Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Measly Twerp posted:

Oh my loving god, I just punched the air. September is too long, it had better be worth it.

If it's anything like their last 4 albums, it won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

Definitely some black'n'roll going on but luckily they're doing it better than Satyricon ever will.

This is what I was pretty much what I was thinking last night after listening to Welcome Farewell for the first time, yet I'll never confirm or deny it. I'm anticipating the new Satyricon to sound something like a black metal version of The White Stripes. Satyr has a tremendous hard on for them and he isn't afraid to experiment, drastically change up the sound of the band and musically take them into a new direction. The Canadian band Chapel is still my current fix for black 'n' roll. SATAN!!!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
You'd think after 4 awful albums back to back he'd realize he's not good at experimenting.

At least do that poo poo under a different band name instead of ruining an ok legacy. I can't listen to nemesis divina without thinking about what they've become.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Jesus Fenriz is going Unabomber

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Nocturno Culto kind of has a Fabio look going on.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Morbid Florist posted:

You'd think after 4 awful albums back to back he'd realize he's not good at experimenting.

At least do that poo poo under a different band name instead of ruining an ok legacy. I can't listen to nemesis divina without thinking about what they've become.

Hey now. I loving love Volcano, and the following albums are different but not horrid. gently caress Rebel Extravaganza though, it was both too far away from Nemesis Divina and not close enough to Volcano to be good.

I'm hoping he does something good again.

Morbid Florist posted:

gently caress, he looks sick.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Measly Twerp posted:

Hey now. I loving love Volcano, and the following albums are different but not horrid. gently caress Rebel Extravaganza though, it was both too far away from Nemesis Divina and not close enough to Volcano to be good.

I'm hoping he does something good again.

gently caress, he looks sick.

Age of Nero was OK for a few songs like Commando, Black Crow on a Tomb Stone and The Wolfpack, but I kind of felt like the album had about 3 chords across the whole thing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

A Plastikman tattoo. That's unexpected.

For anyone who is not familiar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSCcnrSnXFY

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Someone in one of the metal threads posted about the new Sacriphyx album streaming in full on the NWN bandcamp, I can't find the original post, so I'm going to post it again in the BM thread because it scratches the itch for old school Rotting Christ worship really loving well.

If the person who originally posted the link to it sees this, thank you.

Listen, the second track is particularly good

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nomapple posted:

Someone in one of the metal threads posted about the new Sacriphyx album streaming in full on the NWN bandcamp, I can't find the original post, so I'm going to post it again in the BM thread because it scratches the itch for old school Rotting Christ worship really loving well.

e: it's on the most recent page of the metal thread, my bad, but I'm enjoying this so much it deserves to be posted twice. The LP is already up for sale at Iron Bonehead for Euros, and NWN should have their copies soon.

e: meant to hit edit on my last post but obviously clicked "post" again. gently caress.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nomapple posted:

You're welcome.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have you guys heard new Abyssal? They have a new album, Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. The best way to describe it is that it's loving bleak, man.

Here's a song from it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3HWGmhOSA

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I somehow missed a new Fifteen Dead release on the end of January. It's a split that, sadly, only has 1 Fifteen Dead track and it's the exact same version of Antitheist that was on their previous EP. The other band on the split however, Wölfe, is what I've been looking for ages. Raw, thrashy black metal meets old-school grindcore with really crazy vocals. The whole split is available for streaming at: http://www.cvltnation.com/the-wolfefifteen-dead-split/

edit: Their demo in it's entirety is also available for streaming, it's an absolute monster: http://www.cvltnation.com/untitledwolfe-i-review/

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 18, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Well, the new Darkthrone album is pretty much as great as I thought it would be.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Grave Miasma was mentioned a couple of pages back, and I've pretty much been repeating Exalted Emanation nonstop. I need more, anything similar?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Teitanblood, Muknal, Embrace of Thorns, Necros Christos, Vasaeleth. More atmospheric but Vassafor is amazing. You would probably like Antediluvian as well.

e: Cruciamentum has GM members, so yeah.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 18, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Also, Witchrist, Maveth, and Desolate Shrine.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Generally speaking most new death metal has elements of that sound in it now. Drowned, Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Dead Congregation, Venenum, Ignivomous, Disma, Ataraxy, Dominus Xul, Necroblood, Whore (from sweden), Grave Wax, Necrowretch, Profaner, Herpes, Blaspherian, Swallowed, Grave Ritual, Ascended, Burial Invocation, Morbus Chron (early stuff) etc etc

Some other stuff that doesn't really fit but is good too: Cerekloth, Entrapment, Eroded, Bastard Priest.

I'd grab the goat molestor demo too. Also try old Tiamat and some of the older greek bands, there's similarities.

[edit] Since I'm recommending metal of death, listen to these bands or die screaming.

And these.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2013

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Thank you goons, that's a hefty chunk of bands, and inevitably my playlist for the week. :respek:

Straight off the bat; I like what I've heard of Desolate Shrine, Maveth and Embrace of Thorns. I'll start digging into the rest at work tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have we talked about how truly ridiculous black metal can be? I bust out laughing every time I see this Immortal video. Dig the song, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Generally speaking most new death metal has elements of that sound in it now. Drowned, Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Dead Congregation, Venenum, Ignivomous, Disma, Ataraxy, Dominus Xul, Necroblood, Whore (from sweden), Grave Wax, Necrowretch, Profaner, Herpes, Blaspherian, Swallowed, Grave Ritual, Ascended, Burial Invocation, Morbus Chron (early stuff) etc etc

Some other stuff that doesn't really fit but is good too: Cerekloth, Entrapment, Eroded, Bastard Priest.

I'd grab the goat molestor demo too. Also try old Tiamat and some of the older greek bands, there's similarities.

[edit] Since I'm recommending metal of death, listen to these bands or die screaming.

And these.

Still waiting for that Obscure Burial demo to appear on something other than cassette. *sigh*.

Also Drowned (used to?) share members with Necros Christos, right?

PS. Listen to Krypts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWcSQLKp5s

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

The only place that I've found with it in stock is the label
http://demonhood.bigcartel.com/

I'm sure the band is too small to have any other real distribution. It'd be nice to not have to import it though.

edit: well this place has it slightly cheaper http://distro.todestrieb.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=5138
Still an assrape but what the hell, it's not like retirement is part of my future.

Contagion Releasing got back in touch with me. They have MCs and are waiting on LP copies of it. If you haven't already ordered it, you should check them out in a couple of days when the site is back up. Shipping will probably be much, much less.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Well, the new Darkthrone album is pretty much as great as I thought it would be.

I like it, but it feels like there's something missing that Circle The Wagons, FOAD, etc all had. I can't put my finger on it yet. Most of their newer albums take me a few spins before I bow before them and hopefully this one's like that.

I've only heard it once through but so far there's no song I'd throw on automatically to sell someone on it. Maybe that's it, no stand out WOW song. They're all good but there's no Too Old Too Cold relentlessness, no awesome jam-out like Stylized Corpse... (ok Come Warfare kinda has one)

It's also only 6 songs :(

I like it, but I hope it grows on me more.

edit: I guess Leave No Cross Unturned is their full out assault song but since that was the preview track I kinda feel like we heard the best poo poo already. Honestly I was kinda hoping for at least half the songs to be this good.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 19, 2013

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
It isn't even a Darkthrone album, except in name only. It's pretty much a split CD between a modern incarnation of Isengard and Nocturno Culto.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I really feel like this is the album they've been wanting to make since, The Cult Is Alive. It's an amalgamate of punk/crust/black/metal. Free of limitations by following any one sub-genre by playing the music they are fans of. I respect the hell out of them for doing this. True, time will eventually tell, but I initially feel like it's probably the best thing they've done since Panzerfaust.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I agree with both sentiments but right now it's coming off definitely like a split between Culto solo and Isengard (even though Isengard was blacker than this)

This is one big loving departure though, mostly due to the vocals in my opinion. Valkyrie....if it wasn't for the signature riffing you'd have to think twice before calling it Darkthrone.

I enjoy it but I'm not gonna lie, I want more Cult Is Alive/FOAD :black101:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Morbid Florist posted:

I like it, but it feels like there's something missing that Circle The Wagons, FOAD, etc all had. I can't put my finger on it yet. Most of their newer albums take me a few spins before I bow before them and hopefully this one's like that.

I've only heard it once through but so far there's no song I'd throw on automatically to sell someone on it. Maybe that's it, no stand out WOW song. They're all good but there's no Too Old Too Cold relentlessness, no awesome jam-out like Stylized Corpse... (ok Come Warfare kinda has one)

It's also only 6 songs :(

I like it, but I hope it grows on me more.

edit: I guess Leave No Cross Unturned is their full out assault song but since that was the preview track I kinda feel like we heard the best poo poo already. Honestly I was kinda hoping for at least half the songs to be this good.

It just feels less angry to me, I know that's a very vague description to give but that's simply what is missing for me.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Solefald posted:

It just feels less angry to me, I know that's a very vague description to give but that's simply what is missing for me.

That might be most of it right there. There's barely even the gently caress you sneer going on, let alone outright hostility in the vocals. Dare I say you could almost call this extremely hard rock?

I'm ashamed of myself for even thinking it :(

Musically speaking, Culto's songs are better but Fenriz' are the ones that get any headbanging/air drums

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

This is one big loving departure though, mostly due to the vocals in my opinion. Valkyrie....if it wasn't for the signature riffing you'd have to think twice before calling it Darkthrone.

I must say, when Fenriz's vocals kick in, I must have this really big dumb smile across my face. I can appreciate neither of them giving two fucks what their vocals sound like on this album. Creative bliss! Yeah, I agree, it reflects a lot on what he did in Isengard, but doesn't that kinda make sense? I think it has something to do with him growing older (early 40's?). Not that he's mellowing out or anything, but just the fact that he's producing the music purely on the discretion of what he likes. Regardless of what a record label or fan base says a Darkthrone album should sound like. There has to be something incredible satisfying for an established artist to be able to do that in today's music industry. Not to mention rare. I kinda feel like the whole album is a tribute to the music they grew up listening to in the 80's (Manilla Road anyone?) and a big gently caress YOU to modern metal. Fenriz, the champion of "Old Metal"!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You call your metal black?! It's just plastic, lame and weak!

That's pretty much what I get out of late era Darkthrone. As you guys said, it's a big gently caress you to everything and I love it.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Have we talked about how truly ridiculous black metal can be? I bust out laughing every time I see this Immortal video. Dig the song, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w

this is the most ridiculous metal of any sort has gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ-2YW8wLc
highlighted by the fact that the band is considered "white power metal", so i guess not technically black metal, but this is a black metal guy (from Nokturnal Mortum)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sauska posted:

this is the most ridiculous metal of any sort has gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQ-2YW8wLc
highlighted by the fact that the band is considered "white power metal", so i guess not technically black metal, but this is a black metal guy (from Nokturnal Mortum)

That is terrible. Congratulations, you win the worst music ever prize.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
After giving the new Darkthrone a few spins, I really enjoy the hell out of it. As most people have stated so far, it's still a departure in a lot of ways. Despite that, every time Fenriz comes on I just laugh and start headbanging. It's just so goddamn entertaining and I can't help but like it. I dare say that they can do no wrong, departures and all.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Finist may be the most ridiculous white power music I've heard yet, and that is saying something.

Am I a bad person for liking these tracks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rFaKJZTjMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdZdZYdCeQ

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Oldstench posted:

Contagion Releasing got back in touch with me. They have MCs and are waiting on LP copies of it. If you haven't already ordered it, you should check them out in a couple of days when the site is back up. Shipping will probably be much, much less.

Mine showed up last night. This is really good. This album was way too hard to find for how good it is. My only beef is that the drums sound beyond fake, and it came with no liner, no track listing, zero. For $20 I at least thought I had the song names coming to me in print. :mad:

I don't even like synths in black metal but they pull it off.

edit: anyone see marduk/inquisition yet? I'm going tomorrow night and the number of bands is troublesome. I think inquisition is going to get 10 minutes, moonspell is going to yammer on for an hour and marduk...I have no idea what they're going to do.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 21, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Mine showed up last night. This is really good. This album was way too hard to find for how good it is. My only beef is that the drums sound beyond fake, and it came with no liner, no track listing, zero. For $20 I at least thought I had the song names coming to me in print. :mad:
That's a bummer. Glad you got it though.

Morbid Florist posted:

edit: anyone see marduk/inquisition yet? I'm going tomorrow night and the number of bands is troublesome. I think inquisition is going to get 10 minutes, moonspell is going to yammer on for an hour and marduk...I have no idea what they're going to do.

I'm worried about the same thing. I'll be seeing them in about a month. I'm sure Inquisition will get 30 to 45 minutes and Marduk will get at least an hour, but why couldn't they have left Moonspell in Portugal?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Seriously why is moonspell even on this? Did they take some br00tal turn in the 10 years since I last listened to them?

I won't lie, I liked them up until their 2nd or 3rd album, but in my mind they have as much in common with Marduk as Alcest does.

I guess the singer did have a mean bark back in the day.

edit: trying to get in gear for the show, listening to Serpent Sermon. This is loving good. I may even say I like it more than most of what Marduk's put out. Slower, menacing, not just a total wall of blast beats

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I saw Moonspell open for Opeth almost 10 years ago. I was rather pleasantly surprised!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Another year, another loving Burzum album. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan to be released in May. I hope the lyrics touch on tabletop RPGs. That would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'll be happy as long as they aren't the D-sides from Belus. Fallen had its moments but the last one was....unmemorable.

I do wish he'd get a sharper/harsher guitar tone this time though.