Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Does it concern anyone else how many consoles this is coming out on? PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, presumably the next Xbox, and now Wii U? Won't the weaker versions of them hold back the rest of them?

I'm getting pretty scared of a scenario like Just Cause 1 had where the PC port was ported from the PS2 version and not the Xbox 360/PS3 version.

It seems more like a GUN scenario, where the next-gen versions just run a lot better and are in higher definition (480/720 last time, 720/1080 this time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A this point I'm more worried about the game pulling off 10% of the crazy poo poo they're promising than I am about whether the port will be any good. UbiSoft's PC ports have been good (Assassin's Creed) and... not good (From Dust) so we just have to hold our breath and hope I guess.

I thought the port was fine for from dust, the only large issue was them lying about the DRM measures in place. I played it on launch through Steam and it controlled fine. Any issues with frame rate or whatever had to do with the base programming, not any particular aspect of porting from one platform to another.

I'd say Ubi's PC ports have been just fine, all things considered. But yeah, those videos look loving amazing. haha.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
According to Giant Bomb the demo was running on a PC so hopefully that means they'll port the next gen version

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
That's good to hear. I'm not a console person and I was a bit worried this wasn't coming to PC.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Digging around, here's a post show interview with some more info. Multiplayer info! Kinda Dark Soulish.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ezxpr9/watch-dogs-ps4-event--post-show-interview--stream-

Edit: Another~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkNqloQfqA

^^^ This one has a lot of good info

Daztek fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 21, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yesssssssssssssss I want that semi-multiplayer to be so drat good. I really hope Ubisoft doesn't gently caress this up somehow. I told myself I wouldn't hold my breath on this one but I am.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Definitely looking forward to this, but I'm not going to be getting the PS4 any time soon; I only got my PS3 a year or so ago. Hopefully the current-gen version will look almost as good. :)

On a side note, any Chicago goons in this thread? How does what you see of the city in the video compare to actual Chicago?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The amount of fun i'm going to have in this game is portional to the level of potential dickery against NPC's. The best games are those that turn you loose and you go around doing completely inane stuff that may or may not have a reward.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

DaveKap posted:

Yesssssssssssssss I want that semi-multiplayer to be so drat good. I really hope Ubisoft doesn't gently caress this up somehow. I told myself I wouldn't hold my breath on this one but I am.

They nailed it with Far Cry 3, by creating a good game and then listening to the fanbase by integrating features from mods into official patches. Ubisoft learned how to video game finally.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am going to spend hours just walking around and checking peoples income levels.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

keyframe posted:

I am going to spend hours just walking around and checking peoples income levels.

I'll rob all the execs and give their cash to homeless veterans.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So have they alluded as to what kind of character Aiden will be? I thought the part where he stole money from the pro-life/tobacco executive was a little silly. Will he only steal the identity of 'bad' people?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Daztek posted:

Digging around, here's a post show interview with some more info. Multiplayer info! Kinda Dark Soulish.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ezxpr9/watch-dogs-ps4-event--post-show-interview--stream-

Edit: Another~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkNqloQfqA

^^^ This one has a lot of good info

I can't watch youtube at the moment, what is the concept for multiplayer?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Javes posted:

So have they alluded as to what kind of character Aiden will be? I thought the part where he stole money from the pro-life/tobacco executive was a little silly. Will he only steal the identity of 'bad' people?

He didn't steal that money, the "player" did. I'm sure if you wanted you could steal from the poor and give to the rich. The plot will probably only deal with really objectively evil dudes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Javes posted:

Eh, they just wanted to make that part uncontroversial, I bet. Can you imagine the possible PR disaster if they had highlighted him hacking the bank account of a single mother shoolteacher or something?

edit: I also think that guy's bio was supposed to be ironic, as a 'pro-life' tobacco exec :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicero posted:

edit: I also think that guy's bio was supposed to be ironic, as a 'pro-life' tobacco exec :v:
drat, that is pretty smooth.

My favorite thing about Watch Dogs. (aside from whenever I see the title, I imagine some dude staring at a dog forever) is that, so far, it sounds as standalone a title as GTA, so it'll be fulfilling to play and I won't have to worry about weird frayed stringy bits at the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The White Dragon posted:

My favorite thing about Watch Dogs. (aside from whenever I see the title, I imagine some dude staring at a dog forever)

Watch Dogs.: The Men who Stare at Dogs (In Multiplayer)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

drat, that is pretty smooth.

My favorite thing about Watch Dogs. (aside from whenever I see the title, I imagine some dude staring at a dog forever) is that, so far, it sounds as standalone a title as GTA, so it'll be fulfilling to play and I won't have to worry about weird frayed stringy bits at the end.

No chance this game won't have some ridiculously complicated meta-plot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, it's a new Ubisoft property. I'd be surprised if they didn't have outlines for at least the first five games in the series.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

scary ghost dog posted:

He didn't steal that money, the "player" did. I'm sure if you wanted you could steal from the poor and give to the rich.

I'm gonna play this game doing nothing but this. I don't even care about story missions :v:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As long as they have enough variety, I can see it working.

But I just have a hard time seeing it actually work even if they have thousands of NPC's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder where they're going to fit in the Assassin's Creed insignia and make small, tiny nods to the series this time around. I mean, they did it in Far Cry 3, why not here?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This game is looking more and more like Sleeping Dogs, what with the QTE parkour and the slo-mo shooting of tyres/destructible objects and the foiling of random street crimes.

But really, the appeal of this game is the urban power fantasy of having a magic phone that can hack reality. Because who in this day and age hasn't fantasised about this kind of thing?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I just finally heard about this game, watching this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13VzWTSyjU

Which I know is running on a PC, but it looks and feels like the game I've always wanted.

I'm just pleased that Sony has already got the Blu-Ray disc hardened, lets fill it up with 30 gigs of game assests!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Boxart! PS3/Xbox360 versions are floating around too, but who cares about those!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Why the heck is the ground so shiny?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Sober posted:

This is like if they made a Person of Interest game :allears:

Someone did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdA8-PSQfA

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Read After Burning posted:

On a side note, any Chicago goons in this thread? How does what you see of the city in the video compare to actual Chicago?

In the first video it looked like they did a pretty good job of rendering a stretch of State Street downtown. The club's location and exterior was more or less The Chicago Theater, for example. There were a lot of little modifications overall, but it was very identifiable and I felt like I could navigate based off of memory.

This second video I'm trying to place. I'm not saying it's not a real place- I obviously haven't canvassed every mile of the city- but to me it looked like an amalgam of downtown and an upscale northern neighborhood, like Lincoln Park. I could easily see it being a little stretch near the riverwalk that I haven't spent much time around, however, and if another Chicagoan comes in and identifies it, it'll probably click in my head.

E: I'm pretty excited for this game for a lot of reasons, but I'm rrrrrreally interested in seeing how close to the actual city layout they cleave. If it's close enough, this will be the first sandbox game where I actually know where I'm going most of the time without needing a line on a minimap directing me.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 22, 2013

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, I really hope the final showdown happens at Wrigley Park

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

mysterious frankie posted:

If it's close enough, this will be the first sandbox game where I actually know where I'm going most of the time without needing a line on a minimap directing me.

Yeah, I heard GTAIV was good for that, but the only sandbox game where I've actually been to the actual city is San Fran.

I wonder if there will be lots of stuff to do in the city? If it goes the route of including arcade games or whatever like other sandbox games do...you better be able to hack them. :colbert:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Young Freud posted:

It's already looking like most of the people aren't hackable and, those that are, the information looks to be just flavor text likely randomized and useless to the game.

Perhaps someone's already said this. Nevertheless, it seems that only people who are currently using their phone are hackable.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I don't think the Personal Information is just flavor text and might actually be variables that are given to decide what random events can happen in the sandbox. The woman in the demo for example was in a custody battle and runs into someone who has a restraining order, maybe the game sees these two and if they come within the vacinity of each other it has a chance to trigger an appropriate event. This is all just speculation based on what little footage we have but that's my take on it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
While committing massive invasions of privacy, I used identity theft to steal 800 dollars from some guy, then damaged an ATM. I realized some woman might get attacked, so I followed her to an ally, threatened the mugger with my concealed carry pistol, then chased him down alleyways until I brutally pistol-whipped him into unconsciousness/death. Some loving cops didn't agree with me running around with a gun out in public while chasing someone, so they came after me, but I hacked into systems and fired at their vehicles, possibly maiming or killing at least two of them, while destroying their patrol cars and causing massive public and private property damage. After which I hacked a train with my smartphone, possibly injuring countless more people inside it by triggering the emergency breaks without warning, and climbed on its roof.

I am such a hero.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 22, 2013

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Maleh-Vor posted:

While committing massive invasions of privacy, I used identity theft to steal 800 dollars from some guy, then damaged an ATM. I realized some woman might get attacked, so I followed her to an ally, threatened the mugger with my concealed carry pistol, then chased him down alleyways until I brutally pistol-whipped him into unconsciousness/death. Some loving cops didn't agree with me running around with a gun out in public while chasing someone, so they came after me, but I hacked into systems and fired at their vehicles, possibly maiming or killing at least two of them, while destroying their patrol cars and causing massive public and private property damage. After which I hacked a train with my smartphone, possibly injuring countless more people inside it by triggering the emergency breaks without warning, and climbed on it's roof.

I am such a hero.

Actually he used a baton like in the first video I think?

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Maleh-Vor posted:

While committing massive invasions of privacy, I used identity theft to steal 800 dollars from some guy, then damaged an ATM. I realized some woman might get attacked, so I followed her to an ally, threatened the mugger with my concealed carry pistol, then chased him down alleyways until I brutally pistol-whipped him into unconsciousness/death. Some loving cops didn't agree with me running around with a gun out in public while chasing someone, so they came after me, but I hacked into systems and fired at their vehicles, possibly maiming or killing at least two of them, while destroying their patrol cars and causing massive public and private property damage. After which I hacked a train with my smartphone, possibly injuring countless more people inside it by triggering the emergency breaks without warning, and climbed on it's roof.

I am such a hero.

Don't criticize my libertarian fantasy

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SEKCobra posted:

Actually he used a baton like in the first video I think?

Yep! Definitely a (almost definitely illegal) retractable baton.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

RandallODim posted:

My bad.

This game sounds kind of like GTA, and it might be fun, I just found the moral compass of the game to be completely hosed.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I hope they have hundreds and hundreds of different NPC backstories. I would hate it if I come across multiple "pro life tobacco executives" in the same area.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

RandallODim posted:

I'm pretty sure they are legal in most places without a weighted tip. Dunno about the surveilance city Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Maleh-Vor posted:

My bad.

This game sounds kind of like GTA, and it might be fun, I just found the moral compass of the game to be completely hosed.

Oh, it's entirely skewed. I'm invading these people's privacy for their own good! It's the same issue I had with that first mission they showed: if there's supposed to be some altruistic purpose to your vigilante justice, hopefully there's a better method for carrying it out than causing a six-car pile up.

• Locked thread