Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd be partial to a cement freeway divider and one of these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
It's times like this when the overlap between AI and TFR makes me warm inside.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Expedition? Or Explorer? I have an Explorer but for some reason I can't tell with the image.

Either way, I think a loving oven destroying your engine on the freeway is up there with "log falling off of a logging truck and careening through the windshield" on my pant-making GBS threads list. Not quite as high, but very close.

I remember a story a while back when a woman who had been brain dead gave birth in Denver after carrying to term on life support.

A car or truck starter had fallen off the deck of a flatbed tow truck bounced off the freeway surface, and then careened through her windshield into her face.

Dradien posted:

Saw this while looking at some mining vehicle carnage. Makes me cringe.

No info other then a shoddy Chinese tire.

It looks like some sort of failure of the "through wheel" automatic inflation system?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Snapped belt, probably several.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yay! My new blower motor for my e320 showed up today! :woop:

Can't wait to get started! It's cold as hell out there!

Thanks, supplier for your awesome TP wrapping job. And thanks, Fedex, for playing bocce with your product!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PainterofCrap posted:

Thanks, supplier for your awesome TP wrapping job. And thanks, Fedex, for playing bocce with your product!

What the hell, was that all the wrapping/protection the supplier put around that unit?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When I ordered my blower motor (probably the same part), it came wrapped in that form-fitting foam stuff that they pump as a liquid and then dries in the shape of your item.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Dradien posted:

I thought those big loving tires didn't have that much air in them PSI wise. I know I run high PSI in my truck, but I thought those only ran like 45 PSI or so.

Still that is a lot of air in those tires under pressure. And would a .308 be able to go through those tires? Some of those fuckers have like half a god damned foot of rubber on them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

DISCO IS NOT DEAD!

http://youtu.be/EtaZ48fERfc

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

And would a .308 be able to go through those tires? Some of those fuckers have like half a god damned foot of rubber on them.

You're right. Better be safe and bring the 50 cal Bohica upper with some of that surplus AP I got last year.

If it can make it through 1/2" plate at 100, I'm sure it would make it through that tire at 500.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like to imagine that truck tire shops have some kind of robot like a police bomb defusal robot to poke those tires into submission.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like to imagine that truck tire shops have some kind of robot like a police bomb defusal robot to poke those tires into submission.
They're called 14".

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

InterceptorV8 posted:

I thought those big loving tires didn't have that much air in them PSI wise. I know I run high PSI in my truck, but I thought those only ran like 45 PSI or so.

Still that is a lot of air in those tires under pressure. And would a .308 be able to go through those tires? Some of those fuckers have like half a god damned foot of rubber on them.

The tires on jingle trucks proved remarkably resistant to .223. I'd imagine you'd need something substantial to pop a tire like that.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Not to mention Kevlar belts. Wouldn't they need a lot of PSI to handle the loads?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

hosed if I know the psi poo poo, but Goodyear's 52/80-57 tire holds 946 gallons of water at a 75% fill....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

They're called 14".

Aww, you remembered :v:

For the rest of you, I had a passenger car tire like that that i stabbed with a ream expecting to just make it pop and it put me on my back.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I imagine they actually have quite a bit of pressure in them, they need it to carry 10's of tons of rocks and dirt.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

mutt2jeff posted:

I imagine they actually have quite a bit of pressure in them, they need it to carry 10's of tons of rocks and dirt.

But they also don't drive fast. Maybe I should say at X weight you are limited to Y speed kinda deal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Aww, you remembered :v:

For the rest of you, I had a passenger car tire like that that i stabbed with a ream expecting to just make it pop and it put me on my back.

There was a video posted in AI a few months back, I think, that showed a guy in Asia stabbing a truck tire with a knife to scare the guy into paying protection money. His arm was nearly severed, his elbow was definitely hyperextended.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

InterceptorV8 posted:

But they also don't drive fast.

Loaded rock trucks hum along pretty good 40k. We kept the tires around 70 psi for the Volvos 30's we run, bigger machines with heavier loads run them upwards of 110 psi. When we had to run them to another site a few km down paved roads, we set them for 85 psi and were able to keep them fairly stable at 70km/h.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DefaultPeanut posted:

Loaded rock trucks hum along pretty good 40k. We kept the tires around 70 psi for the Volvos 30's we run, bigger machines with heavier loads run them upwards of 110 psi. When we had to run them to another site a few km down paved roads, we set them for 85 psi and were able to keep them fairly stable at 70km/h.

I was thinking more along the lines of Liebherrs, but yeah, those pressures are higher than I was thinking.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mutt2jeff posted:

Hundreds. Hundreds of tons. A Liebherr T-284 weighs around two hundred and sixty tons empty, can carry four hundred tons of ore, and costs around six million dollars.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Braked hard on the freeway yesterday morning. Traffic went from ~50 to a dead stop real, real fast. I call them "fast stops" and they terrify me because they occur from time to time due to accidents and such and cause secondary rear-enders and the like.

The HOV lane was still flying by me though. And just as I was praising the traffic Gods that I didn't get rear-ended, I hear a nice CRUNCH. Not like a lil' babby rear ender. More like, nice solid high speed contact. As I go to look over my shoulder I am greeted with the sight of a SUV sliding/spinning down the HOV lane on its roof and then right by my car, debris going all over the place.

How he didn't pinball of of me and others in my lane is a loving miracle.

Slow down yall.

e: This was me for a few minutes after :stare:

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 22, 2013

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

You're right. Better be safe and bring the 50 cal Bohica upper with some of that surplus AP I got last year.

If it can make it through 1/2" plate at 100, I'm sure it would make it through that tire at 500.

:smug:
http://www.outlawperformance.com/theplate.htm

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Dradien posted:

Hehe I am reading on my phone like usual and came across this. I audibly said oh poo poo and move my phone away from my face. Lol I guess I'm still tire shy after blowing one of the truck tire stretching it.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 22, 2013

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dradien posted:

While we're on the mining truck kick, here's one I came across today after doing a reverse GIS on your pic.

Mining Mayhem: Lightning Strike on 777

Haul truck driver was waiting out an electrical storm, as per SOP. The truck was hit by lightning. All four rear tyres blew; the body of the left outer wheel was found 250 meters away with the rim a further 50m away. All windows were blown out, driver ran like gently caress.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Memento1979 posted:

While we're on the mining truck kick, here's one I came across today after doing a reverse GIS on your pic.

Haul truck driver was waiting out an electrical storm, as per SOP. The truck was hit by lightning. All four rear tyres blew; the body of the left outer wheel was found 250 meters away with the rim a further 50m away. All windows were blown out, driver ran like gently caress.

Holy gently caress. :stare:

A lightning strike up close is loud enough, I can't even imagine the shock wave from that + four of those massive tires exploding. Wonder if the guy lost both eardrums?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Boat posted:

Holy gently caress. :stare:

A lightning strike up close is loud enough, I can't even imagine the shock wave from that + four of those massive tires exploding. Wonder if the guy lost both eardrums?

I imagine it would have made the same sound the cement truck made in that memorable MythBusters episode that they blew to smithereens.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fermunky posted:

I imagine it would have made the same sound the cement truck made in that memorable MythBusters episode that they blew to smithereens.

*BRRMMPH!*

But most likely on a much larger scale.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

That nails it, one of the coolest sounding explosions I've heard anyways.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Wow that looks like standard Mercedes-Benz packing. They ship a blower like that but will send a single o-ring in a huge box with tons of bubble wrap. I've even seen them fold chrome moldings in half to fit into a box.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Stone platform? Check. Stacked wood? Check. Got a light? :v:

The real failure is that is standard procedure for what, just about any procedure more in depth than a oil change? :rimshot:

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Even low pressures are scary when they're in large volumes. I read about an accident where there was a really big pressure tank with a door on it. Someone needed to get in so they were letting the pressure out, but they'd only gotten it down to like 3 PSI when they opened the door, thinking that 3 PSI wouldn't be a big deal or misreading the gauge or something. I forget if they were killed or just injured when they broke the seal and the door basically exploded out at them.

Lets say the door was 42 inches wide and 80 inches tall. That's 3360 square inches. At 3 pounds per square inch, that's more than 10 thousand pounds of pressure on the door.

If those tires are pressured to anything close to (or more than) a car tire, that is terrifying.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pressure does crazy things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Every time I see "Byford Dolphin" the phrase "his entire thoracic spine was ejected" comes unbidden to my mind.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Opensourcepirate posted:

If those tires are pressured to anything close to (or more than) a car tire, that is terrifying.

I just remembered I was at a tire place picking up tires and they had some brand new "big" tires, bigger than for a semi, but not those mine truck loving huge ones, that for some reason were destroyed or unable to be sold, so they cut out huge chunks in the sidewalls to render them no good for anything other than yard art. And I'm not kidding, the sidewalls looked half a foot thick. I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to be around one of those doing what that picture shows them doing. But I sure as gently caress would love to watch the video of them popping that tire with an anti-tank rifle.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Memento1979 posted:

gently caress. That.

Sitting in a truck when a tire blows 20 meters behind you is scary enough.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

And you've posted one of my two biggest "whoa...drat. Life sucks sometimes" wikipedia articles. Here's the other one, which could be described as a mechanical failure:

"Wikipedia posted:

On September 24, Ivo, Devair's brother, scraped dust out of the source, taking it to his house a short distance away. There he spread some of it on the cement floor. His six-year-old daughter, Leide das Neves Ferreira, later ate a sandwich while sitting on the floor. She was also fascinated by the blue glow of the powder, and applying it to her body, showed it off to her mother. Dust from the powder fell on the sandwich she was consuming; she eventually absorbed 1.0 GBq, total dose 6.0 Gy.

. There, they began dismantling the equipment. That same evening, they both began to vomit. Nevertheless, they continued in their efforts.

On September 15, Pereira visited a local clinic where his symptoms were diagnosed as the result of something he had eaten, and he was told to return home and rest.[1] Alves, however, continued with his efforts to dismantle the equipment, which was now sitting under a mango tree in his back yard. In the course of this effort, he eventually freed the caesium capsule from its protective rotating head. However, his prolonged exposure to the radioactive material led to his right forearm becoming ulcerated, requiring amputation.

Though the demon core is also up there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
This week a man in MD was killed by a tire.

http://www.wtop.com/46/3230213/Mechanic-dead-after-tractor-tire-explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

And you've posted one of my two biggest "whoa...drat. Life sucks sometimes" wikipedia articles. Here's the other one, which could be described as a mechanical failure:
I'd actually regard it as a "Stupid pikey failure" myself, but aside from that, I don't really follow how this:

quote:

In light of the deaths caused, the three doctors who had owned and run IGR were charged with criminal negligence. The main cause of this incident was the severe negligence of the facility's former operators who had left behind such a dangerous item.

Can follow on from this:

quote:

On September 11, 1986, the Court of Goiás stated it had knowledge of the abandoned radiological material in the building.

quote:

Four months before the accident, on May 4, 1987, Saura Taniguti, then director of Ipasgo, the institute of insurance for civil servants, used police force to prevent one of the owners of IGR, Carlos Figueiredo Bezerril, from removing the objects that were left behind. Bezerril then warned the president of Ipasgo, Lício Teixeira Borges, that he should take responsibility "for what would happen with the caesium bomb".

quote:

The owners of IGR wrote several letters to the National Nuclear Energy Commission, warning them about the danger of keeping a teletherapy unit at an abandoned site, but they could not remove the equipment by themselves once a court order prevented them from doing so.

How can you be criminally negligent for someone stealing dangerous material if you're prevented from removing it, even having explained that it's dangerous?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)