kong Land games? They are conspicuously absent.

Nintendo has quality standards to uphold.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

elf help book posted:

Nintendo has quality standards to uphold.

They're no worse than Super Mario Land.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They're no worse than Super Mario Land.

The real talk is Nintendo probably doesn't want to put them up and doesn't want to deal with Rare.

The donkey kong snes games were pulled from the wii vc too. I wouldn't hope for dk on the vc.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Yechezkel posted:

But PS3, Vita, and Xbox 360 versions won't get it. :argh:

I don't know about the others, but after the first update, each new 360 update requires recertification, which is believed to cost a five-digit sum starting with a four.

One of these days, I'd love to see a Kickstarter for a patch.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I've heard that although Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong franchise, the games have to be continually relicensed to be on the Wii Virtual Console. Since the Wii U eShop is a new platform, it would require a new license, so the license for DKC on the old Wii Shop Channel could have been allowed to expire. The DKC trilogy was pulled on the day of the Wii U launch in NA, and five days before the EU launch, so this makes sense, doesn't it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No-one has any evidence whatsoever that Nintendo has to renegotiate anything re: DKC, they're just working backwards for an explanation as to why they were pulled, because Nintendo isn't ever gonna give one.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What are some good non-Crashmo/Pushmo eShop games from both DSi and 3DS eShop. I already got all I want from the VC side of the store, but out of the eShop I only got Pushmo/Crashmo, Cave Story, Pictobits, and Four Swords.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rirse posted:

What are some good non-Crashmo/Pushmo eShop games from both DSi and 3DS eShop. I already got all I want from the VC side of the store, but out of the eShop I only got Pushmo/Crashmo, Cave Story, Pictobits, and Four Swords.

Dillon's Rolling Western is a fun little odd Tower Defense/Action game with a western theme and it's pretty solid all around. Little rough if you're left handed at first but I got used to it.

Gunman Clive is another western themed game this time a sort of Mega Man clone straight down to those stupid little 5 shot turrets. Has a lot of little nods to other games and a bunch of fun boss fights. Also lets you play as an unarmed duck and try to cross levels. Best 2 buck game I ever played.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
No one is privvy to the reasons, or can say for sure what happened, but we can use inductive reasoning to postulate that Rare, as the developer, is entitled to royalties, and that these involve a license to distribute.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Rirse posted:

I really like Denpa Men.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I really like Denpa Men.

New username

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Commissar Ken posted:

Gunman Clive is another western themed game this time a sort of Mega Man clone straight down to those stupid little 5 shot turrets. Has a lot of little nods to other games and a bunch of fun boss fights. Also lets you play as an unarmed duck and try to cross levels. Best 2 buck game I ever played.

Has a cool thing where you can play as the damsel and rescue Clive instead, too. Very fun game, bit short but good value considering the low price.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Has a cool thing where you can play as the damsel and rescue Clive instead, too. Very fun game, bit short but good value considering the low price.

I hate this game because it's mind numbingly easy until the last like four levels where it becomes a clone of Mega Man 1, but those last four levels are incredible. I wish it was a whole game of that. If you play as the damsel in distress she can't move and shoot at the same time which makes it SLIGHTLY more challenging. The real fun though is that after you beat the game once you unlock the duck that you shoot to get power ups, who can fly short distances but cannot attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I loved the art style of Gunman Clive and definitely thought it was worth the 2bux. I only got about an hour and ten minutes of gameplay out of it, but I didn't finish the game with the Damsel. Doing the pacifist run as the duck was pretty awesome though.