Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Can anyone recommend me a program that can take a bunch of .avi videos and batch convert them to .mkv/.mp4? I tried MP4tools and it works, the downside is that I have to add files one at a time which would take forever. Something that works like iFlicks would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Handbrake? http://handbrake.fr

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Awesome, thanks! Not quite as automated as I hoped but it will definitely work.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Handbrake is good and it's free. Magic Media Marker is also good and can convert some files properly where Handbrake won't, for some reason.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I haven't used it on my mac much, but I know the windows version will batch encode a bunch of files from a single folder. Not sure if you're processing them individually and queuing them up, you don't have to.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Kinfolk Jones posted:

http://www.osomac.com/apps/osx/handbrake-batch/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you've heard about an Apple exploit today...surprise, it's Java again! Supposedly it was spread through the "iPhoneDevSDK" forum, and may be behind recent Facebook and Twitter hacks.

http://allthingsd.com/20130219/this-is-the-site-likely-responsible-for-the-recent-major-tech-company-hacks/
http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/02/19/apple-comments-on-hacker-attack/

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!

horse mans posted:

No problem. I like fielding questions about productivity. Motivates me to get off my rear end and write an OP about Getting Things Done.

I'd definitely be interested in reading it if you did

edit- question:

I have a hard drive on my network through my Cisco LinkSys that just does not show up in Finder very often. Sometimes I will boot up my laptop and an hour later it will finally appear. Any ideas as to how I can get it to be recognized faster and more consistently?

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 21, 2013

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is there any plugin to format drives from within finder directly rather than going through disk utility? i.e. right click them in the sidebar and choose format?

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Is there a better alternative to Stuffit?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

For general compression/decompression or for .sit files? (I haven't seen one of those in ages)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

I use The Unarchiver which has taken pretty much everything I've slung at it with aplomb.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

Bob Morales posted:

For general compression/decompression or for .sit files? (I haven't seen one of those in ages)

General compression... I'll try out The Unarchiver, thanks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any good simple image resizers? Resolution and file size if possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unarchiver is also free on the app store so it updates itself.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Seriously, what the hell is a Dim Mak?
I am in search of some audio editing software that will allow me to trim a file from, say, 5 minutes to 3 minutes and allow for fading in and out. I used to use Adobe Audition but I'm wondering if there's anything similar.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MrMeowMeow posted:

I am in search of some audio editing software that will allow me to trim a file from, say, 5 minutes to 3 minutes and allow for fading in and out. I used to use Adobe Audition but I'm wondering if there's anything similar.
Audacity is still the go-to for general audio editing AFAIK.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
That is probably something you can accomplish with Garageband.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

At first I thought this was a joke/troll post

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Any good simple image resizers? Resolution and file size if possible.

Preview

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

strokevictim posted:

At first I thought this was a joke/troll post

StuffIt was a Mac institution for a long-rear end time, I'm not surprised that there are a few people still hanging onto it. Last time I installed it (which was years ago) it was already gross and bloated - can't imagine what it's like these days...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is it still common for nVidia Macs to crap out when MapsGL is turned on? Just wondering why I crashed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, Apple usually takes about a year or year and a half from introduction of a GPU to update nVidia drivers to the level of "wont crash most apps."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I just updated TextWrangler and I have a problem. The "Open Documents" pane used to have little diamonds that indicated I'd messed around with a file, and now it doesn't. Is there a setting I can change to get them back?

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
Does someone know why Chrome is suddently making my inactive tabs blue?

Specs:
Macbook Pro, 2,66GHz i7, 8GB, 330M 512MB
OS X 10.8.2

Chrome: 25.0.1364.99

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kristneder posted:

Does someone know why Chrome is suddently making my inactive tabs blue?

Specs:
Macbook Pro, 2,66GHz i7, 8GB, 330M 512MB
OS X 10.8.2

Chrome: 25.0.1364.99

I've got the exact same build of Chrome on 10.8.2 and it looks normal for me. Now I want the blue tabs!

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Lexicon posted:

I've got the exact same build of Chrome on 10.8.2 and it looks normal for me. Now I want the blue tabs!

I want to get rid of them :sigh:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
What is the best(cheapest) way to legally acquire Photoshop CS6? I take classes part time at a college and even with the discount it still costs $190. I'm also not thrilled with the subscription options that they provide, either. Are there any other venues to get it cheaper?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

What is the best(cheapest) way to legally acquire Photoshop CS6? I take classes part time at a college and even with the discount it still costs $190.
That's pretty drat cheap by Photoshop standards, and the route I took a few months ago.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's pretty drat cheap by Photoshop standards, and the route I took a few months ago.

I'm pretty new to graphic design. When the new version inevitably comes out will I have to pay full price, or do they offer an upgrade discount?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cyne posted:

StuffIt was a Mac institution for a long-rear end time, I'm not surprised that there are a few people still hanging onto it. Last time I installed it (which was years ago) it was already gross and bloated - can't imagine what it's like these days...

Maybe you just need to try Stuffit... DELUXE!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm pretty new to graphic design. When the new version inevitably comes out will I have to pay full price, or do they offer an upgrade discount?
There's no upgrade discount for students because $190 is already ridiculously cheap.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think the Student version isn't upgrade eligible. I may be wrong, but I think the retail on the upgrade version is either $199 or $299 so the student version is still cheaper. But if you finish school and can't get student pricing anymore, I think you'd have to buy the full version once before you could start buying the upgrade versions.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What does Photoshop have over cheaper/free solutions like GIMP and Pixelmator?
Genuinely curious as $190 seems ridiculous to me but I'm not a pro :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wdarkk posted:

So I just updated TextWrangler and I have a problem. The "Open Documents" pane used to have little diamonds that indicated I'd messed around with a file, and now it doesn't. Is there a setting I can change to get them back?

As soon as I try to switch to another document, it says YOU WANNA SAVE THIS OR NOT

gently caress TextWrangler.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Google 'GIMP vs Photoshop'. They aren't even in the same league.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Over pixelmator at least, it offers CMYK based editing, very important for print work. Plus photoshop has a much stronger layer editing system.

Plus at this point photoshop is pretty much a defacto standard, so a lot of companies stick with it to ease sending files about.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Chuck Bartowski posted:

GIMP is a joke. Pixelmator is a fine app, but it's got a much more limited feature scope than Photoshop. And, in this guy's case, you don't hired because you know how to use Pixelmator.

Edit: beaten :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

cbirdsong posted:

GIMP is a joke. Pixelmator is a fine app, but it's got a much more limited feature scope than Photoshop. And, in this guy's case, you don't hired because you know how to use Pixelmator.

Fair enough. I don't tend to use GIMP as it's rather ugly.

Bob Morales posted:

Google 'GIMP vs Photoshop'. They aren't even in the same league.

According to this test Pixelmator isn't too far behind. GIMP didn't do well at all though.

quote:

Conclusion
Photoshop is the overall winner, but Pixelmator is very close behind. GIMP didn’t put on a great show.

General users, amateur designers, and amateur photographers should get Pixelmator. It has lots of great standard-level features; a decent selection of pro-level features; and is a beautiful, fast app.

Professional designers and photographers should get Photoshop. It has all the professional features that Pixelmator lacks, and the user experience is entirely acceptable.

Really, GIMP isn’t the best choice for anyone. Its feature set is acceptable, but its interface and sometimes-lackluster results mean that it’s slow and frequently painful to use. Even if you’re on a tight budget, Pixelmator is well worth the money.

Edit:

Experto Crede posted:

Over pixelmator at least, it offers CMYK based editing, very important for print work. Plus photoshop has a much stronger layer editing system.

Plus at this point photoshop is pretty much a defacto standard, so a lot of companies stick with it to ease sending files about.
Ah, I can see that being pretty important for professional use.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
On an unrelated topic is there any way to see if an app is retina without DLing it on the App Store?

I'm specifically wondering about Wren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Tweet the devs