Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oldstench posted:

Another year, another loving Burzum album. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan to be released in May. I hope the lyrics touch on tabletop RPGs. That would be neat.

With any luck we'll get more pictures of Varg cosplaying in the woods again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
This one will be about cave paintings...

...and how they predicted the all out race war!!!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Colour me intrigued by that Cult of Fire album that's been mentioned the last few pages, will definitely be checking that one out soon.

Enjoying the new Darkthrone more than I expected to. All of the tracks seem good, and Leave No Cross Unturned has really grown on me. Personal favourites so far would be the first 2 tracks, both have great riffs.

Man I hope Inquisition come over to the UK again soon, I couldn't go when they were here with Revenge. I lament this about once a week...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Oldstench posted:

Another year, another loving Burzum album. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan to be released in May. I hope the lyrics touch on tabletop RPGs. That would be neat.

God, why won't Varg just go away?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Smoking Crow posted:

He has a very, very lengthy explanation, do you really want to hear it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

:10bux: is hardly lengthy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zodijackylite posted:

Sure, I'll bite.

Is this about how he stabbed Euronymous and then went to jail, or is this about how he he hates all other black metal dudes for "acting gay?"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just buy his book and you will understand the place of Paganism in ancient scandinavian history!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

muike posted:

Just buy his book and you will understand the place of Paganism in ancient scandinavian history!

Don't forget to watch that film he's making with his wife as well!

I thought Fallen was pretty good, didn't think a whole lot of the other 2 though, and certainly don't have high hopes for this one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Smoking Crow posted:

Cause he makes some pretty good music?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Vintersorg posted:

Cause he makes some pretty good music?

I would disagree, but at the same time, I can't separate him from his music. All I hear is racism whenever I listen to Burzum.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I wasn't referring to anything specific, just his long-winded rants that he publishes on burzum.org.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Smoking Crow posted:

I would disagree, but at the same time, I can't separate him from his music. All I hear is racism whenever I listen to Burzum.

All I hear is a guy wailing and screaming over decent music (until the last album)

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 22, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Smoking Crow posted:

I hear a guy shrieking in a language I don't understand so really who cares what he thinks about non-whites.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Yeah let's not listen to cool music because they hate someone based on their race. gently caress God though, right? Isn't that a double standard? Just listen to the music, the message can either grab you or not. Listening to Arghoslent and Nokturnal Mortum haven't made me a Nazi or anything similar.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Yeah let's not listen to cool music because they hate someone based on their race. gently caress God though, right? Isn't that a double standard? Just listen to the music, the message can either grab you or not. Listening to Arghoslent and Nokturnal Mortum haven't made me a Nazi or anything similar.

I'm not arguing with you here, but how is it a double standard being OK with listening to blasphemous music (if you aren't religious, or even anti-religious) but not OK with listening to racist music? Atheism/LHP/Laveyan or orthodox Satanism =/= racism in my opinion. I could see you stating there is a double standard w/r/t anti-humanist sentiment in bm vs. racism, but that's not what you said.

You also realize that you aren't listening to the music in a vacuum. You are supporting the bands and, by giving them money, any political or racial groups they may be affiliated with as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oldstench posted:

You also realize that you aren't listening to the music in a vacuum. You are supporting the bands and, by giving them money, any political or racial groups they may be affiliated with as well.

Do we really need to go down this road? Have you ever bought a coke? Congratulations, you support literal Nazis, apartheid, slave labor, the assassination of pro-union employees and a laundry list of other poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man it's been a while since we've had a good* NSBM discussion

(*there's no such thing as a good NSBM discussion)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Jesus loving christ. Consider me "told".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Judge not a man by the content of his music but by the length of his jorts.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Smoking Crow posted:

When I listen to Morrissey all I hear are his lovely Conservative party reminiscent opinions. No wait I don't. Although I guess listening to Morrissey means I'm a terrible person.

Varg is probably helping with antiracist views, considering his writings on race are dumb as gently caress to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When you make a masterpiece like this one can safely ignore whatever racist poo poo that is spewed outside the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguSt3P5PkI

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone see Agalloch live? Trying to see if it's worth the drive. They are playing with some dark ambient band that I'm not really into.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Religion is a choice, race is not. It's pretty amusing to hear that the guys from Arghoslent voted for Obama though, since he's a product of white society or something. There's a lot of political extremists in extreme metal, I generally avoid supporting them, but it's also a reality that there are crazy and prominent musicians who are more likely to be able to financially support the nutty causes they support, like Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, and Jon Schaffer.

But what's really important and black metal is that "Gelal Necrosodomy" of Grand Belial's Key sells 100 pounds of sausage each month, and while at farmers markets with his wife, they sell 900 empanadas per week plus lots of sweet Latino cookies. Oh yeah, and GBK has lots of delicious riffs and drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01uS-C-7woU

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 10, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Cazz Grant really was one of the best black metal vocalists and drummers of all time, especially on Judeobeast Assassination where his playing was sloppy as hell but still managed to sound really cool. Gelal needs to re-hire him and write another album.

"CHRIST, human being, FONDLER OF MANHOOD"

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

err posted:

Anyone see Agalloch live? Trying to see if it's worth the drive. They are playing with some dark ambient band that I'm not really into.

I've seen them twice, most recently on their Faustian Echoes tour. They played for over two hours with a perfect set list and made everything way heavier than the studio versions. Plus they burn aromatic wood which sounds gimmicky but the smell plus alcohol plus music makes you feel gooooood. If you're into them at all, go.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

err posted:

Based on the two live recordings I've heard I would jump at the chance to see them.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

err posted:

I saw them some time before FE was released and thought they were great. If they'd played Not Unlike the Waves it would've been perfect. There's a great atmosphere to their show as well, I found it very uplifting.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Sweet. I'll go for sure. It's also in their hometown and before they leave for their Europe tour. Should be good.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

err posted:

I've seen them a half dozen times and they are consistently entertaining and solid. Go see them.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

err posted:

Sweet. I'll go for sure. It's also in their hometown and before they leave for their Europe tour. Should be good.

Hey, thanks for the heads up! Turns out they're coming to my town, too.

Went to see Pagan Rites and Aura Noir yesterday. Not really my cup of tea, too fast, but they both put on a drat good show. Especially Pagan Rites who were one man short. Aura Noir did an awesome Bathory cover.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

err posted:

I will be at this show. I saw them at Branx last year and they were amazing.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Glad I found this thread, normally I just hang out in the pure metal thread.

1: I love thrash and death metal, but I've never been able to get into pure black metal. I've tried listening to some older black metal , but the absolutely atrocious production level just loving kill it for me. What would be some good babby's first black metal albums to ease me into the genre? Then when I'm used to it I'll try and tackle the ones that sound like they were recording in a cardboard hobo shack 50 miles away from civilization. And the microphone is 10 miles away from the shack.

2:I have a boner for Skeletonwitch that is embarrassingly large, and possibly interfering with my day to day life. What are the best blackened thrash bands out there right now? Besides Skeletonwitch.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Black thrash:
Deströyer 666 and Aura Noir are mandatory imo, both great bands. Gospel of the Horns are also well worth checking out if you dig D666's sound. Melechesh aren't exactly black thrash but they loving slay and you should be listening to them.

Black metal not recorded in a shed during a storm:
Watain
Dissection
Newer Rotting Christ (Revisit the older stuff for sure if you get over the production issues you have.)
Enslaved
Winterfylleth
Anaal Nathrakh
Behexen (From what I remember the newer stuff isn't that necro, but my definition of what constitutes necro is probably more than a little warped by now)
Marduk IMO the last 3 albums are good and not that necro.

If you like atmospheric BM then dig into Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room and Altar of Plagues, but I have mainly concentrated on more straight forward BM without the necro production value (with the exception of Winterfylleth and Enslaved who are a bit proggy). Nathrakh have a bit of death metal and industrial in their sound too, it's loving vile (in a good way). I hope you find something you like here anyway. Watain, Melechesh and Enslaved basically converted me into a full blooded black metal fan.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

rxcowboy posted:

Glad I found this thread, normally I just hang out in the pure metal thread.

1: I love thrash and death metal, but I've never been able to get into pure black metal. I've tried listening to some older black metal , but the absolutely atrocious production level just loving kill it for me. What would be some good babby's first black metal albums to ease me into the genre? Then when I'm used to it I'll try and tackle the ones that sound like they were recording in a cardboard hobo shack 50 miles away from civilization. And the microphone is 10 miles away from the shack.

Mörk Gryning's ‎Tusen År Har Gått was the first black metal album I was able to get into, and my fondness for it has held up over the years. I really need to get around to hearing their later albums one of these days.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
I got into real BM by starting with Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir when I was fourteen. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone though, nomapple's suggestion sounds much better.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Therion posted:

I got into real BM by starting with Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir when I was fourteen. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone though, nomapple's suggestion sounds much better.

Don't be silly, Principle of Evil Made Flesh, Dusk and Her Embrace and For All Tid are fantastic albums regardless of what the bands turned into.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

Don't be silly, Principle of Evil Made Flesh, Dusk and Her Embrace and For All Tid are fantastic albums regardless of what the bands turned into.

I will always have a soft spot for Progenies of the Great Apocalypse as well. What a song!

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

m-o-o-n posted:

Cruelty was probably COFs last good album, then something happened with Midian and they were never the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
black thrash? Nifelheim, Vulcano, Poison (!!!), Cruel Force, Nocturnal, Nocturnal Graves (who's new album will utterly kill), Slaughter Lord, Witchaven, Urn, Old, Perversor, Flagellator, Sarcófago, Ketzer, Witching Hour, Force of Darkness, Mongrel's Cross, Assaulter, Razor of Occam...Could go on and on and on.