Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Wright Thompson is one of the best in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is an amazing article and I wish he could write a full length book about Jordan, because it's just really, really well done.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Looks like the article's been yanked now.

This is bullshit to me. Even if you no longer stand behind what you wrote, you shouldn't cowardly delete it. When you post it, you've posted it. Deleting articles and posts just feels like trying to rewrite history.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/2/21/4009152/spring-training-baseball-pat-jordan

Pat Jordan writes well.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thanks for posting that, that was a good read.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Fire Jay Mariotti blasted Bill Simmons again for his idiotic Ewing Theory (he was trying to apply it to the Celtics and Rajon Rando this time).

Someone please explain this to me. The Ewing Theory states that the Knicks somehow performed better without Ewing. And yet:
Number of Knicks titles while Ewing was on the team (including when he was injured): 0
Number of Knicks titles after Ewing left: 0

God you're a hack Simmons.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So ESPN decided to celebrate Black History Month and...well...either they got Drudge'd or a whole bunch of angry white people showed up at the same time.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

So ESPN decided to celebrate Black History Month and...well...either they got Drudge'd or a whole bunch of angry white people showed up at the same time.

Their majority demographic is low info white males, so no Drudge was really necessary

This can also be seen in how their internal comment flagging system has an entire category for misogyny directed at their female reporters/personalities.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Lemme guess...10,000 idiots yelling WHY IS THERE NO WHITE HISTORY MONTH?!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Am I confused on the definition or is that not what segregation is at all?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I'm just going to pretend he thinks the Congressional Black Caucus has their own little Congress place that is totally separate but equal.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah this is ending pretty much how I would expect it to end.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

haljordan posted:

Fire Jay Mariotti blasted Bill Simmons again for his idiotic Ewing Theory (he was trying to apply it to the Celtics and Rajon Rando this time).

Someone please explain this to me. The Ewing Theory states that the Knicks somehow performed better without Ewing. And yet:
Number of Knicks titles while Ewing was on the team (including when he was injured): 0

His podcast is alright with the right guest, but he is awful on NBA countdown.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

St1cky posted:

His podcast is alright with the right guest, but he is awful on NBA countdown.

I think Simmons does have a place on NBA countdown, but just overall the setup is terrible.

Wilbon is not an anchor. That much is clear. You got to get a Chris Fowler or Rece Davis type to be an anchor there.

Perfection would be having an anchor, one person who's good with interviews (NOT Rachel Nichols, perhaps you get a former WNBA/Team USA star looking to break into sports journalism), one former player (Magic fits okay here I guess), and hell, a guy like Simmons.

You can have a few guests come in place, but nothing permanent. I think the NFL today in the early 80's had a perfect formula that should have never been hosed with. Sometimes less is indeed more.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I saw Jay Mariotti in Venice the other day while I was getting my haircut. It was an exciting moment in my life!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

haljordan posted:

I've never really had a problem with Simmons. He's basically like if you or one of your buddies got insanely lucky and got hired by ESPN. I read his articles as the bullshit that you and your buddies talk about at the bar - and I think he views his writing that way as well, so I don't really mind. It's certainly not award winning worthy writing, but it's a fun way to pass the time.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
He's a hell of a lot more of a man of the people than Rick Reilly, and for that I will always cut him some slack.

Rick Reilly is the worst.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If any of my buddies started acting like Bill Simmons I would kick him in the dick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Today he posted some cockamanie 3 way trade involving KG, Josh Smith and The Clips, with the usual who says no crap...and I thoyught to myself "Uh, 2 of the 3 teams involved in that trade say no".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

(Magic fits okay here I guess)

Congrats your show already sucks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

but he's so personable how could he not be good on tv

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Today he posted some cockamanie 3 way trade involving KG, Josh Smith and The Clips, with the usual who says no crap...and I thoyught to myself "Uh, 2 of the 3 teams involved in that trade say no".

"Guys its so easy to be a GM! All you need to do is constantly trade for all the best players in the league! I'll be home waiting for the phone to ring with job offers." :smugbert:

OctoberBlues posted:

I've never really had a problem with Simmons. He's basically like if you or one of your buddies got insanely lucky and got hired by ESPN. I read his articles as the bullshit that you and your buddies talk about at the bar - and I think he views his writing that way as well, so I don't really mind. It's certainly not award winning worthy writing, but it's a fun way to pass the time.

A guy who makes as much money as Simmons should write better than some random goon at a bar though.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 22, 2013

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I will never understand the people who hold Bill Simmons to the highest of journalistic standards. That's not what his employer wants from him. That's not what his readers want from him. He's not a reporter. He's a guy who does columns. Sometimes I read them, sometimes I don't. I don't think they're particularly noteworthy, but they're ultimately harmless.

His writing is basically higher quality Bleacher Report, but he's leveraged his popularity to a) poo poo on ESPN when called for, b) give me a ton of amazing sports documentaries to watch and c) serve as the catalyst for the creation of a site which, despite a lot of poo poo there, has really good long-form pieces and gives me weekly sports columns from Charles Pierce. As annoying as he can be, he gave me 30 for 30, which, by the end of this year, will have resulted in nearly 100 ESPN documentaries as well as an increase in documentary productions by NBC Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NBATV and more.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 22, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sportsgenius86 posted:

As annoying as he can be, he gave me 30 for 30, which, by the end of this year, will have resulted in nearly 100 ESPN documentaries as well as an increase in documentary productions by NBC Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NBATV and more.

I'm not a fan of his stuff for the most part, but in all fairness, giving him credit for 30 for 30 makes him responsible for more quality material than most ESPN "personalities" combined.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I'm struggling to find anyone else to put in that slot.

There's only one Charles Barkley.

sportsgenius86 posted:

As annoying as he can be, he gave me 30 for 30, which, by the end of this year, will have resulted in nearly 100 ESPN documentaries as well as an increase in documentary productions by NBC Sports, NHL Network, NFL Network, NBATV and more.

Very much agree with this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN just needs to pay a lot of money to Chris Webber to be their lead guy. Problem solved.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The second part of that article on Simmons is up:
http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/2013/02/bill-simmons-revisits-one-of-stupidest_22.html

On the gereral subject of Bill Simmons, I do kind of like his mailbags (though really more for the actual letters than anything he adds), but otherwise I don't like how he turns just about anything into an anecdote about himself. Perhaps the worst/most hilarious example of this was when he made an article ostensibly about the NFL season opener, but actually mostly about his dog making GBS threads:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/36195/nfl-opening-night-the-cowboys-will-ruin-your-rug

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Like I've said, if he wrote for Deadspin or any other trendy blog he'd be a hero. His writing is not much different than favorites like Betheleham Shoals who is worshipped in the same circles that bash Simmons. ESPN just puts a huge target on anyone's back and makes a lot of other bloggers insanely jealous. To me he's like any other popular blog out there, hit or miss. When you write for a trendy blog, 90% of your work can be poo poo and no one cares. That 10% will get passed around like scripture. When you write for ESPN, you can't write anything that is poo poo. I do think his podcast is pretty good and he does a great job of getting his guests talk about interesting stuff.

The NBA show has gotten better. Magic is real bad, but I guess they sort of need that "legend" spot filled by someone. Wilbon is the guy that I can't stand on the show. I like him in other stuff, but he comes across sort of smug on the show and I just think they'd be better off with someone who can lead the panelists better. Ernie Johnson does this better than just about anyone.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 22, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

haljordan posted:

A guy who makes as much money as Simmons should write better than some random goon at a bar though.

This is unfair because the reason Simmons became so successful and in turn made as much money as he did is because he wrote like a random goon at a bar. That was (and still is) the entire point.

He's developed a pretty bad habit of overreaching on subjects he really shouldn't be going on about (we get it, Seattle was screwed out of their basketball team and it does suck for them. There's no need to remind us of this fact any time there's even an incidental mention of the Thunder.) but I still quite enjoy his writing

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

To me, anyways, he comes across as the guy who sits down next to you at the bar and proceeds to talk nonstop about incredibly pointless and boring poo poo. I understand people like his writing, and I'm not jealous of him just because he works for ESPN (if I was jealous of everyone who was more famous/wealthier than me, my only friend would be a hobo). I find a lot of his writing to just be really hackneyed. Like the Mailbag Columns, for example. I think that's an incredibly lazy premise to start with, especially considering how often he uses it. Plus, a good chunk of the letters (which I pray are fake) are of the "DEAR BILL I LOVE YOU HOW CAN I BE MORE LIKE YOU IN REAL LIFE" variety. Again, that's just my take on the matter but I don't blame anyone who likes his stuff. I'm sure I listen to music by bands that a lot of people hate and read books by authors that people would scoff at.

Now anyone who likes Gregg Easterbrook, however, is my sworn enemy.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 22, 2013

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Pretty sure this is the sports journalism thread, not sure why y'all talking about Bill Simmons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Literally anyone. Magic is about as bad as televised sports personalities get. Jalen Rose is already right there and a lot more entertaining. Or we could finally just drop this fiction that just because someone played a sport they have anything even remotely interesting to say about it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wouldn't someone like Stan Van Gundy be good on the show? I always think a coach would make a great addition as they see things in the game differently from everyone else. Phil would be unique too.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Wasn't Stan saying last year that he had a deal lined up with ESPN that mysteriously got pulled off the table?

as far as Simmons goes...he generally doesn't seem to take himself seriously, but then you have situations where he's legitimately upset that he wasn't made general manager of an NBA franchise. His column's are hit and miss, but I like his podcasts, and as someone said earlier, he'll forever be ok to me for giving us 30-for-30.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Simmons Argument Stadium

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jackie D posted:

Wasn't Stan saying last year that he had a deal lined up with ESPN that mysteriously got pulled off the table?

as far as Simmons goes...he generally doesn't seem to take himself seriously, but then you have situations where he's legitimately upset that he wasn't made general manager of an NBA franchise. His column's are hit and miss, but I like his podcasts, and as someone said earlier, he'll forever be ok to me for giving us 30-for-30.

Yes. He said the NBA threw their weight around to make sure he was not on there.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Simmons is okay but his Big Book of Basketball was unreadable. I had to put it down because he was just sucking off the Celtics the entire book.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLXYO4tCqUw&feature=youtu.be

Going to leave this here.

ESPN is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Spoeank posted:

Simmons is okay but his Big Book of Basketball was unreadable. I had to put it down because he was just sucking off the Celtics the entire book.
There's also the tremendous sexism of it, which was a huge turnoff to me, even though I think I have a lot of thick-headed male blindness to that sort of thing.

http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2010/12/17/the-book-of-basketball-and-staggering-casual-sexism/

Emma Span wrote that, and she's a phenomenally laid-back person who rolls with almost any joke on Twitter. I read the entire BoB and though bits like that did sort of bug me, I didn't think of them cumulatively. Put next to each other, they're really gross.